K30 fried after using in rain

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Simon Devlin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,228
Like?
Re: K30 fried after using in rain
In reply to leopold, 11 months ago

leopold wrote:

Might be useful to you, i dropped my 7D and 400mm/5.6 L in the water last summer, they survived and still work after 1 week with rice:

That's fine Leopold but my problem is I don't have a WR camera, I didn't drop it in water and the seals don't work. It's as good as useless for me not having a weather sealed camera and it will happen again if it ever works again.

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover
Anarcho-primitivist and avid anti-technology advocate

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Simon Devlin
Like?
In reply to Clavestone, 11 months ago

Clavestone wrote:

my other thought might have been the pressure change from mountains to a more normal level. You stated in another thread that you were up in the mountains shooting, the pressure change may have gotten to the camera. (AFAIK camera is not pressure resistant, otherwise might be labled water proof to handle minimal underwater pressure)

just a thought?

-- hide signature --

in my bag...
K5, 10-17 DA, 35 f2.4 DA, 50mm F1.8 DA, 17-70 f4 DA, 50-135 f2.8 DA*
360 flash

I was only at 1200ft above sea level. I have had the camera up to 3000ft before with no problems but thanks for your thought.

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Simon Devlin
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, 11 months ago

I knew that mighty mike about the WR.

I'm 99% sure the water has leaked in throught the back of the LCD screen. The camera has switched on now but the waterstaining looks even worse this morning and not in a healthy state as the LCD is flickering.

The K30 simply didn't live up to it's WR status.

I'll look for the documentation and bring it down to the shop today.

I'll have to get it replaced, a non WR camera is useless and that's why I bought it and bought into Pentax.

I want another body, simply as that!

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,571
Like?
Re: Sudden change of temperature
In reply to Simon Devlin, 11 months ago

Simon Devlin wrote:

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

.. created condensation once you opened the battery door / changed the lens.

I never opened the battery door until around 5 hours after I got in!

I never changed the lens.

I don't like the conclusion either, but the rest has some merit, I think. I think putting equipment away wet and cold and then taking the equipment inside to a heated environment and leaving it in a semi sealed container is a mistake. The inside of your case probably got wet from the camera if not from it being open while you put the camera into it, the camera itself was wet, and it sounds like you were using it a little in the rain, so pumping moist air in and out as zoom and focus were changed. Once you take everything inside, that moisture has to go somewhere, but as you've closed it all in, that somewhere is going to be inside the case(bag) on the material is the last to stabilize. Which I would guess is glass, where there is little air movement around the glass possible.

If you get your camera working again, take it out in the rain again, and this time, take it out of the case and dry it off before going inside, and then leave it out of the case once inside.

My wife and I spend one wet cold week in Yellowstone mostly using telephoto zoom lenses without seals on a K10D and K20D. The equipment got very, very, wet, day after day. Each time we came back to the car, we wiped down the equipment and left it out on the seats to dry. Really, the cameras were just out on the seats because we where using, or going to be using them shortly as we moved around the park. We were cold from being outside, so I can guarantee you that the car heater was going. At night when we got to the hotel, I would take the cameras out of the bags, take the batteries out so they could go into the chargers, and wipe the cameras and lenses down again, looking for water in the nooks and crannies. A bulb blower was really good at finding water there.

The only issue we had on that trip was with the O-ME53. It's not sealed and has two glass elements in it where moisture collected. It got so fogged one the second day, we had to leave it off the camera and just shoot without a finder rubber bumper for the rest of the trip.

I do hope everything comes back working for you, one way or another.

Thank you
Russell

FrancW
Regular MemberPosts: 178Gear list
Like?

EU law stipulates 2 year warranty, so Jessops 1 year isn't legal.

-- hide signature --
 FrancW's gear list:FrancW's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3
Simon Devlin
Like?
In reply to Russell Evans, 11 months ago

Russell Evans wrote:

Simon Devlin wrote:

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

I don't like the conclusion either, but the rest has some merit, I think. I think putting equipment away wet and cold and then taking the equipment inside to a heated environment and leaving it in a semi sealed container is a mistake. The inside of your case probably got wet from the camera if not from it being open while you put the camera into it, the camera itself was wet, and it sounds like you were using it a little in the rain, so pumping moist air in and out as zoom and focus were changed. Once you take everything inside, that moisture has to go somewhere, but as you've closed it all in, that somewhere is going to be inside the case(bag) on the material is the last to stabilize. Which I would guess is glass, where there is little air movement around the glass possible.

If you get your camera working again, take it out in the rain again, and this time, take it out of the case and dry it off before going inside, and then leave it out of the case once inside.

My wife and I spend one wet cold week in Yellowstone mostly using telephoto zoom lenses without seals on a K10D and K20D. The equipment got very, very, wet, day after day. Each time we came back to the car, we wiped down the equipment and left it out on the seats to dry. Really, the cameras were just out on the seats because we where using, or going to be using them shortly as we moved around the park. We were cold from being outside, so I can guarantee you that the car heater was going. At night when we got to the hotel, I would take the cameras out of the bags, take the batteries out so they could go into the chargers, and wipe the cameras and lenses down again, looking for water in the nooks and crannies. A bulb blower was really good at finding water there.

The only issue we had on that trip was with the O-ME53. It's not sealed and has two glass elements in it where moisture collected. It got so fogged one the second day, we had to leave it off the camera and just shoot without a finder rubber bumper for the rest of the trip.

Thank you
Russell

Russell, I didn't leave it in a semi sealed container. The WR lens looks absolutely fine and as that is what I was using I don't think I was pumping air in and out.

This K30 is a failure in the WR department, I didn't abuse it and there are a host of posts online stating exactly the same problem. The battery department, the SD card department and the 'sensor chamber' were all completely bone dry with no moisture evident at all.

The LCD seals probably are what is to blame and poor K30 quality controls and/or design.

The LCD looks damaged with water and it isn't going to cure itself.

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Simon Devlin
Like?
In reply to FrancW, 11 months ago

FrancW wrote:

EU law stipulates 2 year warranty, so Jessops 1 year isn't legal.

-- hide signature --

That's interesting! I shall let them know this later. They still advertise this on their website!

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Russell Evans
Like?

Simon Devlin wrote:

Russell Evans wrote:

Simon Devlin wrote:

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

Thank you
Russell

Russell, I didn't leave it in a semi sealed container.

The Hama Arrow 110 seems pretty air tight if zipped closed. That's the only Hama hard case I could find in searching. It sounds like you left it in this case in your first post, so if that's not what you did, then sure, ignore this.

The WR lens looks absolutely fine and as that is what I was using I don't think I was pumping air in and out.

All accordion zooms pull air in and out. You wouldn't be able to zoom if they didn't.

This K30 is a failure in the WR department, I didn't abuse it and there are a host of posts online stating exactly the same problem. The battery department, the SD card department and the 'sensor chamber' were all completely bone dry with no moisture evident at all.

I didn't say you abused the camera. I just think if you sealed up a wet cold camera in a hard case and then heat it up to room temperature you'll have a problem with any camera that isn't rated waterproof.

The LCD seals probably are what is to blame and poor K30 quality controls and/or design.

I can't see the K-30 LCD seals being any better than the K10D and I know the seals on it are just a thin double sided sticky tape as I pulled the glass from the camera at one point.

The LCD looks damaged with water and it isn't going to cure itself.

As most people have posted, you need to leave it off and without a battery in a sealed container with some moisture absorbing material for a few days. I see from your other recent post that you haven't followed this advice, so it won't be surprising it your camera goes belly up. At this point, all I can say is good luck with whatever you do.

Thank you
Russell

fakuryu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,124Gear list
Like?
Same thing happened to a friend's K30
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, 11 months ago

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

The camera body was outside, in the rain and cold. The temperature difference is perhaps 15-20 degrees if you account for wind too. Ideally, you should wipe the camera and lens clean and moist free, leave it untouched alone for a few hours in the new temperature to prevent condensation.

I suggest that you now leave the camera in the dark, and moist- and dust-free area at a constant room temperature, with open lens mount and battery door open too. Put a bag of silica under each and keep it like that for half a day at least.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

A friend who owns a K30 used it when the climbed Mt. Apo (the tallest mountain in the Philippines). He said that the K30's WR held up but it was the condensation due to rapid changes in temperature that became his problem.

His K30 is still working BTW.

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
Russell Evans
Like?
In reply to Russell Evans, 11 months ago

Russell Evans wrote:

Simon Devlin wrote:

I can't see the K-30 LCD seals being any better than the K10D and I know the seals on it are just a thin double sided sticky tape as I pulled the glass from the camera at one point.

That should read, "I can't see the K-30 LCD seals being any  better  worse than the K10D and I know the seals on it are just a thin double sided sticky tape as I pulled the glass from the camera at one point."

Thank you
Russell

pebar_Walsall
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?

Hi Simon

I recently encountered a similar problem with a K5II I bought a few months ago.

After spending a couple of hours in torrential rain (which my K20D has coped with on previous occasions to no ill-effect) the K5II showed prominent water-mark streaks on the LCD display. The camera worked OK apart from that, but it was obvious to me that the seals on the screen were not as weather resistant as they should be.

I returned the camera to the shop I'd bought it from, who sent it back to Pentax. They said originally it was being tested and repaired, which didn't fill me with confidence, but after a couple of weeks, they sent a new replacement body.

So far, so good! I've been out in heavy rain on a couple of occasions with the new body and there's no sign of any leaks behind the display.

I hope you manage to get your problem sorted.

Good luck

Pete

pebar_Walsall's gear list:pebar_Walsall's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax K20D Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
Model Mike
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,142Gear list
Like?

Simon Devlin wrote:
That's fine about the rice but the camera clearly isn't WR. It is supposed to withstand more abuse than this.

My K-5 also had a small leak at one corner of the LCD screen. The camera still functioned fine but I had it fixed under warranty.

I still shoot in the rain, but now carry a microfibre rag to wipe off the worst of the wet stuff at intervals. I suspect, though, that we were both unlucky.

PS - condensation is something else, and always best to avoid.

-- hide signature --
il_alexk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,009Gear list
Like?
Two years warranty
  1. Two year warranty is provided by Penbtax UK, not by SRS. Check with Jonhson Photopia (Pentax service) if camera purchased in Jassop qualifies.
  2. If not, there is a EU ruling that sometimes helps with two-year warranty related claims. See the quote below.

"Q. I've heard that under European Union (EU) law I'm allowed a two year minimum guarantee on goods. Is that correct?

A. EU Directive 1999/44/EC states that all European Union member states must allow consumers to make a claim for faulty or misdescribed goods under their consumer rights for a minimum of two years. English law already allows you to make a claim for up to six years from the date you bought the goods and for up to five years in Scotland. Therefore if you buy any goods from any other EU member state, you can assume that you can make a claim for faulty or misdescribed goods for at least two years after. See the 'Buying goods - your rights' leaflet for more information."

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/brighton-hove/con1item.cgi?file=*ADV0054-1011.txt

Good luck

-- hide signature --
 il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +7 more
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,221Gear list
Like?
One more problem: 18-55 WR is not suitable for rain

Kit lenses with WR designation are not designed for continuous use in rain. I'm not sure how long you've been out, though, so I'm only writing an overview for others to inform too.

Occasional little drizzle, moisture or snowflakes are acceptable, but if shooting in the rain or in sandstorm continuously, Pentax recommends use of DA* lenses.

I do use 18-55 WR sometimes, with occasional little drizzle (if the rain is coming, then I take my camera away) but if it rains, no, I do not use it at all because I know it is not designed for such use. Then, DA* lenses are recommended.

From Pentax material: (click to open PDF)

DA* lenses are designated as dustproof and water resistant (each part is tightly sealed).

WR lenses are designated as weather-resistant (as they have simpler sealing).

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Stephenhampshire
Contributing MemberPosts: 856Gear list
Like?

Simon Devlin wrote:

I knew that mighty mike about the WR.

I'm 99% sure the water has leaked in throught the back of the LCD screen. The camera has switched on now but the waterstaining looks even worse this morning and not in a healthy state as the LCD is flickering.

The K30 simply didn't live up to it's WR status.

I'll look for the documentation and bring it down to the shop today.

I'll have to get it replaced, a non WR camera is useless and that's why I bought it and bought into Pentax.

I want another body, simply as that!

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Simon. there were some reports from early adopters that some K30's had a poor seal around the LCD allowing water ingress. It seems that this could be the case with your camera. It  is worth contacting the UK agents - Johnson's Photopia and explaining the situation as the warranty has only just run out. I had a problem with my K5 a year or so back, as in your case my camera was 2 weeks out of warranty, but Johnsons repaired it quickly (8 days door to door) and for free honouring the spirit of the warranty. I have used a K20 K30 and K5 in the wet, with WR lenses and with non-WR lenses, including older manual glass, and, whilst condensation can be a problem, after careful drying out, everythong has worked again apart from a magnifying eyepiece, which may have survived had I not dis-assembled it to dry it quicker!

Hope you can resolve this problem successfully

-- hide signature --
 Stephenhampshire's gear list:Stephenhampshire's gear list
Samsung TL350 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +13 more
Simon Devlin
Like?
Re: One more problem: 18-55 WR is not suitable for rain
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, 11 months ago

Thanks all for the info,

I'll reply individually later as I don't have time, I'm going down to the Jessops shop shortly.

About the 18-55 WR kit lens: It was absolutely fine, not a single H2O molecule near it or any condensation that I could see.

I'll be back later with info and cheers

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

BarnET
Senior MemberPosts: 1,858Gear list
Like?

Weird.

My K30 took an serious tropical downpour in florida.

It even got hit bad by Shamu in seaworld with no problems.

I just took the water of the front element and kept shooting.

grcolts
Senior MemberPosts: 1,981Gear list
Like?
Re: There was a user on here that destroyed several new K-30... more
In reply to viking79, 11 months ago

viking79 wrote:

There was a user on here that destroyed several new K-30 with water testing the weather sealing, with similar failures as yours. I imagine it isn't as well sealed as the K-5 series cameras.

I can't find it now, but probably back when K-30 was new.

Eric

I have had the K10 since it was released and have never experienced anything like that with it.

It has been out in both light rain and snow with no problems.

GR

grcolts's gear list:grcolts's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS M Pentax K-50
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 14,161
Like?

Simon Devlin wrote:

The bad news... I think it has only 1 year warranty which ran out in December.

I bought it from Jessops online UK. There is a shop in my city...

However they may describe its weather-resistance, I doubt very much any manufacturer or seller would consider a wet camera failure to be a warranty issue.

jamesm007
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,469Gear list
Like?

Simon Devlin wrote:

Well earlier I was using the K30 with 18-55 AL WR kit lens in the rain. When I wasn't using it I put it back into the Hama hard case.

Got back to the cold car and left it in the case so it wouldn't suffer from going from cold to warm in a short period. Eventually got back to house around 1 hour later and took it out, it looked fine and worked. I actually spent a while experimenting with enlarger lenses on extension tubes and took some photos.

Took the battery out for a recharge. 3 hours later put it back in and I notice watermarks/stains inside the LCD screen. Then it gave garbled information saying f1.2 for aperture reading!!! f1.2 on a set of manual extension tubes? Then it froze and I had to take the battery out. I tried this several times over and still no change and the water-staining looks like it might be permanent.

The bad news... I think it has only 1 year warranty which ran out in December.

I bought it from Jessops online UK. There is a shop in my city...

So much for your WR advertising Pentax and marketing this as a hikers camera.

Even if it did work again this is clearly not a WR camera.

I know all about the ambiguity surrounding what WR realy means and litigation.

Any suggestions? Please don't tell me this is going in the bin with no comeback on it!

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

It sucks when are passions break on us. We lose enjoyment, and can cost money that none of us print.

Let it dry for days, put it away with some water absorbent and forget about it.

Its true you should wipe the barrel down when zooming. But I don't think that had anything to do with it. My guess is a seal failed. How and why? The water is only kept out by a felt/rubber wipe.

Water marks behind the LCD screen are nothing to worry about. You can get a new one and the pre-shaped double sided tape from Pentax and or eBay. Use a hair drier to slightly warm it up, and a small suction cup (like for windows they have hooks) pull up one corner of the LCD cover and carefully use a small screw driver to pry it off. Its not on that tight. Carefully clean the LCD screen and put on your new cover and tap. Really all you need is the tape. But when I ordered one it was so cheap I got three of them for my K20D. I definitely don't use screen protectors except on my top screen.

Except the K-3, and K-5II(s), all Pentax weather resistant bodies have a seal going around the LCD itself. Not the top cover, but the LCD screen itself is pressed up against the body with 4 strips of sealing. Like the K-3 and K-5II(s) are. That really makes you wonder how did water get in there and apparently in the body.

I am very optimistic for you I really believe if you let it dry for some days, a week as long as possible all will be OK.

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads