D5300 vs EOS 70D

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
KKhan
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
D5300 vs EOS 70D
8 months ago

Please help me choose between the two cameras. I am new to DSLR and would love to learn more.

I already bought 70D few days ago. It takes stunning pictures. AF is amazing as long as you are using the view finder. WIFI for me has held good and I am able to freely move pictures to cell phones and post on facebook and whatsapp. I have been really wowed with this camera. I havenot used my flash at all with this camera. The only thing that bugs me is the weight. Almost 700 gms + 200-300 gms for lenses.

That brings me to Nikon 5300, everything almost similar. But the body is 500 gms almost 200 gms lighter than 70D.

I wanted to ask you guys, should I stick with 70 D where I know the pictures have been amazing and I would get used to extra 200 gms of weight in time or is D5300 same as 70D and worthwhile going down on the extra weight if that is bugging me. What are the big differences between the two cameras?

Here are the spec sheets for

70 d: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-70d/2

5300: http://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/slrs/nikon_d5300/specifications

Also: http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-SLR-Cameras/1519/D5300.html

I wish I could try d5300 in a store but cant find it in Portland, OR ( I m here till Sunday)  before I go back to Kansas City.

Canon EOS 70D Nikon D5300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
leno
Senior MemberPosts: 1,085Gear list
Like?
Re: D5300 vs EOS 70D
In reply to KKhan, 8 months ago

Prices for the two cameras are a little differant which should sugest that they are not direct competitors. The better match would be the D7100, but that would be the same size as your current camera. If you like what you have then pehaps it would make sense to look at the lower level Canons. But then again if you are just posting on the web you realy don't need a top of the range dLSR. You could have looked at the mirrorless range and saved even more weight and size.

leno's gear list:leno's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
karl eller
Regular MemberPosts: 255Gear list
Like?

KKhan wrote:

Please help me choose between the two cameras. I am new to DSLR and would love to learn more.

I already bought 70D few days ago. It takes stunning pictures. AF is amazing as long as you are using the view finder. WIFI for me has held good and I am able to freely move pictures to cell phones and post on facebook and whatsapp. I have been really wowed with this camera. I havenot used my flash at all with this camera. The only thing that bugs me is the weight. Almost 700 gms + 200-300 gms for lenses.

That brings me to Nikon 5300, everything almost similar. But the body is 500 gms almost 200 gms lighter than 70D.

I wanted to ask you guys, should I stick with 70 D where I know the pictures have been amazing and I would get used to extra 200 gms of weight in time or is D5300 same as 70D and worthwhile going down on the extra weight if that is bugging me. What are the big differences between the two cameras?

Here are the spec sheets for

70 d: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-70d/2

5300: http://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/slrs/nikon_d5300/specifications

Also: http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-SLR-Cameras/1519/D5300.html

I wish I could try d5300 in a store but cant find it in Portland, OR ( I m here till Sunday) before I go back to Kansas City.

200g really isn't that much, and you'll get used to it quickly. Mean while the 70D is a higher-level DSLR to the D5300, it's on par with the D7100 and shares a lot of the pro-level features like top LCD screen, two control dials and Auto Focus adjustments.

If you were really that concerned about weight, you'd be better off going mirrorless.

karl eller's gear list:karl eller's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
belofty
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?

I think you need to stick with Canon ESO 70D, it's better in terms of performance, functionality and exceptional image quality and processing speed. It's bit heavy but perfect for photography and fun. You can check all the reviews for satisfaction on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DMS0LCO?tag=dp13-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B00DMS0LCO&adid=0GC4HP6ZBFRDJVB52HQ2

One thing is the handling problem, It's little bit difficult to handle and operate for early birds that's why beginners prefer Nikon initially.Nikon D5300 is relatively low cost, have 24.2 megapixel with DX-format image sensor and better auto focus functionality. The best thing is you can operate it easily and take pictures freely. With it's built-in Wi-Fi you can easily share photos to your smartphone or tablet. I like its GPS recording function much. So I think for beginners it's a better option to start with. For more reviews and reference http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FY3T3TM?tag=dp13-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B00FY3T3TM&adid=1HX8RVGDWYFYEQYSERM8

Hope you get the answer.

Thank you

OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,457Gear list
Like?

I see in a previous discussion you created you are interested in photographs of pets and children , fast low light autofocus especially in LIVE LCD mode.

Read all the dpreview reviews for Nikon APS-C cameras and look in the conclusions sections for Cons.  You will see slow AF in Live View is a problem with Nikon APS-C cameras   (I have a D7100 and can verify it is not slow, it is super-slow.  If you are talking about pets and childern, they won't even still be in frame before the AF has a chance to lock.)

My Sony A65 is much better in this regard.   But that camera is two years old with an updated version coming this spring supposedly.   I am really quite interested to see what they come up with.

I would suggest sticking with the Canon 70D for at least six months and then see what else is out there.

When I got my first DSLR, it seemed large and heavy.  I was really surpised at how fast I got used to the size and weight.  I almost never think about it anymore.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +22 more
KKhan
Like?

Can some one educate me why these two cameras are in different class? What features make them different?

OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,457Gear list
Like?

I think by "different class" you mean something like dpreview saying the D5300 for "advanced beginners" versus the dpreview saying the 70D is a "mid-range DSLR for enthusiasts"

Beginner implies lower cost and/or easier to use  (fewer settings you can adjust)

Enthusiast implies either higher cost and/or harder to use  (more settings you can adjust, or more knobs and buttons to get to them quickly without going through menus).

In this case, I think it is mostly a matter of cost that gets the enthusiast label applied to the 70D.   Both cameras have huge numbers of settings you can play with.  Or you can just set either camera to full auto and click away.

Sometimes enthusiast implies a camera that will get used a lot, and suffer occassional bumps, so it needs to be built more robustly or with a shutter that will last more than 150,000 cycles.    That kind of thinking applies if you compare a D5300 to a D7100.

When talking APS-C DSLRs, image quality between beginer and enthusiast models is extremely close.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +22 more
Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,101Gear list
Like?

KKhan wrote:

Can some one educate me why these two cameras are in different class? What features make them different?

The 70D has a larger and brighter viewfinder than the D5300. It also has a sensor capable of good autofocus during video.  It has dual control dials and an information screen on the top plate. These features enable easier changing of operating settings.

All of these features make the 70D a more capable camera. Of course, you can take pictures that are exactly as good with the D5300 but it's more work.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
karl eller
Regular MemberPosts: 255Gear list
Like?

KKhan wrote:

The Nikon D3x00 and say Canon 600D (or the 1100D or SL-1) are entry-level consumer cameras, built cheap with fairly average build quality and features removed. Still nice cameras, but manufacturers have to cut costs somewhere.

The D5x00 and 650/700D are mid-level consumer cameras, better build quality than their entry-level relatives, and more features, but still mostly plastic and still missing some things.

The D7x00 and 70D are enthusiast-level consumer cameras which start getting features from professional cameras. They have better build qualities incorporating more metal into their body, weather sealing, bigger, brighter viewfinders, dual control dials, autofocus fine tuning, On-sensor PDAF for the 70D, in-body AF motor for the D7x00, they generally start incorporating wireless flash controls and, as a result, tend to be a little bit bigger and heavier.

karl eller's gear list:karl eller's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
KKhan
Like?
In reply to OpticsEngineer, 8 months ago

OpticsEngineer wrote:

I see in a previous discussion you created you are interested in photographs of pets and children , fast low light autofocus especially in LIVE LCD mode.

Read all the dpreview reviews for Nikon APS-C cameras and look in the conclusions sections for Cons. You will see slow AF in Live View is a problem with Nikon APS-C cameras (I have a D7100 and can verify it is not slow, it is super-slow. If you are talking about pets and childern, they won't even still be in frame before the AF has a chance to lock.)

My Sony A65 is much better in this regard. But that camera is two years old with an updated version coming this spring supposedly. I am really quite interested to see what they come up with.

I would suggest sticking with the Canon 70D for at least six months and then see what else is out there.

When I got my first DSLR, it seemed large and heavy. I was really surpised at how fast I got used to the size and weight. I almost never think about it anymore.

THANKS THANKS THANKS

KKhan
Like?
In reply to Leonard Migliore, 8 months ago

Leonard Migliore wrote:

KKhan wrote:

The 70D has a larger and brighter viewfinder than the D5300. It also has a sensor capable of good autofocus during video. It has dual control dials and an information screen on the top plate. These features enable easier changing of operating settings.

All of these features make the 70D a more capable camera. Of course, you can take pictures that are exactly as good with the D5300 but it's more work.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Thanks for explaining it so well

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads