The new ZS40 v LF1?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
bohdanz
Regular MemberPosts: 126Gear list
Like?
The new ZS40 v LF1?
9 months ago

I know none of us has yet had a chance to shoot with or handle the new ZS40.

I wonder how it compares to the LF1.

Heading on vacation next month and had been contemplating the LF1 to go with my G6....

but now the ZS40 seems on equal footing (or have I missed something).

Thanks

Bohdan

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: The new ZS40 v LF1?
In reply to bohdanz, 9 months ago

bohdanz wrote:

Heading on vacation next month and had been contemplating the LF1 to go with my G6....

Thanks

Bohdan

As the ZS40 will have an EVF and a 24 - 720mm lens, it will blow the LF1 away, IMHO, if its IQ is equal to or greater than the current ZS19 - ZS30 series cameras' IQs.

Let's hope so.

Joel

joel artino's gear list:joel artino's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Fujifilm X-A1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
saudidave
Regular MemberPosts: 488Gear list
Like?

bohdanz wrote:

Thanks

Bohdan

Better by a long way!

24mm wide not 28mm as LF1

30x zoom not 7.1

48g heavier is nothing

Only slightly larger

Why did I get an LF1 for Xmas..........................

saudidave's gear list:saudidave's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
tom1234567
Regular MemberPosts: 401Gear list
Like?

bohdanz wrote:

Thanks

Bohdan

Here is the review

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/compact-cameras/panasonic-lz40-1210535/review

Tom G

-- hide signature --

I'm a 30yr old trapped in a 62yr old body

tom1234567's gear list:tom1234567's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Fujifilm X100T Pentax K-3 Samsung NX1 Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +11 more
Dan W
Senior MemberPosts: 2,126Gear list
Like?
In reply to saudidave, 9 months ago

The LF1's sensor is larger and as you've noted, it's smaller. I'm keeping my LF1.

DW

Dan W's gear list:Dan W's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D7000 Sony a6000
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to tom1234567, 9 months ago

tom1234567 wrote:

bohdanz wrote:

Thanks

Bohdan

Here is the review

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/compact-cameras/panasonic-lz40-1210535/review

Tom G

-- hide signature --

Tom,

Unfortunately that's not a review of the camera we are discussing in this thread.

Joel

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Fujifilm X-A1
saudidave
Like?
In reply to tom1234567, 9 months ago

tom1234567 wrote:

bohdanz wrote:

Thanks

Bohdan

Here is the review

Tom G

-- hide signature --

Tom

The review you've linked to is an LZ40 not a ZS 40, it's a budget superzoom, not a travel zoom

Dave

saudidave
Like?
In reply to Dan W, 9 months ago

Dan W wrote:

The LF1's sensor is larger and as you've noted, it's smaller. I'm keeping my LF1.

DW

Dan

Yes it is smaller but not a lot. As for the sensor size, I can't see any real world difference in the ooc jpegs of my LF1 & my TZ40.

24mm is a massive advantage over 28mm.

Dave

Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,692
Like?
In reply to joel artino, 9 months ago

It is difficult to see how a 720mm equiv shining on the 18mp crammed on to a 1/2.3" sensor is going to blow anything away least of all a recent more sensibly configured 12mp on a 1/1.7"sensor camera. The sensor may have improved though and seeing the Raw coming off such a small densely populated sensor will be interesting.

The ZS35 sounds the more sensible option.

joel artino wrote:

bohdanz wrote:

Thanks

Bohdan

As the ZS40 will have an EVF and a 24 - 720mm lens, it will blow the LF1 away, IMHO, if its IQ is equal to or greater than the current ZS19 - ZS30 series cameras' IQs.

Let's hope so.

Joel

Dan W
Like?
In reply to saudidave, 9 months ago

Massive difference between 24 and 28? I don't think so. My FZ70 has a 20 and imo, it's not that different than a 24.

DW

Canon PowerShot D10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D7000 Sony a6000
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Greynerd, 9 months ago

Greynerd wrote:

It is difficult to see how a 720mm equiv shining on the 18mp crammed on to a 1/2.3" sensor is going to blow anything away least of all a recent more sensibly configured 12mp on a 1/1.7"sensor camera. The sensor may have improved though and seeing the Raw coming off such a small densely populated sensor will be interesting.

joel artino wrote:

bohdanz wrote:

Thanks

Bohdan

Let's hope so.

Joel

Greynerd,

Sometimes specs are just specs with no significant difference in real world usage.  Several photographers on this site have produced images using ZS series cameras that easily equal or exceed anything i have seen coming out of an LF1 camera.  The proof is in the output, not rhetoric or specs.

Let's wait until we see images produced before drawing any conclusions as to what these new cameras are capable of.

Joel

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Dan W wrote:

Massive difference between 24 and 28? I don't think so. My FZ70 has a 20 and imo, it's not that different than a 24.

DW

Dan,

Of course it depends on what you are trying to accomplish, but I wouldn't give up my 24mm LX7 for all the 28mm P&S cameras on the planet.  For some street scenes, interior shots and scenics shots, 28mm is just too limiting, IMHO.

Joel

Dan W
Like?

Dan W wrote:

DW

Dan,

Of course it depends on what you are trying to accomplish, but I wouldn't give up my 24mm LX7 for all the 28mm P&S cameras on the planet.  For some street scenes, interior shots and scenics shots, 28mm is just too limiting, IMHO.

Joel

Joel,

Sure, the wider the better in some situations. I just don't find a 28mm to be particularly limiting. Some of my best shots last year were taken with a 45mm equivalent lens. Would they have been somehow better with a 20 or 24 of equal quality? That's hard to say.

I have a nice fisheye converter for Sony NEX that turns a 24mm equiv. into something really wide, a 10 I think. The images are nice but it's too wide for most applications.

Dan

AnalogJ
Regular MemberPosts: 382
Like?

DW

Yeah, don't be fooled by numbers alone. The LF1 has the larger sensor, same as the LX7 (though different use of it). I also noticed recently that the FZ200 also has a smaller sensor than the LF1 and LX7. There is a reason why many turn to the latter two cameras as compact alternatives, and why Leica chooses to produce their versions of those cameras.

Timj351
Senior MemberPosts: 2,224
Like?

bohdanz wrote:

Thanks

Bohdan

The ZS40 looks like a really cool camera and for a lot of people it may be the only camera they need. I just had a quick look at it and compared to the LF1 I see three main differences that stand out. Because it has a massive focal length the camera is bigger than the LF1. By itself this would probably be well worth it for many people. The sensor is smaller and the lens is slower. This means that used in the same conditions as the LF1 you are going to have to use a higher ISO on the ZS40. Using a higher ISO and a smaller sensor is going to produce more noise in the images. Depending on the size you view your images this may or may not be a big deal. And shooting at base ISO you may not notice much difference between these cameras. It's the same with the FZ200 where, because of it's fast lens, you can keep the ISO relatively low allowing it to compete well with larger cameras.

It's all about tradeoffs and how you plan to use the camera.

-Tim

Steen Bay
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,263
Like?
In reply to Timj351, 9 months ago

Timj351 wrote:

bohdanz wrote:

Thanks

Bohdan

The ZS40 looks like a really cool camera and for a lot of people it may be the only camera they need. I just had a quick look at it and compared to the LF1 I see three main differences that stand out. Because it has a massive focal length the camera is bigger than the LF1. By itself this would probably be well worth it for many people. The sensor is smaller and the lens is slower. This means that used in the same conditions as the LF1 you are going to have to use a higher ISO on the ZS40. Using a higher ISO and a smaller sensor is going to produce more noise in the images. Depending on the size you view your images this may or may not be a big deal. And shooting at base ISO you may not notice much difference between these cameras. It's the same with the FZ200 where, because of it's fast lens, you can keep the ISO relatively low allowing it to compete well with larger cameras.

It's all about tradeoffs and how you plan to use the camera.

-Tim

28-200/2.0-5.9 vs 24-720/3.3-6.4 (equivalent FLs). LF1 is faster at 28mm eguiv. than ZS40, but quite likely that the ZS40 is faster at 200mm equiv. than LF1. Looks like an interesting camera. Just hope that it's possible to adjust contrast, sharpening, saturation and NR on ZS40 (not possible on LF1).

Ianperegian
Senior MemberPosts: 2,861
Like?
A TZ60 "hands-on" already
safaridon
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,081
Like?

Timj351 wrote:

bohdanz wrote:

Thanks

Bohdan

The ZS40 looks like a really cool camera and for a lot of people it may be the only camera they need. I just had a quick look at it and compared to the LF1 I see three main differences that stand out. Because it has a massive focal length the camera is bigger than the LF1. By itself this would probably be well worth it for many people. The sensor is smaller and the lens is slower. This means that used in the same conditions as the LF1 you are going to have to use a higher ISO on the ZS40. Using a higher ISO and a smaller sensor is going to produce more noise in the images. Depending on the size you view your images this may or may not be a big deal. And shooting at base ISO you may not notice much difference between these cameras. It's the same with the FZ200 where, because of it's fast lens, you can keep the ISO relatively low allowing it to compete well with larger cameras.

-Tim

I really am surprised and pleased what Pany has put into these two new travel cams answering what many have requested for years.  Simply amazing specs if the IQ is anything like the existing ZS cams.  Note although the LF1 lens is faster at WA ie F2 versus F3.3 the new ZS40 will be significantly faster when compared to the LF1 at 200mm as the ZS40 is F6.3 at 750mm so probably closer to F 4.5 at 200mm.  Panasonic seems to have included almost everything in the ZS40 including GPS and raw but I wish the EVF viewfinder was a little higher resolution and larger size even if protruding.  The alternate ZS35 model is equally exciting as has a swinging screen to turn out glare.  Anyone know that the list prices will be?   These innovations should make these models smash hits for travelers.  I too was tempted by the LF1 but this ZS40 trumps it if you want the tele range.

phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,343Gear list
Like?
3.3 versus 2.0 and larger sensor? Good light only I guess

joel artino wrote:

Greynerd wrote:

joel artino wrote:

bohdanz wrote:

Thanks

Bohdan

Let's hope so.

Joel

Greynerd,

Sometimes specs are just specs with no significant difference in real world usage. Several photographers on this site have produced images using ZS series cameras that easily equal or exceed anything i have seen coming out of an LF1 camera. The proof is in the output, not rhetoric or specs.

Let's wait until we see images produced before drawing any conclusions as to what these new cameras are capable of.

Joel

In good light image quality may be very close in the LF1 zoom ranges.  But your indoor shots will all need flash or a very still subject.  I am sure the ZS40 will be fine for some, but it will never match the LF1 in low light at 28mm and the LF1 will have a slight advantage on higher ISO's needed when zoomed.  The reality most photo beyond the range of the LF1 are going to be mediocre at best.

-- hide signature --
 phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,343Gear list
Like?

Timj351 wrote:

bohdanz wrote:

Thanks

Bohdan

-Tim

Tim you said it perfectly. I think most people who really understand the ISO, Aperture, Shutter triangle the LF1 iwould be and is my choice unless I move where the sun doesnt go down.

-- hide signature --
 phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads