Sony 4K Handycam FDR-AX100 sample 2160p video !

Started Jan 7, 2014 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Joe Ogiba
Joe Ogiba Veteran Member • Posts: 3,679
Sony 4K Handycam FDR-AX100 sample 2160p video !
3

The 2160p youtube video looks great on my Mac Pro with 30" 2560x1600 monitor. I pre-ordered it from B&H yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEYhkvZEVN4

 Joe Ogiba's gear list:Joe Ogiba's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 III Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Samsung NX1 Sony Alpha a6300
stinelise
stinelise Regular Member • Posts: 156
Re: Sony 4K Handycam FDR-AX100 sample 2160p video !

Joe Ogiba wrote:

The 2160p youtube video looks great on my Mac Pro with 30" 2560x1600 monitor. I pre-ordered it from B&H yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEYhkvZEVN4

Thanks for sharing Joe Ogiba - It looks great on my mac too.

//Stine-Lise

 stinelise's gear list:stinelise's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro
Vesku Senior Member • Posts: 2,037
Re: Sony 4K Handycam FDR-AX100 sample 2160p video !

I want that!

Looks better than any fullHD could never be even in small monitor!

But of course when downscaling from 4k we get perfect 4:4:4 fullHD.

jkoch2
jkoch2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,198
FDR-AX1 and VG900 questions

What happened to your VG900?  Sold to raise dough for the FDR?

What bitrates attained when streaming YT 4k video? I don't even select that mode, since I have no 4k monitor.

In the PC world, what would be the minimum graphics card, RAM, and CPU specs needed to play 4k files captured with the FDR-AX1? Does the FDR-AX1 come bundled with software that can play or edit the stuff? What specs needed? What preview or render speeds achieved? If cropping 4k video, is the result neat, or does it get corrupted and messy-looking?

stinelise
stinelise Regular Member • Posts: 156
Re: FDR-AX1 and VG900 questions

jkoch2 wrote:

What happened to your VG900? Sold to raise dough for the FDR?

What bitrates attained when streaming YT 4k video? I don't even select that mode, since I have no 4k monitor.

In the PC world, what would be the minimum graphics card, RAM, and CPU specs needed to play 4k files captured with the FDR-AX1? Does the FDR-AX1 come bundled with software that can play or edit the stuff? What specs needed? What preview or render speeds achieved? If cropping 4k video, is the result neat, or does it get corrupted and messy-looking?

Why not try it out your self?

You can find an original file from FDR-AX1 here:

https://www.cinema5d.com/?p=21457

//Stine Lise

 stinelise's gear list:stinelise's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro
Markr041 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,417
Re: Sony 4K Handycam FDR-AX100 sample 2160p video !

Vesku wrote:

I want that!

Looks better than any fullHD could never be even in small monitor!

But of course when downscaling from 4k we get perfect 4:4:4 fullHD.

Still 8-bit, and relatively small dynamic range. And the bitrate?

 Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100 Canon EOS M +5 more
CAcreeks
CAcreeks Veteran Member • Posts: 8,933
Re: Nyquist theorem etc.

Joe Ogiba wrote:

The 2160p youtube video looks great. I pre-ordered it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEYhkvZEVN4

Yes, much better than RX10 video. Greater dynamic range, subject motion less shaky, zoom and panning are smoother.

Downsampling 1080p to 720p does not seem to improve quality a lot, but this video looks great. Note that 4K is exactly 200% of 720p. Results perhaps ratify the Nyquist–Shannon sampling theorem.

(I am not sure that YouTube actually gives you the higher-res settings when you set them.)

Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 11,778
Re: Nyquist theorem etc.

CAcreeks wrote:

Note that 4K is exactly 200% of 720p.

Did you mean "4K is exactly 200% of 1080p"...?

Steven-T
Steven-T Veteran Member • Posts: 3,348
4K RAW video support?

Joe Ogiba wrote:

The 2160p youtube video looks great on my Mac Pro with 30" 2560x1600 monitor. I pre-ordered it from B&H yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEYhkvZEVN4

It seems the Sony 4K FDR-AX100 is an attractive affordable offer. After searching through the web, I can't find 2 spec items.  Anyone knows?

1.  What is the dimensions and weight of this AX100?

2.  Does it support shooting 4K RAW video? If yes, what is the RAW format?

Thanks, . . . Steven

 Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Leica M9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony Alpha 7R II +6 more
stinelise
stinelise Regular Member • Posts: 156
Re: 4K RAW video support?

Steven-T wrote:

Joe Ogiba wrote:

The 2160p youtube video looks great on my Mac Pro with 30" 2560x1600 monitor. I pre-ordered it from B&H yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEYhkvZEVN4

It seems the Sony 4K FDR-AX100 is an attractive affordable offer. After searching through the web, I can't find 2 spec items. Anyone knows?

1. What is the dimensions and weight of this AX100?

2. Does it support shooting 4K RAW video? If yes, what is the RAW format?

Thanks, . . . Steven

Hi Steven

Found the weigh, that should be around 915 gram, but this is not info from Sony. Source of my info is:

http://www.audiovideopro.net/ces-2014-sony-releases-fdr-ax100-2000-4k-handycam/

I have also been searching more tech info but only found this at Sony:

http://store.sony.com/4k-camcorder-with-1-sensor-zid27-FDRAX100/B/cat-27-catid-All-Handycam-Camcorders

you need to click the link "view specifications" on the top right side of the page.

//Stine-Lise

 stinelise's gear list:stinelise's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro
Steven-T
Steven-T Veteran Member • Posts: 3,348
Re: 4K RAW video support?

stinelise wrote:

Steven-T wrote:

Joe Ogiba wrote:

The 2160p youtube video looks great on my Mac Pro with 30" 2560x1600 monitor. I pre-ordered it from B&H yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEYhkvZEVN4

It seems the Sony 4K FDR-AX100 is an attractive affordable offer. After searching through the web, I can't find 2 spec items. Anyone knows?

1. What is the dimensions and weight of this AX100?

2. Does it support shooting 4K RAW video? If yes, what is the RAW format?

Thanks, . . . Steven

Hi Steven

Found the weigh, that should be around 915 gram, but this is not info from Sony. Source of my info is:

http://www.audiovideopro.net/ces-2014-sony-releases-fdr-ax100-2000-4k-handycam/

I have also been searching more tech info but only found this at Sony:

http://store.sony.com/4k-camcorder-with-1-sensor-zid27-FDRAX100/B/cat-27-catid-All-Handycam-Camcorders

you need to click the link "view specifications" on the top right side of the page.

//Stine-Lise

Thanks. 915grams is quite portable.

If Sony doesn't talk about 4K RAW support, the customer (aka me) is in doubt negatively. No FDR-AX100 for the customer, until the customer finds out otherwise.

Best, Steven

 Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Leica M9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony Alpha 7R II +6 more
Markr041 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,417
Re: 4K RAW video support?
1

Steven-T wrote:

stinelise wrote:

Steven-T wrote:

Joe Ogiba wrote:

The 2160p youtube video looks great on my Mac Pro with 30" 2560x1600 monitor. I pre-ordered it from B&H yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEYhkvZEVN4

It seems the Sony 4K FDR-AX100 is an attractive affordable offer. After searching through the web, I can't find 2 spec items. Anyone knows?

1. What is the dimensions and weight of this AX100?

2. Does it support shooting 4K RAW video? If yes, what is the RAW format?

Thanks, . . . Steven

Hi Steven

Found the weigh, that should be around 915 gram, but this is not info from Sony. Source of my info is:

http://www.audiovideopro.net/ces-2014-sony-releases-fdr-ax100-2000-4k-handycam/

I have also been searching more tech info but only found this at Sony:

http://store.sony.com/4k-camcorder-with-1-sensor-zid27-FDRAX100/B/cat-27-catid-All-Handycam-Camcorders

you need to click the link "view specifications" on the top right side of the page.

//Stine-Lise

Thanks. 915grams is quite portable.

If Sony doesn't talk about 4K RAW support, the customer (aka me) is in doubt negatively. No FDR-AX100 for the customer, until the customer finds out otherwise.

Best, Steven

It does not even shoot RAW stills, let alone RAW video. It does not shoot RAW video. Are you waiting to see it say in the specs "Does not shoot RAW video."? It never will. It also shoots 8-bit, 4:2:0. Consumer specs.

If you want RAW 4K video, the Black Magic 4K camera will appear soon.

 Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100 Canon EOS M +5 more
Vesku Senior Member • Posts: 2,037
Re: Sony 4K Handycam FDR-AX100 sample 2160p video !

Specs:

http://presscentre.sony.eu/content/detail.aspx?ReleaseID=9344&NewsAreaId=2

So it is 3840 30P h.264 60Mbs

It may be too low bitrate for me. I think that GH4 would have much higher bitrate and better sensor too. 4K 60P would be a dream.

Steven-T
Steven-T Veteran Member • Posts: 3,348
Re: 4K RAW video support?

Markr041 wrote:

Steven-T wrote:

stinelise wrote:

Steven-T wrote:

Joe Ogiba wrote:

The 2160p youtube video looks great on my Mac Pro with 30" 2560x1600 monitor. I pre-ordered it from B&H yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEYhkvZEVN4

It seems the Sony 4K FDR-AX100 is an attractive affordable offer. After searching through the web, I can't find 2 spec items. Anyone knows?

1. What is the dimensions and weight of this AX100?

2. Does it support shooting 4K RAW video? If yes, what is the RAW format?

Thanks, . . . Steven

Hi Steven

Found the weigh, that should be around 915 gram, but this is not info from Sony. Source of my info is:

http://www.audiovideopro.net/ces-2014-sony-releases-fdr-ax100-2000-4k-handycam/

I have also been searching more tech info but only found this at Sony:

http://store.sony.com/4k-camcorder-with-1-sensor-zid27-FDRAX100/B/cat-27-catid-All-Handycam-Camcorders

you need to click the link "view specifications" on the top right side of the page.

//Stine-Lise

Thanks. 915grams is quite portable.

If Sony doesn't talk about 4K RAW support, the customer (aka me) is in doubt negatively. No FDR-AX100 for the customer, until the customer finds out otherwise.

Best, Steven

It does not even shoot RAW stills, let alone RAW video. It does not shoot RAW video. Are you waiting to see it say in the specs "Does not shoot RAW video."? It never will. It also shoots 8-bit, 4:2:0. Consumer specs.

If you want RAW 4K video, the Black Magic 4K camera will appear soon.

Trust, but verify. If a company can miss the dimensions and weight in the product spec, might be also missing something else. Luckily asking is not a crime, at least not yet. No interest in the Blackmagic 4K.

Thank you for your friendly comment.

Steven

 Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Leica M9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony Alpha 7R II +6 more
CAcreeks
CAcreeks Veteran Member • Posts: 8,933
Re: Nyquist theorem etc.

Sean Nelson wrote:

4K is exactly 200% of 720p.

Did you mean "4K is exactly 200% of 1080p"...?

Yes, sorry.

At some point, downsampling yields diminishing returns, but considering the relatively poor quality of video frames, perhaps taking 4K video will allow you to post really good 1080p videos.

For Bayers sensors, I feel still images are best when downsampled 50%, giving one pixel for four RGGB values.

Joe Ogiba
Joe Ogiba OP Veteran Member • Posts: 3,679
Re: FDR-AX1 and VG900 questions
1

My VG900 is a full frame that shoots 24mp RAW stills and 1080p60 video with all of my fast PK mount prime lenses ( 24mm F1.4, 35mm F1.4, 50mm F1.4, 85mm F1.4) so it's not the same as this fixed lens 4K camcorder with much smaller 1" sensor and F2.8-F4.5 zoom ( f8-F11 FF eqiv) . I also use the Sony HVL-F60M flash on my VG900 that would also work on the FDR-AX1.

 Joe Ogiba's gear list:Joe Ogiba's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 III Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Samsung NX1 Sony Alpha a6300
Roland Schulz Contributing Member • Posts: 506
Re: Sony 4K Handycam FDR-AX100 sample 2160p video !

Vesku wrote:

But of course when downscaling from 4k we get perfect 4:4:4 fullHD.

...and how to play that 4:4:4? By the way, in 2k it would "only" be 4:4:2 from 4:2:0 original footage.

BUT: for a 2k€ camcorder this looks really great! The sample footage is only 15Mbps, 60Mbps will be somewhat better. I downscaled the 4k original to 2k using Edius 7 with Lancos 3 -> really stunning!!!

yonsarh Senior Member • Posts: 1,815
Re: Sony 4K Handycam FDR-AX100 sample 2160p video !

I want that 4k camcorder!.

Even my FULL HD 1080p camcorder video quality suck at my asus 27" monitor. 

lancespring Veteran Member • Posts: 3,788
Why would you believe

stinelise wrote:

You can find an original file from FDR-AX1 here:

https://www.cinema5d.com/?p=21457

that is an original file from the camcorder???

.

 lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 Sony a6000 +1 more
stinelise
stinelise Regular Member • Posts: 156
Re: Why would you believe

lancespring wrote:

stinelise wrote:

You can find an original file from FDR-AX1 here:

https://www.cinema5d.com/?p=21457

that is an original file from the camcorder???

Seems like the (3840x2160 / 2GB) MP4 file handles easily on my iMac, and I can even import it into CS5 - but there are no posiblity to export it out in 3840x2160, but I guess a software update will fix this problem.

So now I am also wondering - if this is the original file from the camera, then I'm gonna get one.

After looking at the clip from Sony on Youtube in highest resolution (2160) I'm convinced that this is the way to go. Then its just to decide what camera to choose.

//Stine Lise

 stinelise's gear list:stinelise's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads