Tamron 150-600 mm f5.63

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Don Richardson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,443Gear list
Like?
Tamron 150-600 mm f5.63
8 months ago

I've been watching and haven't found any mention of this new lens. Why?

It's very impressive in all the reviews http://www.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.trinitylumberton.org%2Fcategory29%2F&sandbox=1

Every review I've read has been good. Course, it probably won't match Canon's $12,000.00 lens on AF and IQ but it looks like a prize to me.

I've personally pre-ordered mine from B&H and it should start shipping Jan 17th.

-- hide signature --
 Don Richardson's gear list:Don Richardson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Epson Artisan 835 +1 more
Setter Dog
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,772
Like?
Re: Tamron 150-600 mm f5.63
In reply to Don Richardson, 8 months ago

Don,....I agree that the Tamron 150-600mm looks like a winner. I haven't ordered mine yet since I really don't need it until May when I go to the National Parks. I'm sure I'll buy it just as soon as I read some good user reports from forum members like you. Enjoy the lens and let us know what you think.

Jack

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
vlab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,413Gear list
Like?

Looks very impressive! Would like to see comparision at 400mm between this beast and 100-400.

vlab's gear list:vlab's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
SeaScout851
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,558
Like?

Here are two threads that have been fairly active in the Canon SLR Lens section.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52842688

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52849968

It does look VERY interesting.

Andy

happysnapper64
Senior MemberPosts: 4,213Gear list
Like?

There have been a number of threads on this lens, look in the 3rd Party Lens Talk Forum. My only hope is that the price in the UK is as reasonable as the expected price in USA [$1,069=£800 approx] That will tip it for me for sure.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.
"I'm so fast, when I turn off the light, i'm in bed before the room gets dark" The great Muhammad Ali.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +8 more
golfgti2012
Regular MemberPosts: 102Gear list
Like?
In reply to happysnapper64, 8 months ago

canon 500mm + 1.4 is the winner. thanks and will collect money for these combo

golfgti2012's gear list:golfgti2012's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM
altair8800
Senior MemberPosts: 1,307
Like?
In reply to golfgti2012, 8 months ago

golfgti2012 wrote:

canon 500mm + 1.4 is the winner. thanks and will collect money for these combo

Probably better, but weighs twice as much. For 150mm you could put on the 0.3x TC.

Don Richardson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,443Gear list
Like?
In reply to happysnapper64, 8 months ago

happysnapper64 wrote:

There have been a number of threads on this lens, look in the 3rd Party Lens Talk Forum. My only hope is that the price in the UK is as reasonable as the expected price in USA [$1,069=£800 approx] That will tip it for me for sure.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.
"I'm so fast, when I turn off the light, i'm in bed before the room gets dark" The great Muhammad Ali.

I hope the price holds for you also. You haven't had any price guidance over there? Sometimes I see the prices you have to pay and gasp. Something about that I don't understand. I'm anxously waiting for my lens to be delivered. All I have to worry about is when B&H gets their shipment and where I am on the list.

-- hide signature --
 Don Richardson's gear list:Don Richardson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Epson Artisan 835 +1 more
BillsLIPhotos
Contributing MemberPosts: 662
Like?

I'm really interested in this lens but since I recently upgraded to the 70D it'll be a while before I can swing it which will give me plenty of time to read reviews and see user feedback. The only downside to me is that I don't think it will be as hand holdable as my 100-400 but I wouldn't really expect that for 600mm. Unfortunately it means I won't sell my 100-400 to cover the cost...

TimR32225
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,058Gear list
Like?
In reply to BillsLIPhotos, 8 months ago

BillsLIPhotos wrote:

I'm really interested in this lens but since I recently upgraded to the 70D it'll be a while before I can swing it which will give me plenty of time to read reviews and see user feedback. The only downside to me is that I don't think it will be as hand holdable as my 100-400 but I wouldn't really expect that for 600mm. Unfortunately it means I won't sell my 100-400 to cover the cost...

Downside?

Since it's an f6.3 lens, I suppose you will have center focus point only with most cameras. My experience with zoom lenses is they reach the slowest aperture long before they reach the longest focal length.

-- hide signature --
 TimR32225's gear list:TimR32225's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +11 more
WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,689Gear list
Like?
In reply to TimR32225, 8 months ago

TimR32225 wrote:

Downside?

Since it's an f6.3 lens, I suppose you will have center focus point only with most cameras.

That's not my experience with models with 9 AF points, e.g. the 60D with a Kenko 1.4 TC and 400/5.6 or 70-300L - the outer points are the reliable whereas the centre isn't.

My experience with zoom lenses is they reach the slowest aperture long before they reach the longest focal length.

Yeah. Any longer and the max. aperture would be smaller. 

altair8800
Senior MemberPosts: 1,307
Like?
In reply to WilbaW, 8 months ago

WilbaW wrote:

TimR32225 wrote:

Downside?

Since it's an f6.3 lens, I suppose you will have center focus point only with most cameras.

That's not my experience with models with 9 AF points, e.g. the 60D with a Kenko 1.4 TC and 400/5.6 or 70-300L - the outer points are the reliable whereas the centre isn't.

And I think it will be like the Sigma 50-500 which allows AF on Canons at f6.3, including center.

My experience with zoom lenses is they reach the slowest aperture long before they reach the longest focal length.

TimR32225
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,058Gear list
Like?
Not so sure - here's my logic...

WilbaW wrote:

TimR32225 wrote:

Downside?

On the focus points, I'm not sure you are correct (here's why)

If you are using an f5.6 lens and a non-reporting 3rd party extender such as the Kenko you mention, you are fooling the camera into thinking the aperture is still f5.6, when it's effectively one stop slower.  But the camera doesn't know any better and still tries to autofocus since it reads the aperture at f5.6.

But using a lens such as the one being discussed, the aperture is already f6.3 without any extender.  In that case, I wonder if the Canon body will only give you center print focus, or perhaps you would lose auto-focus all together unless you are in live mode or you are shooting a 1-series body or a 5D mk2 (which autofocus up to f8 with latest firmware).

With an APS-C sensor camera such as the 7d or 50d - 60d - 70d series, I'm pretty sure they still only autofocus to f5.6 max aperture (unless you fool them with a non-reporting TC, or tape the pins, or shoot in live mode).

I know my 1DX gives me 5 AF points at f8, and my 1DMk4 gives me center point only AF @f8, but my 7d is manual focus with f8 combos unless it's in live mode.   Correct me if I'm missing something.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --
 TimR32225's gear list:TimR32225's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +11 more
happysnapper64
Senior MemberPosts: 4,213Gear list
Like?

Don Richardson wrote:

happysnapper64 wrote:

There have been a number of threads on this lens, look in the 3rd Party Lens Talk Forum. My only hope is that the price in the UK is as reasonable as the expected price in USA [$1,069=£800 approx] That will tip it for me for sure.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.

I hope the price holds for you also. You haven't had any price guidance over there? Sometimes I see the prices you have to pay and gasp. Something about that I don't understand. I'm anxously waiting for my lens to be delivered. All I have to worry about is when B&H gets their shipment and where I am on the list.

-- hide signature --

I think you would do more than gasp if you had to pay $11 for a gallon of petrol!!:-(

-- hide signature --

lee uk.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +8 more
BillsLIPhotos
Contributing MemberPosts: 662
Like?
Re: Not so sure - here's my logic...

I think it will behave like a 5.6 lens with the exception of needed a little longer shutter. That said it will be interesting to see how well it can auto-focus when the light levels begin to drop.

WilbaW
Like?

TimR32225 wrote:

WilbaW wrote:

TimR32225 wrote:

On the focus points, I'm not sure you are correct (here's why)

If you are using an f5.6 lens and a non-reporting 3rd party extender such as the Kenko you mention, you are fooling the camera into thinking the aperture is still f5.6, when it's effectively one stop slower. But the camera doesn't know any better and still tries to autofocus since it reads the aperture at f5.6.

And under those adverse conditions, my experience with those cameras and lenses is the centre standard precision (f/5.6) AF point often fails whereas the outer points don't.

But using a lens such as the one being discussed, the aperture is already f6.3 without any extender.

So any weakness in the centre AF point will be 1/3 of a step worse.

In that case, I wonder if the Canon body will only give you center print focus,

Why do you think the body would make a decision to use a less reliable AF point when it believes it's seeing the world through a f/5.6 lens?

or perhaps you would lose auto-focus all together unless you are in live mode or you are shooting a 1-series body or a 5D mk2 (which autofocus up to f8 with latest firmware).

I don't see how a lens faking f/5.6 to a TC and the TC faking f/5.6 to the camera might give the camera the impression that it's looking at the world through a lens tighter than f/5.6, but we won't know until we try it whether there is some kind of anomaly.

With an APS-C sensor camera such as the 7d or 50d - 60d - 70d series, I'm pretty sure they still only autofocus to f5.6 max aperture (unless you fool them with a non-reporting TC, or tape the pins, or shoot in live mode).

That's how I understand it, though it seems Kenko have been very clever because the right aperture appears on the camera displays and in the EXIF, but the AF doesn't get shut down.

hires
Regular MemberPosts: 414
Like?

I know my 1DX gives me 5 AF points at f8, and my 1DMk4 gives me center point only AF @f8, but my 7d is manual focus with f8 combos unless it's in live mode. Correct me if I'm missing something.

That's how I understand it as well and it's a very good point on how well the 150-600 will focus on a crop sensor cameras like the 7D and 70D.  The link in the first post has 7D bird shots at 600 mm and F6.3.  I tried using Zoom Browser and DPP to see the focus points but I can't find that feature in the new 70D SW.  It does look like however that the bird was taken using center point AF so I'm guessing that the the 7D, and hopefully the 70D which is what I have, does not disable AF for F6.3 lenses like it does with reporting 1.4 TCs on the 400 5.6L lens.   Maybe, somebody else can look at the 7D images and see what was going on.

I think I'll hold off pre-ordering until we see some more shots at F6.3 and above with the 60D, 70D and 7D cameras.

hires
Like?
In reply to hires, 8 months ago

Good News!  I missed it. This Mallard photo from the 7D was taken at 600mm/F6.3 and single point AF.

WilbaW
Like?
In reply to hires, 8 months ago

hires wrote:

I'm guessing that the the 7D, and hopefully the 70D which is what I have, does not disable AF for F6.3 lenses like it does with reporting 1.4 TCs on the 400 5.6L lens.

I'm guessing this lens will tell the camera that it's focussing at f/5.6 (like all the other f/6.3 lenses apparently do), and therefore AF will remain enabled for standard precision AF points.

hires
Like?

WilbaW wrote:

I'm guessing this lens will tell the camera that it's focussing at f/5.6 (like all the other f/6.3 lenses apparently do), and therefore AF will remain enabled for standard precision AF points.

I just retested the 400 5.6L with both the Canon and Tamron 1.4 TCs on the 70D.  The non-reporting Tamron auto focuses center point and the Canon does nothing but manual focus. The Canon TC tells the camera that it is F8 and disables AF while camera doesn't even know that the Tamron TC is there so it auto focuses at F8 although, it does hunt a bit more.  What your saying is that Tamron 150-600 F6.3 lies to the camera and says that it is a F5.6 lens. That's pretty smart of Tamron do reverse engineer the firmware that way.  In theory, a firmware update from Canon could make its 1.4TC work at F8 but I guess Canon would rather have us buy expensive and heavy F4 lenses.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads