Is there an SLR with no viewfinder blackout?

Started 6 months ago | Questions
PhotomuseX
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Is there an SLR with no viewfinder blackout?
6 months ago

Hi there, I am a professional photog looking to further a personal project involving long exposures. I would like to track my subject throughout the exposure. Currently, viewfinder blackout does not allow me to maintain visual contact with my subject as I expose for 1 second or longer.

Does anyone know of an SLR that does not have any viewfinder blackout? I would greatly appreciate any recommendations.

Thank you!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 6,974
Like?
Re: Is there an SLR with no viewfinder blackout?
In reply to PhotomuseX, 6 months ago

You could rent a Leica M. It's not an SLR, of course, but you do get continuous viewing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
karl eller
Regular MemberPosts: 229Gear list
Like?

PhotomuseX wrote:

Hi there, I am a professional photog looking to further a personal project involving long exposures. I would like to track my subject throughout the exposure. Currently, viewfinder blackout does not allow me to maintain visual contact with my subject as I expose for 1 second or longer.

Does anyone know of an SLR that does not have any viewfinder blackout? I would greatly appreciate any recommendations.

Thank you!

An SLR? No, because that's how an SLR works: When not taking an exposure, light comes in through the lens, bounces off some mirrors and out the viewfinder. When taking an exposure, mirror flips up and light goes on to the film/sensor instead, and there's nothing showing in the viewfinder.

What you need is something that has an Electronic Viewfinder that will remain active during the exposure, so you probably need to look at some of the Mirrorless ILCs.

karl eller's gear list:karl eller's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
R for reflex

the reflex refers to the mirror mechanism.

You can have the mirror up, or the sensor. You can't have both at the same time. That's how DSLRs work.

Joe Pineapples
Senior MemberPosts: 1,926Gear list
Like?
Canon Pellix (film SLR) (n/t)

Joe

Joe Pineapples's gear list:Joe Pineapples's gear list
Ricoh GR
steephill
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,958
Like?
Sony SLT or..

Any Live View capable DSLR of which there are many.

-- hide signature --

Steve

www.pbase.com/steephill

tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,088
Like?
what?

Just put any SLR in liveview. Or buy a mirrorless. Not hard.

PhotomuseX wrote:

Thank you!

Vikas Rana
Contributing MemberPosts: 805Gear list
Like?
Sight Gadgets

No SLR can do this but you can attach a Sight-Finder to any camera, a discussion is going in Sony SLR forum: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3571427

The gadget is available on amazon as well as B&H

Some sample images from the thread:

Vikas Rana's gear list:Vikas Rana's gear list
Sony SLT-A58 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II Adobe Photoshop CS6
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,416
Like?

PhotomuseX wrote:

Thank you!

Interesting. M4/3s gets close, with live bulb refreshing the screen every 0.5s, but I doubt that's sufficient.

I think the Red Dot Sight, posted above may be the best option.

markkuk
Contributing MemberPosts: 554Gear list
Like?
Olympus E-10 and E-20
 markkuk's gear list:markkuk's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +4 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
This sentence
In reply to markkuk, 6 months ago

" It also means that the E-10 has very little shutter noise (no mirror flip), to compensate you can (god forbid) enable a simulated shutter sound (just like a Sony Mavica)."

That sentence made me think... I think I'd have to enable the sound! Quiet shutter is a pleasure, but a shutter with no sound? Would drive me crazy!

Vikas Rana
Like?
Re: Olympus E-10 and E-20
In reply to markkuk, 6 months ago

markkuk wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse10

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse20

-ve, Its not mentioned anywhere that matches the OP's requirement. Its pretty much a compact version Sony Alpha SLTs...

Sony SLT-A58 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II Adobe Photoshop CS6
DaveOl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,716
Like?
Re: liveview
In reply to Vikas Rana, 6 months ago

Any of the old pellicle mirror cameras, but almost all were film cameras.

Vikas Rana
Like?
Re: liveview
In reply to DaveOl, 6 months ago

DaveOl wrote:

Any of the old pellicle mirror cameras, but almost all were film cameras.

Its Canon EOS RT, but it reflects 2/3 (66.66%) of light to OVF & 1/3 (33.33%) to film that results in noise as well as slower shutter speed.

SLTs sensor get 70% of light that served to EVF, only 30% goes to A/F mechanism.

But Canon EOS RT OVF does not blackout

tcg550
Contributing MemberPosts: 774
Like?
Re: what?
In reply to tko, 6 months ago

tko wrote:

Just put any SLR in liveview. Or buy a mirrorless. Not hard.

Not any SLR. I just pulled out a D90 out of curiosity, live view goes dark on a long exposure.

scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,422
Like?
In reply to karl eller, 6 months ago

karl eller wrote:

What you need is something that has an Electronic Viewfinder that will remain active during the exposure, so you probably need to look at some of the Mirrorless ILCs.

Except electronic viewfinder shows zip when sensor is busy recording a long exposure.

The only systems that do what OP wants are those with non-TTL viewfinders.    Get a rangefinder or a TLR.

peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 5,112Gear list
Like?
In reply to scorrpio, 6 months ago

scorrpio wrote:

karl eller wrote:

Except electronic viewfinder shows zip when sensor is busy recording a long exposure.

Actually, Olympus cameras have Live Bulb and Live Time modes which update screen/EVF during exposure, as often as every 0.5 seconds.

tsk1979
Senior MemberPosts: 1,021Gear list
Like?
SLT is the correct answer(nt)
In reply to steephill, 6 months ago
-- hide signature --

Tanveer
My galleries - http://tanveer.smugmug.com,
My photography page on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/TanveersPhotography

tsk1979's gear list:tsk1979's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +5 more
Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 11,719Gear list
Like?
To what question?
In reply to tsk1979, 6 months ago

An SLT does not update the EVF during still exposures.  The top-of-the-line A99 doesn't even supply live view updates at 6 FPS continuous -- just replays of the previous exposure (past not present).  You don't get actual updates until you drop down to 3 FPS.  Heck, even a Canon Rebel can do better flapping it's mirror at 4-5 FPS.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson's gear list:Erik Magnuson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +24 more
Vikas Rana
Like?
Re: To what question?
In reply to Erik Magnuson, 6 months ago

Erik Magnuson wrote:

An SLT does not update the EVF during still exposures. The top-of-the-line A99 doesn't even supply live view updates at 6 FPS continuous -- just replays of the previous exposure (past not present). You don't get actual updates until you drop down to 3 FPS. Heck, even a Canon Rebel can do better flapping it's mirror at 4-5 FPS.

-- hide signature --

Erik

I'm not sure about A99 but SLT A77 provides updates with 12 fps, like any other SLR/Ts it blacked out in long exposures

12fps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0oAno5MD5I

8fps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8HFmyfZLf4

3fps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV6VLnW8G3o

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads