Explain this! (Adapted lenses)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
tjdean01
Senior MemberPosts: 2,063Gear list
Like?
Explain this! (Adapted lenses)
8 months ago

I was told by members of this forum that we can't adapt older 50mm 1.8 lenses to a D5100 because the space for the mirror leaves no room for adapters like on a mirrorless. I told my friend & she was sad. Today, however, she sends me a pic of her D5100 with an old Minolta 50mm on it! And I asked her how she likes the appx 80mm focal length but she replied that it's more like 35mm. She said there is an adapter in there too and paid like $50 for lens & adapter. SHE doesn't know what she did, but I'm guessing she bought some sort of modified lens? I'm confused!

(Pics to come...I'm on the cell phone)

sapple
Regular MemberPosts: 411Gear list
Like?
Re: Explain this! (Adapted lenses)
In reply to tjdean01, 8 months ago

I am not sure who told you that you can't use old glass on the 5100 but they were just wrong. I use both pre-Ai and ais lenses in my d5200 on a regular basis. The rules about focal length still apply though since that has to do with the image sensor. Lenses that can meter old glass like the 7100 need Ai or ais lenses, but non metering cameras can use anything except for invasive fisheye lenses.
--
<a href="http://www.applenegative.com" target="_blank" title="www.applenegative.com" data-mce-href="http://www.applenegative.com">www.applenegative.com</a>

sapple's gear list:sapple's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ZorSy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,048Gear list
Like?

Hope your picture will explain it - in meantime, just as a wild guess it may be one of those WA adapters you screw on the front of the  lens (Raynox or whatever the brand name) which would explain how FF 50mm becomes 35mm on DX. ... we'll see. Nikon F mount is (unfortunately) one of the mounts that is hard to adapt other SLR lenses to.

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D7100
MRM4350
Senior MemberPosts: 1,497Gear list
Like?

I'm sorry that the first two responders did not read your Original Post.

I'm not interested in using other lens mount lenses on my Nikons, but I think the problem is the lens 'registration distance' that Nikon uses is longer than other brands so adapters have to have glass elements included to get the focus correct. This extra glass elements gets in the way of focus at infinity, and my cause the lens to give a different field of view.

-- hide signature --
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,360Gear list
Like?
I'll try. :)
In reply to MRM4350, 8 months ago

What lens? An F mount is an F mount - but, depending on age, some functions may not work. As the D5100 has no lens motor, you need a motorized lens in order to focus automatically. This should help enormously: http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d5100/compatibility02.htm

If you are talking other company lenses, it becomes a real crap shot, adapter or not. Minolta to Nikon? WHY!!!! Even if possible.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
eddyshoots
Senior MemberPosts: 2,174
Like?
Couple of explanations

tjdean01 wrote:

I was told by members of this forum that we can't adapt older 50mm 1.8 lenses to a D5100 because the space for the mirror leaves no room for adapters like on a mirrorless. I told my friend & she was sad. Today, however, she sends me a pic of her D5100 with an old Minolta 50mm on it! And I asked her how she likes the appx 80mm focal length but she replied that it's more like 35mm. She said there is an adapter in there too and paid like $50 for lens & adapter. SHE doesn't know what she did, but I'm guessing she bought some sort of modified lens? I'm confused!

Using adapters on Nikon cameras is difficult because Nikon has one of the longest register distances out of the major manufacturers (this is the distance from the mount to the film or sensor). You can use an adapter and mount an old Canon or Pentax or Minolta on your Nikon camera, there's nothing to stop you. Unfortunately, you lose the ability to focus on far away objects. Depending on the difference between the two lens registry distance you might lose the ability to focus on an object just 20 or 30 feet away.

Some adapters will use a corrective lens built in. With the corrective lens you regain the ability to focus to infinity. But you might lose a fair bit of sharpness as the extra piece of glass isn't necessarily designed for the lens.

Some adapters are built for medium format lenses. Medium format cameras have an even bigger registry distance than Nikon so there is no problem using an adapter. Not sure if Minolta produced any medium format lenses. On a D7xxx or D300 you would even be able to meter with the adapted lens.

So there you go, three explanations that might just fit. No infinity focus, corrective lens or medium format lens.
--
eddyshoots

tjdean01
Like?
Re: I'll try. :)
In reply to Steve Bingham, 8 months ago

Steve Bingham wrote:

What lens? An F mount is an F mount - but, depending on age, some functions may not work. As the D5100 has no lens motor, you need a motorized lens in order to focus automatically. This should help enormously: http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d5100/compatibility02.htm

If you are talking other company lenses, it becomes a real crap shot, adapter or not. Minolta to Nikon? WHY!!!! Even if possible.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Because she wants to try a fast prime and can't afford $500 for a native Nikon lens.

She got the Minolta lens for $35.  I'll post more details and photo below in response to OP...

tjdean01
Like?
Photo of Said Creation...

Here's the thread that left me thinking it wouldn't work

The adapter is only about a half inch long with no glass. Lens is Minolta MD. User mainly shoots full manual on film so the fact that this combo doesn't focus or meter is not a problem for her.

As eddyshoots suggested above, I'm thinking something has to give, and I'm thinking that thing might just be infinity focus.

But still, what's weird is that this 50mm lens is WIDER than expected, similar to 35mm.  Now is she talking 35 in FF terms, or APS terms?  On full frame terms, I see absolutely no way it is possible except if that lens she got a hold of has been modified.  If the lens is perfectly adapted her FOV would be equivalent to the 50 written on her zoom lens, or 75mm in full frame terms.

So, I'm really confused here.  All I can think of is that the lens has some sort of speed booster/FL reducer modified inside of it.  I'll see it in a few days to solve this mystery!

jkjond
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,649
Like?
Re: Photo of Said Creation...

tjdean01 wrote:

Here's the thread that left me thinking it wouldn't work

The adapter is only about a half inch long with no glass. Lens is Minolta MD. User mainly shoots full manual on film so the fact that this combo doesn't focus or meter is not a problem for her.

As eddyshoots suggested above, I'm thinking something has to give, and I'm thinking that thing might just be infinity focus.

But still, what's weird is that this 50mm lens is WIDER than expected, similar to 35mm. Now is she talking 35 in FF terms, or APS terms? On full frame terms, I see absolutely no way it is possible except if that lens she got a hold of has been modified. If the lens is perfectly adapted her FOV would be equivalent to the 50 written on her zoom lens, or 75mm in full frame terms.

So, I'm really confused here. All I can think of is that the lens has some sort of speed booster/FL reducer modified inside of it. I'll see it in a few days to solve this mystery!

It's good to see someone simply trying something rather than accepting it can't be done! I'd be a bit wary of breaking something in my camera, but if there's an adapter between the body and lens I'd expect the risk to be zilch. Hard to see what's happening in this shot.

FL - I'd take a shot, then match it with a kit zoom on the same camera then read that value to see what the effective FL is. Note that there will be a change in effective aperture if the lens to sensor distance isn't equal to the design spec of the lens, though I doubt the change will be anything significant in this case. A fast prime will still be a fast prime, just not quite as fast the number on the lens indicates.

-- hide signature --

Wedding and fine art photographer based in the Lake District, UK

MRM4350
Senior MemberPosts: 1,497Gear list
Like?
Re: I'll try. :)
In reply to Steve Bingham, 8 months ago

Apparently you didn't read the OP either. The OP is not talking about a "F" mount lens.

I have used Nikon since 1976, and I know all about the "F" mount.

-- hide signature --
ZorSy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,048Gear list
Like?
Re: Couple of explanations
In reply to eddyshoots, 8 months ago

eddyshoots wrote:

tjdean01 wrote:

Using adapters on Nikon cameras is difficult because Nikon has one of the longest register distances out of the major manufacturers (this is the distance from the mount to the film or sensor). You can use an adapter and mount an old Canon or Pentax or Minolta on your Nikon camera, there's nothing to stop you. Unfortunately, you lose the ability to focus on far away objects. Depending on the difference between the two lens registry distance you might lose the ability to focus on an object just 20 or 30 feet away.

Some adapters will use a corrective lens built in. With the corrective lens you regain the ability to focus to infinity. But you might lose a fair bit of sharpness as the extra piece of glass isn't necessarily designed for the lens.

Some adapters are built for medium format lenses. Medium format cameras have an even bigger registry distance than Nikon so there is no problem using an adapter. Not sure if Minolta produced any medium format lenses. On a D7xxx or D300 you would even be able to meter with the adapted lens.

So there you go, three explanations that might just fit. No infinity focus, corrective lens or medium format lens.
--
eddyshoots

Back in days I used to have both Nikon and Konica TC and was using Tamron 80-210 adaptal (MF times, the mount of the lens was removable to suit any system at time). I remember I forgot to switch mount and Konica would go right in the Nikon mount, rotated by some 40 degrees or so. Nikon mount would not go in Konica as it required thinner "lips" on the mount. Needless to say, aperture lever was not at the same spot (think Konica was at the bottom while Nikon on the side).

I agree it seems to be adapter with some  correction lens added, which would explain how it became wide instead opposite..

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D7100
FujicaST605
Regular MemberPosts: 361Gear list
Like?

You've probably lost infinity focus.

For less total money, have your friend buy an 50mm F1.8 Series E AI-s lens. about $40 used and you get infinity focus.

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Manual-Focus-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-NK060000350000?r=FE

FujicaST605's gear list:FujicaST605's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +1 more
John Stark
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?
In reply to FujicaST605, 8 months ago

Back in the 1970's I had a Pentax KX SLR with a standard F1.4 50mm lens, 50 mm F4 macro, and a 200mm F4 telephoto lens, so when I purchased my first DSLR a few months ago I also got a Fotodiox Pentax K - Nikon F lens adapter.  This has a lens in it that will affect image quality - very badly according to some posts above - but retains the infinity focus.  I have taken a number of photos using the Nikon D3200 with the 50 macro and the 200mm lenses attached.

Of course, these Pentax lenses only work in manual mode on the D3200, but (I think) they are quality lenses - very smooth and solid.  Focus is easy in live view - pressing the + button to enlarge the image on the screen.  I have had no real difficulties getting the exposure correct either.  On the computer screen the images look pretty good to me.  The Pentax 200mm lens has a longer reach than the standard 55-200mm Nikon kit lens on max (200mm) zoom.  An object is about 24% wider with the former.

I'm quite pleased with the magnification achieved with the Pentax 50mm macro lens too.  I have not taken any serious photos with it yet - just the newspaper (while watching TV).  At closest focus the full frame corresponds to 22 x 33 mm of the subject.  That's much better than I can achieve with the 18-55 Nikon kit lens.

So far, I am quite pleased with the results I am getting from these old lenses - well worth the $40 or so that the Fotodiox adapter cost.  I am looking forward to taking some photos of decent subjects - especially with the macro lens.  I accept that the results may not be as good as what could be achieved with some decent Nikon prime lenses (but I'm not about to spend that kind of money - at this stage anyway).  Much better, I think, to use the lenses I already have (which otherwise are just in a cupboard).  I nearly sold them a few years ago - but wasn't happy with the miserable amount I was offered.  Pleased now that I kept them.  Besides, having to use manual settings (rather than have the camera figure everything out) is  a good learning experience.

-- hide signature --

John Stark, Nelson, NZ
Fujifilm MX700, S602z, Z33WP, XP150, S9500
Nikon D3200 twin lens kit, SB-400

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads