Vari-Angle v Tilt LCD

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
OceanFroggie
Regular MemberPosts: 389Gear list
Like?
Vari-Angle v Tilt LCD
9 months ago

Some of Nikons CB cameras have Tilting LCD screen, whereas the D5x00 DSLR has a Vari-Angle rear LCD screen which wastes valuable space on LHS of camera back due to vertical hinge. If nikon switched to Tilting LCD using hidden articulated hinge they would have space for 4 or 5 more buttons on the back LHS of the D5300 (ie to left of LCD). If they added a tilt screen to the next D7xxx series body they would not have to remove any buttons (ie instead of the daft Vari angle LCD which is cumbersome and space inefficient).

OceanFroggie's gear list:OceanFroggie's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +1 more
Nikon D5300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Iain G Foulds
Senior MemberPosts: 1,215
Like?
Re: Vari-Angle v Tilt LCD
In reply to OceanFroggie, 9 months ago

... Ocean: With you on that. Once I owned a Fuji megazoom with a pull-out LCD... perfectly natural for getting the camera low. Then, I had something with a screen that flipped out to side... always awkward and unbalanced.

... Not even sure that I would want either now, but comfortably being able to lower the camera a few feet can completely open up compositional possibilties.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Xenmint
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
In reply to Iain G Foulds, 9 months ago

I was out night-shooting this evening, on a tripod at sometimes weird angles.  Live-view + the flexibility of the LCD  on my 5100 was an enormous benefit. Now if only I'd had a touchscreen....   (There were times when it was impossible to see the back of the camera, and when it's at a strange angle muscle-memory can forget where the buttons are...)

I had a bridge camera with a tilt screen, which was brilliant for handheld macro ground shots, where an articulating LCD is not as helpful.

Different people have different needs, because it doesn't suit you, it doesn't make it daft

Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,363Gear list
Like?

I've owned/used cameras that had both types of tilt screens and I much prefer the variable angle screen on the d5100.

I understand that losing buttons isn't always the best, but I tend to believe that the variable LCD could be implemented without losing buttons, if they wanted to do so.

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 +11 more
Shunda77
Senior MemberPosts: 1,659Gear list
Like?

OceanFroggie wrote:

Some of Nikons CB cameras have Tilting LCD screen, whereas the D5x00 DSLR has a Vari-Angle rear LCD screen which wastes valuable space on LHS of camera back due to vertical hinge. If nikon switched to Tilting LCD using hidden articulated hinge they would have space for 4 or 5 more buttons on the back LHS of the D5300 (ie to left of LCD). If they added a tilt screen to the next D7xxx series body they would not have to remove any buttons (ie instead of the daft Vari angle LCD which is cumbersome and space inefficient).

While I regularly use the vari-angle screen on my D5100, I would much prefer a tilt screen, both for tripod work and low level shooting for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

I had a Fuji superzoom with one and is was fantastic and had all the buttons down the side as you mentioned (actually more bittons than the D7xxx series).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads