D5200 Live Preview - SLOW

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
mattd313
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
D5200 Live Preview - SLOW
6 months ago

I just picked up a D5200 yesterday and noticed when in Live Preview- it takes around 4 - 4.5 seconds before the image playback comes up, which means a tad longer even before it's ready for the next shot. This is when shooting RAW. When shooting JPG it is less time, about 2-3 seconds.

To compare, my D3100 in Live Preview mode, shooting raw, same SD card- was about 2x faster. The image playback was within about 1-2 seconds in RAW.

I have noise reduction turned off when testing these, fwiw.

Is this to be expected, or is there maybe something wrong with my D5200?

Any tips, suggestions, feedback etc appreciated!

Nikon D3100 Nikon D5200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jim Marshall4057
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Re: D5200 Live Preview - SLOW
In reply to mattd313, 6 months ago

Sorry. I don't have an answer, but I was going to post the very same query. My son bought a 5200 at Christmas and he is bitterly disappointed with the shot to shot time with live view, compared with my humble m43, for pics of the young kids indoors. Is this typical for all Nikon models, and would a super fast memory card make any difference?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mattd313
Like?
In reply to Jim Marshall4057, 6 months ago

A faster SD card shouldn't make any difference. I have a very fast card and it works great in burst mode... But taking a single shot and waiting to review it is way slower on my D5200 than the D3100. I'm planning to post a video later comparing the two.

I'm about to head out to Best Buy and try this on a couple different cameras. Primarily the D5200 and D7100. I'll probably try it on every display model, though, just for kicks and to see how the different models perform.

If the D5200 is as slow in the store model as mine is- perhaps this camera is just slow at that process. Won't bother me much because I rarely use live preview for taking stills.

I'll post back up later tonight after I get my hands on a couple other cameras to test it.

arrr
Regular MemberPosts: 434Gear list
Like?
Live View BUG!

mattd313 wrote:

I just picked up a D5200 yesterday and noticed when in Live Preview- it takes around 4 - 4.5 seconds before the image playback comes up, which means a tad longer even before it's ready for the next shot. This is when shooting RAW. When shooting JPG it is less time, about 2-3 seconds.

To compare, my D3100 in Live Preview mode, shooting raw, same SD card- was about 2x faster. The image playback was within about 1-2 seconds in RAW.

I have noise reduction turned off when testing these, fwiw.

Is this to be expected, or is there maybe something wrong with my D5200?

Any tips, suggestions, feedback etc appreciated!

What about active D-Lighting and Auto Distortion Control? I have these set to OFF on my D3200 and I get about 1 frame every 1.5 seconds... Shooting in live view is something like this- Half shutter press to lock focus, full press to take photo, screen blacks out, image reviewed on screen, screen blacks out and finally back to live view.

Also I just noticed a bug with D3200 live view and stills. I have image review set to off in the playback menu. In live view the image is still being displayed after the photo is written. My D7000 does not display the image with image review setting at off.

These little bugs are getting annoying...

arrr's gear list:arrr's gear list
Nikon D3200 Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +8 more
arrr
Like?

Jim Marshall4057 wrote:

Sorry. I don't have an answer, but I was going to post the very same query. My son bought a 5200 at Christmas and he is bitterly disappointed with the shot to shot time with live view, compared with my humble m43, for pics of the young kids indoors. Is this typical for all Nikon models, and would a super fast memory card make any difference?

I'm noticing that as well. I have an ancient Panasonic GF1 and it shoots like a dream compared to Nikon's implementation of LV. It's a shame because I find Nikon's LV contrast detect AF to be superior to the phase detection AF when using the optical viewfinder *for still subjects*. I wish the whole Nikon LV system was faster and more responsive.

Nikon D3200 Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +8 more
mattd313
Like?

Back from Best Buy. I have two things to say.

1. Nothing is wrong with my camera. I tried two D5200's on display in the store and both took just as long to take pictures in live view.

2. SD cards do make a big difference. All this time I was using an older card that (I thought) was rated pretty well in terms of speed. Well, about a week ago I ordered 2 Sandisk Extremes... so I decided tonight to try with one of those. It wasn't quite night and day difference, but it was different enough to be able to tell without close observation. The Sandisk Extreme card let the camera spit that image back to me and back to shooting in about half the time as the other card.

Conclusion:

Don't buy the D5200 for shooting stills in live view. I'd echo that for most DSLRs, at least all the ones I've tried. But if you do want to shoot in live view- get the fastest card you can find, because it does make a difference.

Hope anyone reading this learns the importance of a good card. This was a learning experience for me. I can't get away with the cheap cards anymore.

Escape
Regular MemberPosts: 338Gear list
Like?

mattd313 wrote:

But if you do want to shoot in live view- get the fastest card you can find, because it does make a difference.

If you're shooting RAW, you'd want a fast card regardless if you use live view or viewfinder anyway.

BTW, it takes about 3 seconds from the time I press shutter release to the time the image appears on the screen in live view on my D5200 with a fast card. So yeah, it's pretty slow.

Also, don't bother paying extra for cards faster than about 45 MB/s.  The D5200 can't write any faster than that.  The only time you'd benefit would be when copying the images to your PC using a USB 3.0 card reader.

Escape's gear list:Escape's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | C
jimoyer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,616Gear list
Like?

Jim Marshall4057 wrote:

Jim, a DSLR...any DSLR....is going to be slower in live view than a m4/3 or any mirrorless camera.  If your son wants to shoot via live view, he's going to be better served with some type of mirrorless.

jimoyer's gear list:jimoyer's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D200 Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +12 more
mattd313
Like?
In reply to Escape, 6 months ago

Escape wrote:

mattd313 wrote:

But if you do want to shoot in live view- get the fastest card you can find, because it does make a difference.

If you're shooting RAW, you'd want a fast card regardless if you use live view or viewfinder anyway.

BTW, it takes about 3 seconds from the time I press shutter release to the time the image appears on the screen in live view on my D5200 with a fast card. So yeah, it's pretty slow.

Also, don't bother paying extra for cards faster than about 45 MB/s. The D5200 can't write any faster than that. The only time you'd benefit would be when copying the images to your PC using a USB 3.0 card reader.

Well on my D3100 I got away with the card I was using without any issues.

And yea, good point. I saw reviews on the 95 mb/s card by Sandisk and it performed no better on the D5200. So I suppose I should have said the fasted card your camera can handle!

arrr
Like?
Re: Live View BUG!
In reply to arrr, 6 months ago

arrr wrote:

What about active D-Lighting and Auto Distortion Control? I have these set to OFF on my D3200 and I get about 1 frame every 1.5 seconds... Shooting in live view is something like this- Half shutter press to lock focus, full press to take photo, screen blacks out, image reviewed on screen, screen blacks out and finally back to live view.

Edit- I'm actually getting 1 frame every ~2.5 seconds. I timed the D3200 using video on my iPhone much more accurate than me guessing.

arrr
Like?

mattd313 wrote:

Back from Best Buy. I have two things to say.

1. Nothing is wrong with my camera. I tried two D5200's on display in the store and both took just as long to take pictures in live view.

2. SD cards do make a big difference. All this time I was using an older card that (I thought) was rated pretty well in terms of speed. Well, about a week ago I ordered 2 Sandisk Extremes... so I decided tonight to try with one of those. It wasn't quite night and day difference, but it was different enough to be able to tell without close observation. The Sandisk Extreme card let the camera spit that image back to me and back to shooting in about half the time as the other card.

Conclusion:

Don't buy the D5200 for shooting stills in live view. I'd echo that for most DSLRs, at least all the ones I've tried. But if you do want to shoot in live view- get the fastest card you can find, because it does make a difference.

Hope anyone reading this learns the importance of a good card. This was a learning experience for me. I can't get away with the cheap cards anymore.

Glad there is nothing wrong with your camera.

+1 about the cards. I've got a pile of old slow cards left over from my days with the D80 and D90.

Bailey151
Contributing MemberPosts: 962
Like?
In reply to jimoyer, 6 months ago

jimoyer wrote:

Jim, a DSLR...any DSLR....is going to be slower in live view than a m4/3 or any mirrorless camera. If your son wants to shoot via live view, he's going to be better served with some type of mirrorless.

Exactly - you'd pretty much have to be living under a rock to miss this, especially for Nikon. Nikon LV = slow as molasses, even the most current implementation is still slow.

Nikon DSLR = use the view finder, kind of a given. Not even certain why anyone would use LV unless they're doing movies?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads