My big Dilemma, keep Sigma 35 after buying Nikon 18-35g?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Ruud Wilschut
Regular MemberPosts: 321
Like?
Re: My big Dilemma, keep Sigma 35 after buying Nikon 18-35g?
In reply to Sloepoke, 6 months ago

Sloepoke wrote:

Well, I did a few more tests. Everything is manually focused in live view at 100% mag.

On a flat field the Sigma wins hands down. I did a farther test basically 20 feet that wasn't flat, like most of our subjects, and the difference was fairly negligible. You'd have a hard time picking one over the other, one's sharp in places the other isn't. The curved vs. flat focal plane being the culprit. At f8-and smaller, they are so close.

With the Sigma I almost feel Like I'm not using half the lens, never shooting above 5.6. Most of my subjects are interiors, and closer, wide-anglish still-lives. Having this 18-35 is a no brainer, but I'll be doing more tests on more distanced subjects, and real world usage at 35mm. Keeping the Sigma of course would be ideal, I guess time will tell if I take off the zoom though.

thanks for all the input.

I would never trade a bright and very sharp Pro f1.4 lens for a relative dark midrange zoom, especially for use with a D800!

You say that you never use the Sigma 35mm f1.4 ART at the maximum aperture, but you don't do this with the AF-S 18-35mm f3.5-4.5 either I think. Normally you allways stop down to gain best IQ, but when you do this with the Nikkor, it will be much slower..

Remember that you always focus at maximum aperture.

Ok, the Nikkor is a zoom and thus is more versatile, but trade it in for the super Sigma? I wouldn't. At the other hand, the Nikkor isn't that expensive.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mikael Risedal
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,016
Like?
In reply to Sloepoke, 6 months ago

Sloepoke wrote:

Scott McMorrow wrote:

You didn't say what camera you are shooting with. If it's a DX, then there will not be much difference between the two lenses at f/8. If it's FX, then the Nikon has more field distortion and softer extreme edges and corners. The center will be equally sharp on both lenses.

If you can live with that, make the switch.

I had just realized I hadn't included which camera but updated it, It's the d800. I just tried the 4.5 and 5.6 range, sigma better at 4.5, but both equal at 5.6 in the center but nikon better at the edges.

both equal at 5,6 and Nikon better at the edges?

Then you are doing something wrong, or you have a very bad copy of the sigma lens

http://www.lenstip.com/391.4-Lens_review-Nikon_Nikkor_AF-S_18-35_mm_f_3.5-4.5G_ED_Image_resolution.html

http://www.lenstip.com/359.4-Lens_review-Sigma_A_35_mm_f_1.4_DG_HSM_Image_resolution.html

-- hide signature --

Member of Swedish Photographers Association since 1984
Canon, Hasselblad, Leica,Nikon, Linhoff, Sinar
Member of International anti-banding and read out noise Association

Sloepoke
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
In reply to Mikael Risedal, 6 months ago

When I did a more flat field test the Sigma blew the nikon out of the water, no comparison. I think at 5.6 I was looking at parts of the image in the near corners which would be considered out of focus, more in focus than the sigma, if that makes any sense, probably because of the curvilinear aspect of the nikons focal plane which has a favoring of near edge focus.

The sigma is by far greater at 5.6 but by f8, diffraction becomes a huge equalizer. I'll probably keep the sigma but time will tell how much I use it, and take off the zoom.

Thanks!

Mikael Risedal wrote:

Sloepoke wrote:

Scott McMorrow wrote:

You didn't say what camera you are shooting with. If it's a DX, then there will not be much difference between the two lenses at f/8. If it's FX, then the Nikon has more field distortion and softer extreme edges and corners. The center will be equally sharp on both lenses.

If you can live with that, make the switch.

I had just realized I hadn't included which camera but updated it, It's the d800. I just tried the 4.5 and 5.6 range, sigma better at 4.5, but both equal at 5.6 in the center but nikon better at the edges.

both equal at 5,6 and Nikon better at the edges?

Then you are doing something wrong, or you have a very bad copy of the sigma lens

http://www.lenstip.com/391.4-Lens_review-Nikon_Nikkor_AF-S_18-35_mm_f_3.5-4.5G_ED_Image_resolution.html

http://www.lenstip.com/359.4-Lens_review-Sigma_A_35_mm_f_1.4_DG_HSM_Image_resolution.html

-- hide signature --

Member of Swedish Photographers Association since 1984
Canon, Hasselblad, Leica,Nikon, Linhoff, Sinar
Member of International anti-banding and read out noise Association

Tord S Eriksson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,950Gear list
Like?
In reply to wisep01, 4 months ago

wisep01 wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

The Sigma 35 is my favourite lens, and I seem to have distanced myself away from zooms on my FX cameras. But as others have mentioned, the 35 is superb at wider than 5.6 ;-)!

-- hide signature --

tord (at) mindless (dot) com
Mostly Nikon V1, & D600, user

He would have to stack at least three 2x TCs on it before it can be used for birding.

That way you destroy the sharpness, too! Somewhere on the web there are excellent shots of puffins taken with this very lens, taken by lying down just a meter or two from the entrance of the nest, and be patient! So it can be used for birding, and if you mount it on a Nikon 1 system it is just as sharp, And have an apparent focal length of 90, or so!

-- hide signature --

tord (at) mindless (dot) com
Mostly Nikon V1, & D600, user

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Pentax K-x Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +22 more
ageha
Contributing MemberPosts: 651Gear list
Like?
Sell it
In reply to Sloepoke, 4 months ago

I would sell the Sigma.

ageha's gear list:ageha's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 +17 more
Liviu Namolovan
Regular MemberPosts: 411
Like?
In reply to anotherMike, 4 months ago

So, you sold your 14-24. If I remember correctly, that amazing Nikon 14-24mm survived to the comparisson to the versatile and very good 16-35mm and as a result the 16-35mm was the lens you have get rid of. Now I'm scratching my head as of to why someone would sell his much praised 14-24 only to get a 18-35mm G? I know that somehow I am missing something...

Nexu1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,572
Like?
In reply to Sloepoke, 4 months ago

Do you own tests, with what you like to shoot, and buy based on your own needs and preferences.  As you should know, there are always trade offs or compromises.  If you don't feel the increase in sharpness of the Sigma prime is worth the trade off for the flexibility & convenience of the zoom then sell the prime.  I always think it's a good idea to do your own tests and not rely on others.  Yeah, there are some gurus here that can give you advice on lens testing but at the end of the day you have to figure out what is most important for yourself.  It's just like some noob that buys a D800E and 24-70 then never takes it anywhere because it's too heavy and they'd rather have a D3200 with 35mm DX prime.  To each their own and don't worry lens reputations.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads