Started 8 months ago | Discussions
DT200
Contributing MemberPosts: 835
Like?
Re: Stagnation of New APS-C Models?
In reply to Dennis, 8 months ago

Dennis wrote:

larrytusaz wrote:

or that it may end up being more like the A3000 which is NOT what I am looking for.

Judging from the rapid, heavy discounting on the A3000, I wouldn't bet that Sony sees it as the future of e-mount.

There is a great firesale going on with the A3000.  It has some real quirks, but performs as good as any APS NEX.

Tips?

Hold your horses, as my dad used to say. Which ILC manufacturer is churning out upgrades at a rapid pace ? Aside from model year tweaks in the entry level range, ILCs of all types (DSLRs included) aren't seeing frequent upgrades. They're mature products, and because they're mature products, sales are in decline. Nobody should be in a rush to throw an upgrade out the door these days.

I mentioned Canon in a different post.  The T2i and T5i are still very similar.  Like the 5r and the 5t, the T4i and T5i are almost the same and not worthy of an "upgrade".  It is only a way for manufacturers to sell an older camera at a "new" price.  Luckily, if you are smart you can get the older models at a big discount and not miss anything.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rla1022
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?
In reply to DT200, 8 months ago
Tonkotsu Ramen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,151Gear list
Like?

DT200 wrote:

Dennis wrote:

larrytusaz wrote:

or that it may end up being more like the A3000 which is NOT what I am looking for.

Judging from the rapid, heavy discounting on the A3000, I wouldn't bet that Sony sees it as the future of e-mount.

There is a great firesale going on with the A3000.  It has some real quirks, but performs as good as any APS NEX.

this is the year 2014, most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between any APS-C cameras. performing well isn't enough anymore. Otherwise, it would have kept it's retail pricing.

Tonkotsu Ramen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,151Gear list
Like?
Re: Unfortunately...

DT200 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

I have the Sony NEX-F3 (and Nikon J1). Maybe it's me, but it seems like forever since new models have been announced other than the A3000 and A7/r--the former isn't really what I think of in terms of NEX, the latter are full-frame & as great as smaller full-frame models are, I think I'm one of many that appreciate what APS-C NEX models like the F3, 6 and 7 etc bring in terms of high image quality in a smaller package.

Is it just my imagination? I'm not dis-satisfied with my F3 (other than I wish you could use the command dial to more quickly choose AF points, not just the 4-way part of it) but the lack of new models can sort of send a "vibe" that the system is not likely to still be around in 3-odd years or so, or that it may end up being more like the A3000 which is NOT what I am looking for.

Tips?

-- hide signature --

LRH

You have plenty of vocal companions who keep creating these threads. You start with APSc to complain about only 11 models in 3.5 years that E-mount has been around...

Really this is misleading.  For example the NEX 5t is almost a rebadged 5r with some new firmware.  The 5r was a 5n with a new sensor, but that sensor offered no real improvement.

Comparing the original NEX 5 to the current 5t overall there is not much of a difference except they old 5 is a bargain.

Don't worry, Canon does the same thing.  The old T2i and latest T5i perform almost exactly the same.

nfc is a great feature if you actually use it. I just tap my rx100ii to my my galaxy note and it either transfers the picture  i'm viewing, or starts remote shooting.

Obviously not for everyone, thats why the previous models were selling at significant discounts prior to the new models coming out.

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,191Gear list
Like?

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

I have the Sony NEX-F3 (and Nikon J1). Maybe it's me, but it seems like forever since new models have been announced other than the A3000 and A7/r--the former isn't really what I think of in terms of NEX, the latter are full-frame & as great as smaller full-frame models are, I think I'm one of many that appreciate what APS-C NEX models like the F3, 6 and 7 etc bring in terms of high image quality in a smaller package.

Is it just my imagination? I'm not dis-satisfied with my F3 (other than I wish you could use the command dial to more quickly choose AF points, not just the 4-way part of it) but the lack of new models can sort of send a "vibe" that the system is not likely to still be around in 3-odd years or so, or that it may end up being more like the A3000 which is NOT what I am looking for.

Tips?

-- hide signature --

LRH

You have plenty of vocal companions who keep creating these threads. You start with APSc to complain about only 11 models in 3.5 years that E-mount has been around...

Really this is misleading.  For example the NEX 5t is almost a rebadged 5r with some new firmware.  The 5r was a 5n with a new sensor, but that sensor offered no real improvement.

Comparing the original NEX 5 to the current 5t overall there is not much of a difference except they old 5 is a bargain.

Don't worry, Canon does the same thing.  The old T2i and latest T5i perform almost exactly the same.

Who doesn't? You are basically making the point about expecting frequent launches... pointless!

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,032Gear list
Like?
Re: Mike: just flood the market with mostrosities like a3000...
In reply to abortabort, 8 months ago

abortabort wrote:

abortabort wrote:

I STILL can't understand all the doomsday talk about Traditional NEX cameras'? I even created an irony thread about it that someone got so upset about they request DPR remove it.

It wasn't an 'irony thread', it was a blatent personal attack on me

I requested that it be removed for this reason and the Mods obviously agreed as that is what happened

It is a mistake for you to bring the subject up again

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! Campaign for *REAL* NEX replacement bodies

It didn't even mention you, it pointed out the irony of your so called 'signs'...

But I suppose there are people whack enough to think god talks to them through toast...

A mistake? How so? Is that a threat?

Give it a break. You're a fool to be so trusting. We wouldn't have had this concern if Sony had not opened the debut of the A7 and A7R saying NEX is gone with no further information. That and the release of the A3000 for e-mount APS-C was a shock to the system we thought we bought into. I've spent a lot of money on lenses since June and have a vested interested in this system. So kudos to those that have been trying to request clarification from Sony and requesting the form factor we desire.

Sony sacrificed the NEX brand in order to promote interest in full frame which was a rotten thing to do. Many that had plans for expanding their APS-C cameras and lens purchases have been put on hold since Sony wouldn't tell anyone what was going to replace NEX for the past three months. I hope we are pleasantly surprised and will chalk up part of that surprise to the complaints WE have been providing in an attempt to steer Sony in the right direction. If this works out, I'm sure you will be right their with EG and Q with an "I told you so" attitude which is juvenile at best. I personally don't understand those that jump to defend Sony at every chance. What's the motivation for doing this? I'm not going down the paid shill road but the intense fanboism is questionable even for a Sony camera fan like me.

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
captura
Forum ProPosts: 14,039Gear list
Like?
In reply to larrytusaz, 8 months ago

larrytusaz wrote:

Tips?

-- hide signature --

LRH

Larry, your's is a good and valid query.

I also have an N1 J1 and they're truly great cameras. Sonyshine has abandoned the Sony systems for what indeed may be greener fields in Nikon 1. They have a new V3 model coming as you probably know. Plus the dimininuation of the NEX forum is disgusting and maybe not worth tthe trouble. It takes away from the pleasure, for me, of owning Sony NEX cameras.

If you are not ready to take on the the Harley-Davidson of cameras, the FF A7 duo whole-hog, so to speak, why not just build on the N1 system?

It is very questionable as to whether we shall ever see any more NEX-sixe APSC cameras from Sony, ever again. The current supply of NEX's seems to be petering out.

Steve

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
EinsteinsGhost
Like?
Imagine that!
In reply to captura, 8 months ago

larrytusaz wrote:

Tips?

-- hide signature --

LRH

I also have an N1 J1 and they're truly great cameras. Sonyshine has abandoned the Sony systems for what indeed may be greener fields in Nikon 1. They have a new V3 model coming as you probably know. Plus the dimininuation of the NEX forum is disgusting and maybe not worth tthe trouble. It takes away from the pleasure, for me, of owning Sony NEX cameras.

If you are not ready to take on the the Harley-Davidson of cameras, the FF A7 duo whole-hog, so to speak, why not just build on the N1 system?

It is very questionable as to whether we shall ever see any more NEX-sixe APSC cameras from Sony, ever again. The current supply of NEX's seems to be petering out.

Steve

Sony should follow Nikon's "excellent" and frequent updates on 1-series rather than infrequent updates that plagues E-mount/APSc... never mind that Nikon has managed to keep the hump off its EVF model too.

Should get one to take sea view images of my property in Kansas.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,419Gear list
Like?
In reply to PVCdroid, 8 months ago

PVCdroid wrote:

abortabort wrote:

abortabort wrote:

I STILL can't understand all the doomsday talk about Traditional NEX cameras'? I even created an irony thread about it that someone got so upset about they request DPR remove it.

I requested that it be removed for this reason and the Mods obviously agreed as that is what happened

-- hide signature --

It didn't even mention you, it pointed out the irony of your so called 'signs'...

But I suppose there are people whack enough to think god talks to them through toast...

Give it a break. You're a fool to be so trusting. We wouldn't have had this concern if Sony had not opened the debut of the A7 and A7R saying NEX is gone with no further information. That and the release of the A3000 for e-mount APS-C was a shock to the system we thought we bought into. I've spent a lot of money on lenses since June and have a vested interested in this system. So kudos to those that have been trying to request clarification from Sony and requesting the form factor we desire.

Sony sacrificed the NEX brand in order to promote interest in full frame which was a rotten thing to do. Many that had plans for expanding their APS-C cameras and lens purchases have been put on hold since Sony wouldn't tell anyone what was going to replace NEX for the past three months. I hope we are pleasantly surprised and will chalk up part of that surprise to the complaints WE have been providing in an attempt to steer Sony in the right direction. If this works out, I'm sure you will be right their with EG and Q with an "I told you so" attitude which is juvenile at best. I personally don't understand those that jump to defend Sony at every chance. What's the motivation for doing this? I'm not going down the paid shill road but the intense fanboism is questionable even for a Sony camera fan like me.

lol I like how everything we predicted is coming true exactly as we said it would, and yet you're trying to claim credit for "raising concerns" to keep Sony "in the right direction".  Newsflash bucko: Given the timing, it's likely work on the 3-successor began right after the 5T  (if not before) and whiny DPR threads had absolutely zero impact on any design decisions at Sony Japan.  Shocking, I know.

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
EinsteinsGhost
Like?
The droids...
In reply to quezra, 8 months ago

PVCdroid wrote:

abortabort wrote:

abortabort wrote:

-- hide signature --

lol I like how everything we predicted is coming true exactly as we said it would, and yet you're trying to claim credit for "raising concerns" to keep Sony "in the right direction". Newsflash bucko: Given the timing, it's likely work on the 3-successor began right after the 5T (if not before) and whiny DPR threads had absolutely zero impact on any design decisions at Sony Japan. Shocking, I know.

This one is already on the defensive... beware that you remind the bunch of their stupid arguments.

parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,709
Like?
In reply to PVCdroid, 8 months ago

PVCdroid wrote:

Sony sacrificed the NEX brand in order to promote interest in full frame which was a rotten thing to do. Many that had plans for expanding their APS-C cameras and lens purchases have been put on hold since Sony wouldn't tell anyone what was going to replace NEX for the past three months

Very well put!

These statements are facts, not opinion

Sony have behaved badly towards their existing NEX customers since the launch of the A3000 and I'm hoping for a (somewhat humble) clarification tonight on their part of what the future holds for us. The fanatical support for Sony in some quarters of this forum in the face of this behaviour is mystifying and indeed somewhat suspicious

Now, with this press conference, Sony have an opportunity to restore their existing customers' trust in them - I hope they take that opportunity

-- hide signature --

DT200
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 8 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Tips?

-- hide signature --

LRH

Really this is misleading. For example the NEX 5t is almost a rebadged 5r with some new firmware. The 5r was a 5n with a new sensor, but that sensor offered no real improvement.

Don't worry, Canon does the same thing. The old T2i and latest T5i perform almost exactly the same.

... the point about expecting frequent launches... pointless!

It is not pointless for Sony.  They can't sell the NEX 5 for full price anymore, but add some little feature like NFS and they can sell the same camera at full price again.  Canon knows this too.  They are trying to make money.  I do agree that releases like the 5t are almost (not completely) pointless for buyers..

DT200
Like?
IF they update the sensor, the Nikon 1s will attrack a lot here

captura wrote:

larrytusaz wrote:

Tips?

-- hide signature --

LRH

Steve

IF they update the sensor, the Nikon 1s will attrack a lot here.   Imagine the Nikon 1 with the RX100II sensor.  Sony traded their technology to Aptina, so it is possible.  The key word is "IF".

EinsteinsGhost
Like?

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Tips?

-- hide signature --

LRH

Really this is misleading. For example the NEX 5t is almost a rebadged 5r with some new firmware. The 5r was a 5n with a new sensor, but that sensor offered no real improvement.

Don't worry, Canon does the same thing. The old T2i and latest T5i perform almost exactly the same.

... the point about expecting frequent launches... pointless!

It is not pointless for Sony.  They can't sell the NEX 5 for full price anymore, but add some little feature like NFS and they can sell the same camera at full price again.  Canon knows this too.  They are trying to make money.  I do agree that releases like the 5t are almost (not completely) pointless for buyers..

So, who gets it right? How frequently do manufacturers need to refresh to get these consumers who would rather not spend... to spend? What is too long for a model, especially higher end, to reach obsolence and dated?

davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 3,976
Like?
In reply to parallaxproblem, 8 months ago

parallaxproblem wrote:

PVCdroid wrote:

Sony sacrificed the NEX brand in order to promote interest in full frame which was a rotten thing to do. Many that had plans for expanding their APS-C cameras and lens purchases have been put on hold since Sony wouldn't tell anyone what was going to replace NEX for the past three months

Very well put!

Sony have behaved badly towards their existing NEX customers since the launch of the A3000 and I'm hoping for a (somewhat humble) clarification tonight on their part of what the future holds for us. The fanatical support for Sony in some quarters of this forum in the face of this behaviour is mystifying and indeed somewhat suspicious

Now, with this press conference, Sony have an opportunity to restore their existing customers' trust in them - I hope they take that opportunity

-- hide signature --

Ya, I had a Sony rep come to my house today and slap me in the face. I feel so violated.;-)

Seriously people take things so seriously. It's just a company and just a camera.

People really don't pay attention. Sony simply said it was dropping the NEX name, not the line all together.

In three or four years when I look to change from my current NEX-6, I will see what Sony has available.  If nothing appeals to me, I will simply find something else.

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug. Former 3 and F3 owner. Current proud 6 owner.
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

captura
Like?
In reply to Mel Snyder, 8 months ago

Mel Snyder wrote:

Greynerd wrote:

I would rather they concentrated on improving firmware on the current models.

Being able to have the level indicator and the histogram on the screen at the same time in my Nex 6 would be a nice start.

larrytusaz wrote:

Tips?

-- hide signature --

LRH

Might be a nice idea, but one always needs to put oneself in Sony's shoes - they would concentrate first on a firmware update that would "fix" perceived AF issues with the A& series, for their new flagship. Those of us with NEX-6s need to understand your recommended "fix" would please a very tiny number of people owning a camera that may not get a refresh.

They may unveil a surprise this week at CES.

Mel, you surely must remember all the remonstrances against Sony posted on this NEX forum over the last few years, because the much-expected firmware updates failed to arrive. With a couple of rare excepttions. My point is that Sony was negligent and this, as Parallax has said, points to their not caring much about their customers. This in contrast to Fuji who have even posted firmware updates for discontinued products.

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,786Gear list
Like?
re: indeed, their attitudes are pretty bizarre, to say the least :)
In reply to parallaxproblem, 8 months ago

parallaxproblem wrote:

PVCdroid wrote:

Very well put!

-- hide signature --

and although we might know it in few hours (if the rumors are correct), right now it is still not clear WHAT will be the form-factor of that supposed N3 replacement???

The continuity will be very highly welcome, yet for me a real litmus-paper test will be only after I'd see the Nex-7 mk-II keeping the old design, and no-hump = streamlined and elegant body of the N7-classic .

Anyway, I do agree with Pat that if not for the uproar (not only at DPR, there were analogous reactions elsewhere after that pretty dumb decision of S. to kill the Nex name) and protests, there might be not anymore little-brick APS-C bodies from S.

jpr2

captura
Like?
In reply to nevercat, 8 months ago

GROW UP!

nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,340
Like?

captura wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

Greynerd wrote:

I would rather they concentrated on improving firmware on the current models.

Being able to have the level indicator and the histogram on the screen at the same time in my Nex 6 would be a nice start.

larrytusaz wrote:

Tips?

-- hide signature --

LRH

Might be a nice idea, but one always needs to put oneself in Sony's shoes - they would concentrate first on a firmware update that would "fix" perceived AF issues with the A& series, for their new flagship. Those of us with NEX-6s need to understand your recommended "fix" would please a very tiny number of people owning a camera that may not get a refresh.

They may unveil a surprise this week at CES.

Mel, you surely must remember all the remonstrances against Sony posted on this NEX forum over the last few years, because the much-expected firmware updates failed to arrive. With a couple of rare excepttions. My point is that Sony was negligent and this, as Parallax has said, points to their not caring much about their customers. This in contrast to Fuji who have even posted firmware updates for discontinued products.

You know that Sony did just the same with the Nex 5? The offered a FW update when the Nex 5n was already in the shops. They showed that they do care, but people are forgetting the good things... Fuji mentioned that they will come more with FW updates to make people use their cameras longer. I think it is a good thing to do it that way especialy when you can't come with a new camera every 1 to 2 years like Sony does.

It would be nice to get an FW update for my Nex 5, but I don't think it will ever come...

captura
Like?
In reply to Dennis, 8 months ago

Dennis wrote:

larrytusaz wrote:

Tips?

Hold your horses, as my dad used to say. Which ILC manufacturer is churning out upgrades at a rapid pace ? Aside from model year tweaks in the entry level range, ILCs of all types (DSLRs included) aren't seeing frequent upgrades. They're mature products, and because they're mature products, sales are in decline. Nobody should be in a rush to throw an upgrade out the door these days.

Sure, they must really see a great future in making cheapo fake-DSLR's and the selling them at a loss.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads