Screen protector

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Mike Stratil
Contributing MemberPosts: 665
Like?
Screen protector
10 months ago

(a) What screen protector do you recommend for the A7R?

(b) I have looked at the Sony PCKLM16. It seems that one gets only 1 in a package; is that correct?

-- hide signature --

Michael S

Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Brewhop
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?
Re: Screen protector
In reply to Mike Stratil, 10 months ago

I have three Sonys, A99, A7r, RX100, and use this screen protector on all three. They are designed to fit each model and work great. Once you put it in place you wont even know it is there.  Well worth the money.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,974
Like?
In reply to Brewhop, 10 months ago

Brewhop wrote:

I have three Sonys, A99, A7r, RX100, and use this screen protector on all three. They are designed to fit each model and work great. Once you put it in place you wont even know it is there. Well worth the money.

I use the Sony as well and I'm generally positive about it but I will say that I find it to be a little less rugged, scratch resistant, etc vs the GGS protectors I've used in the past.

Mike Stratil
Like?
In reply to Brewhop, 10 months ago

Thanks, Brewhop.

Do you get only one per package?

-- hide signature --

Michael S

Clayton1985
Like?

Mike Stratil wrote:

Thanks, Brewhop.

Do you get only one per package?

-- hide signature --

Michael S

Yes, it is only one per package.

quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,884Gear list
Like?

I got this.  Works perfectly, and didn't have any problems being placed under tap water to clean it before a second application after I messed up the first one.

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,936Gear list
Like?
For those of you using screen protectors
In reply to quezra, 10 months ago

Can you comment on how much (or how little) glare you get from the screen protector versus the stock anti-reflective coating of the screen?

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,884Gear list
Like?
Re: For those of you using screen protectors
In reply to SQLGuy, 10 months ago

Unfortunately there has hardly been any sun here and also I've been shooting almost exclusively with EVF so I haven't noted glare at all.  But I guess when I have shot with the display I didn't notice it so far.

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
Sumava
New MemberPosts: 19Gear list
Like?
Re: For those of you using screen protectors
In reply to SQLGuy, 10 months ago

SQLGuy wrote:

Can you comment on how much (or how little) glare you get from the screen protector versus the stock anti-reflective coating of the screen?

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

For what it's worth, I haven't noticed any difference in glare between the two.

Sumava's gear list:Sumava's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Robgo2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,554
Like?

You will have a hard time finding a screen protector as good as the Giotto.

Giotto screen protector

Rob

Mike Stratil
Like?

Thanks to everyone for their input. It has been very helpful.

-- hide signature --

Michael S

TriniArt2
Regular MemberPosts: 343Gear list
Like?

Since smartphone screens are now generally bigger than the camera screens, I use those. Cut to size and works great. Been using phone screen protectors on my cameras for the last 4 years.

They're cheaper(generic ones) and you usually get two in a pack.

I cut to size and re stick or stick new tape on the cut portion to enable peel off.

TriniArt2's gear list:TriniArt2's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +13 more
Clayton1985
Like?
In reply to Robgo2, 10 months ago

Robgo2 wrote:

Giotto screen protector

Rob

Rob -- have you used this on the A7/r?  I'm wondering about the fit and whether the edges of the screen protector cover any of the LCD information.

TriniArt2
Regular MemberPosts: 343Gear list
Like?
In reply to TriniArt2, 10 months ago

Here's a pic with the cut phone screen protector fitted. I had first used an old matt protector but it was not very good for viewing on the screen, so I fitted a clear one and it works great.

TriniArt2's gear list:TriniArt2's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +13 more
Robgo2
Like?
In reply to Clayton1985, 10 months ago

Clayton1985 wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

Giotto screen protector

Rob

Rob -- have you used this on the A7/r? I'm wondering about the fit and whether the edges of the screen protector cover any of the LCD information.

No, I have not used it on an A7/R but on a Pentax K-5II.  Both cameras have 3 inch LCD screens measured diagonally, so the screen protector should fit exactly the same.  On my Pentax, none of the screen itself is covered.  I cannot guarantee that the A7/R is exactly 3 inches, having never measured it, but for $25, you don't have much to lose, especially if you can return the item, if it does not fit.

Rob

Clayton1985
Like?
In reply to Robgo2, 10 months ago

Robgo2 wrote:

Clayton1985 wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

Giotto screen protector

Rob

Rob -- have you used this on the A7/r? I'm wondering about the fit and whether the edges of the screen protector cover any of the LCD information.

No, I have not used it on an A7/R but on a Pentax K-5II. Both cameras have 3 inch LCD screens measured diagonally, so the screen protector should fit exactly the same. On my Pentax, none of the screen itself is covered. I cannot guarantee that the A7/R is exactly 3 inches, having never measured it, but for $25, you don't have much to lose, especially if you can return the item, if it does not fit.

Rob

I actually have one that I haven't installed yet.  It looks very close on the edges so I was just curious if you or anyone else had already tested it.   I'll report back once I get a chance to try it.

Robgo2
Like?
In reply to Clayton1985, 10 months ago

Clayton1985 wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

Clayton1985 wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

Giotto screen protector

Rob

No, I have not used it on an A7/R but on a Pentax K-5II. Both cameras have 3 inch LCD screens measured diagonally, so the screen protector should fit exactly the same. On my Pentax, none of the screen itself is covered. I cannot guarantee that the A7/R is exactly 3 inches, having never measured it, but for $25, you don't have much to lose, especially if you can return the item, if it does not fit.

Rob

I actually have one that I haven't installed yet. It looks very close on the edges so I was just curious if you or anyone else had already tested it. I'll report back once I get a chance to try it.

Clayton,

Screen protectors are supposed to fit very closely around the borders of the screen.  I think that it will be fine.

Rob

Mike Stratil
Like?
Warning about the Giotto

I have measured my A7R screen. It is 3" L X 2 3/16" W, with a 3 11/16" diagonal. Thus, the Giotto, with a 3" diagonal, is far too small for the A7R.

-- hide signature --

Michael S

Mike Stratil
Like?
Clarification

The dimensions I gave above are for the entire screen. The active area of the A7R is 2 9/16" L x

1 9/16" H, with a 2 3/4" diagonal. So the Giotto will work if one only wants to cover the active area.

-- hide signature --

Michael S

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads