Stagnation of New APS-C Models?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
larrytusaz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,200Gear list
Like?
Stagnation of New APS-C Models?
6 months ago

I have the Sony NEX-F3 (and Nikon J1). Maybe it's me, but it seems like forever since new models have been announced other than the A3000 and A7/r--the former isn't really what I think of in terms of NEX, the latter are full-frame & as great as smaller full-frame models are, I think I'm one of many that appreciate what APS-C NEX models like the F3, 6 and 7 etc bring in terms of high image quality in a smaller package.

Is it just my imagination? I'm not dis-satisfied with my F3 (other than I wish you could use the command dial to more quickly choose AF points, not just the 4-way part of it) but the lack of new models can sort of send a "vibe" that the system is not likely to still be around in 3-odd years or so, or that it may end up being more like the A3000 which is NOT what I am looking for.

Tips?

-- hide signature --

LRH

larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +2 more
Nikon 1 J1 Sony Alpha NEX-F3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,121Gear list
Like?
Re: Stagnation of New APS-C Models?
In reply to larrytusaz, 6 months ago

Sony APS-C Alpha/NEX Models.

3 Series: 3, C3, 3F, 3N, A3000

5 Series: 5, 5N, 5R, 5T

6 Series: 6

7 Series: 7

The 5T and A3000 were released not 4 months ago, 3N less than 1 year ago. The 7 has only been widely available for about 2 years, and the 6 about 16 months ago.

It is a bit premature to say new APS-C models are stagnating when there have been at least 2 releases in the last 12 months. If anything I would say a new 3 series model is due soon as well as maybe a 6 or 7.

Are they all going to look like A3000?  Doubt it, but it is much to early to base future camera models off the few recent cameras since the 5T was about the same time as A3000 I am doubting that style is going away.  Maybe some will, maybe 3 series will?  Who knows.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,670
Like?
Larry: afraid that you might be right = it is gloomy

larrytusaz wrote:

I think I'm one of many that appreciate what APS-C NEX models like the F3, 6 and 7 etc bring in terms of high image quality in a smaller package.

Is it just my imagination? I'm not dis-satisfied with my F3 (other than I wish you could use the command dial to more quickly choose AF points, not just the 4-way part of it) but the lack of new models can sort of send a "vibe" that the system is not likely to still be around in 3-odd years or so, or that it may end up being more like the A3000 which is NOT what I am looking for.

there were some rumors in circulation that by mid Feb. 2014 they will release the Nex-7 mk-II, but that is all... a rumor

jpr2

Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,613
Like?
Re: No evidence of stagnation of aps-c

It doesn't make sense for Sony to get out of APS-C mirrorless. Both they and Zeiss have relatively recent lenses for APS-C as well as the new ff lenses. It would have been crazy to spend the $ developing these and then get out of the format. You can bet that Sony wouldn't want to alienate the Zeiss partnership that is working well for them.

There is as significant step up in $ for the FF bodies and lenses. It is a different class of camera and it would be out of character for Sony (who tend to have models for every possible niche) to get out of APS-C mirrorless.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,670
Like?
Mike: just flood the market with mostrosities like a3000...
In reply to Mike Fewster, 6 months ago

Mike Fewster wrote:

It doesn't make sense for Sony to get out of APS-C mirrorless. Both they and Zeiss have relatively recent lenses for APS-C as well as the new ff lenses. It would have been crazy to spend the $ developing these and then get out of the format. You can bet that Sony wouldn't want to alienate the Zeiss partnership that is working well for them.

There is as significant step up in $ for the FF bodies and lenses. It is a different class of camera and it would be out of character for Sony (who tend to have models for every possible niche) to get out of APS-C mirrorless.

...or APS-C E-bodies akin to the humped A7-like form, Zeiss will be happy perhaps, and for sure there will be some takers too ,

but perhaps not many of them from the ranks originally attracted by the RF-like, little-brick true NEX bodies !!

jpr2

abortabort
Contributing MemberPosts: 870Gear list
Like?
Re: Mike: just flood the market with mostrosities like a3000...
In reply to jpr2, 6 months ago

People whinge and moan when there are 'too many' new models and whinge and moan when there are 'too few'.

The A7/R and a3000 augment the current lineup, not replace. The a3000 was designed to be a super budget model to essentially replace the a37 (but significantly cheaper again) and the A7 to be a brand new top tier camera.

The most recent traditional NEX was releases 4 months ago, I just don't see how that isn't 'enough'?

The NEX-7 is supposedly getting a replacement in Jan/Feb and will likely replace both the 6&7, but I suspect the 6 will stay on the market as a low cost alternative.

The 3 will likely see a refresh slightly later, maybe March/April (but maybe along side the new 7).

I STILL can't understand all the doomsday talk about Traditional NEX cameras'? I even created an irony thread about it that someone got so upset about they request DPR remove it.

abortabort's gear list:abortabort's gear list
Sony RX100 Ricoh GR Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 +32 more
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,751Gear list
Like?
In reply to abortabort, 6 months ago

It is perfectly understandable that people have doubts about the future availability & styling of any APS-C NEX's. Since the half-hearted launch of the A3000 there has been an awkward silence which has generated doubt. Some NEX models have been discounted which creates the impression that they are on the way out & so far news of any new models has been rumours only.

Dealers that I have visited try to steer buyers away from the NEX & suggest the A58 for new buyers with the promise of Sony & third party lenses at an affordable cost.

I agree that it seems improbable that Sony would drop the NEX which has been successful in many countries but stranger things have happened & until Sony make a clear statement the doubt will continue.

aap292
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, 6 months ago

Keit ll wrote:

It is perfectly understandable that people have doubts about the future availability & styling of any APS-C NEX's. Since the half-hearted launch of the A3000 there has been an awkward silence which has generated doubt. Some NEX models have been discounted which creates the impression that they are on the way out & so far news of any new models has been rumours only.

Dealers that I have visited try to steer buyers away from the NEX & suggest the A58 for new buyers with the promise of Sony & third party lenses at an affordable cost.

I agree that it seems improbable that Sony would drop the NEX which has been successful in many countries but stranger things have happened & until Sony make a clear statement the doubt will continue.

So suddenly when they announce new NEX bodies that look like the old NEX bodies with APS-C sensors then suddenly there's no doubt and we're promised NEX cameras for 100 years? There's always doubt especially for a company that isn't doing well financially. Do you want them to have weekly conference calls telling us about what's going to be released in five years?

Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,751Gear list
Like?
In reply to aap292, 6 months ago

aap292 wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

So suddenly when they announce new NEX bodies that look like the old NEX bodies with APS-C sensors then suddenly there's no doubt and we're promised NEX cameras for 100 years? There's always doubt especially for a company that isn't doing well financially. Do you want them to have weekly conference calls telling us about what's going to be released in five years?

I'm sorry but I am not convinced by such arguments, perhaps Sony are not doing as well financially because they don't take the right decisions ?

No sudden moves are required to create confidence but unequivocal statements would help. Weekly conference calls are not needed but an occasional one wouldn't come amiss. Continuity of supply & evolutionary changes to styling does create confidence however.....

abortabort
Like?

Keit ll wrote:

aap292 wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

I'm sorry but I am not convinced by such arguments, perhaps Sony are not doing as well financially because they don't take the right decisions ?

No sudden moves are required to create confidence but unequivocal statements would help. Weekly conference calls are not needed but an occasional one wouldn't come amiss. Continuity of supply & evolutionary changes to styling does create confidence however.....

The NEX-5t was released at the same time as the a3000, 4 months ago. Again, is this not enough?

How much MORE recently should new models that look like old NEX models would suffice?

Which models have been discontinued specifically? So far as I can tell only the NEX-7, which is fair enough with a new model later this month (and being by far the oldest model in the current range).

Sony RX100 Ricoh GR Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 +32 more
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,100Gear list
Like?
Well, let's see...

September 2012 - NEX6 announced

February 2013 - NEX-3N announced

August 2013 - NEX-5T announced

You decide, but it seems it's been about 4 months since the last APS-C camera was announced, and it seems typical to go about 5-6 months between APS-C models over the past year or two.  I personally don't feel that a new body every 5-6 months is stagnant...in fact, it's almost rampant.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 12,791Gear list
Like?

All the documented cases of Sony reps saying that the NEX name is dead should be enough proof.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
captura
Like?
In reply to aap292, 6 months ago

Yes.

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
captura
Like?
In reply to abortabort, 6 months ago

abortabort wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

aap292 wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

No sudden moves are required to create confidence but unequivocal statements would help. Weekly conference calls are not needed but an occasional one wouldn't come amiss. Continuity of supply & evolutionary changes to styling does create confidence however.....

The NEX-5t was released at the same time as the a3000, 4 months ago. Again, is this not enough?

How much MORE recently should new models that look like old NEX models would suffice?

Which models have been discontinued specifically? So far as I can tell only the NEX-7, which is fair enough with a new model later this month (and being by far the oldest model in the current range).

The 5T was not really a new model and therefore should not be considered for your argument.

Stocks are growing thin and in some cases unavailable for the 3N, the 5T, and the 7. The 5R is showing discontinued by all the retailers including the Sony Store.

Were you perhaps expecting that Sony would make an announcement every time one of their lines is discontinued? That will make them the first camera maker to do that.

captura
Like?
Re: Well, let's see...
In reply to zackiedawg, 6 months ago

See the store shelves, Justin. It's stagnant.

abortabort
Like?
In reply to captura, 6 months ago

The 5T was not really a new model and therefore should not be considered for your argument.

Stocks are growing thin and in some cases unavailable for the 3N, the 5T, and the 7. The 5R is showing discontinued by all the retailers including the Sony Store.

Were you perhaps expecting that Sony would make an announcement every time one of their lines is discontinued? That will make them the first camera maker to do that.

Well which is it? Is it that Sony AREN'T producing the cameras YOU want OR is it that Sony aren't producing new models of traditional NEX designs? Make up your mind. The NEX-5T is a NEW model, released 4 months ago at THE SAME TIME as the a3000, just because in you delusion it isn't a new model doesn't make it so.

Then to talk about the NEX-5R being discontinued as 'a sign' of the impending doom of the traditional NEX designs, are you nuts? IT WAS REPLACED BY THE BRAND SPANKING NEW NEX-5T, 4 MONTHS AGO!!!! OF COURSE IT IS DISCONTINUED! The Canon 700D is exactly the same as the 650D but with a new kit lens, run to the hills Canon EF-S users, the Rebel line is disappearing! Now they are going to make all their cameras like the 100D, LOOK AT THE SIGNS!

sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?
Stagnant Idea Pool

Again with this?

Yawn.

nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,797Gear list
Like?
As long as the photographers are not in stagnation (nt)
-- hide signature --
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 6,951
Like?
Re: No evidence of stagnation of aps-c
In reply to Mike Fewster, 6 months ago

Mike Fewster wrote:

It doesn't make sense while the smaller sensors are much cheaper to manufacture. The situation could change in a few years if the extra cost of the FF sensor becomes negligible.

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 6,951
Like?
Re: Well, let's see...
In reply to zackiedawg, 6 months ago

zackiedawg wrote:

September 2012 - NEX6 announced

February 2013 - NEX-3N announced

August 2013 - NEX-5T announced

You decide, but it seems it's been about 4 months since the last APS-C camera was announced, and it seems typical to go about 5-6 months between APS-C models over the past year or two. I personally don't feel that a new body every 5-6 months is stagnant...in fact, it's almost rampant.

From the user's point of view, a new model every two or three years would be plenty.

But I think with these consumer products, the "models" are really production batches. Sony decide to make, perhaps, 100,000 NEX-5 style cameras. They order all the parts needed for this batch, set up the robots, etc.

When it is time to plan the next batch, and order a new stock of parts, some of the old parts will no longer be available (manufacturers of switches, sockets, memory chips, etc have new models too). The engineers have a couple of new design ideas they want to add.

So the next batch of 100,000 appears as a "new model".

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads