It aint over until the duck quacks:) D7100

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Humanoid
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,461Gear list
Like?
It aint over until the duck quacks:) D7100
6 months ago

I've been up to no good and was doing a shoot out with my D7100 and D800e and heres a few from the D7100.  The last one is my pic.

Shot with a monopod and mh-01 pro head with the 600mm VR lens.

peace,

Ray

Humanoid's gear list:Humanoid's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +7 more
Nikon D7100 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,269Gear list
Like?
Re: It aint over until the duck quacks:) D7100
In reply to Humanoid, 6 months ago

Excellent colour and detail Ray. Who won?

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Humanoid
Like?
In reply to JimPearce, 6 months ago

JimPearce wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jim

Hi Jim,

Guess nobody appreciates me over here in "kiddy land".   I suppose I should shoot more Zoo type images and post them here.  Its only a rumor, but I hear zoo critters don't runaway and you can snap until you get it right.:)

The D7100 held up nicely in my shootout and still impresses, even shot at a higher ISO to stack the deck against it.

The level of detail with the D800e is noticeable.:)  The lack of the crop factor hasn't really been an issue yet with the 600mm lens.

The D7100 color seems more robust/richer over the D800e with the same settings, but the auto WB of the D800e is slightly better.  I may go back to shooting auto wb.

I have a few decent images with the TC14eII, but not quite dialed in with it yet. I'll post a pic below.  I think I'm going to send the D800e in to Nikon to maximize the sharpness like I have with the D7100, as I feel I'm in between adjustments.

The thin dof with the D800e is the worst part and requires images that would be F7.1 with the D7100 to be around F9 with the D800e.

The ISO of the D800e is real nice and whats not to love about the crop factor.:)

Shot on a monopod and mh-01 pro head.

Ray

Iain G Foulds
Senior MemberPosts: 1,024
Like?

... Ray: I would gently offer that the art of photography is the consideration of the composition as a whole, and not merely pointing a camera and taking sharp pictures of things.

... In the world, there are trillions of sharp duck photos. It is the context and and compliment of the background and foreground which separates and distinguishes.

... Hey, don't post photos if you are only looking for compliments.

JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,269Gear list
Like?
Zoo shots are popular on the FX forum too!

Funny, I was just talking to a DPReview poster yesterday about this forum. I think there is limited interest in some of the exotic lenses we old curmudgeons shoot with here, which is somewhat understandable. However, I sense the center of gravity has shifted from the 70-300 to the 300 f4, which is progress. By the way, I cleaned the contacts on my 300 f2.8 VR and it seems to be responding better on the D7100. Good luck with the D800E. I flipped a coin - I really think the D800E plus TC and D7100 without are pretty damned close. If I had a 600mm rather than a 500 and did some landscape like you do I would have bought a D800E.

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
Humanoid
Like?
In reply to Iain G Foulds, 6 months ago

Iain G Foulds wrote:

... Ray: I would gently offer that the art of photography is the consideration of the composition as a whole, and not merely pointing a camera and taking sharp pictures of things.

... In the world, there are trillions of sharp duck photos. It is the context and and compliment of the background and foreground which separates and distinguishes.

You know Ian, I just pulled you out of my ignore list, but gladly will place your back in there.   Don't tell me what or when to post sheesh what a silly person you must be.  Your better off learning how to use a camera instead of slaming people that do.  Back in the dog house you go never to leave again.

Ray

Humanoid
Like?
Re: Zoo shots are popular on the FX forum too!
In reply to JimPearce, 6 months ago

JimPearce wrote:

Funny, I was just talking to a DPReview poster yesterday about this forum. I think there is limited interest in some of the exotic lenses we old curmudgeons shoot with here, which is somewhat understandable. However, I sense the center of gravity has shifted from the 70-300 to the 300 f4, which is progress. By the way, I cleaned the contacts on my 300 f2.8 VR and it seems to be responding better on the D7100. Good luck with the D800E. I flipped a coin - I really think the D800E plus TC and D7100 without are pretty damned close. If I had a 600mm rather than a 500 and did some landscape like you do I would have bought a D800E.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Yep its close, but not close enough Jim. Remember your getting a 3rd more crop factor with res and it shows.

I don't think its all of dpr just this forum mainly. I always loved to view images taken with exotics. Most peeps are buying the cameras in this forum because they are less expensive and money is an issue so certainly the lenses are few in choice.  I can understand that specially, in these times we live in.

The bigger issue is since Phil Askey no longer has the say so many get away with a lot of chit here and wouldn't have the guts to do it in person and the mods are wayyyyy too passive except for tof guy he keeps it on track.

Ray

wildlifr
Contributing MemberPosts: 788Gear list
Like?

Humanoid wrote:

Iain G Foulds wrote:

Back in the dog house you go never to leave again.

Ray

Did the same thing a few weeks ago. I don't anticipate changing my mind. Very sharp shots, BTW.

wildlifr's gear list:wildlifr's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II +1 more
Shunda77
Senior MemberPosts: 1,640Gear list
Like?
In reply to Iain G Foulds, 6 months ago

Iain G Foulds wrote:

Gee whiz Iain, I think ole ray is doing a bit better with the D7100 than you have been, I'm still trying to figure out how you got such noisy soft ISO 360 shots.

These ducks are superbly sharp and detailed.

Iain G Foulds
Senior MemberPosts: 1,024
Like?
In reply to Shunda77, 6 months ago

... Shunda: I would be disappointed if all anyone had to say about my photos is that they were "sharp".

herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 3,451Gear list
Like?

Humanoid wrote:

JimPearce wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jim

Hi Jim,

Guess nobody appreciates me over here in "kiddy land". I suppose I should shoot more Zoo type images and post them here. Its only a rumor, but I hear zoo critters don't runaway and you can snap until you get it right.:)

The D7100 held up nicely in my shootout and still impresses, even shot at a higher ISO to stack the deck against it.

The level of detail with the D800e is noticeable.:) The lack of the crop factor hasn't really been an issue yet with the 600mm lens.

The D7100 color seems more robust/richer over the D800e with the same settings, but the auto WB of the D800e is slightly better. I may go back to shooting auto wb.

I have a few decent images with the TC14eII, but not quite dialed in with it yet. I'll post a pic below. I think I'm going to send the D800e in to Nikon to maximize the sharpness like I have with the D7100, as I feel I'm in between adjustments.

The thin dof with the D800e is the worst part and requires images that would be F7.1 with the D7100 to be around F9 with the D800e.

The ISO of the D800e is real nice and whats not to love about the crop factor.:)

Shot on a monopod and mh-01 pro head.

Ray

I understand what you mean with fighting the DOF...been having my own joy with the 1.4 lousy light on the 300 f4 trying to shoot eagles lately on the D800...Today was the first day that the light was decent, but I still don't have things quite dialed back in since I got it back from Nikon. I'm not sure if it came back better or worse from when Nikon had it.

Tusk24
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shunda77, 6 months ago

Shunda77 wrote:

Iain G Foulds wrote:

Gee whiz Iain, I think ole ray is doing a bit better with the D7100 than you have been, I'm still trying to figure out how you got such noisy soft ISO 360 shots.

Perhaps the ducks ought to be superbly sharp with a monster lens like the 600mm VR.

Talk about David and Goliath.

Tusk24's gear list:Tusk24's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D70s Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
herbymel
Like?
In reply to Tusk24, 6 months ago

Tusk24 wrote:

Shunda77 wrote:

Iain G Foulds wrote:

Perhaps the ducks ought to be superbly sharp with a monster lens like the 600mm VR.

As far as pure sharpness is concerned the lens Iain is shooting with is no slouch.

Tusk24
Like?
In reply to herbymel, 6 months ago

herbymel wrote:

Tusk24 wrote:

Shunda77 wrote:

Iain G Foulds wrote:

As far as pure sharpness is concerned the lens Iain is shooting with is no slouch.

Agreed.

But,respectfully, he has to get a whole lot closer for the same shot.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D70s Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 5,523Gear list
Like?

Humanoid wrote:

JimPearce wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jim

Hi Jim,

Guess nobody appreciates me over here in "kiddy land". I suppose I should shoot more Zoo type images and post them here. Its only a rumor, but I hear zoo critters don't runaway and you can snap until you get it right.:)

I don't understand the reason for this comment.  If it is for a lack of response to these images, they have only been up for a short while.  Give us some time to view.  I actually saw your report in the full frame forum first and was interested in opening the dx version.  No need for the condescension.  I think many people are interested and, sometimes, open a thread without commenting.  That does not mean that the images do not have impact.  As far as I know, there is no record of thread views.  Maybe there is some other meaning to the above comment.   Until you say, I am going to go to my backyard where I am taking pics of a chained goose.

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +2 more
herbymel
Like?

Tusk24 wrote:

herbymel wrote:

Tusk24 wrote:

Shunda77 wrote:

Iain G Foulds wrote:

Agreed.

With the birds he's shooting that's a whole lot easier...some of those birds will come within feet of you if given the chance.

Tusk24
Like?

herbymel wrote:

Tusk24 wrote:

herbymel wrote:

Tusk24 wrote:

Shunda77 wrote:

Iain G Foulds wrote:

Agreed.

With the birds he's shooting that's a whole lot easier...some of those birds will come within feet of you if given the chance.

So what lens would you have for bird photography if offered?

600mm f4 VR or 70-200 f4 ?

Yes, me too.

herbymel
Like?

Tusk24 wrote:

herbymel wrote:

Tusk24 wrote:

herbymel wrote:

Tusk24 wrote:

Shunda77 wrote:

Iain G Foulds wrote:

Agreed.

600mm f4 VR or 70-200 f4 ?

Yes, me too.

solely depended on what I was shooting and how far away they were...if I was shooting what Iain was and how he shoots. He'd look a little ridiculous on his walks through the park with the 600mm strapped to him. Given the distance...the 600mm would be an entire waste of time...wouldn't even be able to acquire focus...given my own shooting...I don't bother with birds like that. No interest, not really much for ducks either. I will take and am saving for a 500mm, but I also have a 300mm and a 80-200...it's not the size of the lens, when you use it, and the conditions that you use it in. Personally I'd also like the 70-200 and am considering that as a purchase down the line as well. I like the 80-200, but don't use it as much because what I shoot is usually further away and more challenging. It also doesn't have VR and as I get older I find I could use it.

Humanoid
Like?
In reply to Brev00, 6 months ago

Brev00 wrote:

Humanoid wrote:

JimPearce wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jim

Hi Jim,

I don't understand the reason for this comment. If it is for a lack of response to these images, they have only been up for a short while. Give us some time to view. I actually saw your report in the full frame forum first and was interested in opening the dx version. No need for the condescension. I think many people are interested and, sometimes, open a thread without commenting. That does not mean that the images do not have impact. As far as I know, there is no record of thread views. Maybe there is some other meaning to the above comment. Until you say, I am going to go to my backyard where I am taking pics of a chained goose.

I was replying to Jim with the quote as he had stated a few days ago nothing to get your panties in a bunch over. 

Ray

Tusk24
Like?

herbymel wrote:

Tusk24 wrote:

herbymel wrote:

Tusk24 wrote:

herbymel wrote:

Tusk24 wrote:

Shunda77 wrote:

Iain G Foulds wrote:

Agreed.

600mm f4 VR or 70-200 f4 ?

Yes, me too.

solely depended on what I was shooting and how far away they were...if I was shooting what Iain was and how he shoots. He'd look a little ridiculous on his walks through the park with the 600mm strapped to him. Given the distance...the 600mm would be an entire waste of time...wouldn't even be able to acquire focus...given my own shooting...I don't bother with birds like that. No interest, not really much for ducks either. I will take and am saving for a 500mm, but I also have a 300mm and a 80-200...it's not the size of the lens, when you use it, and the conditions that you use it in. Personally I'd also like the 70-200 and am considering that as a purchase down the line as well. I like the 80-200, but don't use it as much because what I shoot is usually further away and more challenging. It also doesn't have VR and as I get older I find I could use it.

Herby, my original response was to Shunda77.

I felt he was unfairly knocking Iain's D7100 photography to Humanoid's (who has IMO a Huge Advantage with 600mm VR lens) when you're shooting wildlife. As i said, kinda David and Goliath stuff.

But,I hear you, I also have 300mm f4 AF lens from the film days that I still find excellent from time to time(should use it more!).

Not evading you or anyone,but I'm off to bed now.

Best wishes.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads