XF56 f1.2 released and specs

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
dark13star
Contributing MemberPosts: 946Gear list
Like?
Happily Pre-Ordered
In reply to a l b e r t, 6 months ago

I'm very happy with that price point for this lens and I already have the Nikon D600 with 85 1.8 that was compared above. I only use the Nikon with my light setup (speedlights with umbrellas, etc.) now and have been waiting for this lens for natural light portraits. Since some of the bashers here still don't realize that exposure is not related to film/sensor size, they don't understand the ability to shoot candlelight portraits with this lens

Now to wait for April...

Rich

-- hide signature --

"I would be an historian as Herodotus was." -Charles Olson
http://herodot.us

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: XF56 f1.2 released and specs
In reply to Gaijin Tourist, 6 months ago

Gaijin Tourist wrote:

While the inevitable shaking out of Fujifilm's lesser product lines is similar to all the other manufacturers' moves in the face of shrinking P+S sales, this lens, the newly-expanded X lens roadmap, and their continuing large program of camera firmware updates show Fuji to be moving at a pace unmatched by anyone else in birthing an entire X system right before our eyes.

Nikon is still missing some lenses in their DX range, Sony and Panasonic often seem to be waiting on the other one to fill holes, or of course Sony on its own has long been the brunt of the 'great cameras, where's the lenses?' discussions.

When and if an X 'DSLR-ish' body is realized, and should that camera incorporate an OVF / EVF selector in that style of body, it would be a real coup. Even without that, that type of body would provide the ultimate 'hat trick': A dslr-style body, a rangefinder-style body, and a XE style body, all using the same lenses, never been done before.
JW

And still nobody buys them because X-Trans RAW has serious issues as does the operational speed.

So it remains an incredibly niche product for a very insignificant part of the camera market - and how many of those users will shell out £1k on a huge & heavy DSLR like lens? Big seller? Lol

I fear for Fuji.

I hope the new X does not have the X-Trans II sensor, it could be the saving grace.

RedBR
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
In reply to stimpy, 6 months ago

stimpy wrote:

Gaijin Tourist wrote:

While the inevitable shaking out of Fujifilm's lesser product lines is similar to all the other manufacturers' moves in the face of shrinking P+S sales, this lens, the newly-expanded X lens roadmap, and their continuing large program of camera firmware updates show Fuji to be moving at a pace unmatched by anyone else in birthing an entire X system right before our eyes.

Nikon is still missing some lenses in their DX range, Sony and Panasonic often seem to be waiting on the other one to fill holes, or of course Sony on its own has long been the brunt of the 'great cameras, where's the lenses?' discussions.

When and if an X 'DSLR-ish' body is realized, and should that camera incorporate an OVF / EVF selector in that style of body, it would be a real coup. Even without that, that type of body would provide the ultimate 'hat trick': A dslr-style body, a rangefinder-style body, and a XE style body, all using the same lenses, never been done before.
JW

And still nobody buys them because X-Trans RAW has serious issues as does the operational speed.

So it remains an incredibly niche product for a very insignificant part of the camera market - and how many of those users will shell out £1k on a huge & heavy DSLR like lens? Big seller? Lol

I fear for Fuji.

I hope the new X does not have the X-Trans II sensor, it could be the saving grace.

I think that the new fuji 56mm f1.2 lens will be the most wanted mirrorless camera portrait lens.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to RedBR, 6 months ago

RedBR wrote:

stimpy wrote:

Gaijin Tourist wrote:

JW

I fear for Fuji.

I think that the new fuji 56mm f1.2 lens will be the most wanted mirrorless camera portrait lens.

...made by Fuji.

Chris Dodkin
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,882Gear list
Like?
In reply to draculr, 6 months ago

draculr wrote:

Yea, whilst it is cool that they're releasing such a lens it definitely cannot compete with the Canon 85mm 1.2 as much as their marketing may soon suggest otherwise.

I'll shoot a direct comparison between the two lenses when the Fuji is released - we'll see exactly how they stack up in actual use.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dodkin/
The future is just a click away...

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
malcolml1
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
In reply to Chris Dodkin, 6 months ago

Sure , from a DoF perspective it may be "equivalent" to a 1.8 FF lens.....but, from a light gathering perspective it's still a 1.2 lens.....

Malcolm

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,120Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robert Garcia NYC, 6 months ago

Robert Garcia NYC wrote:

not really your not factoring in the extra real estate on the sensor, which is gathering light. So, it's an f 1.8.

No, f/stop and focal length are physical properties of the lens that never change on any sensor size.

f/1.2 means at the same shutter speed on any system means the intensity and duration of the light will be the same.  The exposure of the sensor will be the same.  Ignoring transmission losses.

However, the larger sensor catches more total light, hence the term equivalent.  This lens is about equivalent to an 85mm f/1.8 used on full frame.

Amount of light available for autofocus on the 56mm f/1.2 will in fact be greater.  The downside with large sensors is you start to get very dim viewfinders.  Look at old view cameras, very little light to focus with.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to RedBR, 6 months ago

RedBR wrote:

stimpy wrote:

Gaijin Tourist wrote:

JW

I fear for Fuji.

I doubt that it will sell in high numbers in the short term, Fuji might have picked up a lot of new users in the past 6 months due to all of their offers but some of those users are unlikely to spend this much on a lens.

Long term things might be different depending on what they follow up the X-Pro1/X-E1 with

wchutt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,217Gear list
Like?

I'm calling my local camera shop (as soon as they open after our arctic storm) to pre-order this lens.

wchutt's gear list:wchutt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +20 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

First sample(s) here: http://instagram.com/nathanelson bit small on Instagram, but as expect from Nathan, totally awesome photos.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Bill Robb, 6 months ago

Bill Robb wrote:

LWS2013 wrote:

a l b e r t wrote:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf56mmf12_r/specifications/

Weight 405g (XF23 1.4 weight: 300g, Canon 85 1.2 weight: 1025g)

From the MTF charts, it looks like wide open sharpness is about the same as 23 f1.4.

And price is more reasonable ($999), not $1299 as someone predicted.

since the 85mm eqv is primarily a portrait focal length one would be shooting this for DoF rather than available light, since this is an APS-C lens you should really compare it to a FF lens that provides around the same DoF, the Nikon 85mm f1.8G which is rated very highly by Dxo for its sharpness wide open weights 350g and is around the same size as the Fuji 56mm and is close to 1/3rd of the price.

Size/use/weight wise the Fuji 56mm offers little over using a FF DSLR 85mm lens, we will have to wait and see if it's worth the extra 2/3rds cost.

Why do we have to keep reading this tripe? Whatever junk comparisons you want to make, it is still an f/1.2 lens, with all the expenses that go into making an f/1.2 lens. The advantage it offers is it goes onto an X-Mount camera, which are petite and easy to carry, not a bloated up Canon. The extra cost is not in the lens, the extra cost is in having to carry yet a third camera system, and all the expense that goes into it. A Canon lens, no matter what it costs, is a useless paperweight without at least another $1700.00 added in for a body to support it. By my math, that makes the Fuji at least $1200.00 less expensive than the Canon lens.

well I was referring to Nikon and price wise you can buy a D610 + 85 1.8G for less than a X-E2 + 56 1.2, the Nikon also has better DR and ISO performance plus more feature although the Nikon 85 combo is around 400g heavier, the X-E1 is slimmer and shorter but there is only 12mm width difference, in hand and in use there really isn't much difference in size.

I should also mention that I wasn't the one who originally compared the 56mm to a FF 85mm in this thread, I only responded to the discussion.

draculr
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chris Dodkin, 6 months ago

Chris Dodkin wrote:

draculr wrote:

Yea, whilst it is cool that they're releasing such a lens it definitely cannot compete with the Canon 85mm 1.2 as much as their marketing may soon suggest otherwise.

I'll shoot a direct comparison between the two lenses when the Fuji is released - we'll see exactly how they stack up in actual use.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dodkin/
The future is just a click away...

I eagerly await it!

draculr's gear list:draculr's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A
samhain
Senior MemberPosts: 1,105
Like?
In reply to D 503, 6 months ago

D 503 wrote:

Too expensive for an7 blade design. It is not even weather sealed.

Yeah I'm not thrilled about the 7 blade design, rounded or not.

That's not what I want in a portrait lens. Not to say the bokeh won't be good because it only has 7 blades. But still... It's kind of a let down on paper, especially considering how long we've waited for a dedicated portrait lens from Fuji. It's clearly a cost cutting decision, and I thought this would be a flagship lens, if not THE flagship lens.

Hopefully the bokeh doesn't suffer. That would be tragic.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to DJF77, 6 months ago

DJF77 wrote:

you know Fuji are on to a good thing when the Canon / Nikon guys come onto the Fuji thread to declare that an unreleased lens is too expensive, will have poor bokeh, has no weight saving. And my favourite ..... It's not really an F1.2 aperture (duh) . & to top it off we have quips like 'Fuji skin tones are horrible' ... that may be your opinion, bit it is widely recognised that the opposite is more correct.

Honestly, just enjoy you Canon / Nikon & don't let the green eyed monster control you!

well of course f1.2 is f1.2 but the DoF when compare with a FF camera and lens is not the same, that is the point being made and that is only because the OP compared the Fuji 56 to the Canon 85 f1.2.

Many times in this forum people have complained about skin tones from the X sensors, so I'm not the first and I doubt I'll be the last.

out of focus rendering isn't that great from the Fuji lenses I've used, the 56 might be better, we will have to wait and see.

For an APS-C lens yes the 56mm is quite expensive

57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,316Gear list
Like?
In reply to Asylum Photo, 6 months ago

Asylum Photo wrote:

Wow. There's no pleasing anyone in this forum. It's not fast enough, it's not light enough, it's not cheap enough. Every time.

When the usual suspects come on here telling us how awful it all is, we know that we should probably pre-order to avoid the stampede when it comes out.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?
In reply to LWS2013, 6 months ago

LWS2013 wrote:

Bill Robb wrote:

well I was referring to Nikon and price wise you can buy a D610 + 85 1.8G for less than a X-E2 + 56 1.2, the Nikon also has better DR and ISO performance plus more feature although the Nikon 85 combo is around 400g heavier, the X-E1 is slimmer and shorter but there is only 12mm width difference, in hand and in use there really isn't much difference in size.

But you are still telling us that a person who is not using a particular brand would be better off spending a bunch of money on a camera body and lens from a brand he is not using rather than just buying a lens for a brand he is using.

You didn't do well in economics, did you?

I should also mention that I wasn't the one who originally compared the 56mm to a FF 85mm in this thread, I only responded to the discussion.

Doesn't really matter does it?

Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?
In reply to samhain, 6 months ago

samhain wrote:

D 503 wrote:

Too expensive for an7 blade design. It is not even weather sealed.

Yeah I'm not thrilled about the 7 blade design, rounded or not.

That's not what I want in a portrait lens. Not to say the bokeh won't be good because it only has 7 blades. But still... It's kind of a let down on paper, especially considering how long we've waited for a dedicated portrait lens from Fuji. It's clearly a cost cutting decision, and I thought this would be a flagship lens, if not THE flagship lens.

Hopefully the bokeh doesn't suffer. That would be tragic.

Wait and see on that one. I've seen some very good bokeh indeed from lenses with surprisingly few blades that were shaped to maintain a round aperture, and very bad bokeh from lenses that had so many blades that the aperture had no choice but to stay round. Bokeh is about a lot more than the number of aperture blades.

Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?

Can I interrupt the bickering (which I have contributed to) for a minute and just say that 85mm f/1.8 FF images on Flickr look fantastic? A lot of my shots don't need thin DOF, but when you need it, you need it.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=85mm+f%2F1.8

This lens is going to be a ton of fun.

hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169
Like?
In reply to malcolml1, 6 months ago

malcolml1 wrote:

Sure , from a DoF perspective it may be "equivalent" to a 1.8 FF lens.....but, from a light gathering perspective it's still a 1.2 lens.....

Malcolm

Nope. It gathers the same amount of light as an 85/1.8. Do you think my f/2.0 HTC phone camera gathers as much light as the Fuji 18/2.0?

Bernie Ess
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,908Gear list
Like?
In reply to LWS2013, 6 months ago
I shoot only RAW and without a single doubt Nikon is the better system for this IMO with the Fuji being the worst, skin tones are inconsistant and often horrid from the Fuji X, now if Fuji dropped the X sensor then things might well be different.

Then you may do something wrong. Do you have some "horrid samples" from the Fuji X online somewhere? I'd be curious to see them.

Colour engine of the d800 is a bit less unpleasant than older Nikon models, but still not up to Canon or Fuji.

-- hide signature --

'All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice.' (Elliot Erwitt)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads