Please help me to stay with Pentax!

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
david tittermary
Contributing MemberPosts: 543
Like?
Re: D600+Samy35/1.4 = hand-held Night-Shots at iso100-200
In reply to david tittermary, 11 months ago

david tittermary wrote:

... I'm glad you think that the only way to get those shots, was with ff...

don't try a 35/1.4 on a FF !

Many of your photographs like this one :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tittermary/10658292345/

I can easily shoot the same or better with my 150 €uro Zoom P&S !

My point exactly, I don't 35 1.4, but I do have 85 1.4 and a 35 2.0 but whatever
--
david t
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tittermary/

That was shot on ff Nikon btw.
--
david t
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tittermary/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
photodog25
Regular MemberPosts: 387
Like?
Re: Please help me to stay with Pentax!
In reply to audiobomber, 11 months ago

audiobomber wrote:

photodog25 wrote:

In his case, maintaining a sufficient depth-of-field was a necessary factor for him. So, roughly, f2.8 on the EM-1 = f4 on the D7100 = f5.6 on the 6D to maintain equivalent depth of field.

So use the smaller aperture and just boost the ISO on the larger-sensored cameras. You will have the same amount of noise, and the same results.

-- hide signature --

Dan

Dan,

That is exactly my point. For a guy who doesn't care about thin depth-of-field, but just wants to maintain the same depth of field in his shooting, the large sensored cameras do not hold a great advantage and they are expensive and bulky/heavy.

Now the EM-1 wasn't inexpensive, but together with the 12-40/2.8, offered my friend the best combination of fast autofocusing, low-light ability, and image quality.

The OP asked to help him stay with Pentax. So, my response was not to blindly chose the largest sensor, but to evaluate your needs and make a decision based on how you shoot. If you want razor thin depth-of-field or own a giant assortment of existing film lenses, and want the very best possible image quality and you are willing to pay the big bucks, then choosing a full frame camera may be a good decision.

In my friend's case, he wanted decent low noise and dynamic range, fast AFS autofocusing in low light (EV 7 or 8), one fast normal focal length zoom lens that was sharp wide open, and his biggest possible print size he could ever see making was 11x14 inches. I think he made a great choice.

Choosing the biggest sensor is not always the best strategy and that was the point of my post.

Nick

kenwklau
Regular MemberPosts: 268Gear list
Like?
Re: Looks like K3 WB is off
In reply to awaldram, 11 months ago

awaldram wrote:

kenwklau wrote:

Thank you, Zvonimir! I like deep analysis in your posts!

Audrius

Hi Audrious,

With that yellowish cast on the K3 photo, I wonder if the SENt on it was set right.
--
Regards,
Ken

I'm surprised, as you gear lit includes k30 you make this remark.

As you should be aware Pentax believe the image should represent what your eyes see as such under artificial light they do not correct to the point the cast is daylight but leave some of the original ambiance.

This is another 'adjustable' setting and personally I think Pentax get it right, When shooting under candles I hate that 'shot in midday sun' look every other manufacturer seems to think is reasonable.

I first saw that with my new smartphone on which the OP's K3 photo looked very yellowish.  I do know what and how my K-30 render indoor lighting but I thought that was still too yellowish from "what an indoor lighting condition looks like in my mind".

Now on my 22 in LCD screen the K3's photo do look more natural than the Canon and Nikon.

BTW, the K-30 Auto mode setting will give a warmer than "what it should be appearance".

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken

kenwklau's gear list:kenwklau's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Canon PowerShot G15 Pentax K-30 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads