K30 fried after using in rain

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Simon Devlin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,225
Like?
K30 fried after using in rain
3 months ago

Well earlier I was using the K30 with 18-55 AL WR kit lens in the rain. When I wasn't using it I put it back into the Hama hard case.

Got back to the cold car and left it in the case so it wouldn't suffer from going from cold to warm in a short period. Eventually got back to house around 1 hour later and took it out, it looked fine and worked. I actually spent a while experimenting with enlarger lenses on extension tubes and took some photos.

Took the battery out for a recharge. 3 hours later put it back in and I notice watermarks/stains inside the LCD screen. Then it gave garbled information saying f1.2 for aperture reading!!! f1.2 on a set of manual extension tubes? Then it froze and I had to take the battery out. I tried this several times over and still no change and the water-staining looks like it might be permanent.

The bad news... I think it has only 1 year warranty which ran out in December.

I bought it from Jessops online UK. There is a shop in my city...

So much for your WR advertising Pentax and marketing this as a hikers camera.

Even if it did work again this is clearly not a WR camera.

I know all about the ambiguity surrounding what WR realy means and litigation.

Any suggestions? Please don't tell me this is going in the bin with no comeback on it!

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover
Anarcho-primitivist and avid anti-technology advocate

Pentax K-30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Leandros S
Contributing MemberPosts: 740Gear list
Like?
Re: K30 fried after using in rain
In reply to Simon Devlin, 3 months ago

Simon Devlin wrote:

Well earlier I was using the K30 with 18-55 AL WR kit lens in the rain. When I wasn't using it I put it back into the Hama hard case.

Got back to the cold car and left it in the case so it wouldn't suffer from going from cold to warm in a short period. Eventually got back to house around 1 hour later and took it out, it looked fine and worked. I actually spent a while experimenting with enlarger lenses on extension tubes and took some photos.

Took the battery out for a recharge. 3 hours later put it back in and I notice watermarks/stains inside the LCD screen. Then it gave garbled information saying f1.2 for aperture reading!!! f1.2 on a set of manual extension tubes? Then it froze and I had to take the battery out. I tried this several times over and still no change and the water-staining looks like it might be permanent.

Any suggestions? Please don't tell me this is going in the bin with no comeback on it!

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Standard advice is to put it in a container with silica packets (preferred) or rice (if the former not available). You may also want to be advised that you're supposed to wipe off any remaining liquid when you get out of the rain.

Since the water appeared behind the display cover after opening the battery door, there may not be much mystery as to where the water came from.

-- hide signature --

No amount of perceived entitlement can replace actual expertise.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
James O'Neill
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,911
Like?

Simon Devlin wrote:

Yours might not be which suggests a fault in the seals, which is then just like any other failure. Making a claim when the warranty has run out and status of the retailer is unclear (Does "reborn" Jessops have responsibility for "old" Jessops sales) might be a world of frustration. My last two Pentaxes bought from SRS had "two years warranty" written on the receipt, it might be worth checking to see if your warranty really was only one year.

Sinnettc
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,494Gear list
Like?
In reply to Leandros S, 3 months ago

+1 on the rice. One of my K20D's leaked and started overheating (shorted battery?) in the field. Took it home and put it in a bag with a cup of rice for 3 days. No issues since, though I've not taken it out in the pouring rain either. Before I do I think I'll take a look at the gasket with a magnifying glass and make sure there's no hairs or cracks that would cause the leak.

Sinnettc's gear list:Sinnettc's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax Q10 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +2 more
Simon Devlin
Like?
In reply to Leandros S, 3 months ago

Leandros S wrote:

Simon Devlin wrote:

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Standard advice is to put it in a container with silica packets (preferred) or rice (if the former not available). You may also want to be advised that you're supposed to wipe off any remaining liquid when you get out of the rain.

Thanks for the rice. I didn't get out of the rain, I put the camera in the case.

Since the water appeared behind the display cover after opening the battery door, there may not be much mystery as to where the water came from.

? I opened the battery door when it was dry!

The camera is leaking in somewhere and it definitely wasn't the battery compartment.

-- hide signature --

No amount of perceived entitlement can replace actual expertise.

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Simon Devlin
Like?
In reply to Sinnettc, 3 months ago

Sinnettc wrote:

+1 on the rice. One of my K20D's leaked and started overheating (shorted battery?) in the field. Took it home and put it in a bag with a cup of rice for 3 days. No issues since, though I've not taken it out in the pouring rain either. Before I do I think I'll take a look at the gasket with a magnifying glass and make sure there's no hairs or cracks that would cause the leak.

That's fine about the rice but the camera clearly isn't WR. It is supposed to withstand more abuse than this.

If it does dry out OK that means I can't take it out in the rain which is why I bought into the Pentax system!

What gasket? It wasn't the battery compartment, it was as dry as a bone!

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Simon Devlin
Like?
In reply to James O'Neill, 3 months ago

James O'Neill wrote:

Simon Devlin wrote:

Yours might not be which suggests a fault in the seals, which is then just like any other failure. Making a claim when the warranty has run out and status of the retailer is unclear (Does "reborn" Jessops have responsibility for "old" Jessops sales) might be a world of frustration. My last two Pentaxes bought from SRS had "two years warranty" written on the receipt, it might be worth checking to see if your warranty really was only one year.

Thanks James,

There clearly is a fault in the seals. I'm not sure about Jessops but usually a company also buys the previous owners responsibilities.

SRS (I have bought lenses from them) always seem to give a longer warranty somehow.

I'll have a look at the paperwork tomorrow and I hope it does say 2 years.

I'll take it down to the shop and see what they say, then contact Pentax and if I have no success I'm straight off to consumer rights (I have done well here before to say the least)

They'd be very unwise to try and fob me off!

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

britcam
Senior MemberPosts: 1,581Gear list
Like?

Hi Simon,

I seem to remember another poster with soaked K30 ... can't remember when, but it led to quite a long series of helpful posts. Might be worth a search ...

Commiserations in the meantime & good luck ...

Kind regards
Rich S (britcam)

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-01 Fujifilm X-E1 +13 more
afterswish1
Contributing MemberPosts: 614
Like?

Hi Simon,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I hope you get it sorted soon without having to replace the camera. Haven't got any advice really, just wanted to say I think the rice may well do the trick. Fingers crossed.

-- hide signature --

Gravity will make you crazy until you get the hang of it.

Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 1,914Gear list
Like?
Sudden change of temperature

.. created condensation once you opened the battery door / changed the lens.

The camera body was outside, in the rain and cold. The temperature difference is perhaps 15-20 degrees if you account for wind too. Ideally, you should wipe the camera and lens clean and moist free, leave it untouched alone for a few hours in the new temperature to prevent condensation.

I suggest that you now leave the camera in the dark, and moist- and dust-free area at a constant room temperature, with open lens mount and battery door open too. Put a bag of silica under each and keep it like that for half a day at least.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
kikivrany
Senior MemberPosts: 2,719
Like?

Hello Simon Devlin

If you have no silica....use your refrigerator.

OK it sounds strange...but a refrigerator do dry the things inside it very well.

Of cause, do not use the area, which is under zero. Put the camera in the area, where are the +7...8°C in the refrigerator. The dry air in the Refrigerator do extrats the water out of your camera...so let the camera open for this (batterie door open, or no lens atatched)

But when you put out the camera...close the batterie door and attache the lens before you do that (best do it when the camera is in the refrigerator), and put the cold camera at once back in the bag, else you get condensing again.

best regads...and best of luck

kikivrany

-- hide signature --

carpe noctem

leopold
Forum ProPosts: 11,993Gear list
Like?

Might be useful to you, i dropped my 7D and 400mm/5.6 L in the water last summer, they survived and still work after 1 week with rice:

http://steevemarcoux2.com/2013/07/11/saving-a-camera-and-lens-damaged-by-water/

Clavestone
Regular MemberPosts: 392
Like?

I have a K5 and have had it out in several rain storms with my 50-135 f2.8 without any issues. If you want to see an example go to    you tube dot com   and search by my name   eric wethington  and find my    Hurricane Sandy vs Edgewater park   video. Not the best video, but 30-50 mph winds with waves clearing 50-60 ft past the break walls.

-- hide signature --

in my bag...
K5, 10-17 DA, 35 f2.4 DA, 50mm F1.8 DA, 17-70 f4 DA, 50-135 f2.8 DA*
360 flash

Clavestone
Regular MemberPosts: 392
Like?

my other thought might have been the pressure change from mountains to a more normal level. You stated in another thread that you were up in the mountains shooting, the pressure change may have gotten to the camera. (AFAIK camera is not pressure resistant, otherwise might be labled water proof to handle minimal underwater pressure)

just a thought?

-- hide signature --

in my bag...
K5, 10-17 DA, 35 f2.4 DA, 50mm F1.8 DA, 17-70 f4 DA, 50-135 f2.8 DA*
360 flash

The Andy G
Senior MemberPosts: 1,048Gear list
Like?

Store it in a bag of rice for a day or two with the lens off to suck any humidity out of the device.

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Wait for the bright flash so I can steal your soul. Smile!

The Andy G's gear list:The Andy G's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G
minzaw
Regular MemberPosts: 445
Like?
Re: K30 fried after using in rain USER ADVICE
  1. 1.You must wiped clean with microfibre cloth after using in wind and rain. NEVER put back in the hard case once the camera is wet.
  2. Temperature variation and change may develop condensation
  3. Water loss are by these mechanisms, namely Evaporation,Conduction,Convection and radiation.That means there must be water egress in the open.If not ,like keeping in a tight hard case the water could only goes inside (water ingress) due to cohesiveness and capillary action of water.
  4. So it should be put outside of the bag ,wiped thoroughly and kept for at least half day in constant temperature where by all mechanisms of water loss to take place and to create dryness.
  5. Silica gel and rice acts as Adsorbents to the water and they have also suffered plateau effects of saturation depending upon the amount and duration of exposure.
  6. I am not sure about as somebody suggested affects of barometric changes(ambient pressure)
  7. AFAIAA no problems with my K5 and K30

I hope rice will do the trick in your case

Good luck

minzaw

http://i35.tinypic.com/11bngox.gif
10% equipment+40%lighting+50%person behind the camera
http://www.flickr.com/photos/myanmarmauk

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 12,582Gear list
Like?
There was a user on here that destroyed several new K-30... more

There was a user on here that destroyed several new K-30 with water testing the weather sealing, with similar failures as yours.  I imagine it isn't as well sealed as the K-5 series cameras.

I can't find it now, but probably back when K-30 was new.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +7 more
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 29,653
Like?

WR means weather resistant not water proof!

EDIT ADD: used a number of my cameras out in the rain without weather sealed lenses of any sort... had minor problems occur twice but never water inside the body, on the mount contacts yes but not in the body. the 2 issues were minor and fixed themselves when the lens was properly dried/aired out.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Sinnettc
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,494Gear list
Like?

Sorry, misread your comment.  I thought you said there was water in the battery compartment.  Pretty sure that's where mine leaked and it definitely wasn't dry inside.

Sinnettc's gear list:Sinnettc's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax Q10 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +2 more
Simon Devlin
Like?
Re: Sudden change of temperature
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, 3 months ago

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

.. created condensation once you opened the battery door / changed the lens.

I never opened the battery door until around 5 hours after I got in!

I never changed the lens.

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads