How many of you use lens hoods?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
mike
Regular MemberPosts: 179
Like?
How many of you use lens hoods?
7 months ago

Just curious how often you use lens hoods.  I personally never seem to use them. am I missing something, do they really help.

Thanks in advance

mike

Fog Maker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,108
Like?
Re: How many of you use lens hoods?
In reply to mike, 7 months ago

mike wrote:

Just curious how often you use lens hoods. I personally never seem to use them. am I missing something, do they really help.

Thanks in advance

mike

All the time.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VKM3
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?

If I'm setup on a tripod with time I'll snap it on.  Otherwise I find I just don't bother.

-- hide signature --
PeterK
Contributing MemberPosts: 874
Like?

Virtually always on almost all of my lenses. I use them as the primary method to protection. Learned during events that they keep the lens protected from fingers, bumps, etc. very well. Same thing works well in the field, hiking, bushwacking, or any other activity.

Don't use one on the 40mm pancake yet, as the lens is quite small and recessed.

-- hide signature --

www.pkphoto.net

Mike921
Regular MemberPosts: 284Gear list
Like?

mike wrote:

Just curious how often you use lens hoods. I personally never seem to use them. am I missing something, do they really help.

Thanks in advance

mike

as clumsy as I am, I use them 100%

Mike921's gear list:Mike921's gear list
Canon PowerShot S400 Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X +9 more
Colin Franks
Contributing MemberPosts: 687Gear list
Like?
 Colin Franks's gear list:Colin Franks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +15 more
bhollis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,519Gear list
Like?

Always.

bhollis's gear list:bhollis's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
AOKH
Senior MemberPosts: 2,568Gear list
Like?

mike wrote:

Thanks in advance

mike

Always, even when in the bag! Protection and flare-resistance.

-- hide signature --

Regards. Anders

AOKH's gear list:AOKH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +14 more
SwedishGoose
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?

Always use them on all my lenses. I only take them of if I need to. For instance to add a filtersystem.

They protect the lens and keep stray light out improving the IQ. I see no reason to not use hoods...

Never use filters for protection though as they can deteriorate the IQ and their ability to protect the lens is debatable.
----------------------------------
My Flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/swedishgoose/

victorian squid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,951Gear list
Like?
99% of the time

Maybe, maybe if I'm inside at home, it's late and nobody's watching I'll whip it outwithout a hood.

They're my #1 lens protection. The 17-40 is a royal pain as it's as big as a dinner plate and doesn't fit in a bag for $#&*!, but I still haul it around. And, there's the added image improvement cutting out stray light.

10-20% of the time I've got a clear protection (B+W, Marumi) filter for outside windy/dusty/inclement weather - but the hood is still on.

-- hide signature --

"I'm afraid that if you look at a thing long enough, it loses all of its meaning." Andy Warhol

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +27 more
Keith Z Leonard
Senior MemberPosts: 4,120Gear list
Like?

mike wrote:

Thanks in advance

mike

I use mine a lot.  My Sigma prime's hood is on 100% of the time because it's small enough to fit nicely in the bag.  The other hoods go on any time that I am shooting on a sunny day or I think there's any risk to the lenses.  They reduce flare and protect the front element, if you are mostly shooting indoors and not towards bright lights you may notice the difference in the actual photographs.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,260Gear list
Like?
In reply to Fog Maker, 7 months ago

All the time +1.    

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II +8 more
NT enty
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?

100% of the time!!! only time i have them off is when i need that extra space for storage.

but during a shoot. ALWAYS ON! its the best way to protect your lens without compromising image quality.

Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,624Gear list
Like?
Yes, usually.

Hoods provide some level of protection to the filter threads and outer element. Even my EF 40mm 2.8 STM has its diminutive hood in place. My EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, which is one of my two most-used lenses, does not usually wear its hood, but I leave the Macro Ringlite adapter in place, which acts as an abbreviated hood.

The hood on my EF-S 10-22mm has deflected several impacts that might have damaged the filter threads or outer element.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Nikon D700 +24 more
RS_RS
Senior MemberPosts: 1,446
Like?
In reply to Fog Maker, 7 months ago

Fog Maker wrote:

mike wrote:

Thanks in advance

mike

All the time.

+1

Marx81
Regular MemberPosts: 416Gear list
Like?
 Marx81's gear list:Marx81's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +3 more
irm
irm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,523Gear list
Like?
Re: 99% of the time
In reply to victorian squid, 7 months ago

Try the 16-35 f2.8 L Mk I, it doesn't fit, nor does the 135 f2 hood, just plain large.

The 17-55 2.8 didn't come with one and the 16-35 doesn't seem to work on it.

Now I use the 6D so the 17-55 is no longer an issue.

-- hide signature --

my 2 exposed flashcubes worth.
Ian the pbase supporter.
http://pbase.com/ianm_au
Please check my profile for equipment list.
An amateur with dreams of being a good to excellent photographer.

irm's gear list:irm's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +12 more
irm
irm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,523Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes, usually.
In reply to Rexgig0, 7 months ago

Which reminds me I have misplaced the hood for the 40mm stm.

-- hide signature --

my 2 exposed flashcubes worth.
Ian the pbase supporter.
http://pbase.com/ianm_au
Please check my profile for equipment list.
An amateur with dreams of being a good to excellent photographer.

irm's gear list:irm's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +12 more
Telhma
Regular MemberPosts: 342
Like?

I use them always, exept on my 17-40 lens, and on my 8-15mm lens when the hood start to get in the frame when i zoom out. on all other lenses, they are always attached.

greets

leecamera
Regular MemberPosts: 471
Like?

Dropped my 5D3 2ft to the ground with a 70-200 lens attached.  It hit lens hood first and I suffered no more than a scuffed lens hood.

No, if there had been no lens hood... ugh...

Despite the obvious benefits of reducing flare I just don't trust myself or the public bumping into me to not use a hood.

Even use a hood when shooting indoors at my studio.  Feels wrong not to.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads