PP thoughts? Great Wall of China, poor light

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Alex 13
Forum MemberPosts: 88
Like?
PP thoughts? Great Wall of China, poor light
8 months ago

I visited the Great Wall of China near Jinshanling on the weekend, below are two pics.

The lighting was awful. It was between 9am-12pm, hazy and cloudy, but not textured clouds just a greyish flat sky. I think the composition on these two pics is OK, but the dull light and boring sky makes them fairly flat and uninteresting.

I've done some post work in Lightroom myself, but I'm curious to see what other people's "vision" would be, to get some inspiration.  Just for fun, I've included a boring shot with a slightly more interesting sky as well, from the same location around the same time.

All photos taken handheld on a Panasonic GF6 with Panasonic 20mm F1.7 lens. I deliberately "exposed right" while trying not to blow highlights in the sky to give room for PP.

ISO160, F6.3, 1/200

ISO160, F8, 1/160

ISO160, F5.6, 1/1600s

Raw files:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0im0839g5al6uh/_1010984.RW2  - sky

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvk0hpn96rujrp4/_1020034.RW2  - pic 1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/no5hrzo0i9nt234/_1020083.RW2 - pic 2

-- hide signature --
asoftwind
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,332
Like?
Re: PP thoughts? Great Wall of China, poor light
In reply to Alex 13, 8 months ago

-- hide signature --

Claude

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dhenning
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?

I like the second picture.  I think you can overcome the boring sky by adding color, and then apply some contrast and saturation for the whole picture. Here's my take on PP.

-Doug

VicC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,306Gear list
Like?
Great Wall of China, poor light
In reply to dhenning, 8 months ago

One from me, hope you like it? Vic

MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,250
Like?
Re: Great Wall of China, poor light
In reply to VicC, 8 months ago

My offering

dhenning
Like?
In reply to dhenning, 8 months ago

Forgot to remove other photographer in my previous edit.  Here's take two:

dhenning
Like?

Replaced sky, adjusted contrast, brightness, saturation

-Doug

tony brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,102Gear list
Like?

Love your second composition. Here's my version:-

Cheers, Tony.

nand
Senior MemberPosts: 1,427Gear list
Like?
Adjustment brush in Lightroom.

Nand.

nand's gear list:nand's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +22 more
JDSledge
Contributing MemberPosts: 719
Like?

Pixel Poetry
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,773Gear list
Like?

-- hide signature --

PX

Pixel Poetry's gear list:Pixel Poetry's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
Pixel Poetry
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,773Gear list
Like?

-- hide signature --

PX

Pixel Poetry's gear list:Pixel Poetry's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
Allen Gerdes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,120
Like?

Here is my idea for the first image:

Regards....Allen

tom60634
Senior MemberPosts: 1,892Gear list
Like?

Alex 13 wrote:

I visited the Great Wall of China near Jinshanling on the weekend, below are two pics.

The lighting was awful. It was between 9am-12pm, hazy and cloudy, but not textured clouds just a greyish flat sky. I think the composition on these two pics is OK, but the dull light and boring sky makes them fairly flat and uninteresting.

I've done some post work in Lightroom myself, but I'm curious to see what other people's "vision" would be, to get some inspiration. Just for fun, I've included a boring shot with a slightly more interesting sky as well, from the same location around the same time.

All photos taken handheld on a Panasonic GF6 with Panasonic 20mm F1.7 lens. I deliberately "exposed right" while trying not to blow highlights in the sky to give room for PP.

ISO160, F8, 1/160

Two interpretations, better viewed at original size, the edits are subtle.

tom60634's gear list:tom60634's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Babine
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,400
Like?

Great shot. Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Cheers.
Gary
http://forums.dpreview.com/Galleries/8298604696/photos
http://www.pbase.com/pictek
Teach your children early about taxes. Eat 35% of their ice cream.

Michael Edward Rudge
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,738Gear list
Like?
Re:I am stuck sir
In reply to Babine, 8 months ago

Michael Edward Rudge's gear list:Michael Edward Rudge's gear list
Canon Pixma MG5350
Alex 13
Forum MemberPosts: 88
Like?
In reply to Michael Edward Rudge, 8 months ago

Wow, lots of great responses!  Thanks all, and thanks to all that left kind comments as well.

A few things I hadn't considered have given me ideas.  First, I didn't think of increasing the top of the frame of the second pic, which just adds that bit to the composition.  Cheers

Second, it never occurred to me to remove the camera man.  The work done by a few of you there is really impressive, I'm going to have to learn how (particularly the ones that also removed his shadow!).  In looking at it, I actually prefer the camera man in the shot because he adds colour and a sense of scale, but I do like the thinking.

Here's my personal interpretation (done prior to posting this and getting you ideas).

The first picture may just have to go to the bin, I am not sure it is interesting enough to be saved

VicC - I like the gritty take, it gives a good feel for the ruggedness of the area.

MisterBG - I really liked the sharpening you did.  Would you share the process you used?  I haven't been able to pull that much detail out without it going crazy with noise.  The sky shot looks great, too.

Tony - Yours is probably most similar to mine, in terms of overall colour.  Thanks for the kind words

Nand/Doug - I like the idea of colour.  I had added a little subtle dark blue in the mountains in the second pic, as well.  I'll continue to play with it.

JD - enjoyed the original take on it  I was thinking something crazy along these lines could be used.

PX - I'm enjoying the colour here, looks very clear.  I think mine comes off a tad warm, I may back off the temp a tad.

Tom - I'd thought about B&W as well, some more ideas to play with

Gary - thanks for the kind words, you've gone in the right direction with warmth as well I think.

Michael - Nice tank, haha.  Also a decent edit, cheers.

Ah, I think that's everyone - if I missed someone I apologise.  Sincerely appreciate all the work and inspiration

-- hide signature --
MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,250
Like?

Alex 13 wrote:

Wow, lots of great responses! Thanks all, and thanks to all that left kind comments as well.

A few things I hadn't considered have given me ideas. First, I didn't think of increasing the top of the frame of the second pic, which just adds that bit to the composition. Cheers

Second, it never occurred to me to remove the camera man. The work done by a few of you there is really impressive, I'm going to have to learn how (particularly the ones that also removed his shadow!). In looking at it, I actually prefer the camera man in the shot because he adds colour and a sense of scale, but I do like the thinking.

Here's my personal interpretation (done prior to posting this and getting you ideas).

The first picture may just have to go to the bin, I am not sure it is interesting enough to be saved

MisterBG - I really liked the sharpening you did. Would you share the process you used? I haven't been able to pull that much detail out without it going crazy with noise. The sky shot looks great, too.

Workflow was different for each shot, but basically Lightroom> Auto level, followed by Whites +50, Blacks -18,> Clarity +48, Vibrance +38, Saturation +10 then exported into Topaz Clarity for detail sharpening. There is an amount of noise in all of them, but I left them as they were.

The Sky shot was similar in Lightroom followed by Topaz 'Adjust' with adaptive exposure boosted.

Personally, I don't mind the photographer in the above shot, since he gives the shot a sense of scale, but for those who prefer the shot without here is an alternative version.
Used "Object remover" in OnOne Perfect Photo Suite 8.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads