Help deciding whether to get the Nikon Df

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
tkelly11
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Help deciding whether to get the Nikon Df
7 months ago

Hi there, I realise the Df is a polarising camera but I was looking for some sensible advice from you guys and girls on this forum. Basically I have been happily using an Olympus EM5 the past few years and have been delighted with the results (you can see the types of stuff I take here for reference - http://wellisntthisabitglorious.com/). I like having a camera you can easily pop in a bag and isnt heavy enough to really notice it.

Now i realise m43 is a compromise that I have been up to this point quite happy with. However at a recent evening event a friend was taking some pics with his Canon 6D in low light with a 50mm 1.8 and the "look" of the image had a sort of magic to it. I love nice people pictures and it really got me thinking about FF. But I have never found the look of modern DSLR's attractive and feel they lack any character. I realise many wont care about this, but for some reason, probably from growing up using my father's cameras in the 80's and 90's, I find myself drawn to "retro" cameras as I find the emotional connection with the camera itself is almost as important as the images it takes (within reason). With that in mind, if I want the magic of FF but dont want the modern design that I dont enjoy, the only camera that ticks the boxes is the Df coupled with a few primes.

One of people's biggest complaints, particularly here in the UK is the price. At £2749.99 its a bit excessive particularly when compared to the US, where you basically just swap the pound sign for the dollar sign (plus tax). However I have noticed the likes of Panamoz and DigitalRev are selling body only for around £1670-1800 which sounds far more reasonable compared with the cost of a D610 (I realise these are grey imports but would be willing to take the risk for a saving of £1k+). But I have been pondering this decision at length so thought I would see if anyone had any thoughts. If the price was only 20%ish more for a Df over a D610, would that be more acceptable to make the Df an attractive prospect?

Will I see a noticeable increase in IQ across the board by going FF or will it only be in certain situations, low light for example? I have a wedding in Cape Town in March that I am attending so was thinking it would be a lot of fun to take to that.

As mentioned earlier in the post, for reference, my website shows the type of stuff I get - http://wellisntthisabitglorious.com/

Be great to hear what you guys that have a Df or other FX camera would think about such a thing.

Thanks you,

Tom

-- hide signature --
 tkelly11's gear list:tkelly11's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +4 more
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D610 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MRM4350
Senior MemberPosts: 1,496Gear list
Like?
Re: Help deciding whether to get the Nikon Df
In reply to tkelly11, 7 months ago

tkelly11 wrote:

Hi there, I realise the Df is a polarising camera but I was looking for some sensible advice from you guys and girls on this forum. Basically I have been happily using an Olympus EM5 the past few years and have been delighted with the results (you can see the types of stuff I take here for reference - http://wellisntthisabitglorious.com/). I like having a camera you can easily pop in a bag and isnt heavy enough to really notice it.

Now i realise m43 is a compromise that I have been up to this point quite happy with. However at a recent evening event a friend was taking some pics with his Canon 6D in low light with a 50mm 1.8 and the "look" of the image had a sort of magic to it. I love nice people pictures and it really got me thinking about FF. But I have never found the look of modern DSLR's attractive and feel they lack any character. I realise many wont care about this, but for some reason, probably from growing up using my father's cameras in the 80's and 90's, I find myself drawn to "retro" cameras as I find the emotional connection with the camera itself is almost as important as the images it takes (within reason). With that in mind, if I want the magic of FF but dont want the modern design that I dont enjoy, the only camera that ticks the boxes is the Df coupled with a few primes.

One of people's biggest complaints, particularly here in the UK is the price. At £2749.99 its a bit excessive particularly when compared to the US, where you basically just swap the pound sign for the dollar sign (plus tax). However I have noticed the likes of Panamoz and DigitalRev are selling body only for around £1670-1800 which sounds far more reasonable compared with the cost of a D610 (I realise these are grey imports but would be willing to take the risk for a saving of £1k+). But I have been pondering this decision at length so thought I would see if anyone had any thoughts. If the price was only 20%ish more for a Df over a D610, would that be more acceptable to make the Df

I spent a few hours with the Df using manual primes, and a 70-300 VR. While looking at the Df evokes memories of my FE, using it does not. The reason is it's size, it just doesn't have the same  feel. Another problem is that I have been shooting a D90 and a D7000 for the last four and a half years and become accustomed to using the two command dials, so returning to the shutter dial took some practice. Despite it's size (compared to my 35 mm Nikon's) it is a very nice camera to use.

an attractive prospect?

Will I see a noticeable increase in IQ across the board by going FF or will it only be in certain situations, low light for example? I have a wedding in Cape Town in March that I am attending so was thinking it would be a lot of fun to take to that.

What would you consider an "increase in IQ" to be? The Df puts out some very smooth files, but you can't print as large as the D800 using the same DPI/PPI. Many people equate IQ to pixels, but pixels only equate to print size, or cropping ability. There are two ways to get detail, crop your 24/36 MP image to 12-16 MP, or get close enough to get all of the detail on the sensor.

I think you will like the IQ from the Df, but I'm not sure I would describe it as an "increase".

As mentioned earlier in the post, for reference, my website shows the type of stuff I get - http://wellisntthisabitglorious.com/

Be great to hear what you guys that have a Df or other FX camera would think about such a thing.

Thanks you,

Tom

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Waynerm002
Regular MemberPosts: 100Gear list
Like?
Re: Help deciding whether to get the Nikon Df
In reply to tkelly11, 7 months ago

Tom, I came from a D300 to the Df, as my first full frame camera.  I balked at getting a D600 or the D800 as I loved the way my D200 and D300 looked and handled as a camera.  I liked the idea of a lighter camera but wanted better low light performance so was seriously thinking of getting  D700 as going to a D4 would negate the "light" portion of my needs (so too would the D700 but not as much as the D4).  The Df to me is the FF camera that check the boxes I want.  Video was not on my list and it's nice to get a camera that just do photography.  I find I can crop a bit more with this camera and the image quality is nicer than the D300 straight from the camera.  From what you described, the Df is the camera you should check out to fit those needs.

I got mine in Hong Kong and I know if there are any warranty Issues, I would have to ship it back there and I am OK with that.  For that price, I say go for it.  If you want to compare image quality, get a memory card, have a local shop let you shot with one or rent one to shoot with and then decide.  You have some really nice images on your site.  I haven't done a lot with the Dyet but have a few I took on vacation after I purchased it.  Look at my site in the travel section, the photos in HK are with the Df , wrmphoto.zenfolio.com.  The rest are from a D50, D200 and D300 over the years.  I think the photos are a bit different but that could be me.

Hi there, I realise the Df is a polarising camera but I was looking for some sensible advice from you guys and girls on this forum. Basically I have been happily using an Olympus EM5 the past few years and have been delighted with the results (you can see the types of stuff I take here for reference -http://wellisntthisabitglorious.com/). I like having a camera you can easily pop in a bag and isnt heavy enough to really notice it.

Now i realise m43 is a compromise that I have been up to this point quite happy with. However at a recent evening event a friend was taking some pics with his Canon 6D in low light with a 50mm 1.8 and the "look" of the image had a sort of magic to it. I love nice people pictures and it really got me thinking about FF. But I have never found the look of modern DSLR's attractive and feel they lack any character. I realise many wont care about this, but for some reason, probably from growing up using my father's cameras in the 80's and 90's, I find myself drawn to "retro" cameras as I find the emotional connection with the camera itself is almost as important as the images it takes (within reason). With that in mind, if I want the magic of FF but dont want the modern design that I dont enjoy, the only camera that ticks the boxes is the Df coupled with a few primes.

One of people's biggest complaints, particularly here in the UK is the price. At £2749.99 its a bit excessive particularly when compared to the US, where you basically just swap the pound sign for the dollar sign (plus tax). However I have noticed the likes of Panamoz and DigitalRev are selling body only for around £1670-1800 which sounds far more reasonable compared with the cost of a D610 (I realise these are grey imports but would be willing to take the risk for a saving of £1k+). But I have been pondering this decision at length so thought I would see if anyone had any thoughts. If the price was only 20%ish more for a Df over a D610, would that be more acceptable to make the Df an attractive prospect?

Will I see a noticeable increase in IQ across the board by going FF or will it only be in certain situations, low light for example? I have a wedding in Cape Town in March that I am attending so was thinking it would be a lot of fun to take to that.

As mentioned earlier in the post, for reference, my website shows the type of stuff I get -http://wellisntthisabitglorious.com/

Be great to hear what you guys that have a Df or other FX camera would think about such a thing.

Thanks you,

Tom

 Waynerm002's gear list:Waynerm002's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,973Gear list
Like?
Re: Help deciding whether to get the Nikon Df
In reply to tkelly11, 7 months ago

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3601228

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/is-your-photography-better.html

-- hide signature --

www.nightstreets.com
-
One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WarrenInOntario
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?
Re: Help deciding whether to get the Nikon Df
In reply to coronawithlime, 7 months ago

I also moved from the D300 to Df recently and was motivated by the Df sensor. Not disappointed. Here's a shot captured last night in Naples, Fla. which would have been beyond the capabilities of my D300. Shot with the Df kit 50mm f\1.8 @ ISO4000, available light.

If your objectives are similar to mine, just spend the bucks -  it's a 5-10 year investment in something you love if you think like me.

Warren

-- hide signature --
 WarrenInOntario's gear list:WarrenInOntario's gear list
Nikon Df
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jfpap
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
Re: Help deciding whether to get the Nikon Df
In reply to WarrenInOntario, 7 months ago

WOW, you've got some serious 3D effect going on there!  Nice.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dv312
Senior MemberPosts: 1,552Gear list
Like?
Use MFT as well
In reply to tkelly11, 7 months ago

I use both the Df and MFT gear

The EM5 output is superb, you can't ask more from a sensor a quarter the size of FF

However there are a few things the Df yield can better results

1) low noise at high ISOs; MFT can't approach this , not does the D800/600 or Canon for that matter

2) the clear shallow DOF when using the Df with fast primes (F2.0 or faster) ; one can see the clear isolation of the subject to the BG (sort of 3D like) ; with MFT this is harder to achieve; but for group shots MFT has the advantage even at F4

3) fast AF especially with C-AF; MFT can't beat DSLRs as yet in this area; for static AF, MFT CDAF is good enough

The rest is all personal preference EVF vs OVF, mirror vs non mirror, small vs large body

To me the Df with its classic retro design is a huge plus in my books; I 'd never have bought it had it have the same design as the d800/600

I love the dials and manual controls which I 'm used to in the film days

Now whether those differences warrant the extra dough for you, only you can decide

If you have deep pockets then don't think twice, it's the better camera of the 2

if not then maybe borrow or loan one before making the jump

Best wishes

Cheers

 dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Patrick McMahon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197Gear list
Like?
Nikon Df
In reply to tkelly11, 7 months ago

Tom, I echo all of the complimentary descriptions of the Df.

As far as printing is concerned you will be fine unless you are looking for billboard prints.

Concerning the grey market- I always stay away from them here in the states - the cost benefit is never enough. If I lived in the UK and was subjected to the pricing scheme there I would JUMP on the GM Df. This is of course after you take it for a spin. Pricing aside, the reason I say this is because of it's excellent construction. It is built like a tank but without the weight. As many have commented, all of our cameras had ~250 shutter releases and I feel that the QC on this product was demanding.

Good Luck

 Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
j_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122Gear list
Like?
Re: Help deciding whether to get the Nikon Df
In reply to tkelly11, 7 months ago

tkelly11 wrote:

Will I see a noticeable increase in IQ across the board by going FF or will it only be in certain situations, low light for example? I have a wedding in Cape Town in March that I am attending so was thinking it would be a lot of fun to take to that.

I just spent the weekend shooting a theater festival with a borrowed dF as my second camera, and my regular d800 as the first camera. At high iso, the dF will produce cleaner files than the d800 or the d600. At low iso, the difference is less obvious.

Although I am not specifically looking for a retro-styled body, I did enjoy the smaller size, lighter weight, and even some of the manual controls (exposure compensation especially). The biggest negatives for me are the high price and single card slot.

I think with a good prime lens it would be a fun camera to carry around, and capable of excellent results.

 j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stuart001
Regular MemberPosts: 426Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon Df
In reply to Patrick McMahon, 7 months ago

I won't comment directly on the Df because I don't have one, but you will certainly see a difference in IQ.  If it's worth it only you can decide.  I moved from DX to FX and it was worth it for me.

I have bought 'grey market' Nikon equipment in the past and will happily do so again. I live in Australia and use US mail order (BH, Adorama) because of the same issue--outrageous price gouging. You MAY have a problem that needs to be repaired under warranty, but the chances have to be pretty low, and all it takes is careful packing (keep the box) and posting off to the respective Nikon Service centre wherever it may be. In the off chance that you DO need to pay for repairs in the UK, most issues could easily be fixed for less than the price difference. With the vast increase in online sales these days, the parcel post system has improved to the point where it transportation of such parcels is no longer a risk.

 Stuart001's gear list:Stuart001's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hugo First
Contributing MemberPosts: 735
Like?
Re: Help deciding whether to get the Nikon Df
In reply to tkelly11, 7 months ago

good luck finding you answer. i'm having quite a similar ordeal trying to make the same call. my reasons are a bit different but i've been batting this thing back and forth for a fortnight, and i'm no closer to a resolution now than i was at the beginning.

i take that as a strong indication that i don't really need a Df, but i can't simply banish the notion, either.

i'm lured in by the smaller weight (size seem comparable to the "prosumer" nikon DSLRs, so it ain't what you'd call small). the retro appearance is not especially alluring but the compatibility with old MF nikkors is a draw. i envision it as a nighttime and street camera, so its reputed ISO abilities are desirable, but having grown to adore the D800s large files, i'm less than impressed by 16mpx resolution -- even though it's clearly enough.

the price isn't, i'm a bit embarassed to admit, not a big stumbling block. what's a bit discouraging to me is trying to figure out how i'm going to get my money's worth using the darned thing. that wouldn't be an issue at all if i was retired and had lots of time on my hands, but as it is, my free time is so limited that i sometimes only have opportunity to shoot on weekends. self indulgence is one thing, but pointless accumulation of material goods is difficult for me to rationalize.

so, here i sit, reading yet another Df thread and pondering whether this camera would be a good fit for me, and a useful addition to my kit. thus far, an answer escapes me -- although, again, to ask the question is almost to answer it.

good luck to anyone else in a similar quandary.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mistur
Regular MemberPosts: 122Gear list
Like?
Re: Help deciding whether to get the Nikon Df
In reply to tkelly11, 7 months ago

I'm really enjoying my Df shooting primes on the street.

Mistur
http://street-style.ca
http://flickr.com/photos/mistur

 Mistur's gear list:Mistur's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Alpha 7S Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tkelly11
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Re: Help deciding whether to get the Nikon Df
In reply to MRM4350, 7 months ago

MRM4350 wrote:

tkelly11 wrote:

Hi there, I realise the Df is a polarising camera but I was looking for some sensible advice from you guys and girls on this forum. Basically I have been happily using an Olympus EM5 the past few years and have been delighted with the results (you can see the types of stuff I take here for reference - http://wellisntthisabitglorious.com/). I like having a camera you can easily pop in a bag and isnt heavy enough to really notice it.

Now i realise m43 is a compromise that I have been up to this point quite happy with. However at a recent evening event a friend was taking some pics with his Canon 6D in low light with a 50mm 1.8 and the "look" of the image had a sort of magic to it. I love nice people pictures and it really got me thinking about FF. But I have never found the look of modern DSLR's attractive and feel they lack any character. I realise many wont care about this, but for some reason, probably from growing up using my father's cameras in the 80's and 90's, I find myself drawn to "retro" cameras as I find the emotional connection with the camera itself is almost as important as the images it takes (within reason). With that in mind, if I want the magic of FF but dont want the modern design that I dont enjoy, the only camera that ticks the boxes is the Df coupled with a few primes.

One of people's biggest complaints, particularly here in the UK is the price. At £2749.99 its a bit excessive particularly when compared to the US, where you basically just swap the pound sign for the dollar sign (plus tax). However I have noticed the likes of Panamoz and DigitalRev are selling body only for around £1670-1800 which sounds far more reasonable compared with the cost of a D610 (I realise these are grey imports but would be willing to take the risk for a saving of £1k+). But I have been pondering this decision at length so thought I would see if anyone had any thoughts. If the price was only 20%ish more for a Df over a D610, would that be more acceptable to make the Df

I spent a few hours with the Df using manual primes, and a 70-300 VR. While looking at the Df evokes memories of my FE, using it does not. The reason is it's size, it just doesn't have the same feel. Another problem is that I have been shooting a D90 and a D7000 for the last four and a half years and become accustomed to using the two command dials, so returning to the shutter dial took some practice. Despite it's size (compared to my 35 mm Nikon's) it is a very nice camera to use.

an attractive prospect?

Will I see a noticeable increase in IQ across the board by going FF or will it only be in certain situations, low light for example? I have a wedding in Cape Town in March that I am attending so was thinking it would be a lot of fun to take to that.

What would you consider an "increase in IQ" to be? The Df puts out some very smooth files, but you can't print as large as the D800 using the same DPI/PPI. Many people equate IQ to pixels, but pixels only equate to print size, or cropping ability. There are two ways to get detail, crop your 24/36 MP image to 12-16 MP, or get close enough to get all of the detail on the sensor.

I think you will like the IQ from the Df, but I'm not sure I would describe it as an "increase".

As mentioned earlier in the post, for reference, my website shows the type of stuff I get - http://wellisntthisabitglorious.com/

Be great to hear what you guys that have a Df or other FX camera would think about such a thing.

Thanks you,

Tom

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Thanks Michael for your response, appreciate you taking the time. As for the "increase in IQ", it was just that FF quality. I love taking photos and what I saw out of my friends 6D just had a magic to it that I couldn't fully articulate with words. Thats what got me tempted.

Thanks,

Tom

-- hide signature --
 tkelly11's gear list:tkelly11's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tkelly11
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Re: Help deciding whether to get the Nikon Df
In reply to Waynerm002, 7 months ago

Waynerm002 wrote:

Tom, I came from a D300 to the Df, as my first full frame camera. I balked at getting a D600 or the D800 as I loved the way my D200 and D300 looked and handled as a camera. I liked the idea of a lighter camera but wanted better low light performance so was seriously thinking of getting D700 as going to a D4 would negate the "light" portion of my needs (so too would the D700 but not as much as the D4). The Df to me is the FF camera that check the boxes I want. Video was not on my list and it's nice to get a camera that just do photography. I find I can crop a bit more with this camera and the image quality is nicer than the D300 straight from the camera. From what you described, the Df is the camera you should check out to fit those needs.

I got mine in Hong Kong and I know if there are any warranty Issues, I would have to ship it back there and I am OK with that. For that price, I say go for it. If you want to compare image quality, get a memory card, have a local shop let you shot with one or rent one to shoot with and then decide. You have some really nice images on your site. I haven't done a lot with the Df yet but have a few I took on vacation after I purchased it. Look at my site in the travel section, the photos in HK are with the Df , wrmphoto.zenfolio.com. The rest are from a D50, D200 and D300 over the years. I think the photos are a bit different but that could be me.

Hi there, I realise the Df is a polarising camera but I was looking for some sensible advice from you guys and girls on this forum. Basically I have been happily using an Olympus EM5 the past few years and have been delighted with the results (you can see the types of stuff I take here for reference -http://wellisntthisabitglorious.com/). I like having a camera you can easily pop in a bag and isnt heavy enough to really notice it.

Now i realise m43 is a compromise that I have been up to this point quite happy with. However at a recent evening event a friend was taking some pics with his Canon 6D in low light with a 50mm 1.8 and the "look" of the image had a sort of magic to it. I love nice people pictures and it really got me thinking about FF. But I have never found the look of modern DSLR's attractive and feel they lack any character. I realise many wont care about this, but for some reason, probably from growing up using my father's cameras in the 80's and 90's, I find myself drawn to "retro" cameras as I find the emotional connection with the camera itself is almost as important as the images it takes (within reason). With that in mind, if I want the magic of FF but dont want the modern design that I dont enjoy, the only camera that ticks the boxes is the Df coupled with a few primes.

One of people's biggest complaints, particularly here in the UK is the price. At £2749.99 its a bit excessive particularly when compared to the US, where you basically just swap the pound sign for the dollar sign (plus tax). However I have noticed the likes of Panamoz and DigitalRev are selling body only for around £1670-1800 which sounds far more reasonable compared with the cost of a D610 (I realise these are grey imports but would be willing to take the risk for a saving of £1k+). But I have been pondering this decision at length so thought I would see if anyone had any thoughts. If the price was only 20%ish more for a Df over a D610, would that be more acceptable to make the Df an attractive prospect?

Will I see a noticeable increase in IQ across the board by going FF or will it only be in certain situations, low light for example? I have a wedding in Cape Town in March that I am attending so was thinking it would be a lot of fun to take to that.

As mentioned earlier in the post, for reference, my website shows the type of stuff I get -http://wellisntthisabitglorious.com/

Be great to hear what you guys that have a Df or other FX camera would think about such a thing.

Thanks you,

Tom

Thank you, interesting to hear your comments coming from DX to FX. Have you noticed a difference in IQ moving to full frame? I am interested as I fear I may be seeing an improvement that the people looking at my photos may never appreciate. Interestingly that when i mention to friends that I am looking at a Df and mention its price, the tend to react surprised and ask why I would need anything more than what I have already (Oly EM5) based on the pics they have seen on my website, facebook etc. I just find it interesting that I am probably the only one (with the possible exception of friends with an interest in photography) that might appreciate the difference.

Had a look at your pics, some nice stuff in there.

-- hide signature --
 tkelly11's gear list:tkelly11's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tkelly11
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Re: Use MFT as well
In reply to dv312, 7 months ago

dv312 wrote:

I use both the Df and MFT gear

The EM5 output is superb, you can't ask more from a sensor a quarter the size of FF

However there are a few things the Df yield can better results

1) low noise at high ISOs; MFT can't approach this , not does the D800/600 or Canon for that matter

2) the clear shallow DOF when using the Df with fast primes (F2.0 or faster) ; one can see the clear isolation of the subject to the BG (sort of 3D like) ; with MFT this is harder to achieve; but for group shots MFT has the advantage even at F4

3) fast AF especially with C-AF; MFT can't beat DSLRs as yet in this area; for static AF, MFT CDAF is good enough

The rest is all personal preference EVF vs OVF, mirror vs non mirror, small vs large body

To me the Df with its classic retro design is a huge plus in my books; I 'd never have bought it had it have the same design as the d800/600

I love the dials and manual controls which I 'm used to in the film days

Now whether those differences warrant the extra dough for you, only you can decide

If you have deep pockets then don't think twice, it's the better camera of the 2

if not then maybe borrow or loan one before making the jump

Best wishes

Cheers

Thank you, great to hear from someone that owns both. As you say the EM5 is an outstanding camera and I have loved using it, and it can easily come with me everywhere. Your 3 points all make sense, points one and two in particular for my uses. I also have an interest in airshow photography, but fast lenses for that purpose would be prohibitively expensive (for me), so that will have to wait.

So from your experience with both, do you see a significant step up in overall IQ from the EM5? Or is it just in certain circumstances (low light, shallow dof situations) where you really notice the difference?

Thanks again,

Tom

-- hide signature --
 tkelly11's gear list:tkelly11's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tkelly11
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Re: Help deciding whether to get the Nikon Df
In reply to j_photo, 7 months ago

j_photo wrote:

tkelly11 wrote:

Will I see a noticeable increase in IQ across the board by going FF or will it only be in certain situations, low light for example? I have a wedding in Cape Town in March that I am attending so was thinking it would be a lot of fun to take to that.

I just spent the weekend shooting a theater festival with a borrowed dF as my second camera, and my regular d800 as the first camera. At high iso, the dF will produce cleaner files than the d800 or the d600. At low iso, the difference is less obvious.

Although I am not specifically looking for a retro-styled body, I did enjoy the smaller size, lighter weight, and even some of the manual controls (exposure compensation especially). The biggest negatives for me are the high price and single card slot.

I think with a good prime lens it would be a fun camera to carry around, and capable of excellent results.

Thank you, that sounds exactly what I am after. I just want to make sure I will appreciate the difference in quality going from the EM5 and it will suit my style.

-- hide signature --
 tkelly11's gear list:tkelly11's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tkelly11
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Re: Help deciding whether to get the Nikon Df
In reply to Hugo First, 7 months ago

Hugo First wrote:

good luck finding you answer. i'm having quite a similar ordeal trying to make the same call. my reasons are a bit different but i've been batting this thing back and forth for a fortnight, and i'm no closer to a resolution now than i was at the beginning.

i take that as a strong indication that i don't really need a Df, but i can't simply banish the notion, either.

i'm lured in by the smaller weight (size seem comparable to the "prosumer" nikon DSLRs, so it ain't what you'd call small). the retro appearance is not especially alluring but the compatibility with old MF nikkors is a draw. i envision it as a nighttime and street camera, so its reputed ISO abilities are desirable, but having grown to adore the D800s large files, i'm less than impressed by 16mpx resolution -- even though it's clearly enough.

the price isn't, i'm a bit embarassed to admit, not a big stumbling block. what's a bit discouraging to me is trying to figure out how i'm going to get my money's worth using the darned thing. that wouldn't be an issue at all if i was retired and had lots of time on my hands, but as it is, my free time is so limited that i sometimes only have opportunity to shoot on weekends. self indulgence is one thing, but pointless accumulation of material goods is difficult for me to rationalize.

so, here i sit, reading yet another Df thread and pondering whether this camera would be a good fit for me, and a useful addition to my kit. thus far, an answer escapes me -- although, again, to ask the question is almost to answer it.

good luck to anyone else in a similar quandary.

Yeah, its one of those things, once you decide you want it, its very hard to let it go! But partly because you know they arent probably going to do a next or new version for minimum 18 months to 2 years. So if you are excited now, you might as well jump on! I have a holiday to SA planned in March so I think I am going to bide my time and see if there is any drop in cost between now and then. I have already seen the Panamoz price drop by a fair bit.

Good luck in your decision!

-- hide signature --
 tkelly11's gear list:tkelly11's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tkelly11
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon Df
In reply to Stuart001, 7 months ago

Stuart001 wrote:

I won't comment directly on the Df because I don't have one, but you will certainly see a difference in IQ. If it's worth it only you can decide. I moved from DX to FX and it was worth it for me.

I have bought 'grey market' Nikon equipment in the past and will happily do so again. I live in Australia and use US mail order (BH, Adorama) because of the same issue--outrageous price gouging. You MAY have a problem that needs to be repaired under warranty, but the chances have to be pretty low, and all it takes is careful packing (keep the box) and posting off to the respective Nikon Service centre wherever it may be. In the off chance that you DO need to pay for repairs in the UK, most issues could easily be fixed for less than the price difference. With the vast increase in online sales these days, the parcel post system has improved to the point where it transportation of such parcels is no longer a risk.

Thanks Stuart, I appreciate your comment re moving from DX to FX. I played with a D610 in a shop and the few pictures I took did have a wonderful 3D effect which I believe to be better than what I get already, but its quite hard to tell objectively, or whether I am lying to myself to get myself excited about buying the Df!

-- hide signature --
 tkelly11's gear list:tkelly11's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tkelly11
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon Df
In reply to Patrick McMahon, 7 months ago

Patrick McMahon wrote:

Tom, I echo all of the complimentary descriptions of the Df.

As far as printing is concerned you will be fine unless you are looking for billboard prints.

Concerning the grey market- I always stay away from them here in the states - the cost benefit is never enough. If I lived in the UK and was subjected to the pricing scheme there I would JUMP on the GM Df. This is of course after you take it for a spin. Pricing aside, the reason I say this is because of it's excellent construction. It is built like a tank but without the weight. As many have commented, all of our cameras had ~250 shutter releases and I feel that the QC on this product was demanding.

Good Luck

Thanks Patrick! Yes, in the UK, the Df's price feels quite ridiculously unbalanced when compared to the States or Asia. So its actually quite a good opp to get something at £1k cheaper than you would get in the stores here.

Cheers

-- hide signature --
 tkelly11's gear list:tkelly11's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gotompoes
Regular MemberPosts: 416Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon Df
In reply to tkelly11, 7 months ago

I am using both a m 4/3 camera and the DF.
I love the DF for its smooth and silky files and excellent ISO performance. My E P5 files look somewhat grainy in comparison with the DF files. My E P 5 is however a better camera for street and life style photography requiring an unobtrusive and creative approach. For urban, landscape and other types of photography i prefer a full frame approach. I can't do without the small m 4/3 system and a full frame system such as the DF.

 gotompoes's gear list:gotompoes's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus PEN E-P5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads