The Philosophy of Nikon Df

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
eastvillager
Senior MemberPosts: 1,048Gear list
Like?
Re: The Philosophy of Nikon Df
In reply to sgoldswo, 11 months ago

No it makes me a professional photographer. Sir your pictures are of an amatuer photographer. They're family snapshots and simple landscapes. I don't need to recap my career here but Sir I've been a professional photographer, published in about every magazine published across the world and a university instructor in photography my entire life. My last workhorse a D3 had 250,000 actuations on just that camera alone and my D700 has about the same. My new D4, 100,000 in a year. I don't collect cameras I use them.

sgoldswo wrote:

With respect, I have 5 cameras listed, as being currently owned the same number as you. I note some of your are the newest and most expensive models too. Does that make you a "camera collector"?

eastvillager's gear list:eastvillager's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,864Gear list
Like?
In reply to eastvillager, 11 months ago

eastvillager wrote:

No it makes me a professional photographer. Sir your pictures are of an amatuer photographer. They're family snapshots and simple landscapes. I don't need to recap my career here but Sir I've been a professional photographer, published in about every magazine published across the world and a university instructor in photography my entire life. My last workhorse a D3 had 250,000 actuations on just that camera alone and my D700 has about the same. My new D4, 100,000 in a year. I don't collect cameras I use them.

sgoldswo wrote:

With respect, I have 5 cameras listed, as being currently owned the same number as you. I note some of your are the newest and most expensive models too. Does that make you a "camera collector"?

As do I, as you'll have seen, so what's your point?

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750
ravduc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297Gear list
Like?

Eastvillager, you might have 40 years experience in photography, but you need a simple basic introductory course in life skills on how to treat people with respect, accept that other's will have different needs and tastes,  without being condescending to the extreme. Your ego needs to be deflated somewhat. Wisdom hasn't reached your doorstep yet. I can help if you want. My expenses will cover the cost of the DF.

ravduc's gear list:ravduc's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Leica Digilux 2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Digilux 3 Olympus E-1 +14 more
eastvillager
Senior MemberPosts: 1,048Gear list
Like?
In reply to sgoldswo, 11 months ago

Sir enjoy your cameras. Keep taking photos. Have fun. I'm out of here.

sgoldswo wrote:

eastvillager wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

As do I, as you'll have seen, so what's your point?

eastvillager's gear list:eastvillager's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +6 more
ravduc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297Gear list
Like?

You are out there Sir, and we don't need your 'wisdom'. Thanks

ravduc's gear list:ravduc's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Leica Digilux 2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Digilux 3 Olympus E-1 +14 more
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 4,073Gear list
Like?

eastvillager wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

Eastvillager, I'm also a working pro. I have no idea of what your skill set is or who you really are; not that it matters.

My work is very basic. I do product shots, line sheets, still life, occasional set shooting for film, mural sized prints for exhibitions/shows and so on. No, my work is not in magazines. I have not ever tried to shoot for the New Yorker.

But I do pretty darn well with "easy" stuff. My other usage is for family and yachting, the latter being something I've been contracted for this season coming up.

So here's why I like the Df:

1) Smaller and lighter than my D800

2) Smaller files

3) Great IQ at high ISO with minimum of PP fuss.

4) Dual mode interface (dials or command wheels) is more flexible than my D800.

5) FUN to use (absolutely subjective)

The only other FX option would have been the D610, a camera that I don't find as comfortable to hold as my D800 or Df and really adds nothing to my kit.

Now let's move on to the two people I know who bought the Df to work along side their D4. They did this to have D4 IQ and workflow that is identical, yet available in a much smaller package. Both absolutely love the Df. As Moose Peterson said, "They get it."

So can you provide a concise reason why the Df was not a good pick?

Cheers,

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
nunatak
Senior MemberPosts: 2,316
Like?
D is for Digital, F is for film.
In reply to Richard Murdey, 11 months ago

D is for Digital, F is for film. I had hoped Nikon would live up to their promise of the F6 not being Nikon's last film camera — by supplying a film back for this camera. Unlikely, but perhaps the next iteration will honor that commitment ... ?

-- hide signature --

design guy

Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 12,036
Like?
Re: D is for Digital, F is for film.
In reply to nunatak, 11 months ago

nunatak wrote:

D is for Digital, F is for film. I had hoped Nikon would live up to their promise of the F6 not being Nikon's last film camera — by supplying a film back for this camera. Unlikely, but perhaps the next iteration will honor that commitment ... ?

-- hide signature --

design guy

A film back for a DSLR? What an engineering nightmare. While were at it, how about glass plates?

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

lickity split
Senior MemberPosts: 1,115Gear list
Like?
Re: It really is quite simple...
In reply to Mr Gadget, 11 months ago

Mr Gadget wrote:

The Df is what it is...

There's always next time.

If it works for you, buy it.

Maybe if they slashed the price in half.

If it doesn't work for you, don't buy it.

That's logical.

Pretty simple, at least to me.

Your "normal" some people are more complicated.

This whole topic has been ground to death.
It does feel that way.
BTW: I was among the group that was disappointed with how the Df was executed and priced, once it was clear what it did and didn't do, I went on with my life.

That's what adults do..

It's just a camera.

Not according to some people.

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

lickity split's gear list:lickity split's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
nunatak
Senior MemberPosts: 2,316
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, 11 months ago

Robin Casady wrote:

A film back for a DSLR? What an engineering nightmare. While were at it, how about glass plates?

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady

no need to be close-minded or sarcastic Robin. nikon has a published patent for a digital back on film cameras.

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/12/17/nikon-patents-a-digital-back-for-35mm-film-slr-cameras.aspx/

-- hide signature --

design guy

Cliff Fujii
Senior MemberPosts: 2,928Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jay Paul H, 11 months ago

I originally purchased my Df as a backup to my D800.  I like shooting with the Df so much, I've relegated the Df to general photography and the D800 to only photography that requires fine detail (like macro).  I also sold my D600 to a trade-in site for about $1200.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +47 more
Cliff Fujii
Like?

Since I use only the + focus points, 51 focus points is not an issue with me (I don't do action photography).  I don't do video of any type on my DSLR cameras.  I would like to have the 1/8000 sec shutter but to tell you the truth, I've never used it.  It would be nice to have two storage slots but I don't miss it because on my D800 the second slot is configured to take the overflow from the first card (which I never had to use yet).  The faster frame rate of the D4 is not an issue as I don't shoot action photographs.  Part of the weight of the D4 is the larger motor drive and battery.  One of the things I like about the Df is that it's lighter than my D800.  That's one of the reasons why I didn't purchase a D4.  My first camera was a Nikon F Photomic F that I used in photography classes while I was in college in the 60s.  I weighed my F3HP and it turned out to be heavier than my Df.  If Nikon comes out with a Df that has the D800 sensor, I'll buy it and sell my D800.

The Df really does a better job at high ISO photography than the D800.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +47 more
Cliff Fujii
Like?
In reply to Rick_Hunter, 11 months ago

It's my understanding that the Df body is made of magnesium with a plastic subframe.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii
Like?
Re: this is why I now use D610 as backup to my D4 & passed on the DF
In reply to jenella, 11 months ago

I press the Fn button and spin the command dial to turn AutoISO on and off. When AutoISO is on, whatever is set on the dial is the base sensitivity.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii
Like?
In reply to nunatak, 11 months ago

Digital backs for film cameras?  They tried and failed in the 90s.  They are trying again.  The original version almost made it to market.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Dennis Watts
Forum MemberPosts: 92Gear list
Like?
In reply to Scott McMorrow, 11 months ago

development cost?

The D4 is at the end of it's product life the development cost should have already been paid for. I am pretty sure the D4 was a success, and that in the next year (month) there is going to be a successor (D4s?).

Of course this is speculation, but here is fact.

2 year old sensor, still one of the best, buy 2 years old.

3 year old auto focus (D7000) what good is ISO 25k if you can't focus?

Dennis Watts's gear list:Dennis Watts's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +4 more
Tepacca
Contributing MemberPosts: 545Gear list
Like?
In reply to Richard Murdey, 11 months ago

It is nice to see Nikon users argue with each other and not Canonians.

For me if there is a line to buy a product - it is successful.
Obviously Df will not be usable for pros but on the other hand it was never meant to. And I think it is improper to compare it with D4 even though these share the same sensor. The market niches of both cameras are completely different.

I think it's none since to pay the money people pay for Leica and Leica lenses but since there is a market consumers get what they desire. I'll be happy if Nikon has hit the spot with Df. I would love to buy this camera but with it's current price tag it seems unlikely.

Tepacca's gear list:Tepacca's gear list
Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +4 more
Jay Paul H
Regular MemberPosts: 189Gear list
Like?

eastvillager wrote:

Seems you forgot an awful lot more. How about 51 focus points on the D4 vs. 39 on the DF, D4 has HD video, D4 has much longer battery life, D4 has 2 storage slots, D4 has faster higher shutter speed 1/8000 sec on D4. Add in your mentioned D4 has twice the FPS and is built like a tank,

I agree with all of the comments above. I do have a problem with the following however:

the DF with its tinker toy buttons is a rip off at half the price.

Jay Paul H's gear list:Jay Paul H's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800 +28 more
Matt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,324Gear list
Like?
You are so wrong!
In reply to Simon Garrett, 11 months ago

you clearly fail to see that just by leaving out  modern electronics and controls you will be able to take much better photos!

Your landscape photos suck because you had to set the shutter speed with a little plastic wheel?

Fear no more! On the Df you can set the aperture with a large metal wheel on top of the camera and your pics will be stunning!

Your long exposures leave something to be desired and are not creative?

Worry not! By using a mechanical remote shutter wire that your grandpa used, you can now also attain the photographic perfection that a wireless remote had denied you for so many years!

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 400D
Sigma 24-70 HF
Canon 50 f1.8

Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,100Gear list
Like?
Re: You are so wrong!
In reply to Matt, 11 months ago

Matt wrote:

you clearly fail to see that just by leaving out modern electronics and controls you will be able to take much better photos!

Your landscape photos suck because you had to set the shutter speed with a little plastic wheel?

Fear no more! On the Df you can set the aperture with a large metal wheel on top of the camera and your pics will be stunning!

Your long exposures leave something to be desired and are not creative?

Ah, thanks, now it makes sense!

Worry not! By using a mechanical remote shutter wire that your grandpa used, you can now also attain the photographic perfection that a wireless remote had denied you for so many years!

Watch it - I've still got one of those.  It was my father's, though.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads