50mm Prime with Resolution for a D800? Come on Nikon/Sigma!

Started Jan 4, 2014 | Questions
Scott McMorrow
Regular MemberPosts: 365
Like?
Re: 50mm Prime with Resolution for a D800? Come on Nikon/Sigma!
In reply to Bostjan Pulko, Jan 7, 2014

Bostjan,

Thank you for correcting my mistake.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
light_bulb
Contributing MemberPosts: 598
Like?
In reply to light_bulb, 2 months ago

Getting back half a year after having bought the Sigma 50/1.4 Art I have to say it is in a different league. Whether for city-/landscaping, architecture or portraits wide open or stopped down, just amazing. Even more so on a D800E.
Should be a wake-up call for Nikon.
--
http://home.fotocommunity.de/andreaspastowski

Giovanni_1968
Senior MemberPosts: 1,545Gear list
Like?

Had kind of your same issue, not really related to lens resolving power but just to update my old 50D/1.4 which still does its damn job pretty well and which I used to absolutely love by the times it was glued on my Fuji S5Pros; now on FF my favorite is the 85G/1.8 and I kinda miss the res and sharpness of the 85 in the 50 so I thought that sooner or later I would upgrade but where to end up? Nikon lineup not worth the pain, 50G not a big deal compared to the old D version, the 58 absolutely out of my weirdest dreams, the Sigma seems a damn good candidate but, again, 900 euros/dollars for a 50 is still a lot of money but there seems to be no other candidates.

Would you mind pointing me at some shots with the Sigma A mounted on D800 to check sharpness wide open?

Thank you

-- hide signature --

Giovanni
http://www.flickr.com/photos/giovanniaprea/
Nikon D800 - Fuji X-Pro1 - Fuji S5Pro - Panasonic L1 shooter
JN70CN - 14.14.30E 40.32.40N

Giovanni_1968's gear list:Giovanni_1968's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +11 more
Benjamin Kanarek
Senior MemberPosts: 1,410Gear list
Like?

When needing a 50mm focal length, I use the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 G series. I just used it for a 10 page fashion story for VOGUE as well as for Harper's BAZAAR. Sharper than the Nikon 50mm f/1.4G and on par with everything else out there. So what's the problem...really? Please explain to me what it is that you are not satisfied with. My work has been blown up to 5 x 3.5 meters i.e. 20x15 feet.

For Harper's BAZAAR Nikon 50mm f/1.8 G lens shot wide open at f/1.8 at 400 iso.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads