Please help me to stay with Pentax!

Started Jan 5, 2014 | Discussions
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 4,060Gear list
Like?
Re: Please help me to stay with Pentax!
In reply to JimBim, Jan 7, 2014

Wow,  The K3 really nailed the red in the shirt on that mannequin!  Looks like the WB on the other two must have been off to get that orange-washed out-red.  I'd be workin' on that in post if it was me.  Looks like spot metering on the K3 but still plenty of details remain in the face - easy to adjust and wouldn't require much.  Great cameras - what's the issue?

Cheers.

 Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony Alpha 7 II Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 11,368Gear list
Like?
Re: D600+Samy35/1.4 = hand-held Night-Shots at iso100-200
In reply to geo444, Jan 7, 2014

Sorry I;m missing something.

iso 100-200 and f3.5 I don't see anything that impressive.

There not bad but any modern camera even a P+S would deliver similar images, neither perceived resolution nor sharpness are exceptional.

Some of the images seem a little noisy given the low ISO used though maybe jpeg artifacts.

 awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax Q Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
klavrack
Regular MemberPosts: 379
Like?
Re: Please help me to stay with Pentax!
In reply to JimBim, Jan 7, 2014

Given how you want to use the camera, I think a k-5ii would be by a fair margin better for you than any of the 3 you tried.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
geo444
Regular MemberPosts: 471Gear list
Like?
Re: D600+Samy35/1.4 = hand-held Night-Shots at iso100-200
In reply to awaldram, Jan 7, 2014

awaldram wrote:

Sorry I'm missing something.

iso 100-200 and f/2.5-3.5 I don't see anything that impressive.

each shot is 1-3 Ev Underexposed... else no hand-held = no freedom is possible !

There not bad but any modern camera even a P+S would deliver similar images, neither perceived resolution nor sharpness are exceptional.

so, we can conclude : IQ in low-light depends first... on The Lens Used ?

thank's to the Samyang 35mm f/1.4 : Sharp from corner to corner from f/2 to f/11

+ thank's to the Sony Exmor sensor inside the D600 : very low Noise at iso 100-200
so you can push the shadows... Even on the Low-Quality JPGs embedded in NEFs !
this would not at all be feasible with my Canon Eos 5d (iso 800-1600 mandatory)

Some of the images seem a little noisy given the low ISO used though maybe jpeg artifacts.

it's the Low-Quality JPGs embedded in NEFs... I will pp the NEF files as soon as possible...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brandagnostickk
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
stay with what you like, not a brand
In reply to JimBim, Jan 7, 2014

Why dont you just add up the pros and cons and then choose. A "brand" is not worthy of "staying" there. Only the joy of using a certain equipment combo is, regardless of the brand tag on it.

And once you are clear on this, you will not need any decision help.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark Ransom
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,258Gear list
Like?
My attempt
In reply to kikivrany, Jan 8, 2014

I think this image is quite comparable to the others with just a minimal amount of post processing.

K3 - WB corrected and contrast enhanced

 Mark Ransom's gear list:Mark Ransom's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-01 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 11,368Gear list
Like?
Re: stay with what you like, not a brand
In reply to brandagnostickk, Jan 8, 2014

Hi Brandagostickk

Welcome to Dpreview and particularly the Pentax forums.

I'm curious on the agnostic front, We have many members with similar monickers such as anybrand or a mess of sonikax  it immediately screams to me 'body+kit,PS owner' and chip on shoulder.

I have yet to find any serious/professional photographer who is brand agnostic , This is just not possible if you have many £1000's invested in the system.

Professionals tend not to 'ram it down your face' as their brand is just the manufacturers of the tools they happen to use, But they have a vested interest in their chosen company.

So in short most member with names such as yours have one intent and that is to cause trouble in all forums, I hope this isn't true for you and if not apologize.

 awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax Q Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ian Stuart Forsyth
Senior MemberPosts: 2,063Gear list
Like?
Re: Please help me to stay with Pentax!
In reply to JimBim, Jan 8, 2014

First I would have to know what you like shooting

From your site it looks as if landscape & travel play major role in your photography.

If the size of the D610 is not too large for you many find additional DR beneficial to your work, paired with some nice primes you may find they can keep the size down. the 20 F2.8, 28g F1.8 I like and if zooms are to your liking the new 18-35 is something worth looking at.

If you what fast wide angle that doesn’t break the bank you can get the tokina 16-28 F2.8 for under $800 at times but it’s not small, for the price I don’t think you can find a better lens in its performance range.

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release
http://www.flickr.com/photos/isfphotography/
http://isfphotography.smugmug.com/
http://isfphotography.com/

 Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 11,368Gear list
Like?
Re: Please help me to stay with Pentax!
In reply to Ian Stuart Forsyth, Jan 8, 2014

Ian Stuart Forsyth wrote:

First I would have to know what you like shooting

From your site it looks as if landscape & travel play major role in your photography.

If the size of the D610 is not too large for you many find additional DR beneficial to your work, paired with some nice primes you may find they can keep the size down. the 20 F2.8, 28g F1.8 I like and if zooms are to your liking the new 18-35 is something worth looking at.

If you what fast wide angle that doesn’t break the bank you can get the tokina 16-28 F2.8 for under $800 at times but it’s not small, for the price I don’t think you can find a better lens in its performance range.

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release
http://www.flickr.com/photos/isfphotography/
http://isfphotography.smugmug.com/
http://isfphotography.com/

Don't think that address's any of the OP's requests being a unadulterated Nikon FF advert. LoL

"I’m really trying to find arguments to stay with Pentax!"

 awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax Q Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brandagnostickk
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Re: stay with what you like, not a brand
In reply to awaldram, Jan 8, 2014

awaldram wrote:

I'm curious on the agnostic front, We have many members with similar monickers such as anybrand or a mess of sonikax it immediately screams to me 'body+kit,PS owner' and chip on shoulder.

I am sorry, if you get this impression, even though I don't see a reason for it. I prefer taking photos instead of painting them on screen with PS by the way.

Actually: If I did only own a kit lens: Would that make me a bad photographer?

I have yet to find any serious/professional photographer who is brand agnostic , This is just not possible if you have many £1000's invested in the system.

It's about what the term means to you:

Do I think all systems are the same? No. Do I care if the label on that wonderful camera is Leica or Wallmart? No.

Professionals tend not to 'ram it down your face' as their brand is just the manufacturers of the tools they happen to use, But they have a vested interest in their chosen company.

I have a vested interet in protecting my investment into a camera system jail cell. That is in spite of the manufacturers who actually build these jails. And I am not thankful for this. I do tend to buy used stuff so I can sell without major losses or even some gain. Makes the prison walls thinner.

So in short most member with names such as yours have one intent and that is to cause trouble in all forums, I hope this isn't true for you and if not apologize.

I do not think my posting here did deserve this.

Actually "brands" in most discussions with photographers (and car owners) tend to be really nonsense stereotypes. How can you make a statement about Sigma as "brand" which is true for both the 20/1.8 and the 35/1.4?

I do applaud Samsung for a 16-50mm APSC pancake, even if most will want to bash Samsung for anything they do. Their weather resistant APSC 16-50mm F2-2.8 also is not stupid and unparalleled. But I like the lens for it is what it is. Not for the brand.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 21,923Gear list
Like?
Re: Looks like K3 WB is off
In reply to awaldram, Jan 8, 2014

awaldram wrote:

kenwklau wrote:

Thank you, Zvonimir! I like deep analysis in your posts!

Audrius

Hi Audrious,

With that yellowish cast on the K3 photo, I wonder if the SENt on it was set right.
--
Regards,
Ken

I'm surprised, as you gear lit includes k30 you make this remark.

As you should be aware Pentax believe the image should represent what your eyes see as such under artificial light they do not correct to the point the cast is daylight but leave some of the original ambiance.

This is another 'adjustable' setting and personally I think Pentax get it right, When shooting under candles I hate that 'shot in midday sun' look every other manufacturer seems to think is reasonable.

I agree.

Tungsten light looks yellowish. To fully compensate for that looks unnatural IMHO. Moreover, the blue channel is so weak that you might get noise and peculiar color if you try.

 Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
david tittermary
Contributing MemberPosts: 543
Like?
Re: D600+Samy35/1.4 = hand-held Night-Shots at iso100-200
In reply to awaldram, Jan 8, 2014

Sorry I;m missing something.

iso 100-200 and f3.5 I don't see anything that impressive.

There not bad but any modern camera even a P+S would deliver similar images, neither perceived resolution nor sharpness are exceptional.

Some of the images seem a little noisy given the low ISO used though maybe jpeg artifacts.

Agreed, I can't understand why people insist on believing that ff is the end all be all, there is great thread over on the other forum were a pro has compared the d800 which he owns to the k3 that he is thinking about getting to compliment his kit.
--
david t
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tittermary/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
david tittermary
Contributing MemberPosts: 543
Like?
Re: D600+Samy35/1.4 = hand-held Night-Shots at iso100-200
In reply to geo444, Jan 8, 2014

awaldram wrote:

Sorry I'm missing something.

iso 100-200 and f/2.5-3.5 I don't see anything that impressive.

each shot is 1-3 Ev Underexposed... else no hand-held = no freedom is possible !

There not bad but any modern camera even a P+S would deliver similar images, neither perceived resolution nor sharpness are exceptional.

so, we can conclude : IQ in low-light depends first... on The Lens Used ?

thank's to the Samyang 35mm f/1.4 : Sharp from corner to corner from f/2 to f/11

+ thank's to the Sony Exmor sensor inside the D600 : very low Noise at iso 100-200
so you can push the shadows... Even on the Low-Quality JPGs embedded in NEFs !
this would not at all be feasible with my Canon Eos 5d (iso 800-1600 mandatory)

Some of the images seem a little noisy given the low ISO used though maybe jpeg artifacts.

it's the Low-Quality JPGs embedded in NEFs... I will pp the NEF files as soon as possible...

Lol, I'm glad you think that the only way to get those shots,was with ff, marketing does work I guess.
--
david t
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tittermary/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
geo444
Regular MemberPosts: 471Gear list
Like?
Re: D600+Samy35/1.4 = hand-held Night-Shots at iso100-200
In reply to david tittermary, Jan 8, 2014

david tittermary wrote:

... I'm glad you think that the only way to get those shots, was with ff...

don't try a 35/1.4 on a FF !

Many of your photographs like this one :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tittermary/10658292345/

I can easily shoot the same or better with my 150 €uro Zoom P&S !

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,958Gear list
Like?
Re: Please help me to stay with Pentax!
In reply to photodog25, Jan 8, 2014

photodog25 wrote:

In his case, maintaining a sufficient depth-of-field was a necessary factor for him. So, roughly, f2.8 on the EM-1 = f4 on the D7100 = f5.6 on the 6D to maintain equivalent depth of field.

So use the smaller aperture and just boost the ISO on the larger-sensored cameras. You will have the same amount of noise, and the same results.

-- hide signature --

Dan

 audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ian Stuart Forsyth
Senior MemberPosts: 2,063Gear list
Like?
Re: Please help me to stay with Pentax!
In reply to awaldram, Jan 9, 2014

awaldram wrote:

Ian Stuart Forsyth wrote:

First I would have to know what you like shooting

From your site it looks as if landscape & travel play major role in your photography.

If the size of the D610 is not too large for you many find additional DR beneficial to your work, paired with some nice primes you may find they can keep the size down. the 20 F2.8, 28g F1.8 I like and if zooms are to your liking the new 18-35 is something worth looking at.

If you what fast wide angle that doesn’t break the bank you can get the tokina 16-28 F2.8 for under $800 at times but it’s not small, for the price I don’t think you can find a better lens in its performance range.

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release
http://www.flickr.com/photos/isfphotography/
http://isfphotography.smugmug.com/
http://isfphotography.com/

Don't think that address's any of the OP's requests being a unadulterated Nikon FF advert. LoL

"I’m really trying to find arguments to stay with Pentax!"

Once I find out what he primarily shoots then maybe I can help .

For Nikon you can create any profile you want and then upload that to the camera’s body so that if he primarily uses jpg output he has way more control over the final jpg. I have created several outputs for my D800 that can be downloaded or created and many times just use these profiles and with jpg or tiff rendering that match what I would have processed using PS. This is immensely helpful for clients that need the work at the end of the day or even for the same day printing with little PSing required. This is unbelievably helpful for people that primarily shoot jpg or tiff and want to get the best out of the camera or change rendering of the jpg, if you want a feel of Fuji Provia 100, Fuji sensia 100 or something like kodachrome 64 these can be done at the time of the jpg creation in camera.

Not having to be locked into what a camera manufacture’s think the ideal profile for jpg or tiff and having the ability to customise one to his liking might be up his alley.

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

 Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
david tittermary
Contributing MemberPosts: 543
Like?
Re: D600+Samy35/1.4 = hand-held Night-Shots at iso100-200
In reply to geo444, Jan 9, 2014

david tittermary wrote:

... I'm glad you think that the only way to get those shots, was with ff...

don't try a 35/1.4 on a FF !

Many of your photographs like this one :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tittermary/10658292345/

I can easily shoot the same or better with my 150 €uro Zoom P&S !

My point exactly, I don't 35 1.4, but I do have 85 1.4 and a 35 2.0 but whatever
--
david t
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tittermary/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
david tittermary
Contributing MemberPosts: 543
Like?
Re: D600+Samy35/1.4 = hand-held Night-Shots at iso100-200
In reply to david tittermary, Jan 9, 2014

david tittermary wrote:

... I'm glad you think that the only way to get those shots, was with ff...

don't try a 35/1.4 on a FF !

Many of your photographs like this one :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tittermary/10658292345/

I can easily shoot the same or better with my 150 €uro Zoom P&S !

My point exactly, I don't 35 1.4, but I do have 85 1.4 and a 35 2.0 but whatever
--
david t
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tittermary/

That was shot on ff Nikon btw.
--
david t
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tittermary/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
photodog25
Regular MemberPosts: 405
Like?
Re: Please help me to stay with Pentax!
In reply to audiobomber, Jan 11, 2014

audiobomber wrote:

photodog25 wrote:

In his case, maintaining a sufficient depth-of-field was a necessary factor for him. So, roughly, f2.8 on the EM-1 = f4 on the D7100 = f5.6 on the 6D to maintain equivalent depth of field.

So use the smaller aperture and just boost the ISO on the larger-sensored cameras. You will have the same amount of noise, and the same results.

-- hide signature --

Dan

Dan,

That is exactly my point. For a guy who doesn't care about thin depth-of-field, but just wants to maintain the same depth of field in his shooting, the large sensored cameras do not hold a great advantage and they are expensive and bulky/heavy.

Now the EM-1 wasn't inexpensive, but together with the 12-40/2.8, offered my friend the best combination of fast autofocusing, low-light ability, and image quality.

The OP asked to help him stay with Pentax. So, my response was not to blindly chose the largest sensor, but to evaluate your needs and make a decision based on how you shoot. If you want razor thin depth-of-field or own a giant assortment of existing film lenses, and want the very best possible image quality and you are willing to pay the big bucks, then choosing a full frame camera may be a good decision.

In my friend's case, he wanted decent low noise and dynamic range, fast AFS autofocusing in low light (EV 7 or 8), one fast normal focal length zoom lens that was sharp wide open, and his biggest possible print size he could ever see making was 11x14 inches. I think he made a great choice.

Choosing the biggest sensor is not always the best strategy and that was the point of my post.

Nick

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kenwklau
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?
Re: Looks like K3 WB is off
In reply to awaldram, Jan 12, 2014

awaldram wrote:

kenwklau wrote:

Thank you, Zvonimir! I like deep analysis in your posts!

Audrius

Hi Audrious,

With that yellowish cast on the K3 photo, I wonder if the SENt on it was set right.
--
Regards,
Ken

I'm surprised, as you gear lit includes k30 you make this remark.

As you should be aware Pentax believe the image should represent what your eyes see as such under artificial light they do not correct to the point the cast is daylight but leave some of the original ambiance.

This is another 'adjustable' setting and personally I think Pentax get it right, When shooting under candles I hate that 'shot in midday sun' look every other manufacturer seems to think is reasonable.

I first saw that with my new smartphone on which the OP's K3 photo looked very yellowish.  I do know what and how my K-30 render indoor lighting but I thought that was still too yellowish from "what an indoor lighting condition looks like in my mind".

Now on my 22 in LCD screen the K3's photo do look more natural than the Canon and Nikon.

BTW, the K-30 Auto mode setting will give a warmer than "what it should be appearance".

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken

 kenwklau's gear list:kenwklau's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads