Nikon or Sony

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Sher Singh
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
Nikon or Sony
6 months ago

Hello Everyone,

I am not in photography profession & I never used a digital camera other then cell-phone cameras, but I would like to have SLR for personal use only. I'm from New Delhi, India and Nikon/Canon are very famous here. I'm a bit technical so 've done a bit of online research and found some interesting reviews on Sony/Nikon lineups but I hated Canon's technical terms. I did finalized Nikon D5200 but when I went to the shop it wasn't friendly where as with Sony A58 demo piece the interaction was easy or may be the difference in button positions or the presentation from both stores got me confused. I don't want GPS or wifi so I already rejected D5300/A65.

D5200 is around $200 expensive here as compared to A58, not an easy handling or may be I need to learn it and I indeed need a flip out screen so no D3x00 or D7x00 series pls. D5200 gives a better IQ & low light performance.

In Sony A58 I like EVF with Settings effects (from ads) & video, battery life but IQ does costs some amount of light. I also like stabilization and AF motor that increases support for a variety of lenses.

I want A58 but the image quality should be closer to D5200, the other feature of A58 attracting me with its cheaper price...

Any budget lens recommendation would also be helpful!

Best Regards
Sher Singh

Nikon D5200 Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Shunda77
Senior MemberPosts: 1,637Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon or Sony
In reply to Sher Singh, 6 months ago

Sher Singh wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I am not in photography profession & I never used a digital camera other then cell-phone cameras, but I would like to have SLR for personal use only. I'm from New Delhi, India and Nikon/Canon are very famous here. I'm a bit technical so 've done a bit of online research and found some interesting reviews on Sony/Nikon lineups but I hated Canon's technical terms. I did finalized Nikon D5200 but when I went to the shop it wasn't friendly where as with Sony A58 demo piece the interaction was easy or may be the difference in button positions or the presentation from both stores got me confused. I don't want GPS or wifi so I already rejected D5300/A65.

D5200 is around $200 expensive here as compared to A58, not an easy handling or may be I need to learn it and I indeed need a flip out screen so no D3x00 or D7x00 series pls. D5200 gives a better IQ & low light performance.

In Sony A58 I like EVF with Settings effects (from ads) & video, battery life but IQ does costs some amount of light. I also like stabilization and AF motor that increases support for a variety of lenses.

I want A58 but the image quality should be closer to D5200, the other feature of A58 attracting me with its cheaper price...

Best Regards
Sher Singh

The problem with Sony over Nikon is that you don't have as much choice when it comes to lenses, and the good Sony lenses seem to be very expensive.

The Nikon D5200 is also a very refined camera now with a good user interface, whereas the A58 has a few issues that could be a problem in certain circumstances.

I think the Nikon is the better option in this instance.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
OceanFroggie
Regular MemberPosts: 352Gear list
Like?

The image quality nowadays in all top brands is excellent relatively speaking. You can split hairs, but when looking at a nice photo that reminds you of a happy day five or more years later you won't be critiquing it for image quality, for non pros its job is to bring back memories to share. So concentrated on which camera you will prefer to carry, hold and use.

Try both out in store and buy the one that handles best for you personally. That comes down to weight, feel in hand, control layout, ergonomics, ease of use, looks, and most importantly what "feels" right for you. There is no right opinion, just reality.

OceanFroggie's gear list:OceanFroggie's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +1 more
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,388Gear list
Like?
Buy what YOU like best. Both are very good indeed.
In reply to OceanFroggie, 6 months ago

Both are excellent cameras.

Nikons are more 'traditional' with an optical viewfinder and slower live view.

Sony cameras are more innovative with the EVF, fast shooting rate and always on live view.

There are plenty of older Minolta lenses and many third party lenses for the Sony too - and plenty of Nikon lenses also.

I have shot Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Sony DSLR ( SLT) cameras and they are all very good indeed.

The final decision is up to you - buy what YOU like best.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
JCB123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,121Gear list
Like?

Sher Singh wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Best Regards
Sher Singh

Consider the Nikon D5100. It is a very capable camera and the 16MP sony sensor in it is a very very good sensor. Its an absolute bargain now too.

The 18-105 kit lens is optically very good and also a bargain.

I don't have any experience with Sony cameras (apart from the RX100 compact). I think the problem there is that they keep changing direction and introducing new lens mounts. That means that the lens range for any particular Sony system does not mature very quickly and also raises some doubts as to which systems they will continue to develope over time.  I was a Minolta SLR user in the days of film (Sonys A mount is the old Minolta AF maount) but Minolta were very late to produce APS-C DSLRs and I switched to Nikon with the advent of the D70. I have some minor niggles with Nikon but have not had cause to regret the choice. They have a broad system of lenses to choose from and a very capable flash system. There is also a wealth of third party support for Nikon regarding lenses, flash and other accessories.

Regards

John

JCB123's gear list:JCB123's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
Stephan Def
Regular MemberPosts: 273Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shunda77, 6 months ago

Shunda77 wrote:

Sher Singh wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Best Regards
Sher Singh

The problem with Sony over Nikon is that you don't have as much choice when it comes to lenses, and the good Sony lenses seem to be very expensive.

The Nikon D5200 is also a very refined camera now with a good user interface, whereas the A58 has a few issues that could be a problem in certain circumstances.

I think the Nikon is the better option in this instance.

Hello, you are right, the good "Sony" lenses tend to be from Zeiss and they are very expensive, that is one of the reasons I moved away from Sony and got my Nikon D5100 which, incendently, would probably be a good Camera for you too, if you can still get one. The D5100 still has the 16 MP Sensor, which has excellent low light performance and very good dynamic range. In the US they are available refurbished for very good prices.

As far as Sony goes: I am keeping my eye on them because I have this feeling that they will be rolling out a mirrorless APS-C Camera in the first half of this year. The SLT-A77 is about ready for an upgrade and I think they plan to drop the translucent mirror (which uses up too much light).  They already did this on the A7 and A7r. If they offer something comparable (without any mirror) for  their standard Alpha mount for their APS-C Cameras I would strongly consider buying it. I think this year is Photokina, so likely there will be some major anouncements coming our way.

Stephan Def's gear list:Stephan Def's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
Sher Singh
Like?
In reply to Stephan Def, 6 months ago

Thank you all for your precious time. Because of slow live focusing in Nikon I'm thinking about Sony. With Sony I can use cheap non stabilized lenses. I don't need Zeiss lenses but will look out for used Minoltas or 3rd party lenses.

baloo_buc
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,612Gear list
Like?

You almost never use a dSLR in live view. Sony has good sensors but the design cripples them quite much. The sensors are up to Nikon quality, some Nikon use Sony sensors, but because of SLT technology the light hitting the senor is only 70% of the one gathered by the lens their high ISO is at par with Canon sensors that are lagging behind for years.

Based on your question the experience with dSLR is zero so any dSLR will be way over your known IQ. If you are not requiring high ISO too much and like Sony handling you should buy this body (or the better A57). If you don't enjoy the camera you will use it seldom so the expenditure will not pay back in many good pictures.

baloo_buc's gear list:baloo_buc's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +9 more
Sher Singh
Like?
In reply to baloo_buc, 6 months ago

I've took demos of SLT live-view in sony stores, I'm learning and would definitely need it. A57 is expensive here, have the same price of a D5200.

Thanks for pointing out the ISO levels, A58 works well up-to ISO 3200 but ISO6400 is also acceptable in jpeg mode. I've compared ISO results between the twos and A58 is much better on ISO 6400

Sonyshine
Like?

You are absolutely correct that all lens become stabilised lenses on the Sony body. The live view works brilliantly too and is very useful for shooting low down or at awkward angles with the tilting LCD.

But the Nikon is a fine camera too with its Sony sensor and optical viewfinder if you prefer a more traditional way of taking photographs. Battery life is better on the Nikon too.

Whatever you decide I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Happy shooting!

Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
baloo_buc
Like?

The issue is that ISO 6400 will give you shutter speeds slower than a normal ISO 6400.

For example ISO6400 on Nikon D5200 is in reality ISO 4522 and ISO 3787 on Sony A58. So if D5200 will have in one light condition f/5.6 1/500 s Sony would have something like f/5.6 1/320 s.

In low light you would have f/2.8 and 1/25 s or f/2.8 and 1/15 s that may be the difference between a sharp photo and blurry one.

Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +9 more
Sher Singh
Like?
In reply to baloo_buc, 6 months ago

baloo_buc wrote:

The issue is that ISO 6400 will give you shutter speeds slower than a normal ISO 6400.

For example ISO6400 on Nikon D5200 is in reality ISO 4522 and ISO 3787 on Sony A58. So if D5200 will have in one light condition f/5.6 1/500 s Sony would have something like f/5.6 1/320 s.

In low light you would have f/2.8 and 1/25 s or f/2.8 and 1/15 s that may be the difference between a sharp photo and blurry one.

I've to be an expert to deal with such situations or we can just use flash! I already knew the IQ difference and that is the reason why I'm looking for EVF, Full time Live view with Phase-detection!

pew pew
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?

imho if you just doing photography you will be better with the Nikon , if you intend to use video as well maybe the sony.

pew pew's gear list:pew pew's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS 100D
Westmill
Regular MemberPosts: 290Gear list
Like?

Those that use Nikon will say Nikon while those that use Sony will say Sony... So Nikon lol  

Westmill's gear list:Westmill's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +2 more
baloo_buc
Like?

Apart from the high ISO usage the IQ is similar.

The Sony A58 is so cheap because Sony decided to cut almost all costs. For people that change the body every year these cost cutting measures don't count too much.

faram k
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?

Here's my experience owning similar cameras, which might help your buying decision.

I own the Nikon D7000. Previously, i had the Sony SLT-A65. For me it boils down to SLR vs SLT.

For my style of shooting (mostly flying birds/aircraft), i much prefer an optical viewfinder over an EVF. I find the jerky lag in the EVF in burst mode extremely distracting and makes it very hard to track erratic flying objects close by (as it is, its hard with an OVF and long lens

Also, having taken a large number of shots with each (in Raw), the High ISO image quality of the Nikons (D7000, D3100 in my case) are much better than that of the A65. This is purely my subjective opinion. As i use high shutter speeds most of the time, with a slow consumer telephoto, i can't avoid high ISOs.

Also, the EVF/LCD of the SLT are power hogs and battery drains relatively quickly.

For me, the main advantage of the A65 was its phase detect autofocus in video. It's outstanding. In comparison, Nikon's video autofocus is next to useless.

Finally, for static subjects at low ISO (or even objects moving predictably), i didn't find any difference in the end results of both cameras.

faram k's gear list:faram k's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 2.0x Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Sher Singh
Like?

I'm agree with you guys that Nikon provides the best IQ and better then Canon & other traditional DSLRs, but I needed a Consumer level DSLR not a Traditional DSLR.

Getting A58 + Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 at $800 tomorrow for the following reasons:

1. Big price difference, yes D5200 body cost here $700
  2. 5pfs burst rate, 8fps in telephoto
  3. Better battery life, 700 shots per charge, 690 with EVF
  4. Lock-On AF for kids & moving subjects.
  5. A58's sensor performs well with high ISO jpegs, better then Nikon APS-C
  6. With In-camera Stabilization I can use Tamron 17-50 non-VR version that provides excellent images at a very low cost
  7. Full time Live-View with both LCD & EVF displaying Live-Histogram & other camera settings.
  8. I've tested SLT EVFs in local stores and they works fine without any lag and totally acceptable
  9. Large viewfinder with 100% coverage
  10. EVF Very useful in sunlight/outdoors when display screen become unreadable. OVF goes dim in low light, EVF brightness can be managed.

Thank You!

Sonyshine
Like?

Sher Singh wrote:

I'm agree with you guys that Nikon provides the best IQ and better then Canon & other traditional DSLRs, but I needed a Consumer level DSLR not a Traditional DSLR.

Getting A58 + Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 at $800 tomorrow for the following reasons:

1. Big price difference, yes D5200 body cost here $700
  2. 5pfs burst rate, 8fps in telephoto
  3. Better battery life, 700 shots per charge, 690 with EVF
  4. Lock-On AF for kids & moving subjects.
  5. A58's sensor performs well with high ISO jpegs, better then Nikon APS-C
  6. With In-camera Stabilization I can use Tamron 17-50 non-VR version that provides excellent images at a very low cost
  7. Full time Live-View with both LCD & EVF displaying Live-Histogram & other camera settings.
  8. I've tested SLT EVFs in local stores and they works fine without any lag and totally acceptable
  9. Large viewfinder with 100% coverage
  10. EVF Very useful in sunlight/outdoors when display screen become unreadable. OVF goes dim in low light, EVF brightness can be managed.

Thank You!

As a long time (ex) Sony shooter I agree with most of your points - except 3,4 and 5 where the Nikon D5200 will be superior - but I am sure you will enjoy the Sony and the Tamron lens is a good choice too.

Have fun!

calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,306
Like?

The big difference overall is that with Canon or Nikon you can stay with their cameras as your interests in photography grow. There are more lenses and flash and other accessories from both these companies and third party companies for these two camera brands than you will find with Sony.

Something usually overlooked but there is no better single way to improve the average photographer's pictures than to take the flash off the camera. With the Nikon cameras with the internal Commander flash you can use a iTTL flash from Nikon or Metz or Quantum and have it off the camera and controlled wirelessly and get perfect exposures immediately.

evan47
Contributing MemberPosts: 694Gear list
Like?

Sher Singh wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Best Regards
Sher Singh

have you considered the sony rx10?

evan47's gear list:evan47's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads