Please help me to stay with Pentax!

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
citrontokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 772Gear list
Like?
Re: No!
In reply to newmikey, 9 months ago

newmikey wrote:

Besides that, I couldn't care a horse's behind whether or not you or anyone else stays with Pentax, not even whether I myself will. A camera is a tool and as long as it does what I want/need it'll be my tool.

Speaking of tools... 

Seriously, if you didn't care, why does it show in your message that you really do?

How sweet!

citrontokyo's gear list:citrontokyo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,968Gear list
Like?
Re: Please help me to stay with Pentax!
In reply to JimBim, 9 months ago

JimBim wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

Shoot RAW and learn how to WB properly, no camera can ever truly get WB perfect, many can come close in many situations but some fall short. I assure you even Nikon falls short. I never trust AWB to get it right, I expect it to come close most of the time but i know how to WB many scenarios either by choosing a neutral white/grey patch or by understanding what WB values are right for sunny, cloudy, shade, and such situations. So consider WB your next target to learn in photography, you'll be amazed at how much better photos will look with the WB set right.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Thank you Mike.

I look at this different. I do WB manually on my K20. Because this is an old stuff I'm forgiving. Today, when I have to pay my money I want to do my life easier. For me K3 looks like music instrument made from high end material, well built, but tuning must be done with everyone yourself. I can produce excellent pictures with my istDL in manual mode. And I do. But if I pay money, I expect something what would made my life easier: decent AWB, good jpg quality directly from camera, fast autofocus and so on. And there is not a big difference in price between K3 and 6D or D610.

Audrius

It would SEEM that should be the case, Audrius, BUT spending MORE money on a camera DOES NOT mean it will be EASIER to use or "make your life easier." A case in point (and this point has ALSO been made by the experts in photo magazines), although it's a VERY SAFE BET that all the serious, full-time professional photographers who pay MANY THOUSANDS of dollars for cameras such as the Canon EOS-1D X or the Nikon D4 (or the very popular Canon 5D Mark III) that they would LIKE to have a built-in flash like the rest of us do, that feature ISN'T included on those cameras, for whatever reason(s). So when one of those pros, who may have paid as much as $6,800 just for the camera BODY, needs even only a LITTLE flash for fill, he or she has no choice but to put something in the hot shoe or use some other form of external lighting or strobe.

Also, the more pro-level cameras tend to have many more options on them in the way of customization, such that the shooter can essentially control everything the camera does. The K-3 leans in that direction more than ANY APS-C camera in history, which is a big part of why it's gotten as many great reviews as it has. In addition to major improvements in both autofocus and metering, this became the first-ever camera to have NO AA filter, but a technological way to SIMULATE the AA filter. But it also has a variety of of features that can affect sharpness and other things, such as High-ISO Noise Reduction, which is too aggressive on AUTO and needs to be set to CUSTOM, and told to NOT kick in until about ISO 3200. Leaving the AA simulator off gives yet another level of sharpness. The K-3 comes with BOTH of these things turned ON.

And there are A NUMBER of other areas in which settings can be "tweaked" to improve the camera to an individual user's tastes. Sharpness can be set to several different levels, for instance. One may ask WHY would anyone want the sharpness setting on anything but FINE to begin with... Well, what if you WANT a "dreamy," sort of blurry looking photo. There's a bit of an option there. There are so many different options on this camera that it takes some time to sit down and go through the menus and learn them. And NEVER assume it came from the factory set up how you WANT it set up. That may be true for one shooter in 20, if that.

Go to the Ricoh website and download the manual for the K-3 and read through it. It's not that long -- just a bit more than 100 pages. It won't cover all the menu items in detail, but it will give you a taste of what's there.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
geo444
Regular MemberPosts: 437Gear list
Like?
D600+Samy35/1.4 = hand-held Night-Shots at iso100-200
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,981Gear list
Like?

Wow,  The K3 really nailed the red in the shirt on that mannequin!  Looks like the WB on the other two must have been off to get that orange-washed out-red.  I'd be workin' on that in post if it was me.  Looks like spot metering on the K3 but still plenty of details remain in the face - easy to adjust and wouldn't require much.  Great cameras - what's the issue?

Cheers.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,776Gear list
Like?
Re: D600+Samy35/1.4 = hand-held Night-Shots at iso100-200
In reply to geo444, 9 months ago

Sorry I;m missing something.

iso 100-200 and f3.5 I don't see anything that impressive.

There not bad but any modern camera even a P+S would deliver similar images, neither perceived resolution nor sharpness are exceptional.

Some of the images seem a little noisy given the low ISO used though maybe jpeg artifacts.

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
klavrack
Regular MemberPosts: 363
Like?

Given how you want to use the camera, I think a k-5ii would be by a fair margin better for you than any of the 3 you tried.

geo444
Like?
In reply to awaldram, 9 months ago

awaldram wrote:

Sorry I'm missing something.

iso 100-200 and f/2.5-3.5 I don't see anything that impressive.

each shot is 1-3 Ev Underexposed... else no hand-held = no freedom is possible !

There not bad but any modern camera even a P+S would deliver similar images, neither perceived resolution nor sharpness are exceptional.

so, we can conclude : IQ in low-light depends first... on The Lens Used ?

thank's to the Samyang 35mm f/1.4 : Sharp from corner to corner from f/2 to f/11

+ thank's to the Sony Exmor sensor inside the D600 : very low Noise at iso 100-200
so you can push the shadows... Even on the Low-Quality JPGs embedded in NEFs !
this would not at all be feasible with my Canon Eos 5d (iso 800-1600 mandatory)

Some of the images seem a little noisy given the low ISO used though maybe jpeg artifacts.

it's the Low-Quality JPGs embedded in NEFs... I will pp the NEF files as soon as possible...

brandagnostickk
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
stay with what you like, not a brand

Why dont you just add up the pros and cons and then choose. A "brand" is not worthy of "staying" there. Only the joy of using a certain equipment combo is, regardless of the brand tag on it.

And once you are clear on this, you will not need any decision help.

Mark Ransom
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,007
Like?
My attempt
In reply to kikivrany, 9 months ago

I think this image is quite comparable to the others with just a minimal amount of post processing.

K3 - WB corrected and contrast enhanced

awaldram
Like?
Re: stay with what you like, not a brand
In reply to brandagnostickk, 9 months ago

Hi Brandagostickk

Welcome to Dpreview and particularly the Pentax forums.

I'm curious on the agnostic front, We have many members with similar monickers such as anybrand or a mess of sonikax  it immediately screams to me 'body+kit,PS owner' and chip on shoulder.

I have yet to find any serious/professional photographer who is brand agnostic , This is just not possible if you have many £1000's invested in the system.

Professionals tend not to 'ram it down your face' as their brand is just the manufacturers of the tools they happen to use, But they have a vested interest in their chosen company.

So in short most member with names such as yours have one intent and that is to cause trouble in all forums, I hope this isn't true for you and if not apologize.

Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Ian Stuart Forsyth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,844Gear list
Like?

First I would have to know what you like shooting

From your site it looks as if landscape & travel play major role in your photography.

If the size of the D610 is not too large for you many find additional DR beneficial to your work, paired with some nice primes you may find they can keep the size down. the 20 F2.8, 28g F1.8 I like and if zooms are to your liking the new 18-35 is something worth looking at.

If you what fast wide angle that doesn’t break the bank you can get the tokina 16-28 F2.8 for under $800 at times but it’s not small, for the price I don’t think you can find a better lens in its performance range.

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release
http://www.flickr.com/photos/isfphotography/
http://isfphotography.smugmug.com/
http://isfphotography.com/

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +19 more
awaldram
Like?
In reply to Ian Stuart Forsyth, 9 months ago

Ian Stuart Forsyth wrote:

From your site it looks as if landscape & travel play major role in your photography.

If the size of the D610 is not too large for you many find additional DR beneficial to your work, paired with some nice primes you may find they can keep the size down. the 20 F2.8, 28g F1.8 I like and if zooms are to your liking the new 18-35 is something worth looking at.

If you what fast wide angle that doesn’t break the bank you can get the tokina 16-28 F2.8 for under $800 at times but it’s not small, for the price I don’t think you can find a better lens in its performance range.

-- hide signature --

The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

Don't think that address's any of the OP's requests being a unadulterated Nikon FF advert. LoL

"I’m really trying to find arguments to stay with Pentax!"

brandagnostickk
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Re: stay with what you like, not a brand

awaldram wrote:

I'm curious on the agnostic front, We have many members with similar monickers such as anybrand or a mess of sonikax it immediately screams to me 'body+kit,PS owner' and chip on shoulder.

I am sorry, if you get this impression, even though I don't see a reason for it. I prefer taking photos instead of painting them on screen with PS by the way.

Actually: If I did only own a kit lens: Would that make me a bad photographer?

I have yet to find any serious/professional photographer who is brand agnostic , This is just not possible if you have many £1000's invested in the system.

It's about what the term means to you:

Do I think all systems are the same? No. Do I care if the label on that wonderful camera is Leica or Wallmart? No.

Professionals tend not to 'ram it down your face' as their brand is just the manufacturers of the tools they happen to use, But they have a vested interest in their chosen company.

I have a vested interet in protecting my investment into a camera system jail cell. That is in spite of the manufacturers who actually build these jails. And I am not thankful for this. I do tend to buy used stuff so I can sell without major losses or even some gain. Makes the prison walls thinner.

So in short most member with names such as yours have one intent and that is to cause trouble in all forums, I hope this isn't true for you and if not apologize.

I do not think my posting here did deserve this.

Actually "brands" in most discussions with photographers (and car owners) tend to be really nonsense stereotypes. How can you make a statement about Sigma as "brand" which is true for both the 20/1.8 and the 35/1.4?

I do applaud Samsung for a 16-50mm APSC pancake, even if most will want to bash Samsung for anything they do. Their weather resistant APSC 16-50mm F2-2.8 also is not stupid and unparalleled. But I like the lens for it is what it is. Not for the brand.

Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,908Gear list
Like?
Re: Looks like K3 WB is off

awaldram wrote:

kenwklau wrote:

Thank you, Zvonimir! I like deep analysis in your posts!

Audrius

Hi Audrious,

With that yellowish cast on the K3 photo, I wonder if the SENt on it was set right.
--
Regards,
Ken

I'm surprised, as you gear lit includes k30 you make this remark.

As you should be aware Pentax believe the image should represent what your eyes see as such under artificial light they do not correct to the point the cast is daylight but leave some of the original ambiance.

This is another 'adjustable' setting and personally I think Pentax get it right, When shooting under candles I hate that 'shot in midday sun' look every other manufacturer seems to think is reasonable.

I agree.

Tungsten light looks yellowish. To fully compensate for that looks unnatural IMHO. Moreover, the blue channel is so weak that you might get noise and peculiar color if you try.

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +8 more
david tittermary
Contributing MemberPosts: 524
Like?

Sorry I;m missing something.

iso 100-200 and f3.5 I don't see anything that impressive.

Agreed, I can't understand why people insist on believing that ff is the end all be all, there is great thread over on the other forum were a pro has compared the d800 which he owns to the k3 that he is thinking about getting to compliment his kit.
--
david t
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tittermary/

david tittermary
Like?

awaldram wrote:

Sorry I'm missing something.

iso 100-200 and f/2.5-3.5 I don't see anything that impressive.

each shot is 1-3 Ev Underexposed... else no hand-held = no freedom is possible !

so, we can conclude : IQ in low-light depends first... on The Lens Used ?

thank's to the Samyang 35mm f/1.4 : Sharp from corner to corner from f/2 to f/11

+ thank's to the Sony Exmor sensor inside the D600 : very low Noise at iso 100-200
so you can push the shadows... Even on the Low-Quality JPGs embedded in NEFs !
this would not at all be feasible with my Canon Eos 5d (iso 800-1600 mandatory)

it's the Low-Quality JPGs embedded in NEFs... I will pp the NEF files as soon as possible...

Lol, I'm glad you think that the only way to get those shots,was with ff, marketing does work I guess.
--
david t

geo444
Like?
In reply to david tittermary, 9 months ago

david tittermary wrote:

... I'm glad you think that the only way to get those shots, was with ff...

don't try a 35/1.4 on a FF !

Many of your photographs like this one :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tittermary/10658292345/

I can easily shoot the same or better with my 150 €uro Zoom P&S !

audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,265Gear list
Like?
In reply to photodog25, 9 months ago

photodog25 wrote:

In his case, maintaining a sufficient depth-of-field was a necessary factor for him. So, roughly, f2.8 on the EM-1 = f4 on the D7100 = f5.6 on the 6D to maintain equivalent depth of field.

So use the smaller aperture and just boost the ISO on the larger-sensored cameras. You will have the same amount of noise, and the same results.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
Ian Stuart Forsyth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,844Gear list
Like?

awaldram wrote:

Ian Stuart Forsyth wrote:

-- hide signature --

Don't think that address's any of the OP's requests being a unadulterated Nikon FF advert. LoL

"I’m really trying to find arguments to stay with Pentax!"

Once I find out what he primarily shoots then maybe I can help .

For Nikon you can create any profile you want and then upload that to the camera’s body so that if he primarily uses jpg output he has way more control over the final jpg. I have created several outputs for my D800 that can be downloaded or created and many times just use these profiles and with jpg or tiff rendering that match what I would have processed using PS. This is immensely helpful for clients that need the work at the end of the day or even for the same day printing with little PSing required. This is unbelievably helpful for people that primarily shoot jpg or tiff and want to get the best out of the camera or change rendering of the jpg, if you want a feel of Fuji Provia 100, Fuji sensia 100 or something like kodachrome 64 these can be done at the time of the jpg creation in camera.

Not having to be locked into what a camera manufacture’s think the ideal profile for jpg or tiff and having the ability to customise one to his liking might be up his alley.

-- hide signature --

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +19 more
david tittermary
Like?

david tittermary wrote:

... I'm glad you think that the only way to get those shots, was with ff...

don't try a 35/1.4 on a FF !

Many of your photographs like this one :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tittermary/10658292345/

I can easily shoot the same or better with my 150 €uro Zoom P&S !

My point exactly, I don't 35 1.4, but I do have 85 1.4 and a 35 2.0 but whatever
--
david t

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads