Canon 5D MKIII has a green cast/tint

Started 7 months ago | Questions
Rich Holland
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
Canon 5D MKIII has a green cast/tint
7 months ago

Quick background: Over the course of the year I have been shooting with 3 different 5D MKIII's. I have also been using the 5D MKII and a 550D.  I always shoot RAW and the subject-matter I photograph varies from building interiors to landscapes. I process all my images in LR5 - I recently upgraded from LR4.

I have found that the images produced by the 5D MKIIIs have a very distinct green cast when I increase their exposure during post processing. This cast also appears when I bump up the shadows. The images produced by this camera always seem to have a very subtle green cast, which doesn't really bother me because I can work it out in LR. However, the intensity of green magnifies significantly when I am dealing with an image that is underexposed - even if it's just a bit. The intensity of the green is very pronounced and impossible to get rid of unless I want to affect the entire image.

I have found this to be the case for every MKIII I have worked with and have never experienced this issue with any of the other previously mentioned cameras.  I don't claim to be a guru when it comes to colors and profiles, but I am thinking there may be a profile I can download that will resolve this?

I have found other 5D MKIII owners to experience this same problem, but have yet to locate a solution - if there is one. I am at a loss. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

For demonstration purposes, I have included two versions of the same underexposed image. One is the original and the other has had its exposure increased in LR5:

Original underexposed image

I bumped up the expose by 2.55 in LR5

Rich Holland's gear list:Rich Holland's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rich Holland
Like?
Re: Canon 5D MKIII has a green cast/tint
In reply to Rich Holland, 7 months ago

Ok, so since my initial post I decided to run a comparative test - because I realized that I don't always have this issue with the green tint.  I decided to shoot the same image twice - once as a RAW and the other a mRAW.  I found that the normal RAW image looked as it should and the mRAW has a distinct tint. I have uploaded each of the images.  I underexposed the image and then significantly increased the exposure in post.  Unless there is a way around the tint, I doubt I will ever shoot using mRAW again.

mRAW - look at that ugly tint.

RAW - a slight red tint but definitely more manageable than the green.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
marcio_napoli
Contributing MemberPosts: 787
Like?

That's new to me.

Every other camera when bumping up shadows, if it has to shift colors, it will always go towards redish / magenta cast.

Never seem anything like it!

-- hide signature --

Marcio Napoli

www.marcionapoli.com

bigfatron
Regular MemberPosts: 477Gear list
Like?

Rich Holland wrote:

Quick background: Over the course of the year I have been shooting with 3 different 5D MKIII's. I have also been using the 5D MKII and a 550D. I always shoot RAW and the subject-matter I photograph varies from building interiors to landscapes. I process all my images in LR5 - I recently upgraded from LR4.

I have found that the images produced by the 5D MKIIIs have a very distinct green cast when I increase their exposure during post processing. This cast also appears when I bump up the shadows. The images produced by this camera always seem to have a very subtle green cast, which doesn't really bother me because I can work it out in LR. However, the intensity of green magnifies significantly when I am dealing with an image that is underexposed - even if it's just a bit. The intensity of the green is very pronounced and impossible to get rid of unless I want to affect the entire image.

I have found this to be the case for every MKIII I have worked with and have never experienced this issue with any of the other previously mentioned cameras. I don't claim to be a guru when it comes to colors and profiles, but I am thinking there may be a profile I can download that will resolve this?

I have found other 5D MKIII owners to experience this same problem, but have yet to locate a solution - if there is one. I am at a loss. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

For demonstration purposes, I have included two versions of the same underexposed image. One is the original and the other has had its exposure increased in LR5:

Original underexposed image

I bumped up the expose by 2.55 in LR5

What happens if you readjust the white balance? And +2.55 is a hell of an adjustment if you're doing it on anything like a regular basis.

Very unusual though, I have to admit.  Have you tried doing a similar adjustment in CPP (or another RAW editor) to see if its software-specific or definitely the file itself?

bigfatron's gear list:bigfatron's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,414
Like?
Issue with

That's an issue with LR5 not reading the mRAW format correctly. Try another Raw convertor (DPP) and check the results.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Rich Holland
Like?
Re: Issue with
In reply to Mako2011, 7 months ago

Thank you!  I found that normal RAW is issue free, but I definitely want to be able to shoot confidently with mRAW when I need/want to.  I'm going to check it out in DPP now.

Rich Holland
Like?
In reply to bigfatron, 7 months ago

White balance can minimize the green, but it won't remove it.  On top of that, all the other colors get wonky in the process.  Fortunately, I found this to only be an error with mRAW, RAW works fine - so I am happy to have a viable alternative.

I normally would underexpose an image like this on purpose with the goal of recovering lost data, I just wanted to show the intensity of the green.  And wow, is it intense!

Rob
Rob
Regular MemberPosts: 122
Like?

I got a message from Rich about this, since I posted a thread about this exact same problem back in 2012: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3212799

I have tried other RAW converters such as DPP and ACR, and that green cast is there baked into the RAW file.

It's been a while since I have seen this problem in my photos, and I can't remember when it stopped showing up. I went back and combed through my photos, and the last time the problem showed up clearly was around April of last year, and since then I haven't really seen it all that much. I'm 100% sure it was before I switched to full sized RAW from mRAW because I checked the dates of photos, so it might not have anything to do with mRAW. Maybe Canon quietly fixed it in the last firmware update? Or maybe it was a very specific setting that caused it, but I've unknowingly stopped using that setting?

-- hide signature --

Rob
Art, music, photography, writings, and blog:
www.ethereality.info

Marx81
Regular MemberPosts: 416Gear list
Like?

I shot 5d3 in RAW and use DPP and never saw something like that .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marxx/

Marx81's gear list:Marx81's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +3 more
lemming2008
Regular MemberPosts: 407Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rob, 7 months ago

I shoot lots of low light environments using my 5d3, have never seen this behavior. I shoot RAW and use CS6, have never updated the firmware. I'd guess it is more likely to be something about the mRAW and/or LR5 workflow.

lemming2008's gear list:lemming2008's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads