Joseph T Lewis III
Senior MemberPosts: 1,554Gear list
Like?
Misleading Subject Line, Pure and Simple
In reply to smithling, 8 months ago

smithling wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

broody wrote:

He just says he's reviewing a camera; the only one we know of that is rumored to be announced/released in January is the EM10, so it's an easy bet that's the one he's talking about.

Okay, I guess the OP was just meant to drive traffic to that guy's website and nothing else.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Wrong guess, Bub. I thought people here would be interested in the article. There is a MICRO FOUR THIRDS sign over this forum's door, is there not?

Yes BUB, but misleading, unsubstantiated subject lines designed to draw people's attention is not what most people on this forum expect. Based on the subject of the original post, the images one would expect to see would be limited to: a) photos OF an EM-10 with the new Olympus 25mm f/1.8 lens attached, or b) photos TAKEN BY an EM-10 with new Olympus 25mm 1.8 lens attached.  Instead, we get a link to a site that is playing a coy little guessing game.

On the other hand, if the subject had been "Tantalizing Post by Robin Wong: Possible E-M10 Pics" or similar, that would be another story altogether.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cani
Regular MemberPosts: 351Gear list
Like?
Re: Sample Photos of a cam with PDAF on sensor

Looks like at least.

Cani's gear list:Cani's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +9 more
smithling
Regular MemberPosts: 300Gear list
Like?
Incorrect expectations. Nothing purer than that.
In reply to Joseph T Lewis III, 8 months ago

Joseph T Lewis III wrote:

Based on the subject of the original post, the images one would expect to see

That's what you would expect to see. If you had carefully read the quote I included in the OP, then you might have understood the nature of the post. Instead, your narrow expectations have deluded your comprehension because the quote quite clearly implies exactly what the article is.

Instead, we get a link to a site that is playing a coy little guessing game.

What did you think "I shall show a few of the images I have taken so far with this new camera, and can you guess which camera and lens combination used to take the following images?" means?

On the other hand, if the subject had been "Tantalizing Post by Robin Wong: Possible E-M10 Pics" or similar, that would be another story altogether.

Just pretend that the title of the forum post is as you say... Ready? Now what do you think about the article?

Paulmorgan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,696
Like?
Re: Incorrect expectations. Nothing purer than that.

I was thinking the Stylus 1.

But with those bird shots I`m not so sure, unless it has some kind of defocus trickery built in.

A new lens for sure, maybe the new 40-150 from Olympus.

DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,029Gear list
Like?
Re: Sample Photos: EM-10 with new Oly 25mm 1.8 lens

Many thanks for posting yhe link.  I always enjoy Robin Wong's reviews of new Olympus gear.  I did enjoy the photos he posted.

Since the Stylus One is already out I wouldn't think the photos would be from the Stylus One.  He always likes to time his blog review for the day of the actual announcement.  So I am guessing the E-M10 and the 40-150 f2.8.  Anyhow it sounds like the Olympus announcement is coming in a few days.

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
Joseph T Lewis III
Senior MemberPosts: 1,554Gear list
Like?

smithling wrote:

That's what you would expect to see. If you had carefully read the quote I included in the OP, then you might have understood the nature of the post.

I shall show a few of the images I have taken so far with this new camera, and can you guess which camera and lens combination used to take the following images

Instead, your narrow expectations have deluded your comprehension because the quote quite clearly implies exactly what the article is.

What did you think "I shall show a few of the images I have taken so far with this new camera, and can you guess which camera and lens combination used to take the following images?" means?

Well, since you asked: based on the subject line of the original post, I was expecting to see images taken with the E-M10, and in addition some additional photos taken with other cameras and lenses.

Just pretend that the title of the forum post is as you say... Ready? Now what do you think about the article?

I think the images are very nice, and am mildly interested in which camera and lens took them.  However, I am much MORE interested in seeing pics of the new E-M10 and 25mm lens, which were disappointingly absent from Robin's blog.

At any rate, it's a slow Sunday afternoon, so thanks for the diversion.

Tom

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Vinc T
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?
Official Announcement in a Few Hours...

According to what Jackie Loi said at 43 rumors!

ApertureAcolyte
Contributing MemberPosts: 875Gear list
Like?
Re: Mosquito feeding on the parrot!
In reply to Vinc T, 8 months ago

Vinc T wrote:

That shot is great!!!

Hope the parrot doesn't get any mosquito borne diseases

ApertureAcolyte's gear list:ApertureAcolyte's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Jasonmon
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?

It's the STYLUS 1.

-- hide signature --

My Speak Art blog.

Jasonmon's gear list:Jasonmon's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,851
Like?
In reply to broody, 8 months ago

broody wrote:

That bokeh blur is too large for a normal lens, this is a telephoto.

+1

I wouldn't get too excited that we're seeing images from a new lens, as RW only hints that he's reviewing a body (which is obviously the EM10) and he never alludes that he has an unreleased lens in his hands, so this is probably the 75mm Zuiko.

+1

Then again, who knows, we just might be looking at the first images from the 40-150mm Pro lens

Fsi
Fsi
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?

From Robin Wong,

" I shall show a few of the images I have taken so far with this new camera, and can you guess which camera and lens combination used to take the following images?"

http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2014/01/guess-what-camera-i-am-reviewing-now.html

Well done,amazing insight op.

Fsi's gear list:Fsi's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,919Gear list
Like?
In reply to broody, 8 months ago

broody wrote:

That bokeh blur is too large for a normal lens, this is a telephoto. I wouldn't get too excited that we're seeing images from a new lens, as RW only hints that he's reviewing a body (which is obviously the EM10) and he never alludes that he has an unreleased lens in his hands, so this is probably the 75mm Zuiko. Then again, who knows, we just might be looking at the first images from the 40-150mm Pro lens

He didn't say a body, but a camera; the focal length are very different between the shots, from almost macro to tele. For sure, it isn't a 75mm, because it has a too long nearest focusing distance which would make the food shots near impossible to shoot.

Given RW statement that the IQ would surprise us, it is probably a compact zoom offering a very wide range of finals. Aka what mist name a compact travel camera.

Edit : thinking to it, the DOF may be too thin for a compact.. So we may look at MFT gear after all.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,683Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim Salvas, 8 months ago

Jim Salvas wrote:

In the comments, he pointed out that the bird pics are a clue to the lens.

How about a Zeiss Touit for m4/3 (Zeiss named the Touit range after a genus of parrots)?

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
smithling
Like?
In reply to Jasonmon, 8 months ago

It's the STYLUS 1.

-- hide signature --

My Speak Art blog.

Wow. Was I ever wrong.

Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 12,803
Like?
Olympus STYLUS 1

I see there is a review of the Olympus STYLUS 1 up now. You were wrong about everything and I will let you sort out your own psychological problems that would cause you to lie and post a link to a website that gets people to click on it based on that.  Did that website owner privately tell you the photos he posted were from the E-M10 and 25mm f1.8?  If so, then you may be angry with him since he used you as a patsy to drive traffic to his site.  If not, then I am flummoxed.

As a reminder to you and everyone else, this is what you wrote:

Sample Photos: EM-10 with new Oly 25mm 1.8 lens

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

D200_4me
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,392Gear list
Like?
Stylus photos just prove...

What we've known all along.   Depending on the focal length AND the distance you are form the subject, it IS possible to get shallow DOF even with a point and shoot.  Too funny.  It would be nice if people that screech about DOF actually go out and try some shots with a point and shoot to see for themselves that you really can (in some situations) get that shallow DOF.

No, of course it's not ever going to be shallow like a full frame or even APS-C in most situations, but Robin's post just proved how hysterical people can get and how easy it is to fool people into believing a bigger sensor camera was used.

So anyway....we're all better off to go out and shoot and enjoy ourselves, rather than have endless pixel-peeping / gear debates.   It's one thing to discuss features and functions, but it's something else to constantly debate what ends up being nothing more than photographic technique and personal style.

CAUTION:  Point and shoot (P7000) shallow DOF photo below

-- hide signature --
 D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +4 more
Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 12,803
Like?
Re: Olympus STYLUS 1
In reply to Henry Richardson, 8 months ago

Look, on reflection I figure you just wanted to have a bit of fun with people here and you probably did.  That's fine.  Go in peace.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

Sho-Bud
Regular MemberPosts: 335Gear list
Like?

Besides the depth of field, the details in the feathers don't disappoint me, especially since it's a 10x zoom lens.
--
###Olympus XZ-1, Olympus SP550UZ; Olympus 2003 Ferrari Edition, Capture One 7###

Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 3,821
Like?

That's what you would expect to see. If you had carefully read the quote I included in the OP, then you might have understood the nature of the post. Instead, your narrow expectations have deluded your comprehension because the quote quite clearly implies exactly what the article is.

Op, just admit it, it's a misleading title written that way for sensationalism and drama.

smithling
Like?

Henry Richardson wrote:

Look, on reflection I figure you just wanted to have a bit of fun with people here and you probably did. That's fine. Go in peace.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

Obviously I was wrong, and have no problem being so. I don't take myself as seriously as you seem to take me. I was hoping it was the EM-10 and for fun, made a public prediction. )If you read Wong's follow-up post, he actually apologized for the misleading wording in the teaser article. New camera AND lens, he originally said.)

As far as wanting to drive people to his website -- that line of reasoning is completely delusional on your part. I don't have any connection to him and any amount of common sense would prevail with that conclusion. In fact, I dislike his blog, because his reviews are nothing but PR.

As for my intent, OP, and title, you simply misunderstood. That's ok, just don't blame me for it. My title could have been better, but if you read the post and the quote I provided, everything was obvious. A handful of people other than yourself comprehended just fine.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads