Why did you go with the Fuji XE/XPro-1 ILC

Started 7 months ago | Polls
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,076Gear list
Like?
Why did you go with the Fuji XE/XPro-1 ILC
7 months ago

After some debate elsewhere I wondered what made youg guys go for the Fuji series. I can come up with quite a few, but leave it up to you. Thanks for responding!

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
POLL
Size and weight issues with my former DSLR, which I ditched in favour of this system.
38.8% 26  votes
As a companion to my DSLR at first, but that DSLR started to gather dust quickly and I sold it.
16.4% 11  votes
It is still a companion to my DSLR.
20.9% 14  votes
I don't care about size and weight, so it was something else!
13.4% 9  votes
I moved up from another camerasystem than a DSLR.
10.4% 7  votes
  Show results
Fabrice Lamidey
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
Re: Why did you go with the Fuji XE/XPro-1 ILC
In reply to Jorginho, 7 months ago

For me, high iso image quality, small form factor. Went to X100S first, but missed too much the interchangeable lenses, so went up to X-Pro1.

Not changing anytime soon.

Fabrice Lamidey's gear list:Fabrice Lamidey's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
justinwonnacott
Regular MemberPosts: 498
Like?
In reply to Fabrice Lamidey, 7 months ago

Discreet small package with high quality and prime lenses for a specific task.

luckyvic
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?

It was the X100 that did it for me; the hybrid viewfinder and the classic style. What I didn't expect was the amazing jpeg files that came out of it. So when x-pro1 came out, I ordered the initial three lenses and was blown away by the quality of the lenses. Then the x-e1, x100s and x-e2 and all the zooms and primes. My Nikon D800 and D600 aren't being used much now.

-- hide signature --

I have more gear than talent

luckyvic's gear list:luckyvic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Olympus Tough TG-2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +32 more
Birddogman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,086Gear list
Like?

I guess none of the above because I didn't "ditch" my DSLR equipment - tho' is isn't used much these days.

I needed a camera for the field that had more capabilities (interchangeable lenses, burst mode, optical viewfinder) and better IQ than the Leica P&S I was using, but it had to be a good bit smaller and lighter than my DSLR.  When I looked at the Fuji, I found it met those criteria AND it had analog controls AND it looked cool - like one of the old Leica rangefinders I learned on years ago.  Wow!  Those were the main reasons I bought my first Fuji - one of the first the XP-1's and the prime lenses that were all you could get back then.

After I had the camera, I discovered that the IQ was stunning - every bit as good and maybe better than my DSLR.  I was even happier!!  When I discovered the painfully slow autofocus operation on fast moving subjects (i.e. dogs and birds), I was less happy, but I've learned to mostly work around that.  I've also been very pleased with the superb quality of the zoom lenses (18-55mm and 55-200mm).

Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
Jorginho
Like?
In reply to Birddogman, 7 months ago

I should have made the choice more flexible by adding "and rarely use it/sold it". IIt is not exactlyt he same, but it is an indication how much the Fuji is liked by the user. So to me, your reply belongs in the category of one who afterwards found the DSLR was not to his/her liking anymore.

Thanks for replying!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Patrick T. Kelly
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,058Gear list
Like?

1. A corporate presence in Mexico so I could get repairs if needed.

2. APS-C sensor

3. Lighter weight and smaller size than the DSLRs I've been using for ten years.

4. An OVF or EVF but no viewfinder was not acceptable.

Honestly, since I got my XE-1 I have found other reasons to like the camera. One is that with focus peaking I can manually focus even with my old eyes.

Patrick T. Kelly
Oaxaca, Mexico

HDR junkie
Forum MemberPosts: 82Gear list
Like?

I waited for a camera with decent censor, without mirror and with EVF. When Fuji presented X-E1 I realized that it was the camera I've been waiting for 5 years
Mats

HDR junkie's gear list:HDR junkie's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
LincolnB
Senior MemberPosts: 3,670Gear list
Like?

Jorginho wrote:

After some debate elsewhere I wondered what made youg guys go for the Fuji series. I can come up with quite a few, but leave it up to you. Thanks for responding!

I got the XE-1 very recently. I wanted something with better high ISO performance than my Micro Four Thirds gear. On some action shots and low-light shots the Panasonic simply couldn't do it, even with fairly fast lenses. The Fuji allows me to use all of the legacy Nikon lenses I'd been using on my M4/3.

As a bonus, the Fuji seems to have extra dynamic range in the RAW files over the Panasonic. I've been able to push ETTR exposures much harder without blowing highlights and to recover underexposed shots without as much problems with shadow noise.

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
dual12
Regular MemberPosts: 265
Like?

None of the above.  Most of those choices don't even apply to the question of why Fuji X.

I bought it because it is one of two cameras with the best APS-C image quality (Pentax and Fuji) and it has a body with good functionality, especially on a tripod.  It also has great lenses and a great 18-55 zoom.  I already own and continue to use Pentax.

Jorginho
Like?
In reply to LincolnB, 7 months ago

LincolnB wrote:

Jorginho wrote:

I got the XE-1 very recently. I wanted something with better high ISO performance than my Micro Four Thirds gear. On some action shots and low-light shots the Panasonic simply couldn't do it, even with fairly fast lenses. The Fuji allows me to use all of the legacy Nikon lenses I'd been using on my M4/3.

As a bonus, the Fuji seems to have extra dynamic range in the RAW files over the Panasonic. I've been able to push ETTR exposures much harder without blowing highlights and to recover underexposed shots without as much problems with shadow noise.

Depends on a bit on which Panny you used, but I got an EPL5 for the very same reasons: dynamic range especially was a notable step up over my GH2. But I noted colour depth, tonailyt etc were all clearly better and I am talking RAWs here. I think the new Panasonic sensors have clearly moved up (finally) but to my mind, they are late with that. It is not unlikely a new APS_c sensor will be developped soon by Sony and they are back to square 1 again.

Otoh: it seems Panny and Fuji are now developpong new sensors together, so one they we essentially will have the same sensors in our cam. One APS-c size, the other 4/3 size. If they do it well, I am not complaining! Thanks for responding BTW!

John Carson
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,045Gear list
Like?

1. Best IQ below full frame.
2. Smaller form factor than a DSLR.
3. High quality kit lens zoom.
4. Promise of significant sensor improvements in future.
--
john carson

John Carson's gear list:John Carson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
shigzeo ?
Senior MemberPosts: 1,219Gear list
Like?

I'll be honest, it mainly was looks. I also liked the idea of being able to see my exposure settings without having to look through the EVF, which is tiring. I realised this when I switched from D800 to Sony a7r. No setting can be determined when looking down on the camera when it is off, or in EVF mode. So very annoying.

shigzeo ?'s gear list:shigzeo ?'s gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
David Lawson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,752Gear list
Like?
The size and lenses

Both at reasonable prices

david

David Lawson's gear list:David Lawson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
Zalan
Contributing MemberPosts: 860Gear list
Like?
Best compromise

I think the Fuji system is the best compromise between size, performance and price. Also Fuji produces lenses exactly the way I would want them.

I had Nikon DSLR system (D300 and lenses), but it was huge and heavy. Also Nikon goes more into FF, which is bigger and more expensive than the DX line, completely the opposite where I would want to go.

So I think the Fuji system is a great standalone system for me. No regrets in switching

-- hide signature --

Zalan Szabo
www.szabozalan.hu

Zalan's gear list:Zalan's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P5000 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
Birddogman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,086Gear list
Like?

A DSLR has always been too big, heavy and awkward for me to both carry safely and out of the way in the field AND get into action quickly. When managing super-athletic dogs, carrying all the stuff needed to sustain man and dogs in the field for extended periods, pushing through miles of heavy cover and rough terrain and trying to gun, dealing with a DSLR is just too much. That said, a DSLR can do things that my Fuji still cannot - especially under difficult photographic conditions - so, I still have mine and use it when I: (a) need those capabilities; and (b) am able to carry the thing. Each of those circumstances are rare individually, combined they are very rare - so, the Fuji is used 99% of the time. But, the DSLR system still can be useful in those narrow circumstances and it doesn't eat anything sitting in the closet, so I would not "ditch" it, sell it, etc.

If and when Fuji develops a camera body with the sort of fast autofocus provided by a high quality DSLR, then I will happily "ditch" the DSLR.  That hasn't happened yet.

Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
Jorginho
Like?
Re: Best compromise
In reply to Zalan, 7 months ago

Well I did notice many many people love their Fuji X-series cam. They look very nice too. Still it seems size and weight are less important to Fuji users than I expected.

Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?

I had been looking at mirrorless cameras for a long time... then the X100 came out, and I jumped on it, due to it's ergonomics. Fell in love with it, decided to go with the X-Pro1 and XF system and the rest is history.

I very much prefer the dials/manual type controls of the Fuji system over the buttons/menus of other cameras.

Reality is though, MFT/NEX/FujiX all do fine jobs, it mostly comes down to handling preferences.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Identity
Contributing MemberPosts: 954
Like?
In reply to John Carson, 7 months ago

John Carson wrote:

1. Best IQ below full frame.
2. Smaller form factor than a DSLR.
3. High quality kit lens zoom.
4. Promise of significant sensor improvements in future.
--
john carson

Exactly the same for me, with the addition of

5. I love the retro controls and styling

John Gellings
Regular MemberPosts: 390
Like?

It was a cheaper alternative than the Leica M9 I was using...and it offered more versatility with close foucs and high ISO.  I was using the X100 for a year, so I knew Fuji was good.  However, the X-Pro1 just blew me away.  It's been almost two year since I started using it and it is still my favorite.  I also own the X-E1, X100s, and Ricoh GR.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads