Wide angle lens?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Colin Franks
Contributing MemberPosts: 719Gear list
Like?
Wide angle lens?
8 months ago

Coming from m4/3, I recently bought a 6D, and have a 50mm; 70-200, and the Tamron 150-600 is on order.  I'm not familiar with the offerings for wide angle lenses, so I'm seeking advice on what one lens would be a good choice for the 6D.  I don't even know if I should get a prime or something with a little zoom. (General shooting/landscapes).  Any advice?

Colin Franks's gear list:Colin Franks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +15 more
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
BaggysGreenArmy
Regular MemberPosts: 123Gear list
Like?
Re: Wide angle lens?
In reply to Colin Franks, 8 months ago

I too have the 6D and you wont get any wide angle lens than the Canon 17-40L for the price. Absolutely love it

-- hide signature --

Regards
Bruce
http://www.fullframephotos.co.uk
http://www.flickr.com/photos/benny450d
Canon 1DS Mk2
Canon 6D
Canon 17-40L f4
Canon 50mm f2.5 macro lens
Tamron 28-300mm f3.5-6.3
Sigma 24-70 f2.8
Canon 70-200L f4

BaggysGreenArmy's gear list:BaggysGreenArmy's gear list
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,958Gear list
Like?
Samyang 14mm F2.8

It's a manual focus prime lens, cheap compared to anything else and very sharp across the frame. It's also sold under the brand names of Rokinon and Bower and maybe one other which I can't remember? Manual focusing generally isn't an issue due to the dof involved with a lens this wide.

-- hide signature --

“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 3,766Gear list
Like?
Re: Samyang 14mm F2.8
In reply to papillon_65, 8 months ago

I love my Samyang 14mm, but it's a long way from 14 to 50mm, and I would get a second lens to plug into that hole. How wide do you want to go? What do you plan to shoot? What wide angle focal lengths have you used before on what format?

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Colin Franks
Like?
In reply to BaggysGreenArmy, 8 months ago

I'll look into the Canon 17-40.  It would be nice to find a good used one.

I failed to mention that I would definitely want to be able to put an ND filter on this lens, so the Samyang is out.

Nancy:  As mentioned, I'd like to just get one lens, but you're correct, it is quite a hole from 14 or 17 to 50, so perhaps a prime wouldn't be the best choice for me.  I had a 14-45 and 20mm on my m4/3 (not that it matters what I had/used in the past).

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +15 more
bigfatron
Regular MemberPosts: 477Gear list
Like?

Colin Franks wrote:

Coming from m4/3, I recently bought a 6D, and have a 50mm; 70-200, and the Tamron 150-600 is on order. I'm not familiar with the offerings for wide angle lenses, so I'm seeking advice on what one lens would be a good choice for the 6D. I don't even know if I should get a prime or something with a little zoom. (General shooting/landscapes). Any advice?

Facing a similar dilemma (have a Sigma 10-20 but its an APS-C lens and will be getting sold).  Although my 24-105L is now actually reasonably wide on FF. My shortlist that I'm looking into are..

- Sigma 12-24mm II (crazy wide at the short end and OK without being wow)

- Canon 17-40L (the safe choice and the only one of the three that takes filters)

- Sigma 15mm diagonal fisheye (which looks intriguing, very good quality and is the cheaper of the three)

The Samyang others mentioned I was initially very much drawn to but put off a bit that some of the distortion is very difficult to correct, which limits its application slightly.  Seen some great images from it though

As for zoom versus prime, its the usual trade-offs.  You gain versatility but can lose a little in IQ and sometimes distortion and speed.  Given even a 10mm range of zoom, the difference in framing of shots at either end of that is massive.

bigfatron's gear list:bigfatron's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
fwampler
Senior MemberPosts: 1,261
Like?
Re: Wide angle lens? Canon 24-105; Rokinon 14 2.8

The 24-105 is a good general purpose lens. The Rokinon is a great wide-angle lens.

-- hide signature --

Fred

ktownbill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,940
Like?

BaggysGreenArmy wrote:

I too have the 6D and you wont get any wide angle lens than the Canon 17-40L for the price. Absolutely love it

-- hide signature --

Regards
Bruce
http://www.fullframephotos.co.uk
http://www.flickr.com/photos/benny450d
Canon 1DS Mk2
Canon 6D
Canon 17-40L f4
Canon 50mm f2.5 macro lens
Tamron 28-300mm f3.5-6.3
Sigma 24-70 f2.8
Canon 70-200L f4

I agree completely.  The 17-40 really shines at f/8 - f/16.  Anything wider, the corners start softening.  I highly recommend it for landscape.

-- hide signature --

Bill

papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,958Gear list
Like?
In reply to fwampler, 8 months ago

fwampler wrote:

The 24-105 is a good general purpose lens. The Rokinon is a great wide-angle lens.

-- hide signature --

Fred

I pretty much agree on this though I'd say my copy of the 24-105mm is better than just good, it's very good, though I accept there seems to be wide copy variation with it. Mine is sharp and has great contrast and colour, a great general purpose lens IMHO.

-- hide signature --

“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Colin Franks
Like?
In reply to papillon_65, 8 months ago

While the 24-105 may indeed be a good lens, I don't think it's what I'm after.  I have a killer 50 (f/1.2), a 2.8 70-200, so I feel that I've got that focal range covered already.  The 24-105 starts at 24, and if my aim is for a wide angle, 24 seems to be a high starting point rather than 17, although that may be splitting hairs.  Feel free to point out where that viewpoint is flawed.

bigfatron
Regular MemberPosts: 477Gear list
Like?

Colin Franks wrote:

While the 24-105 may indeed be a good lens, I don't think it's what I'm after. I have a killer 50 (f/1.2), a 2.8 70-200, so I feel that I've got that focal range covered already. The 24-105 starts at 24, and if my aim is for a wide angle, 24 seems to be a high starting point rather than 17, although that may be splitting hairs. Feel free to point out where that viewpoint is flawed.

I can understand where you're coming from completely. The 17-40 is definitely a safe bet and the additional range at the longer end might mean less changing lenses. My brother has the Mk 1 16-35 (which is actually another option as in the UK these go second hand for similar to a new 17-40) and that's plenty wide for most people.  Or go for a fisheye if you fancy something more extreme.

bigfatron's gear list:bigfatron's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
oscarvdvelde
Regular MemberPosts: 436Gear list
Like?

Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 comes close.

oscarvdvelde's gear list:oscarvdvelde's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 +1 more
Colin Franks
Like?
In reply to oscarvdvelde, 8 months ago

oscarvdvelde wrote:

Thanks, I'll look into that.  (What did we do before Google?)

Colin Franks
Like?

Well that didn't take long; it won't accept filters.

Pygmy
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
In reply to oscarvdvelde, 8 months ago

For some reason people rarely mention the tamron 17-35. I just bought one and it's a bargain for the price - it costs less than half of the canon 17-40, but it's really sharp, has great contrast and great colours. That is of course, if you buy second hand, as it's no longer in production.

Pygmy's gear list:Pygmy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
Peter Kwok
Senior MemberPosts: 2,149Gear list
Like?
24-105L vs 17-40L vs Samyang 14mm

I have all 3 lens mentioned in this discussion. I was not satisfied with my 17-40L. I just got the Samyang (Bower brand) from B&H for $299. After 1 month, I am still in love with it.

24-105L Pro:

• Large zoom range, great kit lens, flexible
  • Only IS lens in this list

24-105L Con:

• Image quality (particular sharpness) not as good as newer 24-70 & 70-200 L zooms
  • Large distortion, vignette & CA. But easily correctable in post processing
  • OP does not need this zoom range

17-40L Pro:

• Good zoom range, from ultra-wide to almost normal
  • Light weight but well built.

17-40L Con:

• Soft corners until stopped down beyond F8. Not good for interior, but not a problem for landscape.
  • Funny distortion, but correctable in post processing

Samyang 14 Pro:

• Very sharp. Great micro-contrast. Best image quality of all three.
  • F2.8
  • Inexpensive. ~$330 for a Canon mount version.
  • Heavier than the 17-40L, but still lighter than most ultra-wide.
  • Lens cap that actually stays. (very important for a bulb shape front element)

Samyang 14 Con:

• All MANUAL, including focus & aperture. Need to learn to focus at f2.8 then stop down to shooting aperture. Not for action unless pre-focus.
  • No electrical contacts. No focus confirmation. No aperture info on EXIF.
  • Strange center bulb shape distortion, but 3rd party profile for Lightroom works pretty well. I think PTLens also has a profile.
  • Cannot use filter

Samyang 14mm f2.8 at F4. Distortion corrected by Lightroom

-- hide signature --

Peter Kwok
Click here for my PBase gallery
WYSIWYG - If you don't like what you get, try to see differently.

Peter Kwok's gear list:Peter Kwok's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
oscarvdvelde
Regular MemberPosts: 436Gear list
Like?

Colin Franks wrote:

oscarvdvelde wrote:

Thanks, I'll look into that. (What did we do before Google?)

also, if instead of a zoom it has to be one prime wider than 50mm, I would go for the EF 28mm f/2.8 IS. In my experience shooting the Tokina I tend to gravitate to the 16-21 mm range and 28mm (and narrower if I only could). Maybe because I previously used the combo EF 28mm f/2.8 + Sigma 20mm f/1.8 EX. The difference between 28mm and 24mm is similar to just one step forward or backward if the subject is not too far away. On the other hand 24mm should be fine as well because one can always crop as necessary.

oscarvdvelde's gear list:oscarvdvelde's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 +1 more
SithTracy
Regular MemberPosts: 269Gear list
Like?

Colin Franks wrote:

I've got a Rokinon 14mm and love it, but there is a filter system for it and the Tokina that I am looking into.  Probably will pick it up in the coming months.  FotodioX WonderPana66 system.  Hoping I can search for some other user experiences before I take the plunge, but... who knows.  I'm not in a hurry, but like the thought that some company created a solution.

SithTracy's gear list:SithTracy's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-520 Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +18 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Let me know
In reply to SithTracy, 8 months ago

SithTracy wrote:

Colin Franks wrote:

I've got a Rokinon 14mm and love it, but there is a filter system for it and the Tokina that I am looking into. Probably will pick it up in the coming months. FotodioX WonderPana66 system. Hoping I can search for some other user experiences before I take the plunge, but... who knows. I'm not in a hurry, but like the thought that some company created a solution.

If you find a different solution. Filters are sometimes useful, but definitely not so much that I'd be willing to pay $500 for a filter holder and 2 filters. That's a little much, even if the filters needed are huge.

Actually, I found a Cokin filter set hack for the samyang

http://www.briefer.es/2013/08/como-fabricar-un-portafiltros-cokin-para-un-objetivo-angular

It's pretty ugly and I wouldn't use it for any events where you're the photographer, but otherwise it's usable.

Colin Franks
Like?
In reply to Pygmy, 8 months ago

Pygmy wrote:

For some reason people rarely mention the tamron 17-35. I just bought one and it's a bargain for the price - it costs less than half of the canon 17-40, but it's really sharp, has great contrast and great colours. That is of course, if you buy second hand, as it's no longer in production.

Thanks for this.  I think this is what I'm looking for.  This may be a stupid question, but is this a DX lens (rendering it a 25-50 on my FF)?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads