Super telephoto lens

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Ace of Sevens
Forum MemberPosts: 67Gear list
Like?
Super telephoto lens
11 months ago

I'm used to a point-and-shoot with a 35 mm equivalent focal length of 28-392 mm. I use the max length pretty frequently, mostly for wildlife photography. I've often wished for a bit longer. Are there e mount lenses in this range, or would I have to get one for a different camera, plus an adapter?

Ace of Sevens's gear list:Ace of Sevens's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Sport NEX5R Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,482
Like?
Re: Super telephoto lens
In reply to Ace of Sevens, 11 months ago

If you use the Sony SEL 55-210mm lens, that is the equivalent of 315mm vs your 392.  From that you will find that you can crop to a 392 equivalent and probably get a better image than you could from your P&S at 392.

However, it is quite possible that you may really want a longer telephoto than that.  If so there are no native emount lenses today for that length.  Given that fact, your choices are: for fast autofocus, the LA-EA2 adapter and a Sony/Minolta compatible AF lens.  There are many. If you research carefully there are even reports of working IS with some of the Sigmas.   Or, you could go with a Metabones EOS to emount adapter and use Canon AF lenses, but the focus will be slow.  Unless you owned a bunch of Canon glass, that route probably isn't worth it.  Next choice is manual focus adapters which are dirt cheap.  You can get good manual focus telephoto lenses for moderate prices.  Get one with a tripod mount.  You are going to be needing a tripod for any lens of over about 300mm, in my experience, to permit manual focus.

OR, you could decide that big glass and tripods is a different hobby altogether, enjoy your Nex for its wonderful image quality for nearby subjects in difficult light, using another camera for shooting wildlife.  That is what I've done.  I use a 810mm superzoom (The HX-100V) for wildlife photography in bright light.  It fits in a small case and can be handheld easily at 810mm, right down to about 125th.  The IS is amazing.  I'd like to upgrade to a 1200mm superzoom but haven't decided what one to get yet.  A superzoom will cost you less than a decent 400mm MF lens and is much easier to use, more fun in my book.  (It is terrible in low light indoor use, IMHO, so I use the Nex for that.)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ace of Sevens
Like?
In reply to wb2trf, 11 months ago

After looking around a bit, I think I'm best off getting the 55-210 mm lens. I just can't justify the expense for the an adapter and a longer lens. I do a lot of nocturnal wildlife photography and while my Canon point-and-shoot was great for bird sitting on buildings and such in the day, I can't get good pictures at anywhere near full extension. I had to get way closer to this skunk than I was comfortable with to get this picture:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=669564640649&set=a.606439638659.2136945.71804321
If the NEX-5r proves too unwieldly with a telephoto, I may get a Canon SX 280 HS, which is the current-year version of my current camera. Thanks for the advice.

Kodak EasyShare Sport NEX5R Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
wb2trf
Like?

That makes sense, but be aware that it is pretty small aperture at 210 (315equiv) so you are still going to have light issues.  The superzoom however won't cut it at all at night. It'll be worse than your Canon.  Nighttime long telephoto is a very difficult corner of the photography world.

Ray Maines
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,305Gear list
Like?

Ace of Sevens wrote:

I'm used to a point-and-shoot with a 35 mm equivalent focal length of 28-392 mm. I use the max length pretty frequently, mostly for wildlife photography. I've often wished for a bit longer. Are there e mount lenses in this range, or would I have to get one for a different camera, plus an adapter?

You want more reach?

How about 400mm fixed length mirror/reflex lens:

http://www.amazon.com/Kenko-400mm-Mirror-T-Mount-E-Mount/dp/B008A2CEPO

400mm not long enough? How about 500 + 2x extender:

http://www.amazon.com/Rokinon-Teleconverter-Cleaning-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0050JZZZ6

-- hide signature --

Buy books, not gear.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +11 more
Ace of Sevens
Like?
In reply to Ray Maines, 11 months ago

The issue I've had with long prime lenses is that they are really difficult to aim. Centering on my subject, then zooming is what I usually do.

Cullings
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?

Ace of Sevens wrote:

Checkout this dpreview thread about using the SEL55210 with the Olympus TCON-17X tele-extender.  (photo included)

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3563817

Here is my followup comment after trying this combo:

"Your comments are "right on". I just received my TCON-17X. I used a Tiffen 4955SUR step up adapter. The vignetting disappears at about 86mm (Sony EXIF info). Therefore, with the TCON-17X I have a usable zoom range of 146 to 357 mm. (219 to 535 mm applying the 1.5 crop factor).

The 1.7x teleconverter works great. Thanks to codex22 for the initial info and great photos. - John S."

Cullings's gear list:Cullings's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +3 more
FuzzyQball
Senior MemberPosts: 1,328Gear list
Like?

My last camera was a super zoom, and I have to say I miss the range available there.  However I do not miss the noisy soft photos I got!  I think I was at 10mp on that one, so with the 16 and a 210 lens, you can crop a bit and end up with similar pics.  Some have added a multiplier in front to increase the range.  The sony appears to be pretty good from pics I have seen here, but be aware of cheap ones!

-- hide signature --

Glenn

FuzzyQball's gear list:FuzzyQball's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Riquez
Contributing MemberPosts: 709Gear list
Like?

wb2trf wrote:

If you use the Sony SEL 55-210mm lens, that is the equivalent of 315mm vs your 392. From that you will find that you can crop to a 392 equivalent and probably get a better image than you could from your P&S at 392.

The 55-210 is 315 FF equiv, but the OP's P&S has an even smaller sensor so 392 is likely over 1000 FF equiv.

Riquez's gear list:Riquez's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?

Ace of Sevens wrote:

After looking around a bit, I think I'm best off getting the 55-210 mm lens. I just can't justify the expense for the an adapter and a longer lens. I do a lot of nocturnal wildlife photography and while my Canon point-and-shoot was great for bird sitting on buildings and such in the day, I can't get good pictures at anywhere near full extension. I had to get way closer to this skunk than I was comfortable with to get this picture:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=669564640649&set=a.606439638659.2136945.71804321
If the NEX-5r proves too unwieldly with a telephoto, I may get a Canon SX 280 HS, which is the current-year version of my current camera. Thanks for the advice.

This is Sony E 55-210 OSS at max zoom + 1.7x TC lens (Sony DH1758), hence a FF equiv of about 540mm, plus substantial crop, taken at a parking lot of a park (so very little light, coming from a few street lamps):

Sony Alpha NEX-3 + Sony E 55-210 OSS + Sony DH1758 (1.7x TC lens)

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Riquez
Contributing MemberPosts: 709Gear list
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 11 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

This is Sony E 55-210 OSS at max zoom + 1.7x TC lens (Sony DH1758),

Is that TC any good? I ask because I have a 2x TC for Canon 100-300 & I find it not worth using because the image quality degrades so much I am better off without it & simply cropping more.

Since its the only TC i own & its an old one, I am not sure if thats the usual experience with TC or not.

Riquez's gear list:Riquez's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
Ace of Sevens
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 11 months ago

Impressive! I think the 55-210 will work fine.

Ace of Sevens
Like?
In reply to Riquez, 11 months ago

The actual range is 5-70 mm. The 392 is an equivalent.

wb2trf
Like?
392 is after conversion

His P&S 392 is after conversion to 35mm FF equivalent.

wb2trf
Like?
In reply to FuzzyQball, 11 months ago

FuzzyQball wrote:

My last camera was a super zoom, and I have to say I miss the range available there. However I do not miss the noisy soft photos I got! I think I was at 10mp on that one, so with the 16 and a 210 lens, you can crop a bit and end up with similar pics.

I find that in bright light the superzoom photos are very good. For example, although I use the superzoom mainly for waterbirds at long telephoto distances, I shot some wide angle shots recently in mid day light and happened to be interchanging shots between my HX-100V and my Nex 5R with Sigma 19, which is a very sharp lens. Looking at them on screen I couldn't tell which came from which source. Maybe I could pixel peep my way into a determination, but that's not my thing. I had to check the exifs.

As for shooting at the long telephoto end that I usually use the HX-100V for, it is very hard to match the incredible power and convenience that these superzooms offer. I can't match the overall experience with the Nex. In a small case the size of the Nex with the 50mm 1.8, I can shoot 800mm handheld, at 1/125 if I want. Sure if you want to carry 10x the price and 8x the weight in gear you can beat the IQ, but the overall shooting experience with big glass is completely different and, in my view, unpleasant. Furthermore when moving through landscapes populated with interesting birds I know that I get shots that the guys lugging the big gear miss altogether because the just can't move as fast with the big stuff.

In general I think that the optimum size of a sensor for bright light photography, if a whole system was matched for it, would be about the size of the Nikon 1 or RX100. If there was a Nikon 1 with a native telephoto lens with IS that was about 800mm or more equivalent, I'd buy it in a hearbeat. When you go to larger sensors than that, I think you lose too many photos due to reduced portability. I love the Nex for my indoor low light informal portraits and am even considering going to FF for that, but in bright light I prefer a lighter lens and smaller sensor to get the telephoto reach combined with portability I want.

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

This is Sony E 55-210 OSS at max zoom + 1.7x TC lens (Sony DH1758),

Is that TC any good? I ask because I have a 2x TC for Canon 100-300 & I find it not worth using because the image quality degrades so much I am better off without it & simply cropping more.

Since its the only TC i own & its an old one, I am not sure if thats the usual experience with TC or not.

Sony DH1758 is pretty good but finding one may be a challenge. It is not a telecoverter that fits on the mount rather a lens that screws in front of the lens. An added advantage is that unlike TC (converters) you shoot at the same aperture and the light loss is negligible.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Ace of Sevens
Like?
In reply to Cullings, 11 months ago

That looks useful. What do I need to attach it to the lens?

gladvlad
Regular MemberPosts: 300Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ray Maines, 11 months ago

Ray Maines wrote:

You want more reach?

http://www.amazon.com/Rokinon-Teleconverter-Cleaning-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0050JZZZ6

-- hide signature --

Buy books, not gear.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Have you tried either of these?

gladvlad's gear list:gladvlad's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +10 more
Ray Maines
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,305Gear list
Like?
In reply to gladvlad, 11 months ago

gladvlad wrote:

Ray Maines wrote:

You want more reach?

Have you tried either of these?

No, and I doubt I ever will.

-- hide signature --

Buy books, not gear.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +11 more
FuzzyQball
Senior MemberPosts: 1,328Gear list
Like?

I would defiantly consider going back in they had a larger sensor.  Thing is the larger sensor means larger lens.  Now if they could increase the sensitivity and conquer the noise on the small sensors, I would be there!  Tech continually improves so you never know!

-- hide signature --

Glenn

FuzzyQball's gear list:FuzzyQball's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads