Digilux 3

Started 7 months ago | User reviews
PLAMBERT
New MemberPosts: 19Gear list
Like?
Digilux 3
7 months ago

Just bought a 2006 Digilux 3 and updated the firmware without problems. I walked alongside the Thames from Richmond upriver on a sunny day with lots of interesting sights on the river. I was amazed at the beautiful pictures the camera produced. I use Raw and polish up the results in Pshop Elements 10. The kit lens is a sharp Leica 14-50mm f2.8 zoom equivalent to 28-100mm. You view the image through a somewhat dim reflex viewfinder or live view on the rear screen, which I used to get a very sharp picture of a small plant using a Vivitar 50mm macro lens, OM2 mount + 4/3 adapter ring. Maximum enlargement soon gets limited by pixillation.

The camera is bulky (after micro four thirds), so is the Leica zoom- the combined weight is similar to my D50 and long zoom; build quality seems better.Lots of manual control.

The flash pops up to the bounce flash position or beyond for direct flash. I have difficulty actually getting the flash to light so need to read the pdf manual again.

Just bought an 11-22mm Olympus zoom for architecture; sharp, lacks antishake or aperture ring. Phil

PLAMBERT's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
okay
Action / sports
mediocre
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
good
Studio / still life
good
= community average
Leica Digilux 3 Nikon D50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Edward48
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,181
Like?
Re: Digilux 3
In reply to PLAMBERT, 7 months ago

Very interesting to see your opinion of this excellent camera. I bought the Panasonic version of it (the L1) when it was introduced in 2007. I used it regularly until I sold it in 2012, and sometimes wish I hadn't.

I don't know your focal length preferences, but can highly recommend these two, very different, native 4/3rds lenses.

The Pana/Leica 25mm (50mm equivalent) - a bit on the large side but has an aperture ring and produces wonderful 'Leica like' images.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/lenses/panasonic_leica_25_1p4

The Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 macro. 70mm (35mm equivalent), cheap, but small and pin sharp, specially for macro close up use.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/olympus/lenses/oly_35_3p5_macro

I hope you have as much pleasure out of the Digilux 3 as I had from my L1.

All the best
Mike

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
chkproductions
Contributing MemberPosts: 787
Like?
In reply to PLAMBERT, 7 months ago

It was great to see your review of the Digilux 3 and that so many others have been submitted. I have used on since it came out, had the lens fixed under warranty and have been very pleased with it ever since. It's technology is surely outdated but not it's sensor which it truly special in my opinion. It's RAW files are extremely malleable in post.  It's not a sports/fast action or low light camera by today's standards but it works well in most situations.  The simplicity of its controls are what I really like about it.  It's interesting that it is the predecessor of most of the "retro" manual control cameras being sold today.  Most importantly are the quality of the files it can produce.

One thing about its pop-up flash - mine doesn't always come on initially when activated.  I think it's that the electrical connections begin to loosen.  I close it and pop it up a few times until I see the little flash symbol show up on the LCD.  It has always come on but the camera should probably go back for an overhaul.  When I called Leica NJ they did tell me it would go back to Germany for repair and would be gone for a month or so.  So I've lived with the flash issue.

Have a great time with the camera.

PLAMBERT
Like?
In reply to Edward48, 7 months ago

Nice to read that. I added an 11-22mm Olympus for interiors and a Vivitar macro 50mm so will probably try to use these when the weather permits.

Regards

-- hide signature --

phil

PLAMBERT
Like?
In reply to chkproductions, 7 months ago

chkproductions wrote:

. Most importantly are the quality of the files it can produce.

One thing about its pop-up flash - mine doesn't always come on initially when activated. I think it's that the electrical connections begin to loosen. I close it and pop it up a few times until I see the little flash symbol show up on the LCD

The images are remarkably good. Even pictures for eBay sales that I used to take with a Canon S90 (and was impressed by) are now done on the Digilux because they look so much better. Leica got it right. It's a good walkabout camera when out with friends so need to frame the picture quickly and shoot. I use an M9 when out taking pictures by myself:a much more deliberate process and no zooms.

The flash seems to work now.

Regards

phil

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads