XF56 f1.2 released and specs

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,529Gear list
Like?
Re: XF56 f1.2 released and specs
In reply to zenpmd, 7 months ago

zenpmd wrote:

This should go without saying, but 1.2 obviously allows you to use it in very low light, so in that sense it is an improvement over FF 1.8 85mm (especially as Fuji is close to comparable to FF for noise).

No doubt about it, this lens is one stop faster than an f1.8 lens.

bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
a l b e r t
Senior MemberPosts: 1,275Gear list
Like?
In reply to ejw07, 7 months ago

ejw07 wrote:

Albert give them time they realize they are missing out, Nikon is dying, Canon has no road map.. yet

This is a bit OT:

I still use my D3s, but the latest Nikon offering is not attractive to me.

I want a Nikon that has the D4 AF module, but 24Mpix, and light weight.  DR like that of Sony/Fuji sensor, but high ISO noise like that of D4.

I also want a crisp shutter sound, and low black out time.  The D610 and D800 do not interest me.  D800's per pixel sharpness does not look all that great to me.

Thought about the Df, but the price is too much, and only 16Mpix.

Nikon D3s' skin tone is great if there is sufficient light (such as using a bounce flash indoor).  It means you have to work with a narrower DR by providing the extra lightings.  If shot with 50 1.4 indoor for example, the Fuji's OOC JPEG skin tone blows the D3s away.

This is why I stay with Fuji X.

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D3S Fujifilm X-E1 +7 more
Robert Garcia NYC
Contributing MemberPosts: 938Gear list
Like?
In reply to zenpmd, 7 months ago

zenpmd wrote:

This should go without saying, but 1.2 obviously allows you to use it in very low light, so in that sense it is an improvement over FF 1.8 85mm (especially as Fuji is close to comparable to FF for noise).

6d focuses with very low light even with the F4 lens on it equivalent to 2.8 on a fuji (bigger sensor more light gather just compare the size of it). The high price is for metal construction and made in Japan the CaNikons equivalents are about $300 more or less. Nevertheless, I am sure it will be fine lens. Let's wait and see the bokeh. Fuji needs to make cheaper alternatives made of plastic to bring those prices down.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to a l b e r t, 7 months ago

a l b e r t wrote:

LWS2013 wrote:

a l b e r t wrote:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf56mmf12_r/specifications/

Weight 405g (XF23 1.4 weight: 300g, Canon 85 1.2 weight: 1025g)

From the MTF charts, it looks like wide open sharpness is about the same as 23 f1.4.

And price is more reasonable ($999), not $1299 as someone predicted.

since the 85mm eqv is primarily a portrait focal length one would be shooting this for DoF rather than available light, since this is an APS-C lens you should really compare it to a FF lens that provides around the same DoF, the Nikon 85mm f1.8G which is rated very highly by Dxo for its sharpness wide open weights 350g and is around the same size as the Fuji 56mm and is close to 1/3rd of the price.

Size/use/weight wise the Fuji 56mm offers little over using a FF DSLR 85mm lens, we will have to wait and see if it's worth the extra 2/3rds cost.

One of the reasons why people in the Canikon camps eventually moved to FF is because Canikon never try their best to release high quality APS-C size lenses. Fuji deserves a pat in the shoulder for releasing the world's first high quality 23mm f1.4 APS-C lens and now the world's first (high quality) 56mm f1.2 APS-C lens.

I don't know why people keep comparing this lens to a f1.8 FF lens. As my other thread has shown, the rendering of bokeh has more to do with the lens design rather than just the aperture value. So yes, the DoF is the same as a f1.8 FF lens, but it doesn't tell you how it renders the bokeh. And at the end of the day, it is still a f1.2 lens as far as exposure is concerned.

I have high hopes that the 56mm will have excellent out of focus rendering and if Fuji ever put a decent sensor in an X body I might buy one and I'm looking forward to their Christmas 2014 free lens deal on the 23/56

That said current Fuji lenses don't have out of focus rendering to write home about

Indeed an f1.2 lens is still an f1.2 with regards to exposure but not all ISO's are equal

Robert Garcia NYC
Contributing MemberPosts: 938Gear list
Like?
In reply to LWS2013, 7 months ago

LWS2013 wrote:

a l b e r t wrote:

LWS2013 wrote:

a l b e r t wrote:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf56mmf12_r/specifications/

From the MTF charts, it looks like wide open sharpness is about the same as 23 f1.4.

since the 85mm eqv is primarily a portrait focal length one would be shooting this for DoF rather than available light, since this is an APS-C lens you should really compare it to a FF lens that provides around the same DoF, the Nikon 85mm f1.8G which is rated very highly by Dxo for its sharpness wide open weights 350g and is around the same size as the Fuji 56mm and is close to 1/3rd of the price.

Size/use/weight wise the Fuji 56mm offers little over using a FF DSLR 85mm lens, we will have to wait and see if it's worth the extra 2/3rds cost.

One of the reasons why people in the Canikon camps eventually moved to FF is because Canikon never try their best to release high quality APS-C size lenses. Fuji deserves a pat in the shoulder for releasing the world's first high quality 23mm f1.4 APS-C lens and now the world's first (high quality) 56mm f1.2 APS-C lens.

I don't know why people keep comparing this lens to a f1.8 FF lens. As my other thread has shown, the rendering of bokeh has more to do with the lens design rather than just the aperture value. So yes, the DoF is the same as a f1.8 FF lens, but it doesn't tell you how it renders the bokeh. And at the end of the day, it is still a f1.2 lens as far as exposure is concerned.

I have high hopes that the 56mm will have excellent out of focus rendering and if Fuji ever put a decent sensor in an X body I might buy one and I'm looking forward to their Christmas 2014 free lens deal on the 23/56

That said current Fuji lenses don't have out of focus rendering to write home about

Indeed an f1.2 lens is still an f1.2 with regards to exposure but not all ISO's are equal

not really your not factoring in the extra real estate on the sensor, which is gathering light. So, it's an f 1.8.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

While the inevitable shaking out of Fujifilm's lesser product lines is similar to all the other manufacturers' moves in the face of shrinking P+S sales, this lens, the newly-expanded X lens roadmap, and their continuing large program of camera firmware updates show Fuji to be moving at a pace unmatched by anyone else in birthing an entire X system right before our eyes.

Nikon is still missing some lenses in their DX range, Sony and Panasonic often seem to be waiting on the other one to fill holes, or of course Sony on its own has long been the brunt of the 'great cameras, where's the lenses?'  discussions.

When and if an X 'DSLR-ish' body is realized, and should that camera incorporate an OVF / EVF selector in that style of body, it would be a real coup.  Even without that, that type of body would provide the ultimate 'hat trick':  A dslr-style body, a rangefinder-style body, and a XE style body, all using the same lenses, never been done before.
JW

draculr
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?
In reply to ejw07, 7 months ago

ejw07 wrote:

Hows yer back.. my back is strong .. figures..

What does my back have to do with it? I find a 5d3 and 85mm 1.2 light weight though if that's what you're getting at. Nice to grip too.

draculr's gear list:draculr's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +1 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Bernie Ess, 7 months ago

Bernie Ess wrote:

LWS2013 wrote:

You use a Fuji X beause you want to use a mirrorlesscamera, right? Just compare the whole setup in terms of weight, and you surely will find the DSLR kit is 2-2,5x heavier and bulkier.

Then consider price: Yes the 56 is more expensive than the 85/1,8, but what about the camera + lens kit?

X-E2 + 56 1,2 weighs 700g and costs roughly 1900,

d610 + 85/1,8 costs 1995 + the 495 for the lens: 2490 (BH prices today) and weighs 1060g.

You may very well prefer to have 2 systems and pick your favorites for each, that will cost you much more than either one and probably make you concentrate more to technology than photography, but for those who want one system and like the Fuji X system, your comparisions are not very valid.

One last thing: I had a d700 and have looked at thousands and thousand of Nikon pics, I have yet to see one Nikon camera that produces color/ skin tones that come close to what Fuji delivers effortlessly.

THis was the reason why I ultimately sold my otherwise excellent d700. Such a good camera body, but loud, heavy and colors that always left me slightly unsatisfied.

Bernie

-- hide signature --

'All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice.' (Elliot Erwitt)

well at this moment I've a couple of D800E's and a bunch of f1.4 and f2 primes, a Sony A7/R + 35/55 Zeiss lenses, the Voigtlander 35 f1.2 II and 50 1.5 VM, 75 1.8, plus an X-E1 + 18-55, 18 & 35, I shoot a lot of portraits in a number of different lighting conditions, sometimes with flash and sometimes under available light, I shoot only RAW and without a single doubt Nikon is the better system for this IMO with the Fuji being the worst, skin tones are inconsistant and often horrid from the Fuji X, now if Fuji dropped the X sensor then things might well be different.

I've had the D700, D3 and D3s and they do not compare to the D800E, not even close.

I like the X-E1 with the 18-55 for its size and image quality (OOC Jpegs) and if for nothing else its fun to use, I just hope that Fuji stick with this same body style with their FF system.

D 503
Junior MemberPosts: 46Gear list
Like?
In reply to bigpigbig, 7 months ago

Too expensive for an7 blade design.  It is not even weather sealed.

-- hide signature --

Fear is the only darkness

D 503's gear list:D 503's gear list
Olympus E-1 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 +2 more
j0llysnowman
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?

LWS2013 wrote:

Ehh the difference in depth of field between 56/1.2 on APS-C and 85/1.2 on FF is a matter of centimeters. People who care about that probably shouldn't consider a crop sensor system in the first place.

j0llysnowman's gear list:j0llysnowman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake
Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?

LWS2013 wrote:

a l b e r t wrote:

Why do we have to keep reading this tripe? Whatever junk comparisons you want to make, it is still an f/1.2 lens, with all the expenses that go into making an f/1.2 lens. The advantage it offers is it goes onto an X-Mount camera, which are petite and easy to carry, not a bloated up Canon. The extra cost is not in the lens, the extra cost is in having to carry yet a third camera system, and all the expense that goes into it. A Canon lens, no matter what it costs, is a useless paperweight without at least another $1700.00 added in for a body to support it. By my math, that makes the Fuji at least $1200.00 less expensive than the Canon lens.

Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?
In reply to Robert Garcia NYC, 7 months ago

Robert Garcia NYC wrote:

not really your not factoring in the extra real estate on the sensor, which is gathering light. So, it's an f 1.8.

Um, no. The maximum aperture is determined by the diameter of the aperture compared to the focal length, and is a mathematical formula that is determined by those two, and only those two factors. You are using the "new math" where 2+2=3.

Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?

Wow. There's no pleasing anyone in this forum. It's not fast enough, it's not light enough, it's not cheap enough. Every time.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?

LWS2013 wrote:

Lol, he's baaaaaack!  And he's repeating the same old complaints.  Not sure why this guy bothers with the Fuji forum, except to stir people up.

Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?
In reply to Red5TX, 7 months ago

Red5TX wrote:

LWS2013 wrote:

Lol, he's baaaaaack! And he's repeating the same old complaints. Not sure why this guy bothers with the Fuji forum, except to stir people up.

I don't know why more people don't use the "ignore" function. I dislike when people quote him all over the place haha.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
a l b e r t
Senior MemberPosts: 1,275Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bill Robb, 7 months ago

Bill Robb wrote:

Robert Garcia NYC wrote:

Um, no. The maximum aperture is determined by the diameter of the aperture compared to the focal length, and is a mathematical formula that is determined by those two, and only those two factors. You are using the "new math" where 2+2=3.

+1

People just never learn.

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D3S Fujifilm X-E1 +7 more
DJF77
Regular MemberPosts: 362Gear list
Like?
In reply to Asylum Photo, 7 months ago

you know Fuji are on to a good thing when the Canon / Nikon guys come onto the Fuji thread to declare that an unreleased lens is too expensive, will have poor bokeh, has no weight saving. And my favourite ..... It's not really an F1.2 aperture (duh) .  & to top it off we have quips like 'Fuji skin tones are horrible' ... that may be your opinion, bit it is widely recognised that the opposite is more correct.

Honestly, just enjoy you Canon / Nikon & don't let the green eyed monster control you!

Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,657Gear list
Like?

a l b e r t wrote:

This looks to be a stellar lens, I'm tempted to pre-order and I've never done that before.

Non-Fuji folks (usual suspects) have gone into attack mode over a lens announcement in a matter of a few hours.  That's always an indication that this will be a big seller IMO.

I used the EF 85 1.8 for 5 years on APS and FF.  I just sold it because it was of no use to me on an X-E2, and it wasn't as sharp as my Fuji 23mm 1.4 wide open until at 2.0 or higher.  And the idea of putting the super expensive, huge, slow Canon 85 1.2 on a small Fuji is simply silly and sound like sour grapes.

Why not come up with some credible rants once someone has actually touched or used this new lens??

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
BarnET
Senior MemberPosts: 1,317Gear list
Like?
In reply to DJF77, 7 months ago

DJF77 wrote:

you know Fuji are on to a good thing when the Canon / Nikon guys come onto the Fuji thread to declare that an unreleased lens is too expensive, will have poor bokeh, has no weight saving. And my favourite ..... It's not really an F1.2 aperture (duh) . & to top it off we have quips like 'Fuji skin tones are horrible' ... that may be your opinion, bit it is widely recognised that the opposite is more correct.

Honestly, just enjoy you Canon / Nikon & don't let the green eyed monster control you!

When i was racing my father said.

"The harder they complain about you the better you do".

This seems to be the truth in many cases.

Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
In reply to Asylum Photo, 7 months ago

Asylum Photo wrote:

Red5TX wrote:

LWS2013 wrote:

Lol, he's baaaaaack! And he's repeating the same old complaints. Not sure why this guy bothers with the Fuji forum, except to stir people up.

I don't know why more people don't use the "ignore" function. I dislike when people quote him all over the place haha.

Excellent point.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads