Would you call this pixel peeping:

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Prognathous
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,717
Like?
Would you call this pixel peeping:
11 months ago

When I'm showing pictures from a trip to friends, I prefer to display the picture on my FullHD 50" TV rather than pass around small prints. In some cases, the picture contains multiple subjects and many interesting details, so I switch to 100% magnification and show specific parts which include details I consider worth focusing on. In practice, I use the same technique people use when pixel peeping (100% magnification), and if image quality is lacking it's tough for me not to notice it, though I don't tend to point to technical shortcomings. Would you call this practice "pixel peeping"?

Prog.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oren_b

AlphaTikal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,539Gear list
Like?
Re: Would you call this pixel peeping:
In reply to Prognathous, 11 months ago

Yes. As long as you know that and don't overrate single pixels, there is no problem with it. I am doing it too. Just don't forget the whole image.
--
· http://www.flickr.com/photos/blackhole_eater/
· (All photos are creative common licensed. Check them out.)
· English is not my native language.

AlphaTikal's gear list:AlphaTikal's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro Sony SLT-A65 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lightpath48
Senior MemberPosts: 2,393Gear list
Like?

My impression of pixel-peeping is that it is an overemphasis on pixel-level image quality. Pixel-peepers are perhaps more interested in the performance aspects of their cameras than in making photos. It doesn't seem from your original post that your primary viewing intent is to show your friends and family the pixel level performance of your camera. You're doing the enlarging to see more details in subjects that are your main interest. To my understanding this isn't pixel-peeping.

Lightpath48's gear list:Lightpath48's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D3300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II
Mike CH
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,543Gear list
Like?
No

To me, pixel-peeping is more about the quality (of a limited amount) of pixels. It seems to me that you are more concerned with the content - and if there is interesting content in the small details, then zoom in to your hearts delight.

Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...

Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +8 more
Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,663
Like?
Oh Lordie Lordie

I thought (well, more like hoped) inflicting travel happy snaps had departed long ago.  What a way to treat your friends.  Keep doing that and they could well become your fiends!   

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm (Includes links to "bassotto's" images)
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=35565277
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

Shutterbug013
Forum MemberPosts: 92Gear list
Like?
In my opinion
In reply to Mike CH, 11 months ago

For me pixel-peeping is checking that the image is sharp and clear (as oppose to hazy) at 100%.

Shutterbug013's gear list:Shutterbug013's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +1 more
Laurentiu Todie
Senior MemberPosts: 2,567
Like?
Re: Oh Lordie Lordie
In reply to Zone8, 11 months ago

Pixels peeping free-for-all

http://photo.net/learn/optics/pixel_peep/pixel_peep_part1.html

http://www.seditionart.com/laurentiu_todie

-- hide signature --

PixelsPainting.com

Prognathous
Like?
Re: Oh Lordie Lordie
In reply to Zone8, 11 months ago

Zone8 wrote:

I thought (well, more like hoped) inflicting travel happy snaps had departed long ago. What a way to treat your friends. Keep doing that and they could well become your fiends!

I limit the number of pictures I show to the very best pictures (which include zero pictures I would refer to as "snaps"), usually around 30~50 pictures for a week of travel. Twice for a two week trip. Not only are people not complaining, they usually ask to see more. If people show lack of interest when viewing your pictures you might want to check the reason for that.

Prog.
--

Prognathous
Like?
In reply to AlphaTikal, 11 months ago

AlphaTikal wrote:

Yes. As long as you know that and don't overrate single pixels, there is no problem with it. I am doing it too. Just don't forget the whole image.

The whole image is what I usually the only thing I show. Only when the image is packed with multiple subjects and other interesting details to I switch to higher magnification view. I'd say it happens in 10-15% of the pictures.

Prog.

edispics
Senior MemberPosts: 1,669
Like?
How About: Cruel and Unusual Punishment? :) n/t
No text.
lickity split
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112Gear list
Like?

Prognathous wrote:

When I'm showing pictures from a trip to friends, I prefer to display the picture on my FullHD 50" TV rather than pass around small prints. In some cases, the picture contains multiple subjects and many interesting details, so I switch to 100% magnification and show specific parts which include details I consider worth focusing on. In practice, I use the same technique people use when pixel peeping (100% magnification), and if image quality is lacking it's tough for me not to notice it, though I don't tend to point to technical shortcomings. Would you call this practice "pixel peeping"?

Prog.
--

If your friends start to fall asleep while your pointing out every last detail of your vacation snaps, I won't consider that "pixel peeping" a little boring maybe.

lickity split's gear list:lickity split's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
The Term Pixel Peeping is Idiotic

Prognathous wrote:

Prog.
--

Pixel peeping is one of the most idiotic terms used in digital photography today.  Viewing an image at 100%  is no more different than viewing a slide or negative under magnification. It is the only way to determine the true technical quality of a photograph.

My advice to you is to immediately stop using such a ridiculous term and to try and get others to do the same. View your images however you want to view them and to hell with what people say.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to AlphaTikal, 11 months ago

AlphaTikal wrote:

Every single pixel is important. Ironically, overrating "single pixels" is exactly what the vast majority of cameras with Bayer sensors do.

Viewing images at 100% **IS** "the whole image!"

-- hide signature --

Prognathous
Like?
Re: How About: Cruel and Unusual Punishment? :)
In reply to edispics, 11 months ago
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Lightpath48, 11 months ago

Lightpath48 wrote:

My impression of pixel-peeping is that it is an overemphasis on pixel-level image quality.

There's no such a thing. Pixels make up a digital image so. All of them are important.

Pixel-peepers are perhaps more interested in the performance aspects of their cameras than in making photos.

A proper photographer is not only seeking artistic excellence but also technical excellence. Something as fundamental as maximizing image detail and sharpness can only be properly detrmined by viewing at 100%. Back in the film days that would have been done under a loupe.

It doesn't seem from your original post that your primary viewing intent is to show your friends and family the pixel level performance of your camera. You're doing the enlarging to see more details in subjects that are your main interest. To my understanding this isn't pixel-peeping.

The term pixel peeping is applied to people that view their images at 100%. It's an idiotic term.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: No
In reply to Mike CH, 11 months ago

Mike CH wrote:

To me, pixel-peeping is more about the quality (of a limited amount) of pixels. It seems to me that you are more concerned with the content - and if there is interesting content in the small details, then zoom in to your hearts delight.

All of the pixels determine "the quality" of a digital image. They are all important.

Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...

lickity split
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112Gear list
Like?
 lickity split's gear list:lickity split's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
AlphaTikal
Like?
In reply to Basalite, 11 months ago

Its a definition problem here. Of course every pixel is important. But not the pixel alone. I am just saying he should not forget to enlarge until whole image with all pixels are seen at once. If someone does it differently, then he is free to do it.
--

Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro Sony SLT-A65 +10 more
Mike CH
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,543Gear list
Like?
Re: No
In reply to Basalite, 11 months ago

Basalite wrote:

Mike CH wrote:

All of the pixels determine "the quality" of a digital image. They are all important.

Perhaps.

But are they all equally important?

And are they more important when viewed in isolation? Or less?

You can easily have a whole slew of perfect pixels, which add up to a completely uninteresting image. And vice versa.

When you pixel-peep you are more interested in the quality of a limited area of the image than in the quality of the whole image (by necessity, as it is more difficult to see  the whole image when a part is enlarged to 100%). Pixel-peeping also has the bad connotation of measurebating with test charts et all...

Do note that I am not saying that you should not look at an image at pixel level. Of course you can and should as circumstances require. One should just not forget that that is not the whole story, eh image.

Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...

Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +8 more
AlphaTikal
Like?

Maybe there are different definitions of pixel peeping. But really, don't worry about the calling and namkng your way, if you are happy with. I thought first you described a hypotetical operation to understand the meaning of pixel peeping.
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads