Do you own both an e-pl5 and an em1?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Lindsay D
Regular MemberPosts: 346
Like?
Re: Still looking for crosshairs...
In reply to Barry Stewart, 8 months ago

Hi Barry, yes, that's what I meant by crosshairs. Well, they are 'hairs' at least! Quite difficult to see at times if you've set the single small focus area.

I feel the same way about my EPL5 - it never ceases to make me smile, it is such a high performer in so many ways. Since buying it I tend to just use the EM1 for professional jobs, or as you say, when it's raining.

-- hide signature --

www.lindsaydobsonphotography.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Isabel Cutler
Forum ProPosts: 14,645
Like?
Re: Still looking for crosshairs...

Barry Stewart wrote:

Thanks for bringing this topic up, Isabel. Fellow E-PL5 owner here. I have my E-M1 in my closet, waiting till I sell off my redundant gear. (It's painful, but I promised.)

Lindsay talks of a 'crosshair'… but may have meant a box made of four corners like these: ‹ › (Sorry… can't make all four corners on the keyboard. They are like the corners you use to tack down photos in an old-style photo album.)

If this is what Lindsay means: yes, I can see these ghosted marks when I have chosen a single green square (not rectangle) for my focus area. This is to remind shooters of where they have locked their focus point. It's pretty subtle, but it's there. When you half-press, the green square pops up where the 4-corners were.

If I choose wide-area focus — where all parts of the green focus grid are sensitive — then there is no ghosted target on the screen. This is my most usual S-AF setting. I half-press the shutter and if the green square (or face detect white square) don't lock where I want them to, I back off and try the half-press again. I only choose a single square if the wide-area (and face detect) aren't working for me.

There is a slight-but-perceptible lag in using the touch-screen shutter compared to the actual button (even in MF), so I usually go with the shutter for people shots or where timing is critical. The touch-screen is a great option, though, if you need to stretch overhead or put the camera in odd places, where the shutter isn't easy to poke.

'Not sure if I've answered your original question — but there's lots in this thread to learn.

The E-PL5 continues to bring me great pleasure. After a year, the "wow" factor hasn't worn thin. I do need the E-M1 for bad weather for my 4/3 lenses, though.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Yes...I believe it might be those four thin marks - I've seen those.

You never know what additional information you're going to pick up when you ask a question - and questions really can liven up a forum!

Isasbel

Isabel Cutler
Like?
Re: I use Single Auto Focus + Manual...
In reply to Lindsay D, 8 months ago

Lindsay D wrote:

Isabel Cutler wrote:

Lindsay D wrote:

Isabel Cutler wrote:

Did test it in just SAF mode and all I get when I focus on something is a small green box (I have chosen to use the smallest focus box.

Isabel

Yes, that's correct. If you've set it to the smallest focus point you probably won't see the fine grey crosshair square I described (but it does exist). As I mentioned, if you want the green focus box to be on all the time (for example to make sure you're hovering over the exact bit of the thing you want to focus on) then you would switch to the other view (bearing in mind that if you then alter any settings it will default back to the normal view). Hope that makes sense.

-- hide signature --

Not sure I understand what you mean by "switch to the other view", but thanks for the feedback.

Isabel

As per my first response, if you press the button with the magnifier icon on it, you can make adjustments to the view (as in change the magnification, size of the green square etc). I find it useful to work between the standard view, and this, at times.

-- hide signature --

Ah, thank you, now I understand - you can change the size of the focus box by using the slider at the right of the screen when you use the magnifying glass button - the slider isn't viewable until you tap at the right side of the screen - or that is the case with the way my camera is set up.

This camera has so many variables, it seems I'll never get to using or being aware of all of them!

Isabel

Lindsay D
Like?
In reply to Isabel Cutler, 8 months ago

I'm still discovering new things on my Oly cameras Isabel, and quicker ways of doing things - once you finally identify the features which are most useful to you, it does get easier. Having said that, all it takes is for me to use a different system for a week and I tend to forget everything!

-- hide signature --

Vinc T
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?
Re: Too much information in the box for making a focusing decision????

Isabel Cutler wrote:

Vinc T wrote:

Depending on what I shoot, using the small focusing box could slow focusing down quite a bit as there wasn't too much information inside the box for making a focusing decision. Guess I will set it back to the default size very soon for my kind of shooting.

Seems to me a larger box would have even more information.

Isabel

I guess a small AF box has a better chance of covering only a homogeneous area than a larger AF box, which would more likely cover somethings with very good contrast for making a fast focusing decision. Of course, I could be wrong!

(By the way, I wonder why Olympus does not allow their pdf files to be edited, like highlighting. Now I have to search the pdf file again to see how I can change the size of the AF box again!)

Lindsay D
Like?
Re: Too much information in the box for making a focusing decision????
In reply to Vinc T, 8 months ago

That is true Vince, you still have to give the camera (any camera) something suitably contrasty in the focus box to latch onto. The smallest focus box is useful for targets which are sitting amongst other targets, such as picking out a particular flower in a mass of other flowers, or a bird or animal in a gap amongst trees etc. The thing to remember if using a large focus box is to get your target area in the centre, or else you may end up with back focusing.

-- hide signature --

Isabel Cutler
Like?
In reply to Lindsay D, 8 months ago

Lindsay D wrote:

I'm still discovering new things on my Oly cameras Isabel, and quicker ways of doing things - once you finally identify the features which are most useful to you, it does get easier. Having said that, all it takes is for me to use a different system for a week and I tend to forget everything!

-- hide signature --

Isabel Cutler
Like?
Re: I know whereof you speak!

Isabel Cutler wrote:

Lindsay D wrote:

-- hide signature --

Of course you know the old adage, Use it or lose it!  The older I get the more of the NEW stuff I forget, but put a camera in my hands that I used 50 years ago and i'll bet it would all come back to me.  They were much simpler then.

isabel

Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,099Gear list
Like?
Super Control Panel

BTW, Isabel and others: I hope you have the SCP activated on the E-PL5. It makes things SO much more accessible.

I was surprised to hear that Jorginho had survived for a year without it, whilst compiling his detailed assessment of the camera.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +10 more
Isabel Cutler
Like?
To change the size of the focus box

Press the magnifying glass bitton and put your finger on the right side of the lcd and slide it up or down.  A scale will appear with which you can change the size of the box.

isabel

Isabel Cutler
Like?
Re: Super Control Panel...I agree!

I remember when i learned how to activate it on my e pl1..  What a difference!

isabel

Barry Stewart
Like?
Re: Super Control Panel...I agree!

Isabel Cutler wrote:

I remember when i learned how to activate it on my e pl1.. What a difference!

So quickly, Isabel: can you tell us how to activate the SCP, in ten words or less? LOL!

I'll admit, it's a brutal thing to work through on your own. All Oly DSLRs from the E-330 on came with it already running. They're back on track with the E-M1, shipping it already activated.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +10 more
Isabel Cutler
Like?
Re: Activating Super Control Panel

Barry Stewart wrote:

Isabel Cutler wrote:

So quickly, Isabel: can you tell us how to activate the SCP, in ten words or less? LOL!

I'll admit, it's a brutal thing to work through on your own. All Oly DSLRs from the E-330 on came with it already running. They're back on track with the E-M1, shipping it already activated.

-- hide signature --

Barry

I remember it was aggravating trying to figure out how to do it...couldn't find it in the manual, but I found this on Olympus' site: http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_faqs.asp?ID=1628&form_topic=993&faqs=9311,+9130,+9191,+9131,+9132,+9133,+9134,+9135,+9136,+9137,+9138,+9139,+9140,+9141,+9142,+9143,+9144,+9145,+9146,+9147,+9148,+9149,+9150,+9151,+9152,+9153,+9154,+9155,+9156,+9157,+9158,+9160,+9161,+9162,+9163,+9164,+9165#3

Barry Stewart
Like?
Re: Activating Super Control Panel

Isabel Cutler wrote:

Barry Stewart wrote:

Isabel Cutler wrote:

-- hide signature --

Barry

I remember it was aggravating trying to figure out how to do it...couldn't find it in the manual, but I found this on Olympus' site: http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_faqs.asp?ID=1628&form_topic=993&faqs=9311,+9130,+9191,+9131,+9132,+9133,+9134,+9135,+9136,+9137,+9138,+9139,+9140,+9141,+9142,+9143,+9144,+9145,+9146,+9147,+9148,+9149,+9150,+9151,+9152,+9153,+9154,+9155,+9156,+9157,+9158,+9160,+9161,+9162,+9163,+9164,+9165#3

Yikes! They certainly have a way of turning plain English into ancient Greek!

Guy is much more clear… though he takes 13 pictures and maybe 300 words. Following his examples, I was able to turn my SCP off and back on. And that's where it's staying!

Guy's help: http://homepages.ihug.com.au/%7Eparsog/olyepl1/53-epl5-scp.html

Barry

Isabel Cutler
Like?
Re: Guy is a treasure!

He has helped me many times.  He should work for Olympus!

Isabel

Vinc T
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?
Re: To change the size of the focus box

Isabel Cutler wrote:

Press the magnifying glass bitton and put your finger on the right side of the lcd and slide it up or down. A scale will appear with which you can change the size of the box.

isabel

Thank you Isabel! That looks easy enough!

Your instructions is way better than that of Olympus!!!

Isabel Cutler
Like?
You're welcome-hope it works as I described! (Nt)
Isabel Cutler
Like?
Besides bookmarking valuable advice from these posts...

You may want to have a pdf version of their web pages.

I used Cute PDF Writer to save Guy's excellent setup instructions. It's free, and you can download it here: http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/writer.asp

The application will show up as a new printer and all you do is select it in the list of printers when you want to save it as a pdf.

Isabel

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads