XF56 f1.2 released and specs

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Absolutic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,706Gear list
Like?
Re: XF56 f1.2 released and specs
In reply to Krich13, 8 months ago

For anyone who thinks the $999 price of 56/1.2 is too high, let me put it perspective.   Panasonic just announced the price for its 42.5/1.2 (same 85mm equivalent, althoough DOF more like 85/2.4 on a full frame).   Price in the USA - $1599.     Makes that Fuji feel like a bargain, no?????  Oh and it weighs more than Fuji, even though it has to cover a smaller, m43, sensor.    $600 more for what?  Image stablization?

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,076Gear list
Like?
Zeiss Distagon Otus....55 f1.4...4000 dollar....
In reply to Absolutic, 8 months ago

Absolutic wrote:

For anyone who thinks the $999 price of 56/1.2 is too high, let me put it perspective. Panasonic just announced the price for its 42.5/1.2 (same 85mm equivalent, althoough DOF more like 85/2.4 on a full frame). Price in the USA - $1599. Makes that Fuji feel like a bargain, no????? Oh and it weighs more than Fuji, even though it has to cover a smaller, m43, sensor. $600 more for what? Image stablization?

Ziess Otus distagon 55 mm F1.4...4000 dollars...any comments? To my mind, you cannot just compare specs and say something sensible about a lens and its performance. Just wait and see. May be the Panny is indeed overpriced. May be the FUji has downsides. Who knows. Wait and see.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
dark13star
Contributing MemberPosts: 972Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bill Robb, 8 months ago

Bill Robb wrote:

I really wish people would stop trying to justify large sensor cameras based on the rather small advantages they have in a couple of parameters.

Especially when this is a forum where most people have chosen the smaller sensor through informed decisions. We don't go to the Nikon and Canon forums and compare everything to Phase Ones.

-- hide signature --

"I would be an historian as Herodotus was." -Charles Olson
http://herodot.us

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
Absolutic
Like?
Re: Zeiss Distagon Otus....55 f1.4...4000 dollar....
In reply to Jorginho, 8 months ago

Jorginho wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

For anyone who thinks the $999 price of 56/1.2 is too high, let me put it perspective. Panasonic just announced the price for its 42.5/1.2 (same 85mm equivalent, althoough DOF more like 85/2.4 on a full frame). Price in the USA - $1599. Makes that Fuji feel like a bargain, no????? Oh and it weighs more than Fuji, even though it has to cover a smaller, m43, sensor. $600 more for what? Image stablization?

Ziess Otus distagon 55 mm F1.4...4000 dollars...any comments? To my mind, you cannot just compare specs and say something sensible about a lens and its performance. Just wait and see. May be the Panny is indeed overpriced. May be the FUji has downsides. Who knows. Wait and see.

I am comparing lenses that cover circles smaller than full frame here.   Otus covers full frame and I dont see any problems with its price for what it does.    Based on Fuji's previous Xf lenses, I doubt there will be downsides, but we shall see.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +2 more
Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,298Gear list
Like?
In reply to dark13star, 8 months ago

dark13star wrote:

Especially when this is a forum where most people have chosen the smaller sensor through informed decisions. We don't go to the Nikon and Canon forums and compare everything to Phase Ones.

-- hide signature --

No, but plenty of true believers in m4/3 come to the Canon FF forum saying m4/3 image quality is as good as FF, and that people buying FF systems are dupes and dopes. I just wish people would discuss things they are interested in instead of trying to convince other people that they have the one valid system.

-- hide signature --

Not because I think they are good, but because I would like to improve (feel free to provide me with feedback):
http://500px.com/carolteater

Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,076Gear list
Like?
Okey...nikon 50 mm F1.4...400 bucks

Absolutic wrote:

Jorginho wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

I am comparing lenses that cover circles smaller than full frame here. Otus covers full frame and I dont see any problems with its price for what it does. Based on Fuji's previous Xf lenses, I doubt there will be downsides, but we shall see.

Covers a FF sensor too....1/10 of the cost of the Otus. What is the rationale behind such comparisons.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Harry S
Regular MemberPosts: 429
Like?
In reply to Caerolle, 8 months ago

Caerolle wrote:

dark13star wrote:

-- hide signature --

No, but plenty of true believers in m4/3 come to the Canon FF forum saying m4/3 image quality is as good as FF, and that people buying FF systems are dupes and dopes. I just wish people would discuss things they are interested in instead of trying to convince other people that they have the one valid system.

-- hide signature --

Not because I think they are good, but because I would like to improve (feel free to provide me with feedback):

Probably best to leave the DPReview forums and spend time elsewhere then. I've never seen so much 'equivalence' talk as I have in this forum, every single time a fast lens is discussed it comes up, and we go around in a huge circle yet again.

Ironically it's entirely irrelevant to 99% of people using one system, I'm fairly confident there are people discussing equivalent depth of field with FF who have never even shot FF (I'm still not sure why somebody somewhere decided FF was the benchmark, it wasn't so long ago that many, many photographers would never consider using such a small sensor!).

Even more ironically, many of us moved to Fuji from FF precisely because we wanted to downsize, every format is a compromise in one way or another. I owned a D600 until 4 weeks ago, I know what the 85mm 1.8 cost, but I will still buy the 56mm 1.2 when I can afford it, the price of the 85mm 1.8 on a system I don't use is beyond irrelevant.

Chris G Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?
In reply to a l b e r t, 8 months ago

Ha! Another thread goes off the rails in typical DPR style. Very high noise to signal ration this time.

I'll be adding the 56 to my lineup for sure. It's the portrait lens I've been waiting for. It'll have to wait budget wise until after I replace my 18 with the 14 and add the 23 as well, but the 56 is on the list.  The only one that doesn't really make sense to me is the 27. Seems like it should have been branded XC.

So, eventually I plan on owning all the main primes except the 60 macro and the 27 pancake. I have the 18-55 and 55-200 zooms and they'll suffice for the foreseeable future. The constant aperture zooms on the roadmap look nice but I see no reason to upgrade at the moment. I shoot primes more often than zooms.

At this point I'd like to see an ultra-wide and a true macro. Hitting the long and short ends would round out the range IMO. a solid 90mm macro and a fast 12mm would be great.

Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
dark13star
Contributing MemberPosts: 972Gear list
Like?
In reply to Harry S, 8 months ago

Harry S wrote:

Caerolle wrote:

dark13star wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Probably best to leave the DPReview forums and spend time elsewhere then. I've never seen so much 'equivalence' talk as I have in this forum, every single time a fast lens is discussed it comes up, and we go around in a huge circle yet again.

Ironically it's entirely irrelevant to 99% of people using one system, I'm fairly confident there are people discussing equivalent depth of field with FF who have never even shot FF (I'm still not sure why somebody somewhere decided FF was the benchmark, it wasn't so long ago that many, many photographers would never consider using such a small sensor!).

Even more ironically, many of us moved to Fuji from FF precisely because we wanted to downsize, every format is a compromise in one way or another. I owned a D600 until 4 weeks ago, I know what the 85mm 1.8 cost, but I will still buy the 56mm 1.2 when I can afford it, the price of the 85mm 1.8 on a system I don't use is beyond irrelevant.

Caerolle, I agree with you and I don't visit forums for equipment I don't own.

Harry, I have a similar story, but I haven't decided to get rid of my D600 and all the lenses yet. Now that I have my flashes working with my Fujis using remote triggers, it is getting more likely though. When I do use the Nikon, it is usually with the 85 or the 105 and speed lights.

When I first started reading this forum, it seemed to be full of people who really loved their cameras. Lurking here helped me ditch my Sony Nex and switch to Fuji. I still really enjoy some of the discussion here, but this FF equivalence stuff is getting crazy and much of it seems to come from trolls and sock puppets.

Glad you are another happy Fuji shooter.

Rich

-- hide signature --

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
BarnET
Senior MemberPosts: 1,426Gear list
Like?

Man I hate that you are right.
The pana costs 1599 and that's plain robbery.
The 56mm f1.2 999 is reasonable especially since Fuji sensors are that close to fullframe.

BarnET
Senior MemberPosts: 1,426Gear list
Like?
In reply to LWS2013, 8 months ago

On BH the Nikon d610 is 500 more then an xe2 with the now msrp price of the 56mm

Krich13
Regular MemberPosts: 398
Like?

Absolutic wrote:

My point exactly. FF is becoming the cheapest system to own, and since introduction of A7(r) (which will no doubt be followed by smaller cameras from Canikon, after all even the mirrorless A7 is bigger than the film FF SLR Olympus OM-1) is becoming comparable in size and weight.

Krich13
Regular MemberPosts: 398
Like?
In reply to Harry S, 8 months ago

Harry S wrote:

Even more ironically, many of us moved to Fuji from FF precisely because we wanted to downsize.

When we did (I still own X-E1 with two lenses which will be up for sale very soon) compact affordable FF cameras weren't around. Now they are.

Aethon
Regular MemberPosts: 309
Like?

Krich13 wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

My point exactly. FF is becoming the cheapest system to own, and since introduction of A7(r) (which will no doubt be followed by smaller cameras from Canikon, after all even the mirrorless A7 is bigger than the film FF SLR Olympus OM-1) is becoming comparable in size and weight.

You may be able to build a decent FF system that is cheaper than an equivalent Fuji X system, but you would have to go with Canikon and be very limited in your lens selection if you wish to stay under Fuji's pricing. Alternatively, Sony's A7 will give you a compact body but with higher priced, larger lenses.

The point about Fuji is that it's the right set of compromises (obviously a subjective view. you're perfectly entitled to have a different set of priorities):

APS is a good compromise between FF and crappy-tiny and Fuji X lenses are a good compromise between true pro-quality and cheap plastic lenses. Even their pricing is a good compromise between Canon L glass and the low-cost stuff.

For me, Fujifilm gets it about right. Canon, Nikon and Sony have lost the plot. YMMV.

georgehudetz
Regular MemberPosts: 449Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aethon, 8 months ago

Aethon wrote:

You may be able to build a decent FF system that is cheaper than an equivalent Fuji X system, but you would have to go with Canikon and be very limited in your lens selection if you wish to stay under Fuji's pricing. Alternatively, Sony's A7 will give you a compact body but with higher priced, larger lenses.

It is interesting. If your goal is to build a system of primes, and you want 20-24-35-50-85 mm equivalent focal lengths, and limit yourself to 1.8 lenses on FF (at least in the 35-50-85 range, wider lenses will be slower in both systems, naturally), both Fuji X & Nikon will run you almost exactly $5k by today's prices. That's with an XE-2 on the Fuji side, and a DF on the Nikon side.

The Nikon system will be about 550 grams heavier, but most of that weight is in the body, where it should be.

I do like the Fuji system, and the cost of entry is much lower ($3k for the DF & 50mm, vs. $1900 for the XE-2 & 35mm). But as you start buying lenses the cost evens out.

Of course, you could opt for a D610 instead of the DF and make the Nikon system a fair bit cheaper, but of course the weight goes up.

georgehudetz's gear list:georgehudetz's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Zardoz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,249Gear list
Like?
In reply to georgehudetz, 8 months ago

georgehudetz wrote:

Aethon wrote:

It is interesting. If your goal is to build a system of primes, and you want 20-24-35-50-85 mm equivalent focal lengths, and limit yourself to 1.8 lenses on FF (at least in the 35-50-85 range, wider lenses will be slower in both systems, naturally), both Fuji X & Nikon will run you almost exactly $5k by today's prices. That's with an XE-2 on the Fuji side, and a DF on the Nikon side.

The Nikon system will be about 550 grams heavier, but most of that weight is in the body, where it should be.

I do like the Fuji system, and the cost of entry is much lower ($3k for the DF & 50mm, vs. $1900 for the XE-2 & 35mm). But as you start buying lenses the cost evens out.

Of course, you could opt for a D610 instead of the DF and make the Nikon system a fair bit cheaper, but of course the weight goes up.

The Df is only $2.7k not 3.  The D610 would save you $700.

The D610 is only 50g heavier, not much in it.  And you gain resolution.

Qwntm
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,428Gear list
Like?
Anybody who thinks this is "just" a Canikon 85 1.8 is clueless.
In reply to Chris G Hughes, 8 months ago

Anybody who thinks this is "just" a Canikon 85 1.8 is clueless.

And really doesn't get the X system concept at all. Just sayin'

This is the lens that makes the 14/23/35/56 combo the best bang for the buck in photography right now. Period.

Good luck with your Full Frames. LOL!

-- hide signature --

Edward
www.youtube.com/photouniverse
www.edwardthomasart.com
www.pbase.com/edwardthomas

Qwntm's gear list:Qwntm's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Fujifilm X-E2 +14 more
Absolutic
Like?

Krich13 wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

It is an interesting proposition I've not thought about it in that way.  So you are saying that FF gear (bodies) are going to be getting cheaper in price and you'd be able to pick up reasonably priced lenses equivalent or better than Fuji X.....    So assuming you are right, fast forward couple of years from now,  we would have the following choices:   One can have a cheap but large full frame system.   Or if one wants a small compact system, would have to pay more.     Sort of like when in the 70s,  4-Track would give you a better audio quality than cassette tapes, but the size of 4-Track player/recorder was significantly larger than smaller cassette players?

Absolutic
Like?
wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,321Gear list
Like?
In reply to Caerolle, 8 months ago

Caerolle wrote: I just wish people would discuss things they are interested in instead of trying to convince other people that they have the one valid system.

I have the one valid system. It's a Fuji X-E1 -- because I haven't purchased an X-E2 yet.

It's small, light, captures great images, and I find it "fun" to use, because it reminds me of cameras I used decades ago. Also, the care and feeding of more than one camera system is a hobby I can't afford to support.

Sure, there are things about this system that annoy me at times, but I can't believe any other system would be any different in that respect. If I chose to focus on what annoys me, I'd have to go shopping for a new system, and then I'd have to find a way to cope with the annoyances that system brings my way. Instead, I choose to deal with the current annoyances, and focus instead on the reasons why I find my current system to be so fun to use.

But that's just me. I'm sure you're different than all that, and you probably find things about your system that annoys you at times. I just hope you have as much fun as I do using mine.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads