Stagnation of New APS-C Models?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,659
Like?
Re: Mike: just flood the market with mostrosities like a3000...
In reply to abortabort, 6 months ago

abortabort wrote:

I STILL can't understand all the doomsday talk about Traditional NEX cameras'? I even created an irony thread about it that someone got so upset about they request DPR remove it.

It wasn't an 'irony thread', it was a blatent personal attack on me

I requested that it be removed for this reason and the Mods obviously agreed as that is what happened

It is a mistake for you to bring the subject up again

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! Campaign for *REAL* NEX replacement bodies

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,056Gear list
Like?
In reply to abortabort, 6 months ago

At first I was annoyed at this constant doomsaying but now I almost feel sorry for the people whose miserable lives revolve around panicking about 4 months without a product release portending that the end is nigh. Especially when the two main proponents of APS-C endtimes are NEX-5 series (not 6 or 7!) users and they are the latest APS-C E-mount users to get a body refresh.

The days when Sony was criticised for having too many bodies and too few lenses feel so long ago.

Edit: SAR just claimed the NEX-3 successor will be announced today.

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +7 more
parallaxproblem
Like?
Re: Stagnation of New APS-C Models?
In reply to larrytusaz, 6 months ago

larrytusaz wrote:

I have the Sony NEX-F3 (and Nikon J1). Maybe it's me, but it seems like forever since new models have been announced other than the A3000 and A7/r--the former isn't really what I think of in terms of NEX, the latter are full-frame & as great as smaller full-frame models are, I think I'm one of many that appreciate what APS-C NEX models like the F3, 6 and 7 etc bring in terms of high image quality in a smaller package.

Is it just my imagination? I'm not dis-satisfied with my F3 (other than I wish you could use the command dial to more quickly choose AF points, not just the 4-way part of it) but the lack of new models can sort of send a "vibe" that the system is not likely to still be around in 3-odd years or so, or that it may end up being more like the A3000 which is NOT what I am looking for.

Tips?

-- hide signature --

LRH

Nobody knows, and unfortunately Sony aren't telling

We know that the NEX product name is discontinued, though the implications of that event has not been explained.  We also know that the last NEX camera (NEX-5T) should have had the new Axxxx naming convention (it was supposed to be called the A5000), but it was changed at the last minute back to the NEX name that Sony already knew was about to be dropped.  All we hear in interviews with Sony is 'change change change' but nothing concerning what the future holds for NEX owners

The sad reality is that Sony care little for their existing customers and are only interested in expanding their market to non-Sony owners.  Once you have bought a Sony product you are no longer interesting to the company.  This is difficult to accept as for the 'brand-loyal' it's like hearing that a parent doesn't love them (!) and for others the economic absurdity of such behaviour in alienating loyal customers and destroying 'goodwill' is incomprehensible, but it remains a fact.  A cursory examination of Sony's treatment of their A-mount customers over the last few years, and their reluctance to release new firmwares should remove any lingering doubts over this reality

There are rumours of new launches in the early part of this year so all we can do is either

- wait and see what is going to happen

- find another system where the manufacturer is a bit more 'forthcoming' to their users

Up to you...

-- hide signature --

parallaxproblem
Like?
In reply to quezra, 6 months ago

quezra wrote:

At first I was annoyed at this constant doomsaying but now I almost feel sorry for the people whose miserable lives revolve around panicking about 4 months without a product release portending that the end is nigh. Especially when the two main proponents of APS-C endtimes are NEX-5 series (not 6 or 7!) users and they are the latest APS-C E-mount users to get a body refresh.

The days when Sony was criticised for having too many bodies and too few lenses feel so long ago.

'Pity the fool', eh?  That routine was already tired when Mr T did it thirty years ago!

Hoping for a 'humpless' NEX-3 successor...

-- hide signature --

quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,056Gear list
Like?
In reply to parallaxproblem, 6 months ago

parallaxproblem wrote:

quezra wrote:

'Pity the fool' eh? That routine was already tired when Mr T did it thirty years ago

You poor thing...

Hoping for a 'humpless' NEX-3 successor...

Of course it will be humpless.  Why everyone else but you is so sure and saw no reason to worry was already explained to you a year ago (teehee).  Congratulations on fretting the past few months for no reason whatsoever.

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +7 more
abortabort
Contributing MemberPosts: 881Gear list
Like?

abortabort wrote:

I STILL can't understand all the doomsday talk about Traditional NEX cameras'? I even created an irony thread about it that someone got so upset about they request DPR remove it.

It wasn't an 'irony thread', it was a blatent personal attack on me

I requested that it be removed for this reason and the Mods obviously agreed as that is what happened

It is a mistake for you to bring the subject up again

-- hide signature --

It didn't even mention you, it pointed out the irony of your so called 'signs'...

But I suppose there are people whack enough to think god talks to them through toast...

A mistake? How so? Is that a threat?

abortabort's gear list:abortabort's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7 +32 more
abortabort
Like?
In reply to quezra, 6 months ago

+1,000,000

Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,381Gear list
Like?

I would rather they concentrated on improving firmware on the current models.

Being able to have the level indicator and the histogram on the screen at the same time in my Nex 6 would be a nice start.

larrytusaz wrote:

I have the Sony NEX-F3 (and Nikon J1). Maybe it's me, but it seems like forever since new models have been announced other than the A3000 and A7/r--the former isn't really what I think of in terms of NEX, the latter are full-frame & as great as smaller full-frame models are, I think I'm one of many that appreciate what APS-C NEX models like the F3, 6 and 7 etc bring in terms of high image quality in a smaller package.

Is it just my imagination? I'm not dis-satisfied with my F3 (other than I wish you could use the command dial to more quickly choose AF points, not just the 4-way part of it) but the lack of new models can sort of send a "vibe" that the system is not likely to still be around in 3-odd years or so, or that it may end up being more like the A3000 which is NOT what I am looking for.

Tips?

-- hide signature --

LRH

Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Samsung EX2F Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Pentax X-5 Olympus TG-310 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +6 more
abortabort
Like?

larrytusaz wrote:

Tips?

-- hide signature --

LRH

We know that the NEX product name is discontinued, though the implications of that event has not been explained.  We also know that the last NEX camera (NEX-5T) should have had the new Axxxx naming convention (it was supposed to be called the A5000), but it was changed at the last minute back to the NEX name that Sony already knew was about to be dropped.  All we hear in interviews with Sony is 'change change change' but nothing concerning what the future holds for NEX owners

The sad reality is that Sony care little for their existing customers and are only interested in expanding their market to non-Sony owners.  Once you have bought a Sony product you are no longer interesting to the company.  This is difficult to accept as for the 'brand-loyal' it's like hearing that a parent doesn't love them (!) and for others the economic absurdity of such behaviour in alienating loyal customers and destroying 'goodwill' is incomprehensible, but it remains a fact.  A cursory examination of Sony's treatment of their A-mount customers over the last few years, and their reluctance to release new firmwares should remove any lingering doubts over this reality

There are rumours of new launches in the early part of this year so all we can do is either

- find another system where the manufacturer is a bit more 'forthcoming' to their users

Up to you...

-- hide signature --

The end is nigh! The END is NIGH!

I'm sure you'll find more 'signs' tomorrow when the new NEX-3 replacement is announced, probably having a multi-interface shoe will be your pointing as 'further evidence' of whatever it is you bang on about, because the 'NEX's back in my day had the accessory port' etc.

Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,438Gear list
Like?
In reply to Greynerd, 6 months ago

Greynerd wrote:

Being able to have the level indicator and the histogram on the screen at the same time in my Nex 6 would be a nice start.

larrytusaz wrote:

Tips?

-- hide signature --

LRH

Might be a nice idea, but one always needs to put oneself in Sony's shoes - they would concentrate first on a firmware update that would "fix" perceived AF issues with the A& series, for their new flagship. Those of us with NEX-6s need to understand your recommended "fix" would please a very tiny number of people owning a camera that may not get a refresh.

They may unveil a surprise this week at CES.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
harold1968
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,687Gear list
Like?
It's your imagination ;)

Tips?

-- hide signature --

LRH

More models to be announced this month
Although a bit of stability in models is not a bad thing right ?

-- hide signature --

harold.co.il

harold1968's gear list:harold1968's gear list
Sony RX1R Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 3,891
Like?
Re: Well, let's see...
In reply to zackiedawg, 6 months ago

Point 1- The NEX NAME is dead. That does not mean the NEX line is dead, just the name. It is well documented that Sony is using the Alpha name for all future devices.

Point 2- Are you happy with you F3? If so, don't worry about the future. I original bought the first generation 3. Loved it, upgraded to the F3, primarily for the built-in flash. Just this month upgraded to the 6 for the extra control wheel. Totally satisfied now, not looking for anything else.

Point 3- We are in an interesting time. If a consumer company is not introducing new products every six months, we are worried???

New announcements coming soon?? http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3602811

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug. Former 3 and F3 owner. Current proud 6 owner.
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,835
Like?

parallaxproblem wrote:

larrytusaz wrote:

Tips?

-- hide signature --

LRH

Well maybe this announcement comming is telling more then Sony could ever do with some kind of statement. When Sony said back in august when releasing the A3000 (along with the Nex 5t) that there would be more Nex styled cameras comming would that be believed by the doomsday people?

We know that the NEX product name is discontinued, though the implications of that event has not been explained. We also know that the last NEX camera (NEX-5T) should have had the new Axxxx naming convention (it was supposed to be called the A5000), but it was changed at the last minute back to the NEX name that Sony already knew was about to be dropped.

You keep on telling that the Nex 5t should be named A5000 just by a few photo's with that model number on it. I've given several reasons for this name on this camera, but you keep on telling that what you say is true...

All we hear in interviews with Sony is 'change change change' but nothing concerning what the future holds for NEX owners

Well Sony did show some of the future: A Full Frame E-mount camera, A very cheap E-mount camera, a Nex 5r successor, and tomorrow probably (it still is a rumor, so things can go different then we expect) a Nex 3 successor, so from August it was clear to me, and all the well thinking people what the future of the E-mount was: New cameras, so we can keep on using our E-mount lenses, nothing to worry....

And change, change, change (as I often said) does not means that Sony will throw away a succesfull formfactor (successfull outside America)

The sad reality is that Sony care little for their existing customers and are only interested in expanding their market to non-Sony owners.

And many showed you where wrong, but you did not listen... You keep on proclaiming doom and gloom...

Once you have bought a Sony product you are no longer interesting to the company. This is difficult to accept as for the 'brand-loyal' it's like hearing that a parent doesn't love them (!)

No it is more like THINKING that your parents don't love you anymore when the new baby comes....

and for others the economic absurdity of such behaviour in alienating loyal customers and destroying 'goodwill' is incomprehensible,

Could it be incomprehensible to Sony too? Could it be that Sony understands that only going for new custommers is a stupid thing? Do you realy think they need you, and the other end of the world proclaimers, to show them the right path?

but it remains a fact. A cursory examination of Sony's treatment of their A-mount customers over the last few years, and their reluctance to release new firmwares should remove any lingering doubts over this reality

For all the Nex cameras there was at least one FW update. So lets keep to the facts please. The A-mount custommers can still use there lenses and all their other A-mount things on the new camera, Yes they need an adapter to use their flashes on the new hotshoe (a thing MANY A-mount users asked for, a standard hotshoe!!)

And for the SLT there is this to think of: Sony did come with a last "real" DSLR (A580) after they launched the A55. It was no success, Sony did what was economicly the right thing: stop with the camera that did not sell well, and go on with the cameras that do sell better!

That is a very wise thing to do. Your camera is still working, your lenses will be usable on many cameras to come, so take it easy!

Did you look at Canon with their EOS-M "serie"? They did bring out the successor only in Asia, not in the rest of the world. Did they tell the rest of the world that they will go on with the system? Did they tell the rest of the world if and is so when they can get the new camera? Come on no other brand is telling this, so why should Sony be any difference?

Up to you...

Lets hope most of the people are wise enough to see what is the truth, and tomorrow we will all know!

-- hide signature --

Keep both the hump and the humpless!!!

Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,381Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mel Snyder, 6 months ago

There is no revenue from firmware updates so I can understand why they do not feel the need to especially with an older camera like the 6. It would be nice if one could buy an app to clean up some of these what are just minor irritants. Probably that is how it will happen in the future except for critical flaws.

Some supposedly generous firmware updates on old models can have a sting in the tale. One particular one contemporary with the release of a new model (not Sony) fixed speed issues but made third party batteries inoperative.

Still the Nex6 a great camera and when I got it recently did not feel it was in any way obsolete or needing replacement. Pairing it with the 16-50 lens makes it a tremendously compact tool and I really love the bounceable flash which transforms the results. Given the current price of the GX7 I cannot think of any equivalent camera to the Nex 6/16-50 which is such an all round affordable portable performer with nothing lacking.

Mel Snyder wrote:

Greynerd wrote:

larrytusaz wrote:

Tips?

-- hide signature --

LRH

Might be a nice idea, but one always needs to put oneself in Sony's shoes - they would concentrate first on a firmware update that would "fix" perceived AF issues with the A& series, for their new flagship. Those of us with NEX-6s need to understand your recommended "fix" would please a very tiny number of people owning a camera that may not get a refresh.

Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Samsung EX2F Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Pentax X-5 Olympus TG-310 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +6 more
davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 3,891
Like?

Greynerd wrote:

There is no revenue from firmware updates so I can understand why they do not feel the need to especially with an older camera like the 6. It would be nice if one could buy an app to clean up some of these what are just minor irritants. Probably that is how it will happen in the future except for critical flaws.

Some supposedly generous firmware updates on old models can have a sting in the tale. One particular one contemporary with the release of a new model (not Sony) fixed speed issues but made third party batteries inoperative.

Still the Nex6 a great camera and when I got it recently did not feel it was in any way obsolete or needing replacement. Pairing it with the 16-50 lens makes it a tremendously compact tool and I really love the bounceable flash which transforms the results. Given the current price of the GX7 I cannot think of any equivalent camera to the Nex 6/16-50 which is such an all round affordable portable performer with nothing lacking.

Mel Snyder wrote:

Greynerd wrote:

larrytusaz wrote:

Tips?

-- hide signature --

LRH

I as well just upgraded to the 6 and just love it.

The Android based cameras that companies such as Samsung are introducing provide a lot of the hackability/customization that I think should be a future consideration.

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug. Former 3 and F3 owner. Current proud 6 owner.
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,363Gear list
Like?
Re: Well, let's see...
In reply to captura, 6 months ago

See the store shelves, Justin. It's stagnant.

Not that I have much experience buying a camera off store shelves (last time I did was in 1997), I have never seen store shelves with a large number of Sony Alpha cameras. If anything, I see more at local Fry's now than I have in the past (I didn't get to touch a NEX-7 months after it was launched).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +12 more
EinsteinsGhost
Like?

larrytusaz wrote:

Tips?

-- hide signature --

LRH

Amen! I hate having to flip thru too many displays to get useful information. At least Level and histogram should be on the same screen. In fact, both could be made a menu based on-off option as well, to leave them on or off at all times regardless of display selection... Fewer disp options to scroll thru (would also help Quick Navi access quicker).

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +12 more
EinsteinsGhost
Like?
Unfortunately...

Tips?

-- hide signature --

LRH

You have plenty of vocal companions who keep creating these threads. You start with APSc to complain about only 11 models in 3.5 years that E-mount has been around, and end up with issues with accepting that FF and other body styles also have their place in the market.

Is 4 models for 3-series too few in 3.5 years? Is four models for 5-series too few in 3.5 years? Are people spending a grand or more on NEX-6/7 desperate to seek obsolence of the bodies every year if not less?

And to think that not too long ago the primary complaint was... too many models to keep up.

The polar opposite groups should be locked up in a room, just so the rest of us can be spared with their relentless nagging leaving these forums to constructive criticism, and sharing of photographic experiences.

Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,239
Like?

larrytusaz wrote:

or that it may end up being more like the A3000 which is NOT what I am looking for.

Judging from the rapid, heavy discounting on the A3000, I wouldn't bet that Sony sees it as the future of e-mount.

Tips?

Hold your horses, as my dad used to say. Which ILC manufacturer is churning out upgrades at a rapid pace ? Aside from model year tweaks in the entry level range, ILCs of all types (DSLRs included) aren't seeing frequent upgrades. They're mature products, and because they're mature products, sales are in decline. Nobody should be in a rush to throw an upgrade out the door these days.

DT200
Contributing MemberPosts: 835
Like?
Re: Unfortunately...
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 6 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Tips?

-- hide signature --

LRH

You have plenty of vocal companions who keep creating these threads. You start with APSc to complain about only 11 models in 3.5 years that E-mount has been around...

Really this is misleading.  For example the NEX 5t is almost a rebadged 5r with some new firmware.  The 5r was a 5n with a new sensor, but that sensor offered no real improvement.

Comparing the original NEX 5 to the current 5t overall there is not much of a difference except they old 5 is a bargain.

Don't worry, Canon does the same thing.  The old T2i and latest T5i perform almost exactly the same.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads