Started 8 months ago | Discussions
miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,851
Like?
APS-C Leica T type 701 to be announced in April
8 months ago

Are we excited yet?

Reports Mirrorless Rumors:

The name "Leica T type 701" was registered in Taiwan. This is likely a new interchangeable and mirrorless system. According to ... the camera will be launched in April and will feature an APS-C sensor.

As far as we know the prime lenses will be made by Leica in Germany. The camera body and the zooms will be made by Panasonic (and sold with Leica name).

LeicaBOSS
Regular MemberPosts: 430Gear list
Like?
Re: APS-C Leica T type 701 to be announced in April
In reply to miro3, 8 months ago

Day late. Dollar short. I guess the quality will be very good, and this is VERY exciting... but it sure feels like Leica R.

Others have a huge head start, very high quality systems, and will be probably about 30% the price.

-- hide signature --

From time to time, I point my camera at the right things. This is generally when I forget everything I've learned.

LeicaBOSS's gear list:LeicaBOSS's gear list
Leica M9 Sony SLT-A77 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
borgein
Regular MemberPosts: 459Gear list
Like?
In reply to LeicaBOSS, 8 months ago

APS-C sensor.

Why oh why? When everyone else seems to be transitioning more and more FROM APS-C to FF Leica does the opposite. Great. Makes sense. Not. A little late maybe?

I'm sure this system won't have a chance against the Fuji X system for example. Both in regards to quality, cost and especially support!

Kaufmann needs to wake up and stop trying to play around with everything and rather focus fully on what Leica actually get's some income from: The M-system.

-- hide signature --
 borgein's gear list:borgein's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +4 more
meagre offerings
Senior MemberPosts: 3,820Gear list
Like?

I wonder if this would be the camera that Louis has been waiting for if it comes to fruition.

Best

Pc
--
http://www.pbase.com/meagre_offerings/street_photography

also ex secretary/treasurer and only member of the `lesser leica owners club`.

meagre offerings's gear list:meagre offerings's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Carbon111
Contributing MemberPosts: 533Gear list
Like?
In reply to borgein, 8 months ago

borgein wrote:

Why oh why? When everyone else seems to be transitioning more and more FROM APS-C to FF Leica does the opposite.

Probably not a "transition" so much as a second tier.
Their full frame M and medium format S will always be their flagship products.
Personally, I think an APS-C Leica with changeable lenses sounds like fun.

-- hide signature --
 Carbon111's gear list:Carbon111's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7 Leica Summarit-M 35mm f/2.5 Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summarit-M 75mm f/2.5 +10 more
bosjohn
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,890
Like?

how cool is this I can hardly wait but don't hold your breath on it being an M mount

-- hide signature --

bosjohn aka John Shick bosjohn@yahoo.com

Daedalus2000
Senior MemberPosts: 4,173
Like?
In reply to borgein, 8 months ago

borgein wrote:

APS-C sensor.

Why oh why? When everyone else seems to be transitioning more and more FROM APS-C to FF Leica does the opposite. Great. Makes sense. Not. A little late maybe?

I disagree a bit. I have found that a good APS-C sensor achieves a good balance between cost, image quality and camera size. I think micro 4/3 sensors can be a bit noisy, and full frame is of course better but creates more cost and increase size of camera body and lenses. For example, look at the Ricoh GR vs Sony RX1 for a relative.

I'm sure this system won't have a chance against the Fuji X system for example. Both in regards to quality, cost and especially support!

Big assumptions here. I like the fujifilms but I think Leica files can be easier to work with and hopefully lenses can be better.

Kaufmann needs to wake up and stop trying to play around with everything and rather focus fully on what Leica actually get's some income from: The M-system.

Well, Kaufmann has taken a company from the brink of collapse to a good profitable state, so I do not think you can so easily dismiss him. You may not agree with his actions, but to say to a successful person that they need to "wake up" is a bit too much... I think most of us would love to be half as successful as his is.

Best, D

Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,189
Like?
In reply to bosjohn, 8 months ago

bosjohn wrote:

how cool is this I can hardly wait but don't hold your breath on it being an M mount

-- hide signature --

bosjohn aka John Shick bosjohn@yahoo.com

An apsc system makes little sense, and one that uses a different mount makes even less. I can't imagine leica has the the enthusiasm and resources to roll out an entire new mount and lens set by this april (if ever).

Leaving the lens off a vario would make for a relatively simple platform that wouldn't stretch them too far…but they still aren't even able to meet demand for existing lines…

Hoping for the best, but this is definitely a bit of a noodle-scratcher.

JDLaing
Senior MemberPosts: 1,728Gear list
Like?
In reply to Toccata47, 8 months ago

If I had a product and there was a line waiting to purchase it I would be very happy.

So would every other manufacturer. It's not a bad thing.

JDLaing's gear list:JDLaing's gear list
Leica M8.2 Leica M9-P Leica M Typ 240 Leica Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +8 more
imsilly
Regular MemberPosts: 174Gear list
Like?
In reply to JDLaing, 8 months ago

APS-C sensors are fine in themselves, what's bad about them is they screw with your focal lengths.

I suspect that any camera would have to have an M adapter to warrant buying, if it wasn't already a M mount.

I also worry about Leica lagging behind the competition in terms of AI, sensor and autofocus. Design and build quality seems high with Leica, but the actual performance isn't great. So I would be surprised if this camera outperformed either Sony A7s, Fuji Xs or new APS-C DSLRs.

Now the Ricoh GXR and it's A12 mount have been discontinued, there could be room for a APS-C M mount compact mirrorless. I worry thought that this camera might not even be as good as the Ricoh GXR.

There is already the fixed lens Leica X series and the slow Leica Vario X. A new camera in the middle with only interchangeable lenses, but same bad performance would be useless to most photographers.

miro3
Like?
In reply to meagre offerings, 8 months ago

meagre offerings wrote:

I wonder if this would be the camera that Louis has been waiting for if it comes to fruition.

Best

Pc
--
http://www.pbase.com/meagre_offerings/street_photography

also ex secretary/treasurer and only member of the `lesser leica owners club`.

yes, it must be

Joe Pineapples
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?
On April 1st? (n/t)

Joe

Joe Pineapples's gear list:Joe Pineapples's gear list
Ricoh GR
miro3
Like?
Re: On April 1st? (n/t)
In reply to Joe Pineapples, 8 months ago

Joe Pineapples wrote:

Joe

Sounds right!

drkgrrts
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
In reply to imsilly, 8 months ago

imsilly wrote:

Now the Ricoh GXR and it's A12 mount have been discontinued, there could be room for a APS-C M mount compact mirrorless.

Exactly. But to convince photographers who might otherwise go for a GXR (or existing users who would want to upgrade from the GXR), the Leica T type 701 will have to compete with the Sony A7/R, which is getting a whole lot of attention from Leica-M users. Can the Leica T do that without going full-frame?

drkgrrts's gear list:drkgrrts's gear list
Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR GR Lens A12 28mm F2.5 Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 4/18 ZM Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/25 ZM +2 more
maxnoy
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?

Panasonic bit sounds suspect, they make nothing APS-C and never have. Nevertheless, an interchangeable X is plausible. Though investing in new APS-C electronically-coupled Leica lenses sounds like a stretch even to me. Unlike M, if they doesn't get traction, you'll be stuck with some undoubtedly premium-priced stuff that you won't be able to use on anything else ever.

PLAMBERT
New MemberPosts: 19Gear list
Like?
In reply to maxnoy, 8 months ago

What happened to the Leica M8? They change hands for £1000 to £1500. Uses Leica M lenses etc!

Why design a new APS-C?

-- hide signature --

phil

Daedalus2000
Senior MemberPosts: 4,173
Like?
In reply to PLAMBERT, 8 months ago

PLAMBERT wrote:

What happened to the Leica M8? They change hands for £1000 to £1500. Uses Leica M lenses etc!

Why design a new APS-C?

-- hide signature --

phil

Good point, a new M8 with improved electronics and sensor (oh no the CMOS vs CCD discussion will start again!) will be a good option and people can then transition to the FF camera at a later stage without needing to get new lenses.

By the way the M8 is not APS-C, but APS-H (slightly larger with multiplier 1.33)

Best, D

JDLaing
Senior MemberPosts: 1,728Gear list
Like?
In reply to Daedalus2000, 8 months ago

Or learn a new body style.....

JDLaing's gear list:JDLaing's gear list
Leica M8.2 Leica M9-P Leica M Typ 240 Leica Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +8 more
Archiver
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,254
Like?
In reply to maxnoy, 8 months ago

maxnoy wrote:

Panasonic bit sounds suspect, they make nothing APS-C and never have. Nevertheless, an interchangeable X is plausible. Though investing in new APS-C electronically-coupled Leica lenses sounds like a stretch even to me. Unlike M, if they doesn't get traction, you'll be stuck with some undoubtedly premium-priced stuff that you won't be able to use on anything else ever.

One possibility is the new aps-c sensor to be used in the upcoming 4K Panasonic Varicam, or a variant thereof. A continuation of Panasonic's professional Varicam video camera series, this will have a Super-35 (aps-c approx) size sensor.

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/09/panasonic-4k-varicam-120fps/

As much as I would want Leica to stick with sensor larger than aps-c, a Leica branded m43 Panasonic, or a Leica-designed m43 camera built by Panasonic, could make some sense.  There is an existing line of Leica branded Panasonic lenses for m43, and new lenses are being announced on a fairly regular basis.  The new f1.2 Nocticron and f1.7 Summilux are part of that.  They could redesign the Pana Leica 25mm to have an aperture ring, perhaps OIS, and it will be in keeping with these new lenses.  Add a very high quality wide, like a 12mm f1.4, perhaps, maybe even a 10.5mm f1.4, and a Pana/Leica lens line could have a really good foundation.

Having said all of that, I would prefer Leica to stick with their core competencies, which revolve around the M system and lens design.  An ILC from Leica is going to have to compete with every other aps-c and m43 system out there, and if the X series is any indication, the Leica system will be three times as much and offer features and operational performance two or three years behind the competition.  Most likely, image quality will be tops, handling will be great if you enjoy Leica M handling, but in 2015 it would probably feel like a camera from 2011 or worse.

-- hide signature --

Archiver - Loving Every Image Captured Always
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archiver/

user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,730Gear list
Like?
In reply to Daedalus2000, 8 months ago

Daedalus2000 wrote:

PLAMBERT wrote:

Why design a new APS-C?

-- hide signature --

phil

Good point, a new M8 with improved electronics and sensor (oh no the CMOS vs CCD discussion will start again!) will be a good option and people can then transition to the FF camera at a later stage without needing to get new lenses.

By the way the M8 is not APS-C, but APS-H (slightly larger with multiplier 1.33)

Best, D

That might be an excellent way to open the market up for new M shooters with an entry level M body.

Priced at about $2500 to $3000 and the ability to add the EVF for those that have less than 20/20 vision and a 12 to 16mp sensor would rock.

As long as they kept the camera simple, not load it up with too many features, and perform those features well it would have wide appeal for both new shooters to the M system and those wanting a second camera.

Using an APS sensor may seen to be a downer for some, but it might not be a bad marketing move to distinguish the baby M from its full-frame cousins and encourage a migration path upward.

Throw in a budget 28mm or 35mm starter lens as part of the line and I think it would work.

Unfortunately, I doubt the 701 will be that camera.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads