Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Rocky ID Olympian
Contributing MemberPosts: 635Gear list
Like?
Re: Some dramatic black and whites
In reply to Gompie, 11 months ago

Some really nice shots you have here!

Rocky ID Olympian's gear list:Rocky ID Olympian's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
enrique santa
Contributing MemberPosts: 734Gear list
Like?
Wonderfull images!!
-- hide signature --
 enrique santa's gear list:enrique santa's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
mazzuccato
Senior MemberPosts: 2,227Gear list
Like?

Beautiful work.

-- hide signature --

Stefano

mazzuccato's gear list:mazzuccato's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +3 more
Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,633
Like?

Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing.

Moti

-- hide signature --
Nkobile
Junior MemberPosts: 32Gear list
Like?

Some truly excellent photos in that set! The first 2 are really great.

Nkobile's gear list:Nkobile's gear list
Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
faith_ps
Senior MemberPosts: 1,102Gear list
Like?
Beautiful

Excellent series.

Jakop

-- hide signature --

The saxophone is a very interesting machine, but I'm more interested in music.
Steve Lacy quotes

faith_ps's gear list:faith_ps's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP3 Merrill Leica X Vario Olympus Stylus 1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +17 more
intruder61
Senior MemberPosts: 2,716Gear list
Like?

great set, very nice PP.

Jouko
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212
Like?
A very nice set of photos

and I find these tones well suited for the context - for me the brownish sepia gives a timeless feeling.

If you were after more dramatic appearance, I think a cooler, more neutral black tone would have been a better match. But the appearance would have been very much different.

PS. Have you tried the bw-conversion of Capture1? I do most of my stuff with it, only minimal (or sometimes quite aggressive) pp elsewhere (photoshop, ACDsee, some other programs). For me the C1 gives enough parameters to adjust the tonality within the grayscale and color - graytone match in the photo and in the outcome (like sepia-toning).

Jouko
'The best camera in the world is the one you have with you when you need it'
http://lehtokukka.smugmug.com/
http://jouko-lehto.artistwebsites.com/

Alex 13
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
Re: A very nice set of photos
In reply to Jouko, 11 months ago

Very nice; like others have said, the first two in particular are excellent.  The second is the standout for me.

-- hide signature --
tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,681Gear list
Like?
Re: Beautiful

The fourth is my favourite.

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Gompie
Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?
Re: A very nice set of photos
In reply to Jouko, 11 months ago

Jouko wrote:

and I find these tones well suited for the context - for me the brownish sepia gives a timeless feeling.

If you were after more dramatic appearance, I think a cooler, more neutral black tone would have been a better match. But the appearance would have been very much different.

PS. Have you tried the bw-conversion of Capture1? I do most of my stuff with it, only minimal (or sometimes quite aggressive) pp elsewhere (photoshop, ACDsee, some other programs). For me the C1 gives enough parameters to adjust the tonality within the grayscale and color - graytone match in the photo and in the outcome (like sepia-toning).

Jouko

Thanks Jouko,

Yes. I tried the b/w conversion within Capture1. Which is by the way my favorite raw convertor for Olympus. The b/w conversion is very flexible and useful.
I'm still learning Capture1. I just bought it a month ago after using it as a trial for a month.
NIK Silver Efex has a lot of presets which can give you a sense of direction on which you can experiment further and adjust them to your own taste. This gives you a good starting point.
Ruud

Gompie's gear list:Gompie's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
Gompie
Like?
Thank you all very much

Thank you,

That's the beauty of this forum. Negative and positive cc can be a great help for learning and expanding your photographic and PP skills. It makes you think and sometimes look different at your own work.

As long as people behave in a civilized manner it can give you much help.

Thank you all.

Ruud

Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
Harold66
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,543Gear list
Like?

Gompie wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

Hello Gompie

I think that the images would actually be a little bit stronger if you were to tone down a bit ( not remove it all , just reduce it) the sepia effect which is not suited to all the pics anyway

Just my opinion

Harold

-- hide signature --

www.haroldglit.com
www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit

Thanks Harold,

I'm going to give it a try. Could you please tell me which ones aren't suited for sepia?
Maybe a quick reply in a few words on when to use sepia and when not?
For example, people, landscape or photos with a lot of contrast or not.
Based on the subject or based on the type of photo.

Thanks!

Ruud

Hello Ruud

Thank you for the reply. First, I want to say that there is no " absolute rule " about when you to use sepia or not , or even how much toning should there be. It is ALWAYS the photographer choice

also keep in mind that people who are responding to this thread are viewing images on computer that may be calibrated differently so they do not necessarily see the same level of toning or contrast

Secondly if you were to present these images together ( like in a gallery for instance) you are better off having a consistent tone across the series even if individually some images in the series may not "need " the toning ( I hope I am being clear)

with all of that in mind I would give you my opinion. I think image EIGHT ( and also 5 to a lesser extent) is in a completely different mood than the others. It is a funny shot and a keeper but in my mind , not going with the others and not needing the sepia tone

and by the way , you have several good images ( 1, 2 , 4 , 6) but number one is my favorite

Harold

-- hide signature --

www.haroldglit.com

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 +16 more
ahmami
Senior MemberPosts: 1,463
Like?

Some very nice images, love the processing.

-- hide signature --
pede59
Contributing MemberPosts: 905Gear list
Like?

I like 2, 4, and 7.

What did you use for PP?

Gompie
Like?
In reply to pede59, 11 months ago

pede59 wrote:

I like 2, 4, and 7.

What did you use for PP?

Hello pede59,

I used Capture one Pro for converting the RAW files and then used a photoshop plugin called NIK silver Efex for the B/W conversion.
NIK has several presets which you can use as a good starting point.
From there it's all up to your own imagination.

Ruud

Gompie
Like?
In reply to Harold66, 11 months ago

Harold66 wrote:

Gompie wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

Hello Gompie

I think that the images would actually be a little bit stronger if you were to tone down a bit ( not remove it all , just reduce it) the sepia effect which is not suited to all the pics anyway

Just my opinion

Harold

-- hide signature --

www.haroldglit.com

Thanks Harold,

I'm going to give it a try. Could you please tell me which ones aren't suited for sepia?
Maybe a quick reply in a few words on when to use sepia and when not?
For example, people, landscape or photos with a lot of contrast or not.
Based on the subject or based on the type of photo.

Thanks!

Ruud

Hello Ruud

Thank you for the reply. First, I want to say that there is no " absolute rule " about when you to use sepia or not , or even how much toning should there be. It is ALWAYS the photographer choice

also keep in mind that people who are responding to this thread are viewing images on computer that may be calibrated differently so they do not necessarily see the same level of toning or contrast

Secondly if you were to present these images together ( like in a gallery for instance) you are better off having a consistent tone across the series even if individually some images in the series may not "need " the toning ( I hope I am being clear)

with all of that in mind I would give you my opinion. I think image EIGHT ( and also 5 to a lesser extent) is in a completely different mood than the others. It is a funny shot and a keeper but in my mind , not going with the others and not needing the sepia tone

and by the way , you have several good images ( 1, 2 , 4 , 6) but number one is my favorite

Harold

-- hide signature --

www.haroldglit.com

Thanks Harold,

Your explanation is very clear. I see what you mean about image 8.
Thank you.

Ruud

KTClown
Contributing MemberPosts: 864Gear list
Like?

Nice B&W shots. I need to do more of those.

Gary

Pueblo, CO

KTClown's gear list:KTClown's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN | Art
Jouko
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212
Like?
C1 presets

Have you noticed the presets of styles-tools? There are multiple bw-and other presets already. And you can always save your own, when you are satisfied with the result.

You can even save import presets for a camera type for whatever output you want - I have set Noise to low and clarity bit up for EM1. Usually no need to touch those settings afterwards.

PS. This does not mean, that forget NIK... More tools in the box is always a good thing.

-- hide signature --

Jouko

Sergey_Green
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,286Gear list
Like?
Did not like the title ..

Till I saw the pictures. And they are very good. The first two and the last frames are excellent. Thank you for sharing these.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Sergey_Green's gear list:Sergey_Green's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads