How many of you use lens hoods?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
roby17269
Contributing MemberPosts: 934Gear list
Like?
Re: How many of you use lens hoods?
In reply to mike, 11 months ago

I use hoods all the time apart from:

• when I want the front element to be as near as possible to something (e.g. shooting thru cages or glass)
  • when I use my EF 8-15mm f/4L (you see the hood when shooting at the widest focal lengths)
  • when I use my TS-E 17mm f/4L (no hood available for that lens}
  • when I do macro with a macro flash attached (hood would not fit and in any case shooting distances are too short - matter of fact, my MP-E 65mm macro is the only lens I have for which I do not have a hood)

It seems like a lot of cases but they amount to a tiny fraction of my photography nowadays. Otherwise the hood is always on to reduce light leaks (reduce flare, improve contrast) and for a small measure of protection

-- hide signature --
 roby17269's gear list:roby17269's gear list
Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Nik Color Efex Pro Nik Silver Efex Pro Canon EOS-1D X +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rbarta
Regular MemberPosts: 272Gear list
Like?

I use them on sunny days.  I don't use them indoors or for macro (they can scare critters like butterflies).  I also tent to not bother carrying the one for my 16-35, I can always use my hand if necessary to shield sun flare.

rbarta's gear list:rbarta's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +8 more
Lemming51
Forum ProPosts: 12,938Gear list
Like?
yes, always.

mike wrote:

Just curious how often you use lens hoods.  I personally never seem to use them. am I missing something, do they really help.

You're missing the flare reduction from off-axis light sources.  Plus the physical protection the hood offers in case of bumps or drops, much better than a "protective" filter that'll shatter, scratch the lens and get jammed onto the threads.

The only reason not to use a lens hood is if you're using the low-mounted built-in flash on a near subject.  In that case the hood is likely to block the flash light and throw a shadow.

I rarely/never use the built-in flash, so I use the hood 100% of the time.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +5 more
DotCom Editor
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,588Gear list
Like?
I use them on my lenses
  1. They prevent or minimize the possibility of lens flare
  2. They provide insurance against damage when you whack the lens against a door frame or concrete floor
  3. They are easily and inexpensively replaced if gouged and scratched beyond your aesthetic limits

The only time I don't use a lens hood is when shooting macros. Then, getting close is the overriding factor.

Philip Ganderton
Regular MemberPosts: 398Gear list
Like?
In reply to PeterK, 11 months ago

Every lens, all the time. I even use a Leica metal hood on my 40f2.8 pancake!

Just doesn't seem to be a lens without a hood. And then there's the protection a hood offers...

-- hide signature --

Philip Ganderton Canon 1DX, 1D3, 16-35F2.8L II, 24-105/f4L, 40Pancake, 50f1.4, 85F1.2L II, 100f2.8 Macro, 135f2L, 70-300L IS, Sigma 12-24 DG, 50f1.4 DG, Samyang 14f2.8, Crumplers

Philip Ganderton's gear list:Philip Ganderton's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +9 more
Collett
Senior MemberPosts: 5,000
Like?
Re: I use them on my lenses
In reply to DotCom Editor, 11 months ago

DotCom Editor wrote:

1. They prevent or minimize the possibility of lens flare
  2. They provide insurance against damage when you whack the lens against a door frame or concrete floor
  3. They are easily and inexpensively replaced if gouged and scratched beyond your aesthetic limits

The only time I don't use a lens hood is when shooting macros. Then, getting close is the overriding factor.

I do most of the time when shooting outdoors, but not so often when indoors.

anisah
Regular MemberPosts: 248Gear list
Like?

Like most responders I use them nearly all the time. Outdoors it is 100% during daylight hours, though, ocasionally, after dark, if using a flash, I will not use them.

Indoors it is a different matter, and they are seldom used. Often, if I am using a flash a hood is quite inapproriate, and also if I am doing close-up work in my mini-studio a hood is not necessary.

The hood, as many others have said, does provide a good level of protection for an expensive lens - its cheaper to replace the hood than the lens! Additionally as, living in a relatively northern position, many pictures are take with the sun from south east to south west, and the hood does help a lot with flare. Also all my expensive lens have good quality multicoated UV filters as additional protection. Such filters do not tend to impact the IQ so are a sound investment.

anisah's gear list:anisah's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +7 more
NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 4,178Gear list
Like?
almost always

Exception being an old macro lens that has a very deeply inset front element.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Kabe Luna
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,371Gear list
Like?

mike wrote:

Just curious how often you use lens hoods. I personally never seem to use them. am I missing something, do they really help.

Thanks in advance

mike

Very rarely take them off my newer, flare-resistant lenses. They help maximize contrast and prevent flare. However, on the old Nikkors I use because of their tendency to flare, I don't use hoods at all.

-- hide signature --
 Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +8 more
Alben
Regular MemberPosts: 183
Like?

Always, but the only filters are NDs or a polarizer.

Regards, Alan

ok55
Contributing MemberPosts: 519
Like?

Just curious how often you use lens hoods.  I personally never seem to use them. am I missing something, do they really help.

Thanks in advance

mike

Use hoods on all lenses all the time.
Brgds

Andy Blanchard
Contributing MemberPosts: 960
Like?
Mostly, but it does depend on what I'm doing

For wildlife, sports and other subjects with little or no need to use filters, then pretty much all the time, especially on the telephotos.  Ditto for street photography and other subjects where there is little or no time to setup filters, etc.

For landscapes, it's entirely down to the subject and lens.  I tend to work with a tripod and take my time over the shot, so as long as I don't need to use my Lee filter holder then I'll normally put the hood on to control any lens flare and improve contrast.  The exception to that is with my UWA lenses, where I never both with the hoods as they are so bulky and offer so little protection against lens flare I just don't bother wasting the space in my camera bag.  Whenever I'm not using the hood though I do try and use my Lee filter holder or some other suitable item to shade the front of lens if it won't be in-frame.

Andy

Sellwood
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?

I use one on 3 of my 4 lenses, as much for lens protection as lens flare. Many times I've bumped the lens hood on some object and think how lucky to have a lens hood.

Sellwood's gear list:Sellwood's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +2 more
Undah
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,302
Like?
Only rarely
In reply to ASR45, 11 months ago
No text.
billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,934Gear list
Like?

I do use them. For protection and to prevent flare.

However, I did meet a pro once who made a point of telling that he didn't use hoods or filters. Too much hassle and slowed him down.
--
- Bill

Graham Meale
Senior MemberPosts: 1,089Gear list
Like?

You reminded me of a thread I started a few years ago. The original photos are long gone, but it doesn't matter.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +5 more
Glenn NK
Contributing MemberPosts: 963Gear list
Like?

mike wrote:

Just curious how often you use lens hoods. I personally never seem to use them. am I missing something, do they really help.

Thanks in advance

mike

Always,

And they do help (to reduce reflections from light impinging on the surface of the lens/filter).

Protection is also important.  Plastic lens hoods are much more flexible than lenses so they absorb impact shock before the lens takes it.

Next time you watch a sports event see how many lenses don't have hoods.

-- hide signature --

Glenn NK
Victoria, BC

songeun7
Contributing MemberPosts: 527Gear list
Like?

NEVER! don't need to

songeun7's gear list:songeun7's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
BaldCol
Regular MemberPosts: 239Gear list
Like?

I always use a lens hood when I shooting outside. It rarely comes off the lens.

I was out at 4am at a fabulous riverside location in Poland without a hood (left in the hotel room for some inexplicable reason). Every shoot ruined by massive flare and lack of contrast. Using a hand or something else to try to shield the lens just doesn't work as well.

For me it's really a case of why would you not use a lens hood. It's not going to do any harm if its not needed, weighs little and requires no effort to use.

Colin

BaldCol's gear list:BaldCol's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5–5.6 IS STM +2 more
Rock and Rollei
Regular MemberPosts: 435Gear list
Like?
In reply to BaldCol, 11 months ago

I don't have a hood for my 40mm, or (currently) for any of my EF-M lenses. Otherwise, I use a hood all the time, for the reasons everyone else does, except when using system filters, or in the case of the 8-15, at 8mm.

Rock and Rollei's gear list:Rock and Rollei's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M Pentax Q +34 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads