NEX-6 vs. X-E2

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
mgn2
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
NEX-6 vs. X-E2
11 months ago

Any owned/used both? I'd like to hear what you have to say.

I have a NEX-6 with kit 16-50mm lens and the Sony 35mm and Sigma 30mm. I also have the Fuji X100 which I love.

I shoot jpegs only, and mostly baby/kids (fast), family, portraits, landscape.

What bugs me about the NEX: not enough affordable and fast excellent wide/normal primes, long menu, inability to set min. shutter speed and max ISO for Auto ISO mode (important)

Compared to the NEX-6 I want (1) AF at least as fast (2) same low-light performance or better (3) same IQ or better (4) size should not be much larger with lens attached. I typically don't carry multiple lenses around and happy to shoot with 1 excellent prime on the camera when outside. I don't plan to have more than 2-3 lenses total and prefer primes. Pocket-ability is important to me.

Should I switch to the X-E2? If yes, which lenses would you get?

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,052
Like?
Re: NEX-6 vs. X-E2
In reply to mgn2, 11 months ago

mgn2 wrote:

I have a NEX-6 with kit 16-50mm lens and the Sony 35mm and Sigma 30mm. I also have the Fuji X100 which I love.

What bugs me about the NEX: not enough affordable and fast excellent wide/normal primes, long menu, inability to set min. shutter speed and max ISO for Auto ISO mode (important)

Compared to the NEX-6 I want (1) AF at least as fast (2) same low-light performance or better (3) same IQ or better (4) size should not be much larger with lens attached. I typically don't carry multiple lenses around and happy to shoot with 1 excellent prime on the camera when outside. I don't plan to have more than 2-3 lenses total and prefer primes. Pocket-ability is important to me.

Shooting jpg and wanting fast primes is right in the Fuji X wheelhouse but I think it would help if you could provide a few more details.  You say pocketability is important - are you ok with a larger zoom or are looking to go all primes and not replace your 16-50 zoom?  Also, what prime focal lengths are you planning to use?   And do you value the OSS in the Sony 35 (I don't think the Fuji prime will have this)?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Steve W
Contributing MemberPosts: 701Gear list
Like?

I have the X-E2 and looked at the NEX-6 when I bought my X-E1.  The Fuji's now, with firmware upgrades support max ISO, min shutter speed, typical ISO configuration in AutoISO. Nice to have.

I personally think the Fast prime selection is excellent on the Fuji. I have both the 23mm and 35mm which are both f/1.4 (35 and 50mm equivalents). Of course you can get the Zeiss Touit 32mm for both the NEX and Fuji if you like that better. Not sure what focal length your most interested in. Also, happen to think the XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 is a great all around lens but you would have to have "big" pockets for that.

I currently have both and X-E2 and X-E1 so I leave the 18-55 on my X-E1 and use primes with my X-E2. You could also look at the pancake lens, the XF 27mm f/2.8. Very small and sharp. A 40mm equivalent. For me I like the ability to switch the lenses and pick the right one for the days plan.  So I use the pancake on occasion or when I'm in town and just want something small. The medium zoom for walks in the woods and general flexibility and the primes for more serious work or when I know I will need the speed or the shallow DOF.

Low light performance I think is also excellent in my opinion and was one of the prime reasons I chose the camera. That said I don't know if the NEX-6 is an less up to the challenge. Don't have enough experience to make that judgment.

Focus peaking I think is better on the Sony's but we hope Fuji will make another firmware upgrade to enhance it.  Finally for me, having to remember how the control wheels worked in the different modes is what turned me of to the Sony NEX family. I like the real aperture ring on the lenses and the shutter speed dial.

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha 7R +33 more
mgn2
Like?
In reply to Clayton1985, 11 months ago

Clayton1985 wrote:

Shooting jpg and wanting fast primes is right in the Fuji X wheelhouse but I think it would help if you could provide a few more details. You say pocketability is important - are you ok with a larger zoom or are looking to go all primes and not replace your 16-50 zoom? Also, what prime focal lengths are you planning to use? And do you value the OSS in the Sony 35 (I don't think the Fuji prime will have this)?

I am ok not replacing the zoom. If I got the Fuji, I would go for the 14mm (or 18mm) and 35mm as 2 primes, and maybe the 27mm (although I have the X100 to cover that focal length). I don't value the OSS that much, its just nice to have I guess.

mgn2
Like?
In reply to Steve W, 11 months ago

Steve W wrote:

I have the X-E2 and looked at the NEX-6 when I bought my X-E1. The Fuji's now, with firmware upgrades support max ISO, min shutter speed, typical ISO configuration in AutoISO. Nice to have.

I personally think the Fast prime selection is excellent on the Fuji. I have both the 23mm and 35mm which are both f/1.4 (35 and 50mm equivalents). Of course you can get the Zeiss Touit 32mm for both the NEX and Fuji if you like that better. Not sure what focal length your most interested in. Also, happen to think the XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 is a great all around lens but you would have to have "big" pockets for that.

I currently have both and X-E2 and X-E1 so I leave the 18-55 on my X-E1 and use primes with my X-E2. You could also look at the pancake lens, the XF 27mm f/2.8. Very small and sharp. A 40mm equivalent. For me I like the ability to switch the lenses and pick the right one for the days plan. So I use the pancake on occasion or when I'm in town and just want something small. The medium zoom for walks in the woods and general flexibility and the primes for more serious work or when I know I will need the speed or the shallow DOF.

Low light performance I think is also excellent in my opinion and was one of the prime reasons I chose the camera. That said I don't know if the NEX-6 is an less up to the challenge. Don't have enough experience to make that judgment.

Focus peaking I think is better on the Sony's but we hope Fuji will make another firmware upgrade to enhance it. Finally for me, having to remember how the control wheels worked in the different modes is what turned me of to the Sony NEX family. I like the real aperture ring on the lenses and the shutter speed dial.

I think the Fuji with 2 primes (14mm and 35mm) wins hands down for me, except for the size and cost issue. How much larger will the Fuji + either prime be compared to my NEX + kit/prime? Will I able to fit the X-E2 + 14mm/35mm into a large-ish pocket?

Clayton1985
Like?

mgn2 wrote:

Clayton1985 wrote:

Shooting jpg and wanting fast primes is right in the Fuji X wheelhouse but I think it would help if you could provide a few more details. You say pocketability is important - are you ok with a larger zoom or are looking to go all primes and not replace your 16-50 zoom? Also, what prime focal lengths are you planning to use? And do you value the OSS in the Sony 35 (I don't think the Fuji prime will have this)?

I am ok not replacing the zoom. If I got the Fuji, I would go for the 14mm (or 18mm) and 35mm as 2 primes, and maybe the 27mm (although I have the X100 to cover that focal length). I don't value the OSS that much, its just nice to have I guess.

It sounds the X-E2 would be a good fit.  I would probably wait a few more weeks until the rumored new E mount and X mount cameras are announced unless you are in a hurry.

Clayton1985
Like?

mgn2 wrote:

Steve W wrote:

I have the X-E2 and looked at the NEX-6 when I bought my X-E1. The Fuji's now, with firmware upgrades support max ISO, min shutter speed, typical ISO configuration in AutoISO. Nice to have.

I currently have both and X-E2 and X-E1 so I leave the 18-55 on my X-E1 and use primes with my X-E2. You could also look at the pancake lens, the XF 27mm f/2.8. Very small and sharp. A 40mm equivalent. For me I like the ability to switch the lenses and pick the right one for the days plan. So I use the pancake on occasion or when I'm in town and just want something small. The medium zoom for walks in the woods and general flexibility and the primes for more serious work or when I know I will need the speed or the shallow DOF.

Focus peaking I think is better on the Sony's but we hope Fuji will make another firmware upgrade to enhance it. Finally for me, having to remember how the control wheels worked in the different modes is what turned me of to the Sony NEX family. I like the real aperture ring on the lenses and the shutter speed dial.

I think the Fuji with 2 primes (14mm and 35mm) wins hands down for me, except for the size and cost issue. How much larger will the Fuji + either prime be compared to my NEX + kit/prime? Will I able to fit the X-E2 + 14mm/35mm into a large-ish pocket?

The X-E2/35 will be bigger than your NEX 6/35 and the 14 is noticeably bigger than the 35.  I don't consider them pocketable in any way but some people might.   The NEX 6/16-50 is about as big as I would go if I planned to carry it in a pocket.

DVT80111
Senior MemberPosts: 1,446Gear list
Like?
I chose X-E1 over NEX-6

Very close call. I lose some faster AF, focus peaking and movie capability, but better IQ, user control, and low light are more important to me.

X-E2 will surely beat NEX-6 (as expected with higher price).

I am surprise Sony have not announced a replacement for NEX-6/7 yet.  Are they abandoned the NEX line and force people to go to the A7?

DVT80111's gear list:DVT80111's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 70D
Clayton1985
Like?
Re: I chose X-E1 over NEX-6
In reply to DVT80111, 11 months ago

DVT80111 wrote:

I am surprise Sony have not announced a replacement for NEX-6/7 yet. Are they abandoned the NEX line and force people to go to the A7?

The replacement is expected to be announced in the next few weeks.

Tckay
Regular MemberPosts: 477Gear list
Like?
Re: I chose X-E1 over NEX-6
In reply to Clayton1985, 11 months ago

I really like Sony NEX and SLT lines. Before now I had the nex 7, which was the best of the bunch imho.

Now I have the Fuji xpro1 and 35mm and the IQ blows me away. I wouldn't say better, but certainly different.

I feel the low light performance is superior and the AF speed at least on par, since the latest FW, with Sony NEX models. The XE 2 I read is better still. The FP on the Fuji isn't as good though.

I mostly take pics of my kids and have no complaints at all. Can't wait for the 56mm!

Tckay's gear list:Tckay's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
David McGaughey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,245
Like?
I wouldn't bother

mgn2 wrote:

Don't do it, unless you are really irked. Yes, the X-E2 is better for you. But it's only a little better. Not change-your-life better. It's rather expensive to flip between systems (though its lots of fun!).

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: I wouldn't bother
In reply to David McGaughey, 11 months ago

Please make sure you research and are aware of skin issues with X-e2 if you are a jpeg shooter. At 1600 iso and above there is an algorithm that softens skin and there is no way to disable this unless you shoot raw.

Regards.

mgn2
Like?

David McGaughey wrote:

mgn2 wrote:

Don't do it, unless you are really irked. Yes, the X-E2 is better for you. But it's only a little better. Not change-your-life better. It's rather expensive to flip between systems (though its lots of fun!).

The voice of reason! I am mildly irked perhaps but perhaps not enough to spend another $2k for a small improvement. I'm spoilt by the Fuji X100 form factor, but have a feeling I will be disappointed by the size of the Fuji X-E2 +14mm/35mm and might find myself not taking it everywhere with me. The way I see it, if you needs to carry a bag, you may as well get a small DSLR+fast prime, much cheaper, and far more versatile.

Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,891Gear list
Like?

David McGaughey wrote:

mgn2 wrote:

I just moved to Fuji so it wasn't an upgrade question for me.  IQ from the X-E1/2 is excellent.  I went with the X-E2 because I was moving from a DSLR and every bit of responsiveness helps.  The biggest draw for me was the way Fuji improved the X-E1 over time.  The X-E2 has a 2x faster processor so it will probably operate much differently a year from now.

I read about ISO 1600 and over being unusable for portraits with jpeg.  I usually only shoot raw but I took some photos at 1600 the other day and had no issue with the results.  The raws will definitely be better at high ISO.  I wouldn't usually shoot above 1600 for anything important, particularly with Fuji's fast primes.

Please excuse the horrible mixed lighting-illumination thanks to the plasma TV and Sponge Bob

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Sal Baker, 11 months ago

Sal Baker wrote:

David McGaughey wrote:

mgn2 wrote:

I just moved to Fuji so it wasn't an upgrade question for me. IQ from the X-E1/2 is excellent. I went with the X-E2 because I was moving from a DSLR and every bit of responsiveness helps. The biggest draw for me was the way Fuji improved the X-E1 over time. The X-E2 has a 2x faster processor so it will probably operate much differently a year from now.

I read about ISO 1600 and over being unusable for portraits with jpeg. I usually only shoot raw but I took some photos at 1600 the other day and had no issue with the results. The raws will definitely be better at high ISO. I wouldn't usually shoot above 1600 for anything important, particularly with Fuji's fast primes.

Please excuse the horrible mixed lighting-illumination thanks to the plasma TV and Sponge Bob

Quite right; on a snapshot of a child who by nature has smooth skin anyway, at web size, low resolution and ISO 1600 it's not that much of a problem. Lol.

OP - here is a better sample. It's pretty damn ugly way and can ruin portraits in low light situations so just be aware.

Why they haven't addressed it is beyond me, the Fuji's are SO good for SOOC Jpegs, they have killed that in the X-E2.

Human skin vs mannequin skin.

Chris Dodkin
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,117Gear list
Like?
In reply to stimpy, 11 months ago

I passed this image on to the Fuji rep, so hopefully they'll be working on it

-- hide signature --

http://f-sunny.com
The future is just a click away...

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Chris Dodkin, 11 months ago

Chris Dodkin wrote:

I passed this image on to the Fuji rep, so hopefully they'll be working on it

-- hide signature --

http://f-sunny.com
The future is just a click away...

Cheers Chris!

I've been in touch with Fuji Europe too; lets hope they give a firmwear option to disable it (or have it missing from the X-T1 )

madmaxmedia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,525
Like?

Is this excessive noise reduction in general, or does it manifest itself only/predominantly with skin?

Does reducing NR to lowest setting help?

From what I've read, the X20 compact has a similar problem with JPEG's, compared to the X10 which is much better. I hate excessive NR, and I shoot JPEG's most of the time.

stimpy wrote:

Quite right; on a snapshot of a child who by nature has smooth skin anyway, at web size, low resolution and ISO 1600 it's not that much of a problem. Lol.

OP - here is a better sample. It's pretty damn ugly way and can ruin portraits in low light situations so just be aware.

Why they haven't addressed it is beyond me, the Fuji's are SO good for SOOC Jpegs, they have killed that in the X-E2.

Human skin vs mannequin skin.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to madmaxmedia, 11 months ago

madmaxmedia wrote:

Is this excessive noise reduction in general, or does it manifest itself only/predominantly with skin?

From what I've read, the X20 compact has a similar problem with JPEG's, compared to the X10 which is much better. I hate excessive NR, and I shoot JPEG's most of the time.

Only skin.

NR for everything else is very good at all ISO ranges. NR -2 doesn't help, seems to work on the rest of the scene but not skin.

madmaxmedia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,525
Like?

stimpy wrote:

madmaxmedia wrote:

Only skin.

NR for everything else is very good at all ISO ranges. NR -2 doesn't help, seems to work on the rest of the scene but not skin.

Interesting, thanks! I assume Fuji is not specifically trying to smear skin in photos, so there is something in the X-E2 NR algorithm that is misbehaving when it comes to skin- maybe the engine misinterprets something in skin textures as noise? In the comparison photo you posted, the hair on the hand was blotched out by NR to.

Since the rest of the NR is okay, this is something that should be easily fixable with a firmware update (if chose to do so.)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads