What you do to avoid fog on lens in a humid conditions?

Started 8 months ago | Questions
nihon94
Regular MemberPosts: 304
Like?
What you do to avoid fog on lens in a humid conditions?
8 months ago

I have noticed when I enter "Green house"( in Japanese 温室. It is a place where temperature is high and there are some beautiful plants.) and when I take the lens cap off the camera lens become foggy. Some time I wait but some time I use lens cloth to get rid of fog quickly.;-)

But yesterday, there was a senior guy who told me that using shopping bag to keep camera inside and wait is best for the camera and lens.

I wonder if you guys could share your techniques what you do in situations like this?

Thanks in advance to all.:-)

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
sshoihet
Senior MemberPosts: 2,293Gear list
Like?
Re: What you do to avoid fog on lens in a humid conditions?
In reply to nihon94, 8 months ago

nihon94 wrote:

I have noticed when I enter "Green house"( in Japanese 温室. It is a place where temperature is high and there are some beautiful plants.) and when I take the lens cap off the camera lens become foggy. Some time I wait but some time I use lens cloth to get rid of fog quickly.;-)

But yesterday, there was a senior guy who told me that using shopping bag to keep camera inside and wait is best for the camera and lens.

I wonder if you guys could share your techniques what you do in situations like this?

I usually keep it in a bag until it warms up to the ambient temperature and I try to keep it away from air conditioning before going somewhere warm and humid.  Even if it is colder than the room when i take it out, i'll let it warm up a bit before using it; it won't usually be a problem if you don't zoom the lens and suck humid air into it.

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vlad S
Senior MemberPosts: 3,096Gear list
Like?
The senior guy was right

nihon94 wrote:

The only thing you need to do is to make sure that your camera is not colder than the air around it. The easiest way to do it is protect the camera from moisture, bring it inside, and wait until it warms up.

Vlad

Vlad S's gear list:Vlad S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Graham Meale
Senior MemberPosts: 1,021Gear list
Like?

Wait. Patience is a virtue.

It won't damage the lens unless it happens often.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?

nihon94 wrote:

When I have entered temperature/humidity extremes like a green house or air con, the first thing I do is open the top of the camera bag and carry on with walking around. This allows the camera to have a steadier transition before removing it to take the shot you want. As stated above, the longer the better, but this lid open techniques, means the camera has had a taste of the environment before it was removed from the bag. If i do have the time and i have entered a warmer environment i will just reach in and feel how cold the camera is before removing it. After a while of trial and error, you get to know what you can and can't get away with, just by how cold the camera feels..

-- hide signature --
 Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads