E-M10, to be smaller than E-M5 and have built-in flash!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
zilver
Contributing MemberPosts: 511Gear list
Like?
E-M10, to be smaller than E-M5 and have built-in flash!
8 months ago

A lot of people are excited with E-M1, I bought and sold it because I'm disappointed. In my opinion m43 shouldn't keep getting bigger and more complicated shouldn't be aiming only to please pros and semi-pros, we have full frame, APS-C, both mirrorless and DSLRs for that.

So if the rumours are correct, E-M10 will be a must have backup cameras or enthusiast camera of the year, delivering a quality in a size impossible to compete by other systems.

- Smaller body than even E-M5

- Great EVF

- Built-in Flash (Finally!)

- IBIS (shame it's not the 5 axis but should suffice)

- Full tiltable and touch screens

- Processor and sensor similar to E-M1 and E-M5 respectively

Here's a link to the rumour confirmed by 2 of their trusted source, I hope this is true, I have many cameras but can't wait to replace a couple of them with this!

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-olympus-e-m10-has-a-smaller-body-than-the-e-m5-and-built-in-flash/

 zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony Alpha 7S Leica T
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 3,917Gear list
Like?
I guessed it! (Stylus 1 and 3 axis IBIS)
In reply to zilver, 8 months ago

After seeing the Stylus 1 and reading the EM-10 would have 3 axis-IS (less IS sensors?) I was pretty sure it would have the built-in flash.

 Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,019Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M10, to be smaller than E-M5 and have built-in flash!
In reply to zilver, 8 months ago

I have stated this a few time in the past few weeks.  I am guessing the upcoming E-M10 will have a lot of its body styling based on the Stylus One.  This means a slightly smaller body than the E-M5 but better handling.  The handling of the Stylus One is better than the E-M5.  The E-M5 and Stylus One EVF. This is to keep size and cost down.  The Stylus One pop-up flash. Like the Stylus One the AEP removedto reduce cost and price.

It should bd a nice camera at a good price.

 DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lindsay D
Regular MemberPosts: 346
Like?
Re: E-M10, to be smaller than E-M5 and have built-in flash!
In reply to zilver, 8 months ago

zilver wrote:

A lot of people are excited with E-M1, I bought and sold it because I'm disappointed. In my opinion m43 shouldn't keep getting bigger and more complicated shouldn't be aiming only to please pros and semi-pros, we have full frame, APS-C, both mirrorless and DSLRs for that.

The EM1 is barely any bigger than the EM5 - it's just a few millimetres longer, and is only fatter because it incorporates the all-important side grip - a vital component of the improved ergonomics (which pretty much every EM5 owner has been banging on about). It has nothing to do with appeasing the pros, instead Olympus responded to the many gripes and niggles which were repeatedly raised by EM5 owners, and to their credit they appear to have addressed all of them. Not every professional or advanced photographer wishes to (or is able to) cart around heavy DSLR cameras and (more importantly) big lenses.

There are plenty of Micro 4/3 cameras which are abundantly suited to enthusiasts and hobbyists, which is why the EM1 filled such an important gap in the market, and was so enthusiastically received.

I agree the new EM10 will be terrific, and like its slightly bigger brothers, will continue to appeal to a very wide audience.

-- hide signature --

www.lindsaydobsonphotography.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,394
Like?
Looks like GX7 competitor
In reply to zilver, 8 months ago

Seems like Olympus is aiming at the GX7 audience rather than the E-M5/E-M1 audience....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zilver
Contributing MemberPosts: 511Gear list
Like?
Re: EVF
In reply to DLBlack, 8 months ago

Stylus 1 uses E-M5 EVF, I hope the E-M10 uses the one from E-M1 (and VF4)  which is higher resolution and truly stunning, even better than the newest Sony A7s.

DLBlack wrote:

I have stated this a few time in the past few weeks. I am guessing the upcoming E-M10 will have a lot of its body styling based on the Stylus One. This means a slightly smaller body than the E-M5 but better handling. The handling of the Stylus One is better than the E-M5. The E-M5 and Stylus One EVF. This is to keep size and cost down. The Stylus One pop-up flash. Like the Stylus One the AEP removedto reduce cost and price.

It should bd a nice camera at a good price.

 zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony Alpha 7S Leica T
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
smithling
Regular MemberPosts: 300Gear list
Like?
Re: Looks like GX7 competitor
In reply to amtberg, 8 months ago

Seems like Olympus is aiming at the GX7 audience rather than the E-M5/E-M1 audience....

Yes. It's working. I've got my eye on the GX-7, but will wait to buy it to see what the EM-10 offers.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lambert4
Senior MemberPosts: 1,238Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M10, to be smaller than E-M5 and have built-in flash!
In reply to zilver, 8 months ago

I am also hoping that like the EP5, EM5, and EM1 that this one shares the same battery.

Of course I am still happy with my EM5 and would only hope so, so that on a year or two I have an option that still uses my surplus of stuff.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

 lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,019Gear list
Like?
Re: EVF
In reply to zilver, 8 months ago

Yes the E-M1 has a great evf and it is a lot better than the one in the E-M5 and Stylus One.  Still it is larger and more expensive.  It appears that the upcoming E-M10 is more about small size and low price.  So I will expect the Stylus One and E-M5 EVF.

 DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
broody
Regular MemberPosts: 333
Like?
Re: EVF
In reply to DLBlack, 8 months ago

So the features over the EM5 will basically be... smaller (which I guess excludes the possibility of a grip attachment... except maybe something like the EPL5), better JPEGs and a pop-up flash.

That's kind of unexciting. Oh well, it's bound to get all the EP-5's features (Wifi, F/8000, ISO 100), so it will be a decent refresh anyways.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zilver
Contributing MemberPosts: 511Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M10, to be smaller than E-M5 and have built-in flash!
In reply to Lindsay D, 8 months ago

In my opinion, when the E-M5 first came out, it's wildly popular with the mass not just with professional reviewers like the E-M1. This is because even though as you say E-M1 is only a little bigger and a little more expensive but it makes people question whether it's too big, too expensive, or sensor size is too small for both size and price (it's same size as A7R with 4 times bigger full frame sensor).

At the size and price, it's no longer an impulse buy from the phone camera generation or even a great backup with excellent image quality for people with bigger setup.

E-M1 is a flagship to show what's possible, but wait and see I think E-M10 will sell a lot more units despite some reviewers complaining of poorer ergonomics, 3 axis IBIS, weak flash, not the best video, etc.

Lindsay D wrote:

The EM1 is barely any bigger than the EM5 - it's just a few millimetres longer, and is only fatter because it incorporates the all-important side grip - a vital component of the improved ergonomics (which pretty much every EM5 owner has been banging on about). It has nothing to do with appeasing the pros, instead Olympus responded to the many gripes and niggles which were repeatedly raised by EM5 owners, and to their credit they appear to have addressed all of them. Not every professional or advanced photographer wishes to (or is able to) cart around heavy DSLR cameras and (more importantly) big lenses.

There are plenty of Micro 4/3 cameras which are abundantly suited to enthusiasts and hobbyists, which is why the EM1 filled such an important gap in the market, and was so enthusiastically received.

I agree the new EM10 will be terrific, and like its slightly bigger brothers, will continue to appeal to a very wide audience.

-- hide signature --

www.lindsaydobsonphotography.com

 zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony Alpha 7S Leica T
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,722Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M10, to be smaller than E-M5 and have built-in flash!
In reply to zilver, 8 months ago

I do not like to discuss rumors.

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

 s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,019Gear list
Like?
Re: EVF
In reply to broody, 8 months ago

broody wrote:

So the features over the EM5 will basically be... smaller (which I guess excludes the possibility of a grip attachment... except maybe something like the EPL5), better JPEGs and a pop-up flash.

That's kind of unexciting. Oh well, it's bound to get all the EP-5's features (Wifi, F/8000, ISO 100), so it will be a decent refresh anyways.

The Stylus One has better handling than the E-M5.  You also get the extra small focus points like in the E-P5.  Also the processor from the E-M1, which is fast w/ large buffer.  It just might be weather sealed. The entry level Pentax is weather sealed so Olympus might be able to do it and keep it within the price target.

Still I wouln't expect too much new exciting things in a camera belowcthevflagship camera.

 DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,554Gear list
Like?
Confirmation?
In reply to s_grins, 8 months ago

s_grins wrote:

I do not like to discuss rumors.

I just read an FT4 rumor about your willingness to discuss rumors.   This brings it to FT5, but stay tuned. . .

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
.
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man
.

 Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Abrak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,387
Like?
Re: E-M10, to be smaller than E-M5 and have built-in flash!
In reply to zilver, 8 months ago

zilver wrote:

In my opinion, when the E-M5 first came out, it's wildly popular with the mass not just with professional reviewers like the E-M1.

Out of interest, what makes you think that the OMD E-M5 was 'wildly popular with the mass' because it hasnt been (well I guess it has been wildly popular on this forum.) I think Olympus has sold approximately 150,000 units over the last 18 months - with Pen sales outnumbering OMD sales at least 5:1. The E-M5 accounted for about 0.6% of ILC sales during this period.

As an example of hard data - the E-M5 was the 11th best selling mirrorless in Japan in 2012 and the 17th best selling mirrorless in Japan in 2013.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,722Gear list
Like?
Re: Confirmation?
In reply to Bob Tullis, 8 months ago

Bob Tullis wrote:

s_grins wrote:

I do not like to discuss rumors.

I just read an FT4 rumor about your willingness to discuss rumors. This brings it to FT5, but stay tuned. . .

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
.
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man
.

Well,

Sometimes magic works!!!   

Best

S.

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

 s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lambert4
Senior MemberPosts: 1,238Gear list
Like?
I have to be honest, if it falls in line with G6 pricing...it will be a winner.
In reply to zilver, 8 months ago

For better or worse if it has the rumored features and the specs of the Ep5 EM1 it will be a winning body for Olympus, low ISO and faster shutter speed than EM5, wi-fi and built in flash for fill or remote trigger use, and size similar to the EP or EPL it sounds just like  GX7 option in Olympus' line up and that is a good thing.

i am constantly amazed and impressed with the rate at which the system is being developed, it actually is so fast and furious that I am holding onto gear longer knowing that not only will my wishes eventually be met but stuff.  Never thought of will be available.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

 lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zilver
Contributing MemberPosts: 511Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M10, to be smaller than E-M5 and have built-in flash!
In reply to Abrak, 8 months ago

I did say 'in my opinion', but here you go data from 2012

http://www.43rumors.com/cipa-report-on-2012-sales-in-japan-less-mirrorless-cameras-produced/

E-M5 quickly rose up the charts soon after its launch.

Here is further data

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2014/01/mirrorless-camera-sales-statistics-from.html

The fact that best selling is E-PL series proves my point even further than smaller camera with good image quality is where the demand is at, not bigger and more expensive camera for m43.

Abrak wrote:

zilver wrote:

In my opinion, when the E-M5 first came out, it's wildly popular with the mass not just with professional reviewers like the E-M1.

Out of interest, what makes you think that the OMD E-M5 was 'wildly popular with the mass' because it hasnt been (well I guess it has been wildly popular on this forum.) I think Olympus has sold approximately 150,000 units over the last 18 months - with Pen sales outnumbering OMD sales at least 5:1. The E-M5 accounted for about 0.6% of ILC sales during this period.

As an example of hard data - the E-M5 was the 11th best selling mirrorless in Japan in 2012 and the 17th best selling mirrorless in Japan in 2013.

 zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony Alpha 7S Leica T
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim Salvas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,808Gear list
Like?
Yes, but where's the power switch? (nt)
In reply to zilver, 8 months ago
-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

 Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
perry rhodan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,278Gear list
Like?
please get rid of the unpleasant 16x9 screen asap! (nt)
In reply to Jim Salvas, 8 months ago
No text.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads