whats up with my FZ200 images

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Timj351
Senior MemberPosts: 2,041
Like?
Re: f/8 (like f/22) isn't always a no-no
In reply to Ronomy, 8 months ago

It's funny how you can try a bunch of things out for yourself and then eventually discover that in a lot of a cases most of your settings are exactly what the camera would choose. I generally work in M or A modes but it's really nice knowing that at any given moment I can just put the camera in P and just frame and shoot away.

I think I will study up on diffraction a little more. One of the things I wonder about is if it is directly related to shutter speeds. For example, if you were using F8 and set a slower shutter speed by using a ND filter and a tripod can you get sharper results than with a faster shutter speed?

-Tim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sherman_levine
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,617Gear list
Like?
In reply to Timj351, 8 months ago

Timj351 wrote:

It's funny how you can try a bunch of things out for yourself and then eventually discover that in a lot of a cases most of your settings are exactly what the camera would choose. I generally work in M or A modes but it's really nice knowing that at any given moment I can just put the camera in P and just frame and shoot away.

I think I will study up on diffraction a little more. One of the things I wonder about is if it is directly related to shutter speeds. For example, if you were using F8 and set a slower shutter speed by using a ND filter and a tripod can you get sharper results than with a faster shutter speed?

-Tim

Nope

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
daRRski
Contributing MemberPosts: 937Gear list
Like?
In reply to Timj351, 8 months ago

+1

I had a look at the images..and it looks like some are out of focus...or image stabilization was off or not working properly..I get similar shot if I push my luck with  AIS 135mm and 200mm primes with shutter speed below 1/125.

daRRski's gear list:daRRski's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus Tough TG-2 Canon EOS 5D Nikon D70s Nikon D7100 +20 more
cmc1
Regular MemberPosts: 151Gear list
Like?
In reply to daRRski, 8 months ago

daRRski wrote:

+1

I had a look at the images..and it looks like some are out of focus...or image stabilization was off or not working properly..I get similar shot if I push my luck with AIS 135mm and 200mm primes with shutter speed below 1/125.

IS was on and timer used. I did hold the camera for some of the shots it was  rested on bench/fence

cmc1's gear list:cmc1's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +1 more
daRRski
Like?
In reply to cmc1, 8 months ago

Hi

I do understand your frustration ....but in this case after viewing the RAW files you have sent me..I would take the camera back...if it's possible..because there is definitively something wrong with IS...the problem I see is that there is no noise or artifacts issue...those are easily recoverable ..but 3 out of the 4 files had focus issues...or IS not engaging ..but anyway....from playing with those files and down-sampling them to 1200 and printing them on my Epson 8x10...they were not that bad ...4x6 were very good...if I could get your permission to post them here I will ...I would be o.k with them..those were printable anyway... I not sure how long you had the FZ200...but with my experience with D7100 ..I was ready to throw that camera against the wall ...lol...was past the return date  lol :-P....and then I had to micro adjust all my lenses to really see what it's capable of...according to Nikon...it was "normal" to do that ..but before I found out , I thought it was worst camera ever  lol

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus Tough TG-2 Canon EOS 5D Nikon D70s Nikon D7100 +20 more
bruckshaw1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,058Gear list
Like?
Re: whats up with my FZ200 images

To Cmc1,

I have tried to replicate the conditions and settings of the original iomage. It's a bright day where I live so I could not get an outdoor long shot as he did. I settled for indoor natural light.

On the FZ200 in A mode I set f/8 and ISO 400. As luck would have it the camera chose 1/80 sec which is the same as the OP image.

The result on the camera LCD (8X) showed the same grainy appearance as the original image. Without developing the RW2 file I now agree with the general concensus that the problem is those settings.. Another lesson learned for me at least.

Eric

bruckshaw1's gear list:bruckshaw1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +1 more
cmc1
Regular MemberPosts: 151Gear list
Like?
In reply to bruckshaw1, 8 months ago

bruckshaw1 wrote:

To Cmc1,

I have tried to replicate the conditions and settings of the original iomage. It's a bright day where I live so I could not get an outdoor long shot as he did. I settled for indoor natural light.

On the FZ200 in A mode I set f/8 and ISO 400. As luck would have it the camera chose 1/80 sec which is the same as the OP image.

The result on the camera LCD (8X) showed the same grainy appearance as the original image. Without developing the RW2 file I now agree with the general concensus that the problem is those settings.. Another lesson learned for me at least.

Eric

Here's another at F2.8 camera was stable on a bench or fence (I can't remember) I made the focus point smaller to focus on the Ducks eye but the image still looks slightly out of focus and blurry

cmc1's gear list:cmc1's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +1 more
daRRski
Like?

Maybe a little better..maybe ?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads