K30 fried after using in rain

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,968Gear list
Like?
Re: K30 fried after using in rain
In reply to jamesm007, 11 months ago

I agree, James. I also think if drying it out doesn't solve his problem, he quite likely still has the two-year warranty issue under EU stipulations.

As for Pentax and how its warranty relates to its WR claims, while Pentax definitely sells cameras and lenses based on the WR properties (I recall when the K-30 was their top NEW model, you'd go to their website and there was a big picture of it covered with wet snow on their primary sales web page), Pentax is equally quick to say they DON'T cover any repairs caused by the negligence of gettiing water or dust into their cameras or lenses.

Frankly, as much as I love my Pentax cameras and WR or DA* lenses, I think that sort of doubletalk is both disingenuous AND, quite frankly, WILL NOT hold up under the laws of ANY country that has a reasonable court system, since they advertise these cameras and lenses with them covered with rain and/or snow.

That said, I'm still really careful. If I want to shoot in rain or show, I'm till going to do my best to protect my camera and lens(es), and dry them off as soon as I can, then probably nestle them in a DIFFERENT towel that hasn't been used to dry off a camera or lens, to ensure they remain and/or continue to finish drying while I go to my next shot, or do whatever else, similar to what Russell said he does at Yellowstone. In my opinion, just because they advertise the product as weather resistant doesn't mean we need to push the envelope every chance we get. That would be like taking your 4WD truck out and climbing the side of a mountain with it when there's an equally good highway directly beside the rugged dirt trail you're on. What's the point, other than to put extra wear-and-tear on a mechanical and electrical product that has a limited life no matter how you take care of it? Which is why I also have those cheap camera and lens protection covers for shooting in rain and snow. I'm not SCARED of getting my camera or lens wet, but I see no reason to do it just because I CAN, either.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Simon Devlin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,228
Like?
In reply to JeffAHayes, 11 months ago

JeffAHayes wrote:

I agree, James. I also think if drying it out doesn't solve his problem, he quite likely still has the two-year warranty issue under EU stipulations.

Well I am drying it out although I am thinking what is the point as it will happen again and again. I bought this due to their marketing claims.

Currently on their website:

5 Reasons to choose Pentax

No.1 Heavy-duty construction designed for all-weather, all-location shooting

Well this is hardly ambiguous is it?

As for Pentax and how its warranty relates to its WR claims, while Pentax definitely sells cameras and lenses based on the WR properties (I recall when the K-30 was their top NEW model, you'd go to their website and there was a big picture of it covered with wet snow on their primary sales web page), Pentax is equally quick to say they DON'T cover any repairs caused by the negligence of gettiing water or dust into their cameras or lenses.

Frankly, as much as I love my Pentax cameras and WR or DA* lenses, I think that sort of doubletalk is both disingenuous AND, quite frankly, WILL NOT hold up under the laws of ANY country that has a reasonable court system, since they advertise these cameras and lenses with them covered with rain and/or snow.

Yeah this is 100% double talk. I would love to bring them to court and sink them (excuse the pun), they wouldn't have a leg to stand on, but that is marketing for you!

That said, I'm still really careful. If I want to shoot in rain or show, I'm till going to do my best to protect my camera and lens(es), and dry them off as soon as I can, then probably nestle them in a DIFFERENT towel that hasn't been used to dry off a camera or lens, to ensure they remain and/or continue to finish drying while I go to my next shot, or do whatever else, similar to what Russell said he does at Yellowstone. In my opinion, just because they advertise the product as weather resistant doesn't mean we need to push the envelope every chance we get. That would be like taking your 4WD truck out and climbing the side of a mountain with it when there's an equally good highway directly beside the rugged dirt trail you're on. What's the point, other than to put extra wear-and-tear on a mechanical and electrical product that has a limited life no matter how you take care of it? Which is why I also have those cheap camera and lens protection covers for shooting in rain and snow. I'm not SCARED of getting my camera or lens wet, but I see no reason to do it just because I CAN, either.

I don't think I did push it as I sheltered the camera from the wind and had it in a very breathable HAMA hard case. The lens kept the water out no problem and out of the sensor chamber.

The camera has a faulty seal and there is no way I am paying to get it fixed as it is Pentax's fault.

I'll have to contact Pentax tomorrow as the Jessops shop in the UK where I bought it from were of little help. They wanted £25 for to have it 'looked at'. Then said Pentax will look up the serial number to see if the batch was faulty (? eh? How would they know a batch was faulty and why would QC release a faulty batch). Then the salesman said Pentax would decifer whether it was my fault or not and decide whether to charge me for the repair.

The salesman then continued to state that he wouldn't use a camera in the rain. Well OK but I was suckered in by Pentax's marketing which ultimately made me decide to choose the Pentax system.

Overall I was not impressed by Jessops and I'll not be buying anything from them again. Like other people have said you are better buying from a pro-dealer with a longer guarantee. No wonder the high street shops are continuing to die. As this was my first DSLR purchase I had no idea about this. I bought a Casio compact from Jessops in 2000 and it died too so maybe it is a poisonous relationship!

I'll need to contact Pentax myself as I knew handing over £25 to Jessops would be money down the drain.

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover
Anarcho-primitivist and avid anti-technology advocate

Simon Devlin
Like?
Re: Sudden change of temperature
In reply to Russell Evans, 11 months ago

Russell Evans wrote:

Simon Devlin wrote:

Russell Evans wrote:

Simon Devlin wrote:

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

.. created condensation once you opened the battery door / changed the lens.

I never opened the battery door until around 5 hours after I got in!

I never changed the lens.

I don't like the conclusion either, but the rest has some merit, I think. I think putting equipment away wet and cold and then taking the equipment inside to a heated environment and leaving it in a semi sealed container is a mistake. The inside of your case probably got wet from the camera if not from it being open while you put the camera into it, the camera itself was wet, and it sounds like you were using it a little in the rain, so pumping moist air in and out as zoom and focus were changed. Once you take everything inside, that moisture has to go somewhere, but as you've closed it all in, that somewhere is going to be inside the case(bag) on the material is the last to stabilize. Which I would guess is glass, where there is little air movement around the glass possible.

If you get your camera working again, take it out in the rain again, and this time, take it out of the case and dry it off before going inside, and then leave it out of the case once inside.

My wife and I spend one wet cold week in Yellowstone mostly using telephoto zoom lenses without seals on a K10D and K20D. The equipment got very, very, wet, day after day. Each time we came back to the car, we wiped down the equipment and left it out on the seats to dry. Really, the cameras were just out on the seats because we where using, or going to be using them shortly as we moved around the park. We were cold from being outside, so I can guarantee you that the car heater was going. At night when we got to the hotel, I would take the cameras out of the bags, take the batteries out so they could go into the chargers, and wipe the cameras and lenses down again, looking for water in the nooks and crannies. A bulb blower was really good at finding water there.

The only issue we had on that trip was with the O-ME53. It's not sealed and has two glass elements in it where moisture collected. It got so fogged one the second day, we had to leave it off the camera and just shoot without a finder rubber bumper for the rest of the trip.

I do hope everything comes back working for you, one way or another.

Thank you
Russell

Russell, I didn't leave it in a semi sealed container.

The Hama Arrow 110 seems pretty air tight if zipped closed. That's the only Hama hard case I could find in searching. It sounds like you left it in this case in your first post, so if that's not what you did, then sure, ignore this.

The WR lens looks absolutely fine and as that is what I was using I don't think I was pumping air in and out.

All accordion zooms pull air in and out. You wouldn't be able to zoom if they didn't.

This K30 is a failure in the WR department, I didn't abuse it and there are a host of posts online stating exactly the same problem. The battery department, the SD card department and the 'sensor chamber' were all completely bone dry with no moisture evident at all.

I didn't say you abused the camera. I just think if you sealed up a wet cold camera in a hard case and then heat it up to room temperature you'll have a problem with any camera that isn't rated waterproof.

The LCD seals probably are what is to blame and poor K30 quality controls and/or design.

I can't see the K-30 LCD seals being any better than the K10D and I know the seals on it are just a thin double sided sticky tape as I pulled the glass from the camera at one point.

The LCD looks damaged with water and it isn't going to cure itself.

As most people have posted, you need to leave it off and without a battery in a sealed container with some moisture absorbing material for a few days. I see from your other recent post that you haven't followed this advice, so it won't be surprising it your camera goes belly up. At this point, all I can say is good luck with whatever you do.

Thank you
Russell

Hi Russell,

Thanks for your help and don't feel you I didn't listen to you. The Hama I have is basically the same or an older model to the one you seen. It is very breathable and I can actually breath through it, I just tested this and I stayed alive for 1 minute.  The case itself actually dries out very quickly.

I did follow your advice with the drying. The camera is working but not too well. The LCD screen is artifacting, flickering on and off, and is in my opinion ruined with Newton rings. I originally meant that it won't 'cure itself' meaning that the sealed rice trick isn't going to reverse this kind of damage.

Anyhow even if it did return to it's former working glory, this would just happen again as there is a defective seal. So I would need a replacement or an excellent repair to have a real WR K30 like most of them probably are.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Simon Devlin
Like?
Troubles aside these are the pictures I got that day :)
In reply to Simon Devlin, 11 months ago

Enjoy!

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Simon Devlin
Like?
Cheers britcam (Rich)
In reply to britcam, 11 months ago

I have 10 rolls of film here of different varieties and a brand new enlarger with Schneider Componon-S lens to play with instead of Lightroom.

Maybe the analogue god's don't want me to continue with digital.

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,968Gear list
Like?

Simon Devlin wrote:

JeffAHayes wrote:

Well I am drying it out although I am thinking what is the point as it will happen again and again. I bought this due to their marketing claims.

Yeah this is 100% double talk. I would love to bring them to court and sink them (excuse the pun), they wouldn't have a leg to stand on, but that is marketing for you!

I don't think I did push it as I sheltered the camera from the wind and had it in a very breathable HAMA hard case. The lens kept the water out no problem and out of the sensor chamber.

The camera has a faulty seal and there is no way I am paying to get it fixed as it is Pentax's fault.

I'll have to contact Pentax tomorrow as the Jessops shop in the UK where I bought it from were of little help. They wanted £25 for to have it 'looked at'. Then said Pentax will look up the serial number to see if the batch was faulty (? eh? How would they know a batch was faulty and why would QC release a faulty batch). Then the salesman said Pentax would decifer whether it was my fault or not and decide whether to charge me for the repair.

The salesman then continued to state that he wouldn't use a camera in the rain. Well OK but I was suckered in by Pentax's marketing which ultimately made me decide to choose the Pentax system.

Overall I was not impressed by Jessops and I'll not be buying anything from them again. Like other people have said you are better buying from a pro-dealer with a longer guarantee. No wonder the high street shops are continuing to die. As this was my first DSLR purchase I had no idea about this. I bought a Casio compact from Jessops in 2000 and it died too so maybe it is a poisonous relationship!

I'll need to contact Pentax myself as I knew handing over £25 to Jessops would be money down the drain.

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Oh I agree with you about the doubletalk, Simon. I know a great number of Pentax shooters who've used their cameras in adverse weather a good many times with no problems, but also a few, like you, who've reported issues.

I think what the guy at Jessops said to you about Pentax checking to see if your K-30 came from a "bad batch" is actually a very valid statement. I don't know if you've ever worked in a factory, but I did for 4.5 years in my early 20s, and any manufacturing company occasionally has a batch of product slip through QC when someone simply falls down on the job. It's entirely possible that your K-30 DID come from a batch where the LCD panels weren't properly sealed. If that's the case, then Ricoh should make good on it with a new model with no questions asked. Either way, I think you should get resolution.

The ONLY Pentax camera I've ever seen advertised as WATERPROOF was their WG-1, which is a P&S made for light diving work down to about 5 meters. That said, the WR designation on the cameras and lenses SHOULD EASILY cover the sort of shooting circumstances you and a lot of others engage in, and while I've never been to Britain and know NOTHING about Jessops (other than what little I've read, that tells me it went through an ownership overhaul), if they're not going to give you satisfaction, you will need to go to Britain's Pentax warranty service center directly. I think you'll be OK.

By the way, nice photos!

Jeff

-- hide signature --

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Riezer
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
Standard warranty in the EU is 2 years+ these days (nt)
No text.
Simon Devlin
Like?
In reply to JeffAHayes, 11 months ago

JeffAHayes wrote:

Simon Devlin wrote:

JeffAHayes wrote:

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Oh I agree with you about the doubletalk, Simon. I know a great number of Pentax shooters who've used their cameras in adverse weather a good many times with no problems, but also a few, like you, who've reported issues.

I think what the guy at Jessops said to you about Pentax checking to see if your K-30 came from a "bad batch" is actually a very valid statement. I don't know if you've ever worked in a factory, but I did for 4.5 years in my early 20s, and any manufacturing company occasionally has a batch of product slip through QC when someone simply falls down on the job. It's entirely possible that your K-30 DID come from a batch where the LCD panels weren't properly sealed. If that's the case, then Ricoh should make good on it with a new model with no questions asked. Either way, I think you should get resolution.

The ONLY Pentax camera I've ever seen advertised as WATERPROOF was their WG-1, which is a P&S made for light diving work down to about 5 meters. That said, the WR designation on the cameras and lenses SHOULD EASILY cover the sort of shooting circumstances you and a lot of others engage in, and while I've never been to Britain and know NOTHING about Jessops (other than what little I've read, that tells me it went through an ownership overhaul), if they're not going to give you satisfaction, you will need to go to Britain's Pentax warranty service center directly. I think you'll be OK.

By the way, nice photos!

Jeff

-- hide signature --

Jeff et al,

I just phoned the UK service centre and I'm sending it in.

The receptionist just asked did I use the WR lens and I explained to her the problems.

I'll post it tomorrow and see what happens.

Hopefully they will do the right thing...

and send me a K3 instead LOL

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Simon Devlin
Like?
In reply to Stephenhampshire, 11 months ago

It's going back to the service centre Stephen, Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

JohnXLondon
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?
In reply to FrancW, 11 months ago

FrancW wrote:

EU law stipulates 2 year warranty, so Jessops 1 year isn't legal.

-- hide signature --

Unfortunately the UK is not bound by the EU warranty legislation.

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,798Gear list
Like?
Re: There was a user on here that destroyed several new K-30... more
In reply to grcolts, 11 months ago

grcolts wrote:

viking79 wrote:

There was a user on here that destroyed several new K-30 with water testing the weather sealing, with similar failures as yours. I imagine it isn't as well sealed as the K-5 series cameras.

I can't find it now, but probably back when K-30 was new.

Eric

I have had the K10 since it was released and have never experienced anything like that with it.

It has been out in both light rain and snow with no problems.

But K10, K-5, K-7, etc are drastically different cameras.  I never had issue with my K20d or K-7 in a downpour, but I think the K-30 specifically has some sealing issues.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Simon Devlin
Like?
Re: There was a user on here that destroyed several new K-30... more
In reply to viking79, 11 months ago

viking79 wrote:

grcolts wrote:

viking79 wrote:

There was a user on here that destroyed several new K-30 with water testing the weather sealing, with similar failures as yours. I imagine it isn't as well sealed as the K-5 series cameras.

I can't find it now, but probably back when K-30 was new.

Eric

I have had the K10 since it was released and have never experienced anything like that with it.

It has been out in both light rain and snow with no problems.

But K10, K-5, K-7, etc are drastically different cameras. I never had issue with my K20d or K-7 in a downpour, but I think the K-30 specifically has some sealing issues.

Eric

Hi Eric,

Funny enough the girl on the phone in the Pentax service centre only asked me did I use the WR lens, no other troubles and she said send it in.

Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

They must know there is a problem with them ( I bought this in December 2012)

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

J Posthuma
Contributing MemberPosts: 603Gear list
Like?
Re: Cheers britcam (Rich)

LOL!

And lots of good luck having this problem fixed!

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards / Met vriendelijke groet,
Jetze

J Posthuma's gear list:J Posthuma's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM
Simon Devlin
Like?

Simon Devlin wrote:

JeffAHayes wrote:

Simon Devlin wrote:

JeffAHayes wrote:

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

The ONLY Pentax camera I've ever seen advertised as WATERPROOF was their WG-1, which is a P&S made for light diving work down to about 5 meters. That said, the WR designation on the cameras and lenses SHOULD EASILY cover the sort of shooting circumstances you and a lot of others engage in, and while I've never been to Britain and know NOTHING about Jessops (other than what little I've read, that tells me it went through an ownership overhaul), if they're not going to give you satisfaction, you will need to go to Britain's Pentax warranty service center directly. I think you'll be OK.

By the way, nice photos!

Jeff

-- hide signature --

Jeff et al,

I just phoned the UK service centre and I'm sending it in.

The receptionist just asked did I use the WR lens and I explained to her the problems.

I'll post it tomorrow and see what happens.

Hopefully they will do the right thing...

and send me a K3 instead LOL

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

I copied this from another thread just to let you all know the outcome:

"Hello, I received a new K30 body today free of charge!

Pentax said they couldn't fix the fluid damage in the old one.

So cheers to Pentax and Johnsons Photopia (Pentax Sevice UK).

Does this deserve a new thread?

I did think of maybe selling this new unused and getting a K5II as I'll be frightened to use it again in the rain."

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

klimbkat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,461Gear list
Like?

Simon Devlin wrote:

I just received a new K30 body today free of charge!

I did think of maybe selling this new unused and getting a K5II as I'll be frightened to use it again in the rain."

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Excellent news - a proper result.

brecklundin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,995Gear list
Like?

Simon Devlin wrote:

I would say consider it...and maybe make that the K5IIs instead.  It will have the odd shot with some moire but the added detail looks to be well worth that potentiality.

Should you sell it I would explain the whole thing about time remaining on warranty, if they can be xfer'd on your side of the pond.  I was also going to see if you are allowed to buy that extra 2-yr extended warranty Pentax sells here in the US.  We have to buy it in the first 30-days (I think it's 30-days?) and it adds 2-yrs additional to ouor 1-yr warranty.  Given the situation maybe they can make an exception for you or maybe you can still extended simply because you are w/i the 2-yr EU warranty period?  Assuming that the UK falls w/i that part of the EU agreements, I know it's an odd relationship between the UK & EU, sometimes it matters other times no...

But your idea is not a bad one if you can swing a K5 out of the deal.

No matter congrats on handling it smoothly and just letting it happen as it should.  And for kicking sand in the face of all those "jail house lawyers" claiming this and that about the wording wrt water damage v. WR...blah-blah-blah...so nice job!

Simon Devlin
Like?
In reply to brecklundin, 11 months ago

brecklundin wrote:

Simon Devlin wrote:

I would say consider it...and maybe make that the K5IIs instead. It will have the odd shot with some moire but the added detail looks to be well worth that potentiality.

Should you sell it I would explain the whole thing about time remaining on warranty, if they can be xfer'd on your side of the pond. I was also going to see if you are allowed to buy that extra 2-yr extended warranty Pentax sells here in the US. We have to buy it in the first 30-days (I think it's 30-days?) and it adds 2-yrs additional to ouor 1-yr warranty. Given the situation maybe they can make an exception for you or maybe you can still extended simply because you are w/i the 2-yr EU warranty period? Assuming that the UK falls w/i that part of the EU agreements, I know it's an odd relationship between the UK & EU, sometimes it matters other times no...

But your idea is not a bad one if you can swing a K5 out of the deal.

No matter congrats on handling it smoothly and just letting it happen as it should. And for kicking sand in the face of all those "jail house lawyers" claiming this and that about the wording wrt water damage v. WR...blah-blah-blah...so nice job!

Thanks,

I don't know what to do, the K5 IIs idea is only an inkling and I usually quell those things that cost a lot of money for a slightly better product. I'm just really worried about the WR although the same thing could happen to a K5 II I suppose.

I also really liked the focus peaking facility for macro work in the K30. I don't use it for 'normal' photography whatsoever. The K5 II doesn't have this.

I have also gotten into film big time and enjoy this more than anything. I bought a full darkroom, 2 enlargers, 2 Nova print processors etc. if you get the idea.

Maybe the K30 is good enough for my digital side as my more serious work is with film and I also have the ability to print enlargements. I think I should maybe just keep the K30 and maybe buy a German equatorial mount or something instead for astrophotography. Although I also quite fancy a Pentax 645 or 67 camera! I could have one of these with 1 or possibly 2 lenses for the price of a marginal gain of the K5 II.

I really like the full frame you see as I mostly do landscaping work.

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Stephenhampshire
Contributing MemberPosts: 859Gear list
Like?

Glad you got some good service from Johnsons', I found them very helpful and fast when my K5 developed a problem (sticky mirror) My K30 has now passed to my son (who likes taking it for long walks in the rain) and it has suffered no ill effects, I think you got one with a duff seal arounds the rear LCD, it was a documented early problem with the K30. I do miss focus peaking on the K5 vs the K30, it is a very useful feature. I personally would stick with the K30 unless you need the faster FPS and bigger buffer of the K5II/IIs
Anyway, glad you are back taking pictures

Stephen

-- hide signature --
 Stephenhampshire's gear list:Stephenhampshire's gear list
Samsung TL350 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +13 more
Potemkin_Photo
Contributing MemberPosts: 742
Like?
RE: Pentax USA warranty support
In reply to Riezer, 6 months ago

I'm glad I spotted this thread.

Buydig in the USA currently has a deal for the K50 + 2 WR lenses and a flash south of $600.

I've recently been wanting to do some "harsh elements" photography and this would cost just a couple hundred bucks more than the new generation of waterproof compact cameras but give me a lot more latitude in terms of manual control and of course better image quality.

However, despite promo pics of the camera getting slammed with waves of water the USA Pentax Ricoh support page says they will not fix a camera under warranty if it has water damage.

Anyone had any experience with Pentax Ricoh service stateside? Especially in regards to water damage from a faulty factory seal or other problem?

If the camera is advertised as being able to be used in the rain, and the company touts "WR", it should back it up in my view.

Potemkin_Photo
Contributing MemberPosts: 742
Like?
Re: RE: Pentax USA warranty support
In reply to Potemkin_Photo, 6 months ago

Guess not many USA users with the same experience.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads