SONY ANSWERED!!!! PART 2

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,693
Like?
SONY ANSWERED!!!! PART 2
8 months ago

The previous thread on this subject hit the 150 mark in less than 48 hours so I'm 'reloading' it in case anybody has something more to say on the subject

To summarise I posted a request on Imaging Resource to ask Sony what the discontinuation of the NEX name meant and for clarification of what is happening with the new models. Imaging Resource did ask Sony some of these questions and rather positively we actually got some information back from Sony:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/01/10/whither-nex-what-does-the-end-of-the-nex-moniker-mean-for-e-mount-fans

Summary:

Point 1: we don't call them NEX, we call them ILCE (I guess that's FF ILCE and APS-C ILCE). In the previous thread rsf3127 informed us that 'Ilce' is a rather old-fashioned and unattrative woman's name in portugese-speaking countries!

Point 2: the A5000 is the update to the NEX-3n (with a $100 launch price increase!). It is not a NEX-5 update. This implies that it is not a merge of the two series so a NEX-5 replacement is still theoretically possible

"I can see that there might be some confusion there because some may see the Alpha 5000 designation as being somewhat similar to another 5-series camera, the NEX-5T. However, that's merely coincidental.

"The Alpha 5000 is not the successor to the NEX-5T, in spite of the five in their model names. We realize that the shift from a three to a five in the model number might confuse some, but the Alpha 5000 is the successor to the NEX-3N. If you look at the feature set, the configuration, the control layout, the objective of the design of the model and its target user, the Alpha 5000 is much more consistent with the NEX-3N than it is with the NEX-5T."

Point 3: Sony are still 'commited to A-mount'

Point 4: The NEX name was killed because it became 'too popular' (!) and people were referring to the cameras as NEX instead of Alpha. Sony were concerned that people 'wouldn't realise that there was cross-compatibility between A-mount and E-mount'. This is the direct quote:

"However, the NEX model name prefix seems to have grown in prominence, such that the general public refer to them as NEX cameras instead of Alpha cameras. And therefore there was some concern on our part that they might not be perceived as Alpha cameras.

The model name prefix started to segregate our E-mount cameras from our A-mount cameras," and that was never our intention.

There was also confusion about compatibility. The model name prefix had grown to take on all kinds of significance, and there was concern that consumers could easily misunderstand there to be a lack of compatibility between the two. Our A-mount cameras and E-mount cameras share many cross-compatibility characteristics, yet there was a perception that NEX and Alpha were somehow quite different."

Why couldn't they have said this all three months ago? Well, a few points for finally communicating with us and lots of thanks to Imaging Resource for making them 'fess-up'

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! Campaign for *REAL* NEX replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

Sony a5000 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ecsh1
Regular MemberPosts: 364Gear list
Like?
Re: SONY ANSWERED!!!! PART 2
In reply to parallaxproblem, 8 months ago

Since they are in the mood to talk, ask them about future updates for the A99, A77.

This would be a nice way to tell the customer base we hear you and are not abandoning you.

ecsh1's gear list:ecsh1's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
parallaxproblem
Like?
In reply to ecsh1, 8 months ago

ecsh1 wrote:

Since they are in the mood to talk, ask them about future updates for the A99, A77.

This would be a nice way to tell the customer base we hear you and are not abandoning you.

They won't give specifics about new models prior to launch, that is standard behaviour

However we can ask them why things happened, and maybe get them to talk in general terms about their vision of the future of their product ranges...

-- hide signature --

jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,778
Like?
re: I'm glad to see the continuation - the part I was...

...shilled to premature extinction by jamming with inconsequential rubbish from the well known perpetrators - every act of replying to them just serves to forwards a thread they target to die sooner rather than later

jpr2

PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,008Gear list
Like?
Re: re: I'm glad to see the continuation - the part I was...
In reply to jpr2, 8 months ago

jpr2 wrote:

...shilled to premature extinction by jamming with inconsequential rubbish from the well known perpetrators - every act of replying to them just serves to forwards a thread they target to die sooner rather than later

jpr2

Agree with you and there should be consequences for those that do so. This is quite valid when you see 4-5 in a row from the same poster slamming a thread to get rid of it because they are unhappy with the subject matter.

I think this debranding is going to be a topic for discussion for quite some time since it just isn't adding up and there is a lot of loyalty to the NEX brand. There will be continuous comparisons to NEX quality as Sony releases the replacements. I was holding out for a second body with the 20.1 mp sensor but became unsure about it yesterday while reading up on the A58 which was the first to use it. I thought it was a new design on the A3000 but realized it had been around since early 2013. What else do we know about this sensor version since it will probably be used in the NEX successors, excecpt N7S? Is it really going to be better than the 16.1 mp one used in the NEX-3N/5/6? Sony must have figured out how to make the 20.1 mp sensor cheaply seeing the price of the A3000. With the Nikon D3300 entry level APS-C DSLR coming out with the 24.2mp sensor is Sony staying competitive? I'm also curious if the D3300 is using the same sensor as the NEX-7.

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
parallaxproblem
Like?
In reply to PVCdroid, 8 months ago

PVCdroid wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

jpr2

Agree with you and there should be consequences for those that do so. This is quite valid when you see 4-5 in a row from the same poster slamming a thread to get rid of it because they are unhappy with the subject matter.

I think this debranding is going to be a topic for discussion for quite some time since it just isn't adding up and there is a lot of loyalty to the NEX brand. There will be continuous comparisons to NEX quality as Sony releases the replacements. I was holding out for a second body with the 20.1 mp sensor but became unsure about it yesterday while reading up on the A58 which was the first to use it. I thought it was a new design on the A3000 but realized it had been around since early 2013. What else do we know about this sensor version since it will probably be used in the NEX successors, excecpt N7S? Is it really going to be better than the 16.1 mp one used in the NEX-3N/5/6? Sony must have figured out how to make the 20.1 mp sensor cheaply seeing the price of the A3000. With the Nikon D3300 entry level APS-C DSLR coming out with the 24.2mp sensor is Sony staying competitive? I'm also curious if the D3300 is using the same sensor as the NEX-7.

Hi Pat

The 20MP sensor seems to be decent enough, it's the rest of the A58 which is such a disappointment and in someways even a downgrade on the A37 (plastic lens mount!).  We still need to see if the A5000 maintains the same build quality as the NEX-3N, in spite of its insane $100 price rise, or if there is a build-quality drop like there was on the A58

NEX-5T and NEX-6 seem to be much better value, and closeout NEX-5R, NEX-7 and NEX-3N even more so

I don't see how the $600 launch price of the A5000 is competive for these specs, and makes no sense after the 'cut-price' A3000 and A7/r releases.  But what happens when this camera doesn't sell...  do Sony blame it all internally on the RF styling?

-- hide signature --

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,018Gear list
Like?
Yay!

Now, get over it.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Tuloom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,132
Like?

parallaxproblem wrote:

Point 1: we don't call them NEX, we call them ILCE (I guess that's FF ILCE and APS-C ILCE). In the previous thread rsf3127 informed us that 'Ilce' is a rather old-fashioned and unattrative woman's name in portugese-speaking countries!

This is certainly some sort of attempt to sent into motion the Daufy-Englibechenham effect. Get the portuguese angry at Sony. The Portuguese and the Japanese go to war. The chemical companies who manufacture contrail juices get rich. Pretty obvious when one thinks it through.

jpr2
Like?
Pat: is the 24Mpx sensor of d3300 the same as was introdueced a bit earlier...

PVCdroid wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

...into d5200? If there is even only 95% similarity with the 24Mpx one of N7-Classic, the... it forms very attractive package indeed:

• IMO the resolution advantage of 24 Mpx in N7 is bar to none; the only (pretty slight) problems concern really low light DR & noise;
  • PROS: at least semi-decent AF for dynamic action shooting/tracking (nothing to get excited about, but certainly leagues better than N7's CDAF);
  • CONS: while the Nikon is only slightly longer than N7, yet substantially higher, and deeper too: it is also marginally (60g) heavier than N7;

jpr2

wictred
Contributing MemberPosts: 950Gear list
Like?

parallaxproblem wrote:

The previous thread on this subject hit the 150 mark in less than 48 hours so I'm 'reloading' it in case anybody has something more to say on the subject

I bet you do.

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
wictred
Contributing MemberPosts: 950Gear list
Like?

PVCdroid wrote:

I think this debranding is going to be a topic for discussion for quite some time

yes, this is a very interesting topic. while you're at it, please also discuss if the sky is falling or not. very exciting.

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
parallaxproblem
Like?
In reply to wictred, 8 months ago

wictred wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

I bet you do.

Not particularly.  I deliberately kept out of the first thread as much as possible

Do you have anything to say about the subject matter, as all I've seen are two disparaging comments from you so far about the people posting in the thread?

Not a particulary constructive contribution...

-- hide signature --

EinsteinsGhost
Like?

wictred wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

I bet you do.

Not particularly.  I deliberately kept out of the first thread as much as possible

Do you have anything to say about the subject matter, as all I've seen are two disparaging comments from you so far about the people posting in the thread?

Not a particulary constructive contribution...

-- hide signature --

So you created one threa without caring for a conversation. Now a part 2, and are whining about people telling you like it is.

Contain your excitement. Sony didn't really tell you anything you weren't told by members here (yeah those you hate to see responding but not ditto heading with you).

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
ecsh1
Regular MemberPosts: 364Gear list
Like?

parallaxproblem wrote:

ecsh1 wrote:

They won't give specifics about new models prior to launch, that is standard behaviour

However we can ask them why things happened, and maybe get them to talk in general terms about their vision of the future of their product ranges...

-- hide signature --

I am actually speaking of updates to the existing A99, A77. Not their replacements.

ecsh1's gear list:ecsh1's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?

I believe there is a degree of consensus that Sony Marketing blew it, and least that's the impression from their explanation. Unless they had a legal problem with the name that they are covering up.

They know how to confuse people. They'll suffer for killing the NEX name, which was probably worth a lot more than theoretical compatibility with A mount cameras. People who buy accessories will discover what is compatible. People who don't just think that Sony used to make a great product line called NEX and they don't make them anymore.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
EinsteinsGhost
Like?
In reply to tesilab, 8 months ago

I believe there is a degree of consensus that Sony Marketing blew it, and least that's the impression from their explanation. Unless they had a legal problem with the name that they are covering up.

They know how to confuse people. They'll suffer for killing the NEX name, which was probably worth a lot more than theoretical compatibility with A mount cameras. People who buy accessories will discover what is compatible. People who don't just think that Sony used to make a great product line called NEX and they don't make them anymore.

Sony might be hoping for more educated buyers than thise who might only figure out accessories only if their camera said NEX.

captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,926Gear list
Like?
In reply to jpr2, 8 months ago

jpr2 wrote:

jpr2

Thank God, the paid shills/ perps/ fanboys/ trolls have receded, for the time being.

~
Nex-7 classic:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157629823874033/
street candids (non-interactive):
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157609618638319/
music and dance:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157600341265280/
B&W:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157623306407882/
wildlife & macro:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157600341377106/
interactive street:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157623181919323/
Comments and critique are always welcome!
~

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,926Gear list
Like?
In reply to wictred, 8 months ago

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Son Of Mustang Ford
Regular MemberPosts: 287
Like?
In reply to captura, 8 months ago

captura wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

jpr2

Thank God, the paid shills/ perps/ fanboys/ trolls have receded, for the time being.

~
Nex-7 classic:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157629823874033/
street candids (non-interactive):
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157609618638319/
music and dance:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157600341265280/
B&W:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157623306407882/
wildlife & macro:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157600341377106/
interactive street:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157623181919323/
Comments and critique are always welcome!
~

I think you meant to say "those who were right".

jpr2
Like?
Tesilab: my thoughts exactly...
In reply to tesilab, 8 months ago

tesilab wrote:

...esp. as this (and similar moves) grossly undermine their patrons confidence in the products they might have bought earlier.

Resulting in substantially less sales = a vicious cycle really as it is bound to repeated again and again, in danger to spiral pretty quickly beyond any control. It is much easier to spill the milk that to make everything whole again !!

jpr2

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads