Water droplets or Dust in picture ?

Started 11 months ago | Questions
bokke
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Water droplets or Dust in picture ?
11 months ago

Anyone able to help - see the attached picture. There are small "water droplet" markings on the picture (see top middle and also middle of beach)

They seem to be most noticeable at smaller apertures (f16 or higher)

I thought they may be dust - however I'd think dust would appear as black. Anyone have any thoughts / experiences to share.

Canon 5d mark ii

28-105mm canon lens

thanks

Patrick

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: Water droplets or Dust in picture ?
In reply to bokke, 11 months ago

bokke wrote:

Anyone able to help - see the attached picture. There are small "water droplet" markings on the picture (see top middle and also middle of beach)

I thought they may be dust - however I'd think dust would appear as black. Anyone have any thoughts / experiences to share.

Canon 5d mark ii

28-105mm canon lens

thanks

Patric

Hmm.. tricky to say.

In my experience, sensor dust is dark spots. Oil spots on the sensor were a dark dot in a 'normal' circle with a dark outter circle/outline, like a bulls eye.
Do you have this issue in other shots?

I don't know about canon, but on a Nikon DSLR I can rotate the lens a few degree's as though removing it and still take a shot.

If you can do this, fix a piece of blank white paper to the wall, put the camera on a tripod and take a shot at f16 (1). Next rotate the lens a few degree's and take another shot (2).
Now move the tripod an inch or so left or right. Again take a shot of the white paper as was done in shot 1 (3). Now take another shot in this new position, with the lens rotated a few degrees as was done in shot 2 (4).

The reasons for doing this?

Shot (1) To see if the 'marks' are also visible in the white paper image.

Shot (2) If the 'marks' have moved, then its a lens issue, not sensor. If the marks are in an identical place, its a sensor issue.

Shots (3) and (4) This is to make sure the marks your seeing are down to the camera/lens and not what are on the paper. If the marks in shot 3 are different to those of shot 1 then your seeing marks on the paper not the in the camera/lens.

...Its easier to do than it sounds

-- hide signature --
 Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hotdog321
Forum ProPosts: 10,757
Like?

Weird. First, I'd recreate the effect by taking a picture of a clear sky. Then I'd check the rear optics to see if there are goobers on there. Then take a look at the sensor. If you still can't find anything, it might be the front element or cruddy filter (doubtful) or some sort of internal junk in your lens.

bokke
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?

thanks for the suggestions - I'll try both and see what I can discover. I'll let you know.

Seems like an odd one eh ?

Dreemer
Regular MemberPosts: 238Gear list
Like?

bokke wrote:

Canon 5d mark ii

28-105mm canon lens

thanks

Patrick

These look like typical dust bunnies

The others look more like droplets than dust, one possibility is residue after a wet clean

Have you recently acquired the camera, was it bought new or has it had a previous owner.

SteveMi

Dreemer's gear list:Dreemer's gear list
Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Doss
Senior MemberPosts: 1,726
Like?
Condensation?
In reply to Dreemer, 11 months ago

Assuming you've not recently had your sensor wet-cleaned, my first thought is condensation.
Have you been taking the camera out from an AC room on a hot day? Or from a cold day into a warm room?

-- hide signature --
steephill
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,219
Like?
Liquid contamination

It may be from oil from the lens. A good wet clean should sort it out but I would look for the source of the trouble too. This thread on photo.net discusses the same problem.

-- hide signature --

Steve
www.pbase.com/steephill

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Have You Mount Your Lens on the Beach ?
Looks for me like Salt and Water on the Sensor.

Water + Salt is Corrosive, You should Clean the Sensor now.

Richard Weisgrau
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,184
Like?

I have had dust on a sensor enough times to say it does not look like what you have shown. There are two dust bunnies along the top edge of the photo maybe ⅕ of the way in from the left edge.

I have had oil on a sensor that came from the shutter curtain mechanism. It did not look like what you have shown. It looked had the same tonality as dust bunnies but was in larger blobs that were grouped close together and to one side of the frame.

The marks in your image are widespread and don't appear to be from a concentrated source close to the sensor like a shutter curtain. I'd guess the are from condensation or some water spray, but that is  just a guess. I don't think that oil from a lens is the cause unless maybe you have a defectively assembled lens. Even if so, It just doesn't look like oil marks.

My guess is that it water from condensation or spray entering the cavity when the lens was off. Of course, that is a guess pure and simple. You might just want oread up on sensor cleaning.

-- hide signature --

Richard Weisgrau
www.drawnwithlight.com
www.show-my-house.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads