Started 7 months ago | Discussions
wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,065Gear list
Like?
Re: XF56 f1.2 released and specs
In reply to Red5TX, 7 months ago

Red5TX wrote:

LWS2013 wrote:

I have high hopes that the 56mm will have excellent out of focus rendering and if Fuji ever put a decent sensor in an X body I might buy one and I'm looking forward to their Christmas 2014 free lens deal on the 23/56

That said current Fuji lenses don't have out of focus rendering to write home about

Indeed an f1.2 lens is still an f1.2 with regards to exposure but not all ISO's are equal

Lol, he's baaaaaack! And he's repeating the same old complaints. Not sure why this guy bothers with the Fuji forum, except to stir people up.

Behaviors such as this usually comes from people who are trying to justify something to themselves; they argue with others to come up with reasons for continue believe whatever it is  they want to believe.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wyldberi
Like?
In reply to LWS2013, 7 months ago

LWS2013 wrote:  well at this moment I've a couple of D800E's and a bunch of f1.4 and f2 primes, a Sony A7/R + 35/55 Zeiss lenses, the Voigtlander 35 f1.2 II and 50 1.5 VM, 75 1.8, plus an X-E1 + 18-55, 18 & 35, I shoot a lot of portraits in a number of different lighting conditions, sometimes with flash and sometimes under available light, I shoot only RAW and without a single doubt Nikon is the better system for this IMO with the Fuji being the worst, skin tones are inconsistant and often horrid from the Fuji X, now if Fuji dropped the X sensor then things might well be different.

I've had the D700, D3 and D3s and they do not compare to the D800E, not even close.

I like the X-E1 with the 18-55 for its size and image quality (OOC Jpegs) and if for nothing else its fun to use, I just hope that Fuji stick with this same body style with their FF system.

Wow.

wyldberi
Like?
In reply to Krich13, 7 months ago

Krich13 wrote:  It remains to be seen how new Fuji deals with LoCAs, it may or may not be better than Nikon 85. For twice the price it'd better be...

The one thing that sticks out about all the FX Lenses released to date is the degree to which optical aberrations have been corrected optically.

wyldberi
Like?
In reply to stimpy, 7 months ago

stimpy wrote:  And still nobody buys them because X-Trans RAW has serious issues as does the operational speed.

So it remains an incredibly niche product for a very insignificant part of the camera market - and how many of those users will shell out £1k on a huge & heavy DSLR like lens? Big seller? Lol

I fear for Fuji.

I hope the new X does not have the X-Trans II sensor, it could be the saving grace.

I don't know where stimpy lives, it's obvious English isn't his/her native language. And it's also obvious they haven't followed the developments that have taken place in regards to Fuji's X Cameras. But why would he/she feel like relegating me to the status of an "insignificant part of the camera market." Then again, that puts ol' stimpy in the same category, doesn't it?

wyldberi
Like?
In reply to LWS2013, 7 months ago

LWS2013 wrote:  well of course f1.2 is f1.2 but the DoF when compare with a FF camera and lens is not the same, that is the point being made and that is only because the OP compared the Fuji 56 to the Canon 85 f1.2.

Many times in this forum people have complained about skin tones from the X sensors, so I'm not the first and I doubt I'll be the last.

out of focus rendering isn't that great from the Fuji lenses I've used, the 56 might be better, we will have to wait and see.

For an APS-C lens yes the 56mm is quite expensive

Do you have anything interesting or relevant to contribute here?

wyldberi
Like?
In reply to Zardoz, 7 months ago

Zardoz wrote:  The Df is only $2.7k not 3. The D610 would save you $700.  The D610 is only 50g heavier, not much in it. And you gain resolution.

Are you trying to convince me to sell my Fuji gear and replace it with Nikon?  Do you think I went into this without doing some homework first and deciding that the Fuji X system was what I wanted to invest in?

What? Me switch???

Ain't gonna happen.

Alan71410
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
In reply to Absolutic, 7 months ago

The way I look at it, I paid full retail for the 14mm f/2.8 when it was released (AUD$865), which left me $1,000-odd in change from what it was really worth for me to buy a lens like the 56/1.2.

That 14mm is still the.best.lens. I have used in this digital era, and if the 56/1.2 even comes close to that ballpark it will equally be a must-have optic.

-- hide signature --

Alan

Zardoz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,249Gear list
Like?
In reply to wyldberi, 7 months ago

wyldberi wrote:

Zardoz wrote: The Df is only $2.7k not 3. The D610 would save you $700. The D610 is only 50g heavier, not much in it. And you gain resolution.

Are you trying to convince me to sell my Fuji gear and replace it with Nikon? Do you think I went into this without doing some homework first and deciding that the Fuji X system was what I wanted to invest in?

What? Me switch???

Ain't gonna happen.

A wyld troll appears.

malcolml1
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?

Yes, I follow your argument apart from one step which actually represents my original question:

>

For semiconductor sensors what matters is the total number of photons per photosite, pretty much regardless of the site area. Make two sensors: say an APS-S and FF ones both of say 16 megapixels. Expose them using the same scene for the same duration using 56/1.2 and 85/1.8 lenses respectively. Each photosite will receive the same NUMBER of photons (the number per unit area is 2.25 times larger in the first case, but the area itself is smaller by the same factor).

I agree with the area and scaling factor part, but my original question was whether it is true that the 56/1.2 will deliver the same number of photons per unit area on the APS sensor as the 85/1.8 lens on a FF sensor. I'd like to understand this part - Of course I understand that on an APS sensor the 56 lens results in an image with the same field of view as an 85 lens on a FF sensor.

Looking at the 85 mm lens and your statement that the 85/1.8 is equivalent to the 56/1.2:

Suppose we are looking at a uniformly lit scene.  Assume the 56/1.2 lens receives a total of N photons at its aperture.  These N photons are then spread over the APS sensor (ignore any losses at this point).  On the 85 lens, to get the same physical aperture area I agree that you need to stop down the lens to f1.8.  This will also capture N photons (uniformly lit scene, same number of photons per unit area).  However, in this case, the sensor area is now a factor of 2.25 larger, so those N photons result in fewer photons per unit area on the FF sensor (by a factor of 2.25).

To me, the only way to get the same number of photons per unit area on the FF sensor is to open up the 85 lens to f1.2........

The next stage - how those photons are transformed into an electrical signal is not something I know much about.  Maybe the FF sensor is so much more efficient than the APS one - but that is not an argument about the number of photons captured by different lenses any more.

Malcolm

Pic Man
Contributing MemberPosts: 893
Like?
In reply to a l b e r t, 7 months ago

There is allot of talk about equivalence to FF here and I must admit it's a little confusing. From what I gather 56mm ASPC is 85mm on FF in FOV. 1.2 is 1.8 in DOF. But 1.2 is 1.2 in light gathering. FF owners argue that because the FF sensor has bigger surface area so it's roughly about 1 stop better in ISO performance which negates the difference in light gathering from the lens. So you would shoot at 1.2 ISO 800 on ASPC and 1.8 ISO 1600 on FF and you get a similar quality image. I realise this probably very simplified.

What I'm curious about is how the lens behaves. An 85mm lens is a short telephoto and with that you get some compression which is why the background looks quite near to the subject and also gives a flattering look in portraits. Will a cropped 56mm lens behave the same way?

Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?

La Roque has a preview up:

http://www.laroquephoto.com/blog/2014/1/6/the-razors-edge-fujinon-xf-56mm-f12r

Probably won't satisfy critics, but I'm liking the results so far. Can't wait to shoot portraits with it.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
RodxE2
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chris G Hughes, 7 months ago

This one is definitely on my list. One lens I  have not seen on the roadmap is a true telephoto, something like a 200F4. Hope they will eventually fill that void. Have had my XE2 two weeks, I love it.

RodxE2's gear list:RodxE2's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2
Krich13
Regular MemberPosts: 381
Like?
In reply to malcolml1, 7 months ago

malcolml1 wrote:

Yes, I follow your argument apart from one step which actually represents my original question:

>

For semiconductor sensors what matters is the total number of photons per photosite, pretty much regardless of the site area. Make two sensors: say an APS-S and FF ones both of say 16 megapixels. Expose them using the same scene for the same duration using 56/1.2 and 85/1.8 lenses respectively. Each photosite will receive the same NUMBER of photons (the number per unit area is 2.25 times larger in the first case, but the area itself is smaller by the same factor).

I agree with the area and scaling factor part, but my original question was whether it is true that the 56/1.2 will deliver the same number of photons per unit area on the APS sensor as the 85/1.8 lens on a FF sensor.

No, it will receive 2.25 times more photons PER UNIT AREA.

To me, the only way to get the same number of photons per unit area on the FF sensor is to open up the 85 lens to f1.2........

What is so damn important about number _per_unit_area_? I really don't get it. For all image quality purposes it's an irrelevant parameter.

The next stage - how those photons are transformed into an electrical signal is not something I know much about. Maybe the FF sensor is so much more efficient than the APS one

No, it isn't any more efficient. It doesn't need to be. It's just 1.5 times bigger, which is enough to achieve over one stop signal to noise gain (or to perform on equal foot at 2.25 times lower illumination level).

Krich13
Like?
In reply to Asylum Photo, 7 months ago

Asylum Photo wrote:

Probably won't satisfy critics, but I'm liking the results so far. Can't wait to shoot portraits with it.

-- hide signature --

Not bad, but highlights outlines are pretty rough. Impossible to evaluate sharpness at this image size.

Birse Boy
Regular MemberPosts: 315
Like?

I'm sure it will be a great lens but heck...£1000 is pretty eye watering.

I took this pic with a 30 odd year old manual Rokkor 50mm f1.4 that i recently picked up for £50, it will do me nicely thank you

I also have a 58mm f1.4 Rokkor and a bunch of otherRokkors with adaptors, all for less than the cost of the XF35mm. It's a funny old world !

dark13star
Contributing MemberPosts: 964Gear list
Like?

Krich13 wrote:

What is so damn important about number _per_unit_area_? I really don't get it. For all image quality purposes it's an irrelevant parameter.

Because that is an essential part of exposure. You can use a faster shutter speed.

-- hide signature --

"I would be an historian as Herodotus was." -Charles Olson
http://herodot.us

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?

Krich13 wrote:

Asylum Photo wrote:

-- hide signature --

Not bad, but highlights outlines are pretty rough. Impossible to evaluate sharpness at this image size.

Yeah, I have a feeling people will take note of that. I wonder how much is the lens, and how much of that is the result of post production (clarity sliders will cause outlines like that, for example).

Me? I couldn't care less. I don't sit and stare at out of focus lights.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Krich13
Like?
In reply to dark13star, 7 months ago

dark13star wrote:

Krich13 wrote:

Because that is an essential part of exposure. You can use a faster shutter speed.

No, you can use the same shutter speed, adjusting ISO accordingly for the same Image quality results.

malcolml1
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?

Krich13 wrote:

malcolml1 wrote:

>

I agree with the area and scaling factor part, but my original question was whether it is true that the 56/1.2 will deliver the same number of photons per unit area on the APS sensor as the 85/1.8 lens on a FF sensor.

Totally agree that the 56/1/2 will deliver more photons per unit area than the 85/1.8 - and this is my question - if this is the case, how is the 56/1.2 equivalent to the 85/1.8 in terms of the light delivered per unit area - your statement above says they are:

"Make two sensors: say an APS-S and FF ones both of say 16 megapixels. Expose them using the same scene for the same duration using 56/1.2 and 85/1.8 lenses respectively. Each photosite will receive the same NUMBER of photons (the number per.."

Seems to be a contradiction.....

Krich13
Like?
In reply to malcolml1, 7 months ago

malcolml1 wrote:

Krich13 wrote:

malcolml1 wrote:

>

Totally agree that the 56/1/2 will deliver more photons per unit area than the 85/1.8 - and this is my question - if this is the case, how is the 56/1.2 equivalent to the 85/1.8 in terms of the light delivered per unit area - your statement above says they are:

"Make two sensors: say an APS-S and FF ones both of say 16 megapixels. Expose them using the same scene for the same duration using 56/1.2 and 85/1.8 lenses respectively. Each photosite will receive the same NUMBER of photons (the number per.."

Seems to be a contradiction.....

Where is the contradiction? Each photosite of the full frame sensor would have 2.25 times larger area (the same number (not density) of megapixels), number of photons _per_unit_area_ 2.25 times smaller, the TOTAL NUMBER of photons is the same. What is so difficult?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads