Nice reply to a professional magazine wanting free photos

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Battersea
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Nice reply to a professional magazine wanting free photos
9 months ago

A great answer to major magazine asking for free "professional high resolution" photographs but they say the poor little rich company cannot pay anything for them.

http://www.trishreda.com/blog/so-this-just-happened/3541/

dfanning
Forum MemberPosts: 51Gear list
Like?
Re: Nice reply to a professional magazine wanting free photos
In reply to Battersea, 9 months ago

That was greatly entertaining!

dfanning's gear list:dfanning's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rservello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?

Sadly this happens in all professions.  I haven't had too many companies ask me for free work, but I've gotten my fair share of insulting bids!

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Apple Aperture +3 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Battersea wrote:

A great answer to major magazine asking for free "professional high resolution" photographs but they say the poor little rich company cannot pay anything for them.

It's a a rather silly response. Best to just say not interested and move on.

sshoihet
Senior MemberPosts: 2,368Gear list
Like?
In reply to Basalite, 9 months ago

Basalite wrote:

Battersea wrote:

The majority of her response is aimed at other photographers urging them to value their work and not work for free, esp when someone comes to you, someone that is going to make money from your work.  Towards the end of the article she provides some good advice for avenues to pursue if you do want to exchange work for exposure.  I do a lot of work for free, almost all of it for charity and the rest I do because I feel there's something I can gain from the experience.

If we want corporate culture to value photography again we have to stand up for it and stop giving it away.

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 +14 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to sshoihet, 9 months ago

sshoihet wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Battersea wrote:

The majority of her response is aimed at other photographers urging them to value their work and not work for free, esp when someone comes to you, someone that is going to make money from your work. Towards the end of the article she provides some good advice for avenues to pursue if you do want to exchange work for exposure. I do a lot of work for free, almost all of it for charity and the rest I do because I feel there's something I can gain from the experience.

If we want corporate culture to value photography again we have to stand up for it and stop giving it away.

What that magazine is doing also existed during the film era. The lady responding may have good intentions but she is, I think, underestimating the intelligence of the people you say she is trying to address.

sshoihet
Senior MemberPosts: 2,368Gear list
Like?

Basalite wrote:

sshoihet wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Battersea wrote:

The majority of her response is aimed at other photographers urging them to value their work and not work for free, esp when someone comes to you, someone that is going to make money from your work. Towards the end of the article she provides some good advice for avenues to pursue if you do want to exchange work for exposure. I do a lot of work for free, almost all of it for charity and the rest I do because I feel there's something I can gain from the experience.

What that magazine is doing also existed during the film era. The lady responding may have good intentions but she is, I think, underestimating the intelligence of the people you say she is trying to address.

I think it's more likely that she's overestimating their intelligence... but in any case, I don't think  we should ever be apathetic just because we think our message might be wasted. I appreciate that she's passionate about what she believes.

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 +14 more
Jim Salvas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,926Gear list
Like?

Well, she got me to look at her website, so that worked.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
chris102
Senior MemberPosts: 1,382Gear list
Like?

Battersea wrote:

This really stinks.  But it IS something I'd believe.  When suckers give their work to corporate giants who are unwilling to pay, shame on both of them.

Reputable publications like The New York Times and other new media publishers will also send out solicitations to work they see on the web.  But they also offer a competitive rate, without even needing to be asked.  All you've got to do is respond within a short time span, and they send you a check.

That's how crowdsourced content should work.

-- hide signature --
 chris102's gear list:chris102's gear list
Lytro Light Field 8GB +3 more
crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,409Gear list
Like?
In reply to chris102, 9 months ago

There must be compensation everytime. Some way or another. If you don´t compensate, you easily disintegrate "nature ballance" of life. What If I sell new cars for free? Thousands of people are going to be fired, because GM will not be able to profit and pay its employees. It´s that easy. So free? Unless the is not life-threatening situation, free is no-go. I pay for everything. Or at least donate for freeware....

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,786
Like?

Basalite wrote:

sshoihet wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Battersea wrote:

Sadly, there will be people who respond to such spam (that is what it is. They probably send out thousands of such emails. You don't even need to view the photographers' websites. If the website is properly metatagged, it will come up in a search database, and then a narrower search for a particular type of photo can be done. Yes, they can do a search for "smiling baby image" if they have the right software, and never actually see the photo they cite in the email).

Professionals of all genres report dealing with attempts at free usage. I even know of a fine art photographer who reported being approached by businesses offering "free display space" for his photos. If he would let them use his photos, they would include his contact information on the frame. Would they be selling his photos? Oh no, they would only be for display and "Free advertising" for the photographer. He declined.

Kirk Tuck has posted about this phenomenon on his blog several times.

-- hide signature --

If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Haha!

Thank you for sharing!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads