Senior MemberPosts: 3,188Gear list
Like?
Re: On m4/3 they aren't sharp wide open, and worse bokeh
In reply to Pixnat2, 6 months ago

Pixnat2 wrote:

Jim Salvas wrote:

Pixnat2 wrote:

Jim Salvas wrote:

I don't get why the 45 is considered such a bargain. It covers a much smaller image circle than a FF nifty-fifty, but costs three times as much.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

You have to stop down those CaNikon lenses to f/4 to get decent results.

That should not be true on an MFT body, where you are already using the center of the lens, even wide open.

I've used quite a lot of FF 50mm lenses with adapter on m4/3 cameras, much better that the Nifty Fifty :

• Carl Zeiss 50mm f/1.4
  • Carl Zeiss 50mm f/1.7
  • Olympus OM 50mm f/1.4
  • Olympus OM 50mm f/1.8
  • Minolta MD 58mm f/1.4

Even if they use only the center, none of those lenses come close to the 45mm at f/1.8 in terms of sharpness. An the bokeh isn't up to the Olympus.

The only 50mm which was equal or better is the Zuiko 50mm f/2 (at f/2 of course!)

300$ (that's what I paid for a new copy in Switzerland!) for a useable wide open portrait lens with great bokeh is an absolute bargain IMHO!

P.S. The other bargain is the Nikon 85mm f/1.8G, which is a fabulous lens too, but a bit more expensive.

I agree on using FF lenses on M43. Wide open is usually sub-par. The argument about only using the central portion sounds reasonable until one checks test reports and finds that the 45/1.8 is better in the corners than these 50s in the centre.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pete Touhey
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus 25mm f/1.8 images and price

Pixnat2 wrote:

Looks great!

Link here

The lens seems to be made of the same vein as the 45mm f/1.8. Let's hope they'll share the same optical qualities!

An the price is right, IMHO.

-- hide signature --

I was kind of hoping for a 25mm pancake myself.  I was also hoping for a weather-sealed prime, but I guess that isn't going to happen anytime soon.  Walking around rainy New Zealand for a month with my new EM-1 and 12-40mm was great, but my neck I wished I had a small prime after a few hours.  Assuming it's somewhere in quality between the new 17mm and 45mm 1.8's, I'll probably pick one up.

Pete

Pete Touhey's gear list:Pete Touhey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +20 more
Impulses
Contributing MemberPosts: 848Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pete Touhey, 6 months ago

Could a weather sealed prime be as small as some of the current ones or would they have to be larger? Honest question, not rhetorical... Weather sealed bodies aren't a huge selling point for me due to the lack of variety in weather sealed lenses so far.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +20 more
reinish
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?
Re: Really interesting
In reply to LaMesa, 6 months ago

LaMesa wrote:

Thanks for the info, Frederic. To me the zoom looks incredibly small and attractive. I guess the design was inspirated by compact camera zooms.

Herbert

You mean "inspired" from two already existing Panasonic pancake zooms ?

mh2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,614
Like?
not a pancake. :(

I really wanted a pancake 25, even if it was only f2.8.

The little zoom looks amazing! I'm not a zoom-guy, but that little thing looks so cute I think I'd buy a new camera kitted with it just for the "awwwww" factor!

Not interested in the fisheye.

Wish they came out with a 25/8 bodycap.

If that really is the new 25, I think I'll just keep using my Sigma 30... which isn't a bad thing!

Thanks for the link!

-- hide signature --
Martin Ocando
Senior MemberPosts: 2,561Gear list
Like?
Re: 9mm f8 fisheye lens cap
In reply to Jim Salvas, 6 months ago

Jim Salvas wrote:

it looks like this new fisheye body cap will come in at around $100. If so, that's only $9 cheaper than the Nikon 50/1.8 sells for at B&H and the equivalent Oly lens, this new 25/1.8, will be three times as much.

Where is this format''s nifty-fifty?

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim, can you point us to where is the 100$ estimated price for the 9mm? I can't find it.

Thx.

-- hide signature --
 Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +6 more
Jim Salvas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,479Gear list
Like?
In reply to Martin Ocando, 6 months ago

Martin Ocando wrote:

Jim Salvas wrote:

it looks like this new fisheye body cap will come in at around $100. If so, that's only $9 cheaper than the Nikon 50/1.8 sells for at B&H and the equivalent Oly lens, this new 25/1.8, will be three times as much.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim, can you point us to where is the 100$ estimated price for the 9mm? I can't find it.

Thx.

-- hide signature --

43rumors had it listed at 10,000 yen. That comes out to $96, which I guessed they would round off to $100.

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-25mm-f1-8-and-14-42mm-f3-5-5-6-ez-ed-confirmed-to-be-released-soon/

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +8 more
amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,360
Like?
Meh

Not terribly interested in either offering.  Already have the 20/1.7, 12-35/2.8, and Voigt 25mm, so that FL is well covered.  Also not interested in a 14-42 zoom.  If I was going that small I'd prefer the 12-32 range of the Panny ... plus it has in-lens IS.  It just got an excellent review from SLRGear, too, so I don't see the Oly being better optically.

Altruisto
Contributing MemberPosts: 757
Like?
Re: Nice to have choice, but/because....
In reply to Jorginho, 6 months ago

Jorginho wrote:

We don't know how well these will perform. Bar the caplens, it will most likely be good. But....
12-32 mm as FL is more interesting than 14-42. Purely based on this, the Panny wins. It also has OIS...quite incredible.
25 mm f1.8. Lets assume it is as good as the 45 mm version. At 250 euro, great. But there are busloads who have the 20 mm 1.7. from 17-25 mm or so it is the lens to beat and it is the lens to have I think. Not the fastest focusser, banding can occur from ISO3200 and above. But it is small, very sharp and it is a very allround focal length. I am not going to buy the 25 nor the 17. The 20 mm 1.7 covers them both quite nicely.
If I were to be a new buyer, I would probably go for the 20 mm 1.7 too. Just not to have 2 lenses that are simply too close.

Caplens: fun thing.

I used the 20mm f1.7 for a year now, and it's really a jack of all trades, good for everything but not excellent anywhere. It's sharp but its image have no "personality"; it's not as wide and versatile as a 17mm, but it has some distorsion and is therefore not ideal for portraits ; and finally it's very difficult to have separation and thin depth of field with it, especially for portraits. I eventually bought a 25mm f1.4 and couldn't be happier! a lot more CA, but the colors, the native contrast and the shape of the bokeh are absolutely exquisite with the 25.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/altruisto/
http://www.facebook.com/tarekmradrtci
https://twitter.com/#!/tarekmrad
owning a Nikon D600 with a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, and a bunch of Nikon primes, a Nikon J1 but not particularly a Nikon fanboy, since I have an Olympus E-PL5, a Panasonic GX7, a Sony RX10 and a Canon S110 too!

C Sean
Regular MemberPosts: 279
Like?
In reply to Jerodequin, 6 months ago

Jerodequin wrote:

They appear fake to me - looks like someone has photoshopped images of the Oly 45 and 17mm primes.

Both the 12mm, 17mm and the 45mm share the same shape. So it's only logical the 25mm will have the same shape aswell. There maybe some differences in the exterior design but I can't see Olympus going with a radical design.

mister_roboto
Regular MemberPosts: 298
Like?
Re: not a pancake. :(
In reply to mh2000, 6 months ago

mh2000 wrote:

I really wanted a pancake 25, even if it was only f2.8.

The little zoom looks amazing! I'm not a zoom-guy, but that little thing looks so cute I think I'd buy a new camera kitted with it just for the "awwwww" factor!

Not interested in the fisheye.

Wish they came out with a 25/8 bodycap.

If that really is the new 25, I think I'll just keep using my Sigma 30... which isn't a bad thing!

Thanks for the link!

-- hide signature --

You could technically just get the 4/3 25mm f2.8 + put an MMF adapter on it, it would be pretty pancake like then. The combo would also be cheaper than this new µ4/3 25mm as well.

Although you use the Sigma 30mm... I don't have the size of the Oly 25mm µ4/3 lens yet, but I think that they might be comparable in size.

Martin Ocando
Senior MemberPosts: 2,561Gear list
Like?
Oops. sorry. I must be blind.

Jim Salvas wrote:

Martin Ocando wrote:

Jim Salvas wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Thx.

-- hide signature --

43rumors had it listed at 10,000 yen. That comes out to $96, which I guessed they would round off to $100.

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-25mm-f1-8-and-14-42mm-f3-5-5-6-ez-ed-confirmed-to-be-released-soon/

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Although, it seems a bit pricey for what it is. Unless it performs better than the 15mm.

I'm very interested in it.

-- hide signature --
 Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +6 more
Pete Touhey
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?
In reply to Impulses, 6 months ago

Impulses wrote:

Could a weather sealed prime be as small as some of the current ones or would they have to be larger? Honest question, not rhetorical... Weather sealed bodies aren't a huge selling point for me due to the lack of variety in weather sealed lenses so far.

I would't think a weather sealed prime would add that much bulk when compared to a large aperture.  The 60mm is weather proof and it's downright, but too long a focal length to use as a walk around street lens.  25mm would be an ideal focal length, I suppose it still might be weather sealed.  So all all hope is not lost.

Pete

Pete Touhey's gear list:Pete Touhey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +20 more
amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,639
Like?
In reply to mister_roboto, 6 months ago

mister_roboto wrote:

You could technically just get the 4/3 25mm f2.8 + put an MMF adapter on it, it would be pretty pancake like then. The combo would also be cheaper than this new µ4/3 25mm as well.

Although you use the Sigma 30mm... I don't have the size of the Oly 25mm µ4/3 lens yet, but I think that they might be comparable in size.

I had the 25/2.8, but with the adapter it stops being a pancake.

I would say that the easiest lens to make , and thus either pancake or fast or both is for some reason that which focal length corresponds to distance to flange. Perhaps it's a geometrical law?

Add to that that because of the squarish format 20mm is closer to normal then in other formats, so 25mm is not normal but slightly tele in m4/3 parlance.

Thus to me the Sigma 19/2.8 is still the best for walkabout with its great resolution wide open. (But it could have been a pancake, if native)

The 25/1.8 will be great for newcomers. One always forgets about them, but this must be a dramatically expanding format, if it is to survive. Expecting it to be a pancake was never to be. Let it be cheap.

The real test will be resolution at full aperture, since sensitivity of the format is high enough, but diffraction limit low. That starts to be a constraint, that Oly and Sigma understand v. well. Not much choice in apertures. Some 3 stops at max resolution?

Am.

mh2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,614
Like?
In reply to amalric, 6 months ago

>>Add to that that because of the squarish format 20mm is closer to normal then in other formats, so 25mm is not normal but slightly tele in m4/3 parlance.

This isn't exactly true, it depends on how you use your frame for what is closer to something else that isn't the same. Comparing the diagonal is not art or science, it's just convenience.

-- hide signature --
zkz5
Contributing MemberPosts: 646Gear list
Like?

Jim Salvas wrote:

The Sigma 30mm f/2.8

amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,639
Like?
In reply to mh2000, 6 months ago

mh2000 wrote:

>>Add to that that because of the squarish format 20mm is closer to normal then in other formats, so 25mm is not normal but slightly tele in m4/3 parlance.

This isn't exactly true, it depends on how you use your frame for what is closer to something else that isn't the same. Comparing the diagonal is not art or science, it's just convenience.

Perspective-wise you may be right. But psychologically the format works differently. People coming from 2/3 tend to crop in order to re-establish the  proportion between earth and sky.

In fact the 50mm eq. was chosen very arbitrarily. For you it's the Sigma 30mm, and for me the Sigma 19mm. Each according to favourite Genre and execution.

Technologically, in relation to distance to flange the P20mm, might be considered the true normal of m4/3, since it showed the best performance.

You know HCB spent is life with a Leica 35mm, and only very rarely used other lenses, but he never encouraged people to choose his own focal or the other. What makes one tick and deliver s really the essence.

Am.

thxbb12
Senior MemberPosts: 1,677Gear list
Like?
Weather sealing is not rocket science...
In reply to Impulses, 6 months ago

No, it doesn't make the lens larger. In fact, weather sealed lenses are just regular lenses with these few additions:

• Foam rubber behind front and rear elements
  • Scotch tape over access holes under rubber rings

More info about it here under "Speaking of Catchwords" paragraph (with pictures): http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/12/assumptions-expectations-and-plastic-mounts

In fact, any lens could be made "weather sealed" with little effort from the manufacturers without increasing the cost by much at all.

thxbb12's gear list:thxbb12's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +6 more
Iskender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,313
Like?
Re: Weather sealing is not rocket science...
In reply to thxbb12, 6 months ago

thxbb12 wrote:

No, it doesn't make the lens larger. In fact, weather sealed lenses are just regular lenses with these few additions:

• Foam rubber behind front and rear elements
  • Scotch tape over access holes under rubber rings

More info about it here under "Speaking of Catchwords" paragraph (with pictures): http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/12/assumptions-expectations-and-plastic-mounts

In fact, any lens could be made "weather sealed" with little effort from the manufacturers without increasing the cost by much at all.

That's not what your link says. It says that may be the case:

When you take lenses apart all day you find out it usually means ‘we put a strip of foam rubber behind the front and rear elements and scotch tape over the access holes under the rubber rings’.

and

And some (but not all) ‘weather sealed’ lenses also have internal gaskets around barrel joints and other added bits seals.

Basically, the most basic seals are simple, but we don't know what particular brands use. Knowing the abuse people subject Olympus gear to, I'd guess it's one of the better sealed brands. They also released a rated body in the past: the E-1 was rated to IPX-1, as I recall. However, I don't know what kind of sealing Olympus use - only that it works.

Even assuming the lowest mentioned level of sealing, the tiny 14-42 pancake would probably be larger with it: at such a small size, even a strip of foam rubber may be too big. Not to mention that everything has to be assembled and engineered, which is no small consideration in a pancake. I say "probably larger", since I don't know - and you can't know, either.

If manufacturers can make lenses sealed with no added size and little added cost, why would they *not* do it?

AndyGM
Contributing MemberPosts: 695Gear list
Like?
Re: Nice to have choice, but/because....
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, 6 months ago

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

Personally I'm hoping Sigma will make some more excellent Art lenses for m 4/3. My copy of the 60mm f2.8 is stunningly sharp wide open and AFs accurately and quite fast. It was a steal in terms of price and it is my new favourite lens on m 4/3. Now if they made a nice fast wide angle prime or 100mm 2.8 at the same price point that would be just the ticket....

The Sigma lenses we've had so far were modified from the DP3 Merrill lenses, so had focal lengths that made sense for APS-C (hence we got the 30mm which is a bit too long for a 'normal'). Sigma have already said any future Art DN series lenses are going to target as much of the mirrorless market as possible. APS-C mirrorless from Fuji and Sony have 35% of the market together, not that far behind the 45% that m43 has.

The next lenses aren't going to be modified lenses from another product, they are going to be clean sheet designs, so it is likely they are going to be compromise focal lengths that sort of work OK on APS-C and m43.

This won't matter so much if they make telephoto primes, but it does restrict how wide they are going to go (if they ever make wide lenses). They probably wouldn't go wider than 10mm at the very most, which on APS-C will give the same angle of view as 15mm on Full Frame, but just how many people on the Sony and Fuji systems would want that wide a lens. Even Zeiss didn't go that wide with their Touit lenses.

And a cheapy 14mm would struggle to sell on m43 when we already have one.

So the widest we'll see from Sigma will probably be 12mm.

A 100mm telephoto on m43 like you asked for would have the same angle of view of 200mm on Full Frame (a traditional focal length) but "150mm" on the APS-C systems (not so much of an old school focal length). So I'd guess they'd go for a longer compromise focal length.

AndyGM's gear list:AndyGM's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads