Landscape lens for NEX3

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
hondav21098
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
Landscape lens for NEX3
11 months ago

Whats a good sharp landscape lens for my NEX3 . Legacy or new . I have heard a lot of praise for the Sigma 19 & 30 . I find my 18-55 is not wide sometimes .

hondav21098's gear list:hondav21098's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +2 more
Sony Alpha NEX-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Wordsmith9091
Regular MemberPosts: 219
Like?
Re: Landscape lens for NEX3
In reply to hondav21098, 11 months ago

Well the Sigma 19mm, though a very nice lens, isn't going to be any wider than your 18-55.

There's the Sony 16mm pancake, though most people here have been unimpressed by it. You can get the Sony Ultrawide extender to bring it down to 12mm, which is nice and wide, but again, the quality is going to be awfully meh.

The Sony 20mm, which works as well with the UW extender, is a decent choice, from what I've seen on these forums, though I haven't tried them myself. Together, they get you down to 15mm. But the cost is a bit more.

Some people have paired the Sigma 19mm with a Panasonic ultrawide converter -- it works, but not very well, according to the various forum posts. Again, haven't tried it myself. I just ordered a Sigma 19mm, so I'm still hoping someone finds a good UW extender option for it.

There's a couple of 8mm fisheyes marketed as either Rokinon or Samyang, depending on where you look. I've seen several posts from people who get great results using the Hemi plugin for PS or Lightroom to correct the fisheye distortion, still maintaining very strong picture quality. And then, of course, you can just use it as an intended, as a fisheye, and get some awfully interesting pictures. It's manual focus only, but stopped down just a bit, you've got pretty much the full range from shortly in front of you out to infinity in focus anyway.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,689Gear list
Like?
In reply to Wordsmith9091, 11 months ago

If you want to see some stunning landscapes taken with a Nex camera then look here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uberdogleg/with/11730462796/

He has the EXIF dated in his files, most are shot with the SEL-1018 lens.

Not cheap but a brilliant landscape lens.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Nikon 1 V2 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +6 more
mountaindrew22
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?

Wordsmith9091 wrote:

Well the Sigma 19mm, though a very nice lens, isn't going to be any wider than your 18-55.

There's the Sony 16mm pancake, though most people here have been unimpressed by it. You can get the Sony Ultrawide extender to bring it down to 12mm, which is nice and wide, but again, the quality is going to be awfully meh.

The Sony 20mm, which works as well with the UW extender, is a decent choice, from what I've seen on these forums, though I haven't tried them myself. Together, they get you down to 15mm. But the cost is a bit more.

Some people have paired the Sigma 19mm with a Panasonic ultrawide converter -- it works, but not very well, according to the various forum posts. Again, haven't tried it myself. I just ordered a Sigma 19mm, so I'm still hoping someone finds a good UW extender option for it.

There's a couple of 8mm fisheyes marketed as either Rokinon or Samyang, depending on where you look. I've seen several posts from people who get great results using the Hemi plugin for PS or Lightroom to correct the fisheye distortion, still maintaining very strong picture quality. And then, of course, you can just use it as an intended, as a fisheye, and get some awfully interesting pictures. It's manual focus only, but stopped down just a bit, you've got pretty much the full range from shortly in front of you out to infinity in focus anyway.

Did anyone compare the 19mm + adapter vs 20mm + adapter?

Son Of Mustang Ford
Regular MemberPosts: 318
Like?

Wordsmith9091 wrote:

the 16mm pancake has had many favourable posts on this forum - and the combination with the UWA is often (it seems) more liked than the 16mm by itself.

stoppingdown
Regular MemberPosts: 405Gear list
Like?
In reply to Son Of Mustang Ford, 11 months ago

I second the suggestion of the SEL1018 - just check carefully the quality of your copy when you get it. If it's a good copy, it's sharp. Here you can find a review of mine, after the first trip with it (no full size samples, but if you click on a photo it will pop up at full browser size, up to 4MP).

-- hide signature --

Fabrizio Giudici

stoppingdown's gear list:stoppingdown's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +8 more
stoppingdown
Regular MemberPosts: 405Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, 11 months ago

Definitely the best Sony showcase I've seen so far.

-- hide signature --

Fabrizio Giudici

stoppingdown's gear list:stoppingdown's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +8 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,684Gear list
Like?

First of all you should upgrade your NEX-3 to at least a NEX-3F or newer. The NEX-3 does not do distortion correction so that no matter which Sony lens you use, the camera body will be unsuitable for landscapes.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
hondav21098
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, 11 months ago

captura wrote:

First of all you should upgrade your NEX-3 to at least a NEX-3F or newer. The NEX-3 does not do distortion correction so that no matter which Sony lens you use, the camera body will be unsuitable for landscapes.

Thats first time I have heard that . I might watch out for another body I would like a 6 but they seen to hold there price in NZ . There is a few 5s coming up for sale so might up grade . I travel Asia 6-8 months of the year so dont like having a lot of money in camera and travel gear.

hondav21098's gear list:hondav21098's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +2 more
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 8,744
Like?

Wordsmith9091 wrote:

No, it isn't.

The 16mm is improved by the UltraWide adapter and with it can give very good sharp results. My guess is that the lens was designed mainly to work with the UWA.

Some people got bad copies.

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 8,744
Like?
In reply to captura, 11 months ago

captura wrote:

I agree that it is worth while to upgrade from the original NEX-3.

But distortion is not a problem in landscapes as there are no straight lines. Cityscapes are a different matter.

Sol Invictus
Regular MemberPosts: 287Gear list
Like?

Also, take a look at a couple of high quality lenses by Zeiss. The Zeiss Touit f2.8/12mm prime and the Zeiss SEL1670 zoom lens. Both are pretty expensive though but quality comes at a price...

-- hide signature --

To see a world in a grain of sand and a heaven in a wild flower, hold Infinity in the palm of your hand and Eternity in an hour...

Sol Invictus's gear list:Sol Invictus's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS ACDSee Pro 5 HDRsoft Photomatix Pro DxO Optics Pro Elite +4 more
captura
Like?

hondav21098 wrote:

captura wrote:

Thats first time I have heard that . I might watch out for another body I would like a 6 but they seen to hold there price in NZ . There is a few 5s coming up for sale so might up grade . I travel Asia 6-8 months of the year so dont like having a lot of money in camera and travel gear.

Even a NEX-3N will have distortion correction built in.

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
captura
Like?
In reply to Sol Invictus, 11 months ago

Sol Invictus wrote:

Also, take a look at a couple of high quality lenses by Zeiss. The Zeiss Touit f2.8/12mm prime and the Zeiss SEL1670 zoom lens. Both are pretty expensive though but quality comes at a price...

-- hide signature --

To see a world in a grain of sand and a heaven in a wild flower, hold Infinity in the palm of your hand and Eternity in an hour...

Fr as I know, all of the native NEX lenses require ditortion correction. Thatis part of the design nowadays, same thing with M43 lenses.

captura
Like?

hondav21098 wrote:

captura wrote:

I would hold out for the newest, the 5T. It has the Play Memories disabling device same as the A7, which hugely improves battery life.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads