New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Retouch Q- contrast/light?
8 months ago

I am new to retouching and I'm curious how to get a photo from

here

to here

via

Does the original photo need to have been taken in natural light, as the goal photo clearly is, or is it something that can be achieved through retouching?  Curious what y'all would do.

Note: original photo not taken to mimic goal photo, it just happened to match.  I'm a fan of this photographers work and would like to work to get my photos similar in style/lighting.  I use Gimp, but I also have photoshop elements.

Thanks in advance for your help!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
swald
Regular MemberPosts: 105
Like?
Re: Retouch Q- contrast/light?
In reply to SoCalArtist, 8 months ago

Some basic retouching, but mostly just a change of color temperature (warmer).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jack Sofield
Senior MemberPosts: 2,121
Like?

This one has adjustments made in Portrait Professional only.

This one has my effort at color adjustment and then brush work only on the facial area.

-- hide signature --

Always teach for understanding, not agreement.
JC Sofield
www.pbase.com/jcsofield

SoCalArtist
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to swald, 8 months ago

Great work- with the color temp, did you apply to the whole image at once, or do sections?  What basic retouching?  It looks like some skin smoothing- what tool did you use for that?  Also, it seems like there's light illuminating the face- was that a specific tool?  Thanks in advance for your advice.

drh681
Forum ProPosts: 11,391
Like?
perhaps start in the HDR toning dialog...

then a bit of bow curve, and a softening layer masked and faded to 66% opacity with a luminosity merge...

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
Gravitons no longer shipped outside US or Canada
-----.....------
You got a camera, now go out and get a life; or at least a picture of one!

Allen Gerdes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,120
Like?

I did three things to skin on a duplicate of the background layer: applied Topaz Clean3; applied contrast mask and blended with the original at approximately 50% opacity, then merged down; and applied a warming filter at a very low setting.  To give the image a little more pop, I also enhanced the eyes.

Regards....Allen

canuck dave
Senior MemberPosts: 2,723
Like?

SoCalArtist wrote:

here

to here

via

Does the original photo need to have been taken in natural light, as the goal photo clearly is, or is it something that can be achieved through retouching? Curious what y'all would do.

Note: original photo not taken to mimic goal photo, it just happened to match. I'm a fan of this photographers work and would like to work to get my photos similar in style/lighting. I use Gimp, but I also have photoshop elements.

The goal image may have been taken in daylight, but it is the quality and control of the lighting that is different. Your image does not appear to be tack sharp (and I'm not a pixel peeper) and her makeup is not as well applied as your goal shot. I see this as less of a 'retouching' concern and more of a shooting/lighting issue.

asoftwind
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,332
Like?

You say you're new to retouching. I suggest you watch lots of videos on Youtube, and other websites. I think you like the effect of Soft Light applied to an image after it has been pp'd. In this case I used 25 % opacity.

-- hide signature --

Claude

Patsy Murphy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,471
Like?

Portraiture, Curves adjustment layer, high pass, and finally a warming filter.

Regards Patsym

Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,875Gear list
Like?
In reply to canuck dave, 8 months ago

canuck dave wrote:

SoCalArtist wrote:

here

This is my attempt using Adobe Camera Raw in PSE only. The next step would be to use the Editor to whiten the eye areas, sharpen selectively the lips and eyelashes. Then the skin needs to be selectively softened. I did turn down clarity in ACR to soften it some, but it needs to be refined.

Not sure of your lens setting. Typically portraits look best when shot at about 85 mm (35 mm equiv.)

Photoshop Elements ACR 7.4 version

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
Ronny Harris
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,787
Like?

Soft light dodge and burn, red as well as green channel soft light layers, a touch of facial glow (highlight layer blurred in screen mode), selective color adjustments, and a little eye work.

Ronny

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

SoCalArtist wrote:

I am new to retouching and . . .

I used a curves adjustment layer in Photoshop. If you want the psd file to see the adjustment, email me. I suppose it'll open in PS Elements.

-- hide signature --
Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,875Gear list
Like?
Sorry Canuck Dave...
In reply to Ron AKA, 8 months ago

I intended to post in response to the OP, not your post as I did. I guess I lost track of where I was posting from...

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
Acmespaceship
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?

There's no substitute for investing the time to learn portrait retouching techniques and all the ins and outs of the Curves tool. But meanwhile there's nothing wrong with using a few quick tricks

I opened your photo in GIMP and applied Filters-G'MIC-Details-YAG Effect.  I used the default values.  YAG, incidentally, stands for "yet another glow."  It warms up an image and often looks good on portraits.  If you don't have the G'MIC plugin, download it from http://gmic.sourceforge.net/gimp.shtml

Then I used Filters-Enhance-Unsharp Mask to lightly sharpen the entire image.  Much more tweaking could be done of course, but this will get you started.

One G'MIC filter and a bit of sharpening

Pixel Poetry
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,771Gear list
Like?

-- hide signature --

PX

Pixel Poetry's gear list:Pixel Poetry's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
Allen Gerdes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,120
Like?
Re: Another version.......
In reply to Allen Gerdes, 8 months ago

She looks too pale-skinned below the chin, so I gave her an overall suntan effect:

Regards....Allen

tom60634
Senior MemberPosts: 1,892Gear list
Like?

SoCalArtist wrote:

here

to here

via

Does the original photo need to have been taken in natural light, as the goal photo clearly is, or is it something that can be achieved through retouching? Curious what y'all would do.

Note: original photo not taken to mimic goal photo, it just happened to match. I'm a fan of this photographers work and would like to work to get my photos similar in style/lighting. I use Gimp, but I also have photoshop elements.

A quick edit to brighten and smooth model, lighten the background. I used NIK's Viveza  to even out the lighting. Photoshop was used for selective color, luminosity and sharpening edits.

tom60634's gear list:tom60634's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
mikes
Senior MemberPosts: 2,980
Like?

Done with Corel, adjusted tones and removed some specular highlights.

SoCalArtist wrote:

here

to here

via

-- hide signature --

Only when you can criticize yourself, should you criticize others. Mikes.

benross
Contributing MemberPosts: 842
Like?

skin smoothing, luminance curve adjustment, red curve adjustment, yellow luminance increase, eyes sharpen (slightly)

JDSledge
Contributing MemberPosts: 719
Like?

...the 'from here-to-here' question has been answered expertly, so just tried a retouch ...

. JD

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads